• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I actually own a small Smash bros. channel. If you start it up, I'd love to collab sometime.
Still working on how I would do it but I have some of my stuff recorded. Basically, it would me be talking about Smash and **** and other games I like and speculating about stuff while driving and hopefully not crashing into a rice field. Might call it “Driving Speculation”. I’m trying to figure out how I can video track with my video editor so I can blur out listened plates or possibly people

Currently mine is basically uploading music I want in Smash as well as faux character videos like what we see on the site.

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Make him like, unnaturally calm. Don't conform to the usual "kill your henchmen becausr they disobeyed you" tropes and such but make him have like tranquil fury when his plans are ruined, for example. Like Kingpin in Spiderverse, he was so calm throughout the whole movie that when he flipped out if was terrifying
Kingpin in the Netflix Daredevil show is great too. Calm and collected for the most part, then he just bashes some dude's head in with a car door.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Still working on how I would do it but I have some of my stuff recorded. Basically, it would me be talking about Smash and **** and other games I like and speculating about stuff while driving and hopefully not crashing into a rice field. Might call it “Driving Speculation”

Currently mine is basically uploading music I want in Smash as well as faux character videos like what we see on the site.
Interesting! Send me a link once you got your first video out.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I want to make my villain intimidating, any tips as to how I can achieve this feat?
How do you want them to be intimidating? "Intimidating" is quite a broad criteria, and it's difficult to help you with just that information.

What's your current idea of them? Do they have a backstory? What do they do?

I'd recommend you read up on villain tropes and find what you like. Here are some references:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Villains
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/WriteAVillain
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilTropes

Additionally, look into villains that you personally find intimidating. What makes them like that? How can you emulate that without ripping it off?

Between these two methods I think you can get a solid starting point.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Oh I agree. I'm just saying that kid wasn't being very kind.
My nephew owns a Switch and ONLY plays Fortnite on it. Considering he has a brother and other family members who are interested in gaming, you'd think they'd have my old gaming arrangements as a kid and have to share it, but these are pretty naive parents they have. Turns out he didn't develop the healthy habits they thought, who'd have thunk it? :yoshi:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
How do you want them to be intimidating? "Intimidating" is quite a broad criteria, and it's difficult to help you with just that information.

What's your current idea of them? Do they have a backstory? What do they do?

I'd recommend you read up on villain tropes and find what you like. Here are some references:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Villains
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/WriteAVillain
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilTropes

Additionally, look into villains that you personally find intimidating. What makes them like that? How can you emulate that without ripping it off?

Between these two methods I think you can get a solid starting point.
You linked TV Tropes?

Now someone’s gonna go there, get lost for an hour, and wonder where time went 5 days latter.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I want to make my villain intimidating, any tips as to how I can achieve this feat?
Action.

The biggest problem with modern bland villains is having them sit idly by while the story focuses entirely on the heroes. No one is frightened or in awe of a scary-looking dude standing around offscreen. Give him moments to be villainous. Give him his own plot and motivations and supporting cast so that, even if we don't like him, we learn about him and invest in him.

It also helps if you give him a signature moment that puts us in awe or in fear of him. One of my favorite parts of Dragonball Super was when we first see Goku Black facing off with Trunks in the future. Trunks turns super saiyan and drives forward with a punch to the gut to send Black flying backward-- and throughout the attack, with Trunk's fist still in his gut, Black is cackling like it's a joke. It's monstrous and ominous and disturbing and I love it.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I still feel a certain way about no Gen III rep, and no bird Pokémon, so...

Can we? Of course not, but can we?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I still feel a certain way about no Gen III rep, and no bird Pokémon, so...

Can we? Of course not, but can we?
Get that shiny Pidgeotto outta here.

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Action.

The biggest problem with modern bland villains is having them sit idly by while the story focuses entirely on the heroes. No one is frightened or in awe of a scary-looking dude standing around offscreen. Give him moments to be villainous. Give him his own plot and motivations and supporting cast so that, even if we don't like him, we learn about him and invest in him.

It also helps if you give him a signature moment that puts us in awe or in fear of him. One of my favorite parts of Dragonball Super was when we first see Goku Black facing off with Trunks in the future. Trunks turns super saiyan and drives forward with a punch to the gut to send Black flying backward-- and throughout the attack, with Trunk's fist still in his gut, Black is cackling like it's a joke. It's monstrous and ominous and disturbing and I love it.
Well to take it back to the dragonball point, a lack of action can also make for an intimidating villain. Frieza was so good because we saw him command an army who was WAY stronger than the heroes. They obeyed his every whim without question and he barely moved, and it really lended to a truly terrifying presence.

But his character design and voice (at least in kai/jpn) also had a lot to do with his intimidation factor as well

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Avoid cliche lines such as "you and I aren't so different." Not saying the hero/villain can't have similarities but I legit cringe whenever that line is used in media. It's basically the equivalent of them saying "I'M JUST A GIANT METAPHOR!"

Also don't make them mindless killing machines who kill their own allies for the dumbest reasons.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Kids being kind? that's quite an expecation right there.
It is.

My nephew owns a Switch and ONLY plays Fortnite on it. Considering he has a brother and other family members who are interested in gaming, you'd think they'd have my old gaming arrangements as a kid and have to share it, but these are pretty naive parents they have. Turns out he didn't develop the healthy habits they thought, who'd have thunk it? :yoshi:
There are so many kids who only play Fortnite. I swear, their expectations for games are gonna be really low, haha.

Also, Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom thanks for the subscription!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They probably are since my sister lives about 2 hours away. We talk about one a week or once every 2 weeks but the conversation is so guarded and stale. Thankfully for daughter diffuses some of the tension so it’s manageable.

They were always pretty cool people but probably within the past four years, they have become very cold and...old lol.
Have you been vulnerable with them? You admit they're pretty cool. Perhaps its time to let mom and dad know about some personal feelings.
So there's not really any topic I want to talk about with him.
What about your work? Honestly it feels like you resent your father a bit. Like his work and politics kind of block any interaction with him. I understand, his stance isn't pleasant, but you gotta have more of a connection then sports... Not even stupid things you did as a kid?

but he changed and it's not my job to change him back.
I'd argue that's what family does.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I feel like the only person who has never played Fortnite.

Maybe if I didn’t completely stink at Battle Royale games....

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I played Fortnite.

I wasted time and the storm killed me.

I think I'll play the Minecraft Battle Royale/Hunger Games-type games that existed before Fortnite if I wanna play that.

...nah, I don't have anything against Fortnite, even the new Creative Mode stuff kinda interests me, but I'm just meh about it in general.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
There was a dr.phil episode where a fortnite kid was abusing his mom.
cinnamontoastken made a video about it :O
Wow. Sounds tough.

Fortnite is one of the most well designed multiplayer shooters. Don't know why it needs to get all this hate.
I think Fortnite is ok, at best. It wasn't really that entertaining for me. I did try it, but it kinda just felt "meh" and I got bored pretty quickly. Also, I don't hate Fortnite, I was just saying their expectations would be low if the only game they play is a free to play with loads of in app purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom