• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well to take it back to the dragonball point, a lack of action can also make for an intimidating villain. Frieza was so good because we saw him command an army who was WAY stronger than the heroes. They obeyed his every whim without question and he barely moved, and it really lended to a truly terrifying presence.

But his character design and voice (at least in kai/jpn) also had a lot to do with his intimidation factor as well
Excellent point. Same can be said for Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin, one of my all-time favorite villains. He's so strong that the characters we see around him are petrified of him. He casually walks around his own home with a murderer who wants him dead sharing the place because he knows he's no real threat to him. He not once but twice comes within twenty yards of Kenshin, whom we've come to believe is the strongest swordsman there is, and just walks away because he has better things to do and Kenshin isn't worth his time.

The other thing Frieza and Shishio share is personality. They just ooze it. My biggest gripe with almost every villain in every Marvel or DC movie is that they're just... stale. Wesker makes a fantastic villain in Resident Evil because of that personality, not because RE is particularly well-written. Everybody remembers Wesker. No one remembers ****ing William Birkin.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
From what I hear of my nephew from my sister and brother-in-law, it doesn't give me a good impression...
Well it includes a mechanic I've always thought multiplayer shooters needed, and that's building. It's a really interesting way to have gun fights, as you get to build your own cover. It also gives you a way to approach snipers and adds a layer of skill to a pretty accessible game.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
How do you want them to be intimidating? "Intimidating" is quite a broad criteria, and it's difficult to help you with just that information. What's your current idea of them? Do they have a backstory? What do they do?

I'd recommend you read up on villain tropes and find what you like. Here are some references:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Villains
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/WriteAVillain
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilTropes
I have this idea of having him attacking the main character during most of the story, while sitting on his throne. All the enemies the hero faces are actually puppets he's controlling all the way from his castle, and sometimes he'll even cast some spells to directly attack the hero from there, like summoning meteors, freezing an entire location, reviving creatures from the dead, etc. All while just sitting there, so he'd fight the hero personally once they get to his castle.
Appearance wise, I wanted to make him a creepy demon like being, similar to Ryuk (the character on my pfp), but with a more royal theme for his design. He'd also abnormally tall, with long limbs and a slasher smile.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Well it includes a mechanic I've always thought multiplayer shooters needed, and that's building. It's a really interesting way to have gun fights, as you get to build your own cover. It also gives you a way to approach snipers and adds a layer of skill to a pretty accessible game.
I must admit, I do appreciate the building mechanic.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The villain in my story is a hero-turned villain who essentially is the main hero for the first half of the game and then the main villain in the second half.

He's almost like a Link-kind of figure (chosen hero out to take out the big bad and becomes the savior of humanity) but a terrible series of events completely shatters his faith in the world. This leads to him forming a cult in order to topple all the kingdoms of the world and making himself worshipped as a God in the process.

So yeah, imagine if Link went bat**** insane through some sort of tragedy and swore revenge against Hyrule and formed his own cult. That's sort of my villain lol.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Excellent point. Same can be said for Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin, one of my all-time favorite villains. He's so strong that the characters we see around him are petrified of him. He casually walks around his own home with a murderer who wants him dead sharing the place because he knows he's no real threat to him. He not once but twice comes within twenty yards of Kenshin, whom we've come to believe is the strongest swordsman there is, and just walks away because he has better things to do and Kenshin isn't worth his time.

The other thing Frieza and Shishio share is personality. They just ooze it. My biggest gripe with almost every villain in every Marvel or DC movie is that they're just... stale. Wesker makes a fantastic villain in Resident Evil because of that personality, not because RE is particularly well-written. Everybody remembers Wesker. No one remembers ****ing William Birkin.
That's actually one of my gripes with RE.

The problem with a lotta RE villains is that they're super great until the last 5% of the game where they turn into giant meat blobs with glowing weak spots. Seriously, it kinda makes them lame as all hell.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Have you been vulnerable with them? You admit they're pretty cool. Perhaps its time to let mom and dad know about some personal feelings.
They used to be pretty cool but they defeinitely changed for the worse. Me letting them know my feelings and concerns is what sparked the entire thing sadly. Things went south very quickly and there was a period during the early summer that we weren’t talking to them. Then throw the fact they don’t approve of our parenting styles.

I don’t want to go into too much since it’s fairly personal.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
We need more games with the protagonist as the villain.

Like uh... Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles My Life as a Darklord? Does this count?

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
The villain in my story is a hero-turned villain who essentially is the main hero for the first half of the game and then the main villain in the second half.

He's almost like a Link-kind of figure (chosen hero out to take out the big bad and becomes the savior of humanity) but a terrible series of events completely shatters his faith in the world. This leads to him forming a cult in order to topple all the kingdoms of the world and making himself worshipped as a God in the process.

So yeah, imagine if Link went bat**** insane through some sort of tragedy and swore revenge against Hyrule and formed his own cult. That's sort of my villain lol.
So he's Oersted/Odio from Live a Live?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They used to be pretty cool but they defeinitely changed for the worse. Me letting them know my feelings and concerns is what sparked the entire thing sadly. Things went south very quickly and there was a period during the early summer that we weren’t talking to them. Then throw the fact they don’t approve of our parenting styles.

I don’t want to go into too much since it’s fairly personal.
Wanna do a PM?

Iridium

Smash Hero
I have this idea of having him attacking the main character during most of the story, while sitting on his throne. All the enemies the hero faces are actually puppets he's controlling all the way from his castle, and sometimes he'll even cast some spells to directly attack the hero from there, like summoning meteors, freezing an entire location, reviving creatures from the dead, etc. All while just sitting there, so he'd fight the hero personally once they get to his castle.
Appearance wise, I wanted to make him a creepy demon like being, similar to Ryuk (the character on my pfp), but with a more royal theme for his design. He'd also abnormally tall, with long limbs and a slasher smile.
Here's another suggestion. Take some inspiration.

Inspiration.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That's actually one of my gripes with RE.

The problem with a lotta RE villains is that they're super great until the last 5% of the game where they turn into giant meat blobs with glowing weak spots. Seriously, it kinda makes them lame as all hell.
That's my gripe with videogames. Games commonly need a big final boss so they force one in even when it's not needed in the story.

My biggest gripe about final-boss-ism is in Dragon Age II, where the whole game has been centered around this political conflict and the narrative being pushed shows that there's no true villain to fight; there's just hard choices because people are people and they can't be changed. But in order to give the videogame a final boss, at the very end they make the First Enchanter who stood for mages not being blood mages turn into a ****ing goddamn bloodmage and become a giant monster, then Knight Commander Meredith-- who was seen to be a harsh and too-controlling leader with good intentions-- was actually holding an evil magic rock the whole time that made her do those things and now she's got giant magical iron statue things and magic powers. Because final boss.

I ****ing love that game but I headcanon those two boss fights to end the game out of the picture.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So he's Oersted/Odio from Live a Live?
Funny because KMDP KMDP also made the comparison to Oersted and I didn't even know what that game was until he told me about it lol.

The two characters are similar but the circumstances of how they snap and lose their minds are different. For my character, he's someone that grows up in poverty and becomes a knight (and later a chosen hero). His heroics leads him to being regarded as humanity's savior but that plays a part of his delusion when he becomes a villain, believing himself to be the only one to save people from themselves and looks to manipulate/destroy the lives of others to achieve his goals believing himself to be right in what he does.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
we're gonna get Pikmin Trilogy alongside Pikmin 4 and it's gonna be awesome.

I know this sadly won't happen.
PLEASE THIS.

I loved Pikmin 3, I'd love to play through it a fourth time.

Such a fun game.

I want to try 1 and 2 as well.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
What about your work? Honestly it feels like you resent your father a bit. Like his work and politics kind of block any interaction with him. I understand, his stance isn't pleasant, but you gotta have more of a connection then sports... Not even stupid things you did as a kid?

I'd argue that's what family does.
If I haven't made it quite clear enough, yeah, I do resent the man my father's become. And I currently house my little brother because he needed out of that environment but couldn't handle living on his own. While my dad builds a mansion in St. Louis I'm paying 70% of our expenses to give my brother a place to live and not feel backed into a corner by that very same father. That is what family does.

I'll still pick up the phone when he calls and when he gets feeble and sick I'll make time to try and take care of him. But past that? I owe him nothing. I've spent the last ten years trying to get him to change. I'm done.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
That's my gripe with videogames. Games commonly need a big final boss so they force one in even when it's not needed in the story.

My biggest gripe about final-boss-ism is in Dragon Age II, where the whole game has been centered around this political conflict and the narrative being pushed shows that there's no true villain to fight; there's just hard choices because people are people and they can't be changed. But in order to give the videogame a final boss, at the very end they make the First Enchanter who stood for mages not being blood mages turn into a ****ing goddamn bloodmage and become a giant monster, then Knight Commander Meredith-- who was seen to be a harsh and too-controlling leader with good intentions-- was actually holding an evil magic rock the whole time that made her do those things and now she's got giant magical iron statue things and magic powers. Because final boss.

I ****ing love that game but I headcanon those two boss fights to end the game out of the picture.
Idk if this is even a "boss" traditionally but my favorite boss of all time is probably the black dahlia killer in LA Noire. The way they set up the dude was brilliant, and chasing him down tight dark corridors while he shouts out Cole's insecurities was a pretty great set piece.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Idk if this is even a "boss" traditionally but my favorite boss of all time is probably the black dahlia killer in LA Noire. The way they set up the dude was brilliant, and chasing him down tight dark corridors while he shouts out Cole's insecurities was a pretty great set piece.
I never actually finished LA Noire. That sounds kick***.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom