• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Prove it. Show me a time where he has not taken critisism. Show me an example of why his content id bad. Because as someone who has watched everything this man has made I never understand where people are coming from when they make this argument.

He has addressed where he went wrong in the Persona video. It's in a pinned comment. Read it.
We literally just named numerous occasions. How about the WD Gaster video where he whines about how much "hate" he got for his Sans is Ness video. That certainly doesn't look like someone taking criticism to me.

It looks like someone whining about how some people didn't like his video

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Prove it. Show me a time where he has not taken critisism.
For starters, there is the time he labelled a game incorrectly, didn't link the creators, then just blamed it on his editors. Heck, the only time I've heard him mention his editors is when he needs a meat shield. (And when one died, but I'd prefer not to get onto touchy subjects.)

osby

Smash Obsessed
He has addressed where he went wrong in the Persona video. It's in a pinned comment. Read it.
I've read it. Doesn't change that he rushed a video about a series he clearly isn't interested just to stay relevant in YouTube algorithms. It's just sad.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I dislike a lot of Matpat's content but I think it's clear a lot of you have huge grudges against him.

Let it go, guys.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Not to mention, his overly dramatic tone of voice is annoying, his theories are often outright lazy and misinformed, the NUMEROUS instances of unfunny jokes that add nothing to the narrative of the video, the titles and thumbnails are really cringey clickbait, etc.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
We literally just named numerous occasions. How about the WD Gaster video where he whines about how much "hate" he got for his Sans is Ness video. That certainly doesn't look like someone taking criticism to me.

It looks like someone whining about how some people didn't like his video
You named videos of him you don't like. How is that an example of him not taking criticism. And again, he's not wining. He's disapointed. I'd be upset to if I put in all this work only for people to just mindlessly hate me for very flimsy reasons.

D

Deleted member

The Metroid theories were bad.
The games already denied them: the morphball can be used for stuff that isn’t getting through stretchy places (like walking through walls with the Spider Ball or healing Samus in Super Metroid thanks to a certain combo of power

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I dislike a lot of Matpat's content but I think it's clear a lot of you have huge grudges against him.

Let it go, guys.
Sorry Swamp, but when I have to try so goddamn hard in life just to achieve anything and this dude manages to get aggressively loyal fans and a **** ton of money just be saying stupid **** without needing to fact check or anything, I'm going to feel a tad bitter about him and every other low effort clickbait youtuber

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
You named videos of him you don't like. How is that an example of him not taking criticism. And again, he's not wining. He's disapointed. I'd be upset to if I put in all this work only for people to just mindlessly hate me for very flimsy reasons.
People had good reasons to dislike that video. There were many legitimate criticisms for it. He ignored them in order to paint himself as a victim for making mediocre content.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Any lines I could do?
Aww, that's precious! He thinks he can stop me. (Condescending)

Here's what's gonna happen. I'm gonna do whatever I want, and you're gonna be useless. As usual. (Telling a cop what to do)

What? Demons don't exist! I'm just an adorable lil' kid! (Playing innocent)

D

Deleted member

I don't see much value in MatPat's Game Theory content. It is a bunch of hypothesies presented as fulfilled theories, Sans is Ness and Rosaline is Peach and Luigi's kid probably being my least favorite works of his out there.
There's also the part where he says the later FnaF games are "incorrect" and that the stories "couldn't happen" because they are unrealistic. Which aligned itself with him presenting it as a "take that!" to FnaF's creator as a whole. I dunno, it just kinda screamed ego-stroking on a high scale, and I grew tired of following him past that.

I don't know about his non-Game Theory content, and I don't know the issue with him giving the pope a copy of Undertale, as silly as it was. So I won't really comment on the quality of what that has to offer.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
You completely just ignored the point I brought up...

Not to mention, his overly dramatic tone of voice is annoying, his theories are often outright lazy and misinformed, the NUMEROUS instances of unfunny jokes that add nothing to the narrative of the video, the titles and thumbnails are really cringey clickbait, etc.
His tone didn't really bug me, and I think this theories are ok. The titles look like they were made in 2003, though, and the jokes aren't too good...

Here's what's gonna happen. I'm gonna do whatever I want, and you're gonna be useless. As usual. (Telling a cop what to do)

I'll do those in a bit! How should I send the files?

D

Deleted member

"THIS VIDEO GOT SO MANY HATERS ON IT IT'S SO SAD" *even back then less than 10 percent of the likes was about how many dislikes it got*
"I'M JUST TRYING TO SPARK DISCUSSION!" *starts whining about how people are haters for pointing out how he literally took something from books and pretended he came up with it multiple times"
This post reminds me of that terrible livestream he did where he watched videos criticising his work and just screamed "OH NO ITS THE HATERS, THEY'RE HATING ON US, OH NO!"

And we all know that's how you deal with criticism.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What work and what reason to be upset? He doesn't write the scripts nor does he do the editting, all he does is talk and record that. The video was still doing very well in terms of viewership which in turn gives him a ****ton of money. Matpat is literally at the point he can take stuff from franchises and claim he made it up and it gets a high ass viewcount with millions of likes because his audience doesn't care

osby

Smash Obsessed

He sounds like such a little ****, I loved him.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
For starters, there is the time he labelled a game incorrectly, didn't link the creators, then just blamed it on his editors. Heck, the only time I've heard him mention his editors is when he needs a meat shield. (And when one died, but I'd prefer not to get onto touchy subjects.)
Those were his live streams. Not the theories. He spends so much of his own time writing scripts that of course he's gonna have a crew member manage something like titles and tagging. And he actually APOLOGIZED AND CHANGED HIS POLICIES AFTER THAT SO IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.

I've read it. Doesn't change that he rushed a video about a series he clearly isn't interested just to stay relevant in YouTube algorithms. It's just sad.
He makes his living off of the YouTube algorithm. He has a wife, an infant, and many crewmembers to support. He has to make sure each video makes as much money as possible. So of course he's not gonna be able to devote as much time as possible to absorb an entire franchise he's not familiar with. Yes, I agree it was a bad choice to cover Persona for these reasons, but don't give him flack for doing what he has to do to stay alive.

Let it go, guys.
Preach!

I don't even know how to respond to this. He spends as much time reaserching as he can, so much so that calling him lazy is frankly insulting.

D

Deleted member

I’ll just share this video regarding one of his two Metroid theories:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I don’t know what’s going on with MatPat, nor do I care. What is interesting is this:

I’m personally fine if it’s a different project she’s working on, but if you go to the tweet and look at the comments, you’ll be able to see that the more (let’s say) speculative fans are having none of it.

Honestly, this whole thing is hurting my brain.

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Meh. I just watch his Game Theory for some easy entertainment when I'm bored. They don't make you think, and sometimes that's nice. That said, MatPat's video practices often do feel like he's trying for easy views, and sometimes he feels very disingenuous, but whatever. I just wish something as trivial as scattershot hypotheses about video games wouldn't cause so much controversy, but that's the internet for you.

To clarify this post, I'm not defending him, I just don't particularly mind his content when I need some brain-dead viewing.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
He spends as much time reaserching as he can, so much so that calling him lazy is frankly insulting.
pretty sure he doesn't even do all his research, and he's been accused multiple times of taking other theories. Not to mention, a lot of videos still have a lot of errors, despite the fact that he has a team and incredibly high production value

Last edited:

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
Honestly I didn't ever see the drama that went on about his Undertale video, but I imagine that there was a lot of tea spillage. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

D

Deleted member

People on the internet angry at MatPat and seeing who can talk the nastiest about him?

What original discussion. :4pacman:

osby

Smash Obsessed
He makes his living off of the YouTube algorithm. He has a wife, an infant, and many crewmembers to support. He has to make sure each video makes as much money as possible. So of course he's not gonna be able to devote as much time as possible to absorb an entire franchise he's not familiar with. Yes, I agree it was a bad choice to cover Persona for these reasons, but don't give him flack for doing what he has to do to stay alive.
You can gain a living and create quality content at the same time.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Oh dear god no.

The MatPat discussion.

He turned from cool content creator to money grabber really fast.

Austin is cool tho.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You completely just ignored the point I brought up...

His tone didn't really bug me, and I think this theories are ok. The titles look like they were made in 2003, though, and the jokes aren't too good...

I'll do those in a bit! How should I send the files?
Ok. So you're talking about the Persona and Ace Atourney videos. What do you want him to do to "take criticism better". Take the video down? Make a rushed response video? He hasn;t covered either franchise sense, if that's what you want.

This post reminds me of that terrible livestream he did where he watched videos criticising his work and just screamed "OH NO ITS THE HATERS, THEY'RE HATING ON US, OH NO!"

And we all know that's how you deal with criticism.
He wasn't screaming. He was justifiibly upset at people making unsubstantiated acusations. He asked the same questions I'm asking now and I still havn't gotten an actual answer.

What work and what reason to be upset? He doesn't write the scripts nor does he do the editting, all he does is talk and record that. The video was still doing very well in terms of viewership which in turn gives him a ****ton of money. Matpat is literally at the point he can take stuff from franchises and claim he made it up and it gets a high *** viewcount with millions of likes because his audience doesn't care
Actually you're just plain wrong. He does write the scripts. He's never once said that he has any sort of scriptwriter.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Those were his live streams. Not the theories. He spends so much of his own time writing scripts that of course he's gonna have a crew member manage something like titles and tagging. And he actually APOLOGIZED AND CHANGED HIS POLICIES AFTER THAT SO IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.
I don't even know how to respond to this. He spends as much time reaserching as he can, so much so that calling him lazy is frankly insulting.
Yeah, he did, but it still doesn't change the fact that he did it. And he only apologized when Toby got involved. He has apologized and not changed hit
Ok. So you're talking about the Persona and Ace Atourney videos. What do you want him to do to "take criticism better". Take the video down? Make a rushed response video? He hasn;t covered either franchise sense, if that's what you want.

He wasn't screaming. He was justifiibly upset at people making unsubstantiated acusations. He asked the same questions I'm asking now and I still havn't gotten an actual answer.

Actually you're just plain wrong. He does write the scripts. He's never once said that he has any sort of scriptwriter.
Maybe he didn't mention he has a scriptwriter because he just didn't want to...? Other people who have helped don't get credit either, sometimes. One person made some art that was used in Mats video without credit, and also, that Matpat hater video wasn't really good. Heck, one of the guys said he liked Mat's content. And we know he wasn't screaming, it was an exaggeration.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why don't you **** on guys who are actual assholes like DarkSidePhill? I'd join then.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Holy **** did Matpat piss in you guys' cereal or what? This is hilarious.
Haha, well, I just share my opinion on what's currently discussed here and there. So just keeping conversation.
I've been doing pretty well for myself not worrying about what Matpat does on a daily basis.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You can gain a living and create quality content at the same time.
Okay. Put you're money where you're mouth is. Tell me, how would you "improve" his content while still allowing him to make enough money to support his family and staff.

Oh dear god no.

The MatPat discussion.

He turned from cool content creator to money grabber really fast.

Austin is cool tho.
What are you talking about? He just did a huge livestream where he raised thousands (i think it was thousands, I don't quite remmber) of dollars for charity. He dosn't have a patreon or any other way to trick people into actually spending money on his content. And if you're gonna give him flack for having sponsored content, he's been sponsored by the same people who sponsor every youtuber (Honey, Crunchy Roll, Dolllar Shave Club). Everybody does that so how is he any worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom