• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't know how relevant it may actually be for this DLC, but remember that Sakurai was skeptical of adding Corrin, until his team helped him see the unique moveset they could offer. It would follow, then, that Edelgard would need to be comparably unique to Corrin to be considered for addition.

INB4 she has some gimmick making her really unique.
People are trying to do some gratuitous fear-mongering here, please don't disturb them with your logic.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
SMH Frisk over Sans, this man doesn't know his memes! /s
I do know those memes.
It is because I know those memes that I take specific steps to avoid triggering those memes.

If one of you makes a Ness joke, I swear to God.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't know how relevant it may actually be for this DLC, but remember that Sakurai was skeptical of adding Corrin, until his team helped him see the unique moveset they could offer. It would follow, then, that Edelgard would need to be comparably unique to Corrin to be considered for addition.

For starters she's an axe user for one rather then another typical sword user.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Guys...

Why is it every day this thread somehow ends up on the "Eww Edelgard in Smash" debate.

Because this is starting to get really ****ing annoying.
I mean, it's this, Microsoft character talk, or owo conversations. Take your pick. :4pacman:

I find it really annoying too, tbh.

Shroob

Sup?
Plot twist: She's voicing the Femal version of Erdrick and a reveal is right around the corner.

No joke I can actually see this being true.
Plausible, but at the same time, Female Erdrick already has a voice, unless they just straight up change the voice actress.

That, and if they're going with smoldrick, there may not even be a female one.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Rather still an axe user then yet again another sword user...:glare:
And? What a character holds at their hand doesn't tell anything about their playstyle aside from "permanent disjoint".

If Edelgard uses an axe and that's it, I'd find her more boring than Shulk or Robin tbh.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
And? What a character holds at their hand doesn't tell anything about their playstyle aside from "permanent disjoint".

If Edelgard uses an axe and that's it, I'd find her more boring than Shulk or Robin tbh.
:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::ultswordfighter::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:

Don't we have enough sword users though?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Plausible, but at the same time, Female Erdrick already has a voice, unless they just straight up change the voice actress.

That, and if they're going with smoldrick, there may not even be a female one.
Erdrick has an ENGLISH voice actor/actress. When? Where?

D

Deleted member

Guys, assuming she actually is voicing someone for Smash...who's to say she isn't voicing for a character she's never voiced for before?
Such as....

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
While y'all are running with your heads cut off about some Tweets on Twitter, just a reminder that Smash Ultimate will never compare to how apparently we will have F-ZERO AND MOTHER ATTRACTIONS AT SUPER NINTENDO WORLD.

DECADES OF WAITING.
WORTH THE WAIT.
BIG STORY, BIG END.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
I kinda of get a F-Zero attraction because it really fits a theme park, but what are they going to do with Mother/Earthbound in a theme park?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I do know those memes.
It is because I know those memes that I take specific steps to avoid triggering those memes.

If one of you makes a Ness joke, I swear to God.
Ness joke

Guys...

Why is it every day this thread somehow ends up on the "Eww Edelgard in Smash" debate.

Because this is starting to get really ****ing annoying.
Agreed, it's really weird when people complain about something we don't even know.

It's like pre-Joker "all DLC is promotional" all over again.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Honestly, I'd be pretty shocked if Shantae makes the cut over Shovel Knight, especially considering Nintendo made the selection and knows how popular he is currently.

Even if you take him out of the equation for already being an assist, Quote, Reimu, Cuphead, Frisk, Madeline, Dead Cells guy, and several more I can't remember off the top of my head seem like they would "catch Nintendo's eye" sooner as it were.
I personally think that she's more likely thanks to her longevity more than anything else. She's technically the oldest indie franchise that I know of at this point, since her debut game launched in 2002. Sure, it was published by Capcom at the time, but even then, Wayforward kept the license to themselves and went on to release Risky's Revenge 8 years later. That's what I'm sticking with, at least.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Guys, assuming she actually is voicing someone for Smash...who's to say she isn't voicing for a character she's never voiced for before?
Such as....
Way ahead of you bud.
Plot twist: She's voicing the Female version of Erdrick and a reveal is right around the corner.

No joke I can actually see this being true.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Erdrick has an ENGLISH voice actor/actress. When? Where?
They don't..kind of. Hikaru Midorikawa voiced male Erdrick for a Drama CD..and that's it. They may be thinking of a different Dragon Quest hero.
Fun Fact, that's also Marth's Japanese Voice Actor in the Fire Emblem anime, Smash Bros, and the games.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

The issue with Corrin and Roy was never that they weren't "unique" enough. It was that there are several other characters that could also be unique, but were passed over in favor of a non-character.

No one (at least no one sensible) has any doubt that any Fire Emblem and/or "sword wielder" could be unique. And if they do, I can point them over to Soul Calibur where 90% of the cast uses a bladed weapon in unique ways. At the same time, Smash is more than function fighter and people have likes and dislikes for actual character, which is why MvCI and Soul Calibur 5 got panned for gutting their rosters for functionally similar characters.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Honestly, I'd be pretty shocked if Shantae makes the cut over Shovel Knight, especially considering Nintendo made the selection and knows how popular he is currently.

Even if you take him out of the equation for already being an assist, Quote, Reimu, Cuphead, Frisk, Madeline, Dead Cells guy, and several more I can't remember off the top of my head seem like they would "catch Nintendo's eye" sooner as it were.
I mean she kinda already caught Nintendo’s eye already seeing as she’s the only other indie in the game as a spirit. Also Quote and Reimu I could see but I highly doubt THAT many characters would be in her way.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
For starters she's an axe user for one rather then another typical sword user.
You're right about that, but I believe that won't be enough to catch Sakurai's eye. He's already wary of the quantity of FE characters present. If Corrin had to use shapeshifting to be unique, then I doubt just swinging around a different weapon will be enough justification for a new moveset. The animations wouldn't be terribly different, so what's really there?

Noipoi

Howdy!
While y'all are running with your heads cut off about some Tweets on Twitter, just a reminder that Smash Ultimate will never compare to how apparently we will have F-ZERO AND MOTHER ATTRACTIONS AT SUPER NINTENDO WORLD.

DECADES OF WAITING.
WORTH THE WAIT.
BIG STORY, BIG END.

Nice.

Where's Pokemon?

osby

Smash Obsessed
:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::ultswordfighter::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:

Don't we have enough sword users though?
By saying enough, you're implying certain weapons have quotas that you have to fill.

Let me make this clear: I think it'd be very hard to make a sword user character from Fire Emblem play unique after this point, but I also don't see how axes will suddenly make them the best thing since sliced bread.

D

Deleted member

I kinda of get a F-Zero attraction because it really fits a theme park, but what are they going to do with Mother/Earthbound in a theme park?
The absolute ****ing fiercest battle between Fourside and New Pork City has never been more hotter.

But my money, has already been burnt. Time to go to Japan for real, y'all.

wastin money.png

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Guys. She's voicing Erdrick. I can already see from that string of tweets that yeah it's probably a new character and who's a new character we almost certainly know is coming to Smash and soonish? Erdrick.

D

Deleted member

DECADES OF WAITING.
WORTH THE WAIT.
BIG STORY, BIG END.

inb4 the Mother ride is Japan-exclusive

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Such as....
That... sounds actually plausible.

I'm actually not sure, does any Dragon Quest protagonist have defined voice actors?
(Besides like, Dai from that manga/anime I guess)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Guys. She's voicing Erdrick. I can already see from that string of tweets that yeah it's probably a new character and who's a new character we almost certainly know is coming to Smash and soonish? Erdrick.
I don't think it's Smash at all, lol.

I'm think something more like Overwatch.

Shroob

Sup?
Gonna have to stop ya right there, pardner.

That's a flimsier connection than the ****ty internet that Comcast gives.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Gonna have to stop ya right there, pardner.

That's a flimsier connection than the ****ty internet that Comcast gives.
I mean, if it turns out it is her voicing then in Smash you owe me a ****ing donut cause I said it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom