• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'd be fine with it, but no way in hell they'd break a NDA like that.
Didn't Adam Howden pull similar shenanigans before Shulk's reveal?

He came pretty close to breaking NDA, but stayed just far enough from it to not get in trouble.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, another FE promotion character would feel really tone-deaf on Nintendo's part.

Which means it's happening. Maybe this one will actually be a good character in the game they originate from? :4pacman:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What if instead of just Edelguard it’s a Pokémon Trainer style character that switches between all three. I mean, it is THREE Houses. Would make the character more interesting imo.
Well ****, then it's THREE Fire Emblem characters (or perhaps one Fire Emblem character with triple if not more amount of work put into them) from a game that's not out yet.

Speaking of popular ingame trios:
FE7 trio lyn hector eliwood.png

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
At least in Pokemon's case it's a game that's already out and there's some guarantee that people will like the choice.

With Fire Emblem, both their promo characters weren't even released yet (except for Corrin only in JP), and ones that people didn't like once those games did come out. Apparently all of Roy's popularity is exclusively because he was in Melee, and not because of the merits of his actual character or home game.
Like :ultfalcon::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultness::ultlucas::ultpichu::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultpiranha:?

Smash exclusive popularity is hardly unique to Roy.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Good games PsySmasher PsySmasher I had a lot of fun. BTW was there anything you noticed that I should improve on?
GGs to you too buddy.

Overall, I think your skills with your mains are pretty good. However there are 2 things I want you to consider:

1. Know what other moves besides your Smash attacks kill and when. The majority of times I remember you killing me, it was from a Smash attack. In the cases of when I was playing :ultridley::ultrosalina::ultpalutena:, I was killed at very high percentages more times than not. That's partially because I knew you'd go for a Smash attack kill and all I'd have to do is wait and punish accordingly .
For example, there were a couple of instances you could've gone for :ultwolf: B- Throw, since it can kill at higher %. However, you opted for a F-Throw, which didn't make too much sense in that scenario.
And the reverse also applies for your opponents. I ended up killing you in one instance w/ :ultridley: D-Throw b/c I knew it would be much safer for me to go for a grab than dealing with the lag that comes w/ Smash attacks.

2. Try to get a read on your opponents. I was able to kill/almost kill you extremely early in certain matches (think :ultridley::ultrosalina:). If you can figure out what your opponent is up to, it makes landing bigger hits much easier. For example, :ultwolf: D-Smash kills early if you time it correctly. I've had it kill around 45% at ledge when either someone hangs on for too long or if I read their recovery and 2-frame them. It's never a bad idea to go for a big read if the risk-reward factor is worth it to you.
Also if your up against someone who has special attributes (:ultpalutena: having a counter and a windbox on her F-Smash & D-Smash, :ultrosalina: has Luma), just keep those in mind.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think we should forget trios and dumb it down to duos. I'm talking Bub and Bob :EvilBub:; Lolo and Lala; PB&J; Ham and Cheese; etc. The best things are done in twos.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

He came pretty close to breaking NDA, but stayed just far enough from it to not get in trouble.

Educate me on this, please.
No, seriously, give me the full skivvy, I was stuck in 8th grade and freshman year during the first hype cycle, back when I was offline more often.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Absolutely.
However, Adam Howden also didn't say

"Boy, I hope I have a SUPER time at this SMASHing event with my BROS."

That'd be Reyn levels of bonkers stupid.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't be Surprised if we did get another FE rep I mean it IS Nintendo choosing the DLC and they're not nearly as good as Sakurai at choosing the roster, so they wouldn't heavily consider adding favorites unless Sakurai or someone push them Really hard. They are the ones who added Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina to MK8 instead of Diddy or Birdo so take that as you will.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Like :ultfalcon::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultness::ultlucas::ultpichu::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultpiranha:?

Smash exclusive popularity is hardly unique to Roy.
Oh yeah, not saying it isn't, but in the case of Roy/Corrin, it's weirder because they were from games that weren't even out yet. And then the game does come out, and it's not that popular, and it probably would've been more satisfying to have gone with a character from a game that already released and a character that has proven popularity.

It's like Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale adding Dante from DmC: Devil May Cry before that game came out, instead of classic Dante, and then that game came out and could best be described as... not entirely incompetent.

Shroob

Sup?
Let's get one thing straight:

If you bought the season pass when Sakurai told you to "Only buy if you feel confident", then you got no one to blame but yourself if one of our characters turns out to be "Another Fire Emblem character".

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
While I can’t say I’m not disappointed, a part of me always was prepared for this, even if I didn’t want to admit it. At least you know she’s gonna be fun to use, because all of the terrible picks are.

D

Deleted member

What if Brave is Edelgard and the word "brave" was chosen because it has something to do with Three Houses' plot, lol.

That would be incredible.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
On another note, I remember seeing another character mentioned via Tales of Berseria...

Wardrobe may be a tad problematic, but the demon hand is all I need to say yes.
Velvet is great but likewise I think the look wouldnt fly here. Not sure much could be done outside putting her in another outfit. Then again tribal Krystal was apparently ok so not sure. lol

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
What if Brave is Edelgard and the word "brave" was chosen because it has something to do with Three Houses' plot, lol.

That would be incredible.
Hmmm. That would explain things sense she’d be finding out to record her lines right about now. But from what I recall Brave’s stats didn’t match a character like Edelgard.

God. It really is going to be Joker, Erdrick, Steve, Edelgard, and Gen 8 Pokémon isn’t it. Man Nintendo. I expected better from you. Oh well. On to blindly hoping for a season 2.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wouldn't be Surprised if we did get another FE rep I mean it IS Nintendo choosing the DLC and they're not nearly as good as Sakurai at choosing the roster, so they wouldn't heavily consider adding favorites unless Sakurai or someone push them Really hard. They are the ones who added Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina to MK8 instead of Diddy or Birdo so take that as you will.
Why people act like Fire Emblem is the only Nintendo franchise?

Oh yeah, not saying it isn't, but in the case of Roy/Corrin, it's weirder because they were from games that weren't even out yet. And then the game does come out, and it's not that popular, and it probably would've been more satisfying to have gone with a character from a game that already released and a character that has proven popularity.

It's like Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale adding Dante from DmC: Devil May Cry before that game came out, instead of classic Dante, and then that game came out and could best be described as... not entirely incompetent.
Fates was already released when Corrin became playable, though. If you mean not released overseas, Lucas and Marth also has the same situation.

Also, Fates sold well and :ultcorrinf: is fairly popular, so I think people are kinda blow this out of proportion.

Hence, "but she's popular because of Smash"

D

Deleted member

While y'all are running with your heads cut off about some Tweets on Twitter, just a reminder that Smash Ultimate will never compare to how apparently we will have F-ZERO AND MOTHER ATTRACTIONS AT SUPER NINTENDO WORLD.

DECADES OF WAITING.
WORTH THE WAIT.
BIG STORY, BIG END.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

osby

Smash Obsessed
*people hyper speculate on Cristina Vee's tweet*
Me:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This is obviously a trick to make us think we are wrong, we all know how much of a troll and liar everyone works with Nintendo, Edelgard confirmed.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Why people act like Fire Emblem is the only Nintendo franchise?

Fates was already released when Corrin became playable, though. If you mean not released overseas, Lucas and Marth also has the same situation.

Also, Fates sold well and :ultcorrinf: is fairly popular, so I think people are kinda blow this out of proportion.

Hence, "but she's popular because of Smash"
Three Houses is coming out Q2. Certainly soon enough for Sakurai to have material to work with.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Here, feel free to yell at me some more about staying calm and to stop taking these so seriously.

HUH

That's pretty wild and a welcome surprise with whatever she's doing...

I don't know if it's necessarily Shantae as DLC but I guess we'll see.

D

Deleted member

GGs to you too buddy.

Overall, I think your skills with your mains are pretty good. However there are 2 things I want you to consider:

1. Know what other moves besides your Smash attacks kill and when. The majority of times I remember you killing me, it was from a Smash attack. In the cases of when I was playing :ultridley::ultrosalina::ultpalutena:, I was killed at very high percentages more times than not. That's partially because I knew you'd go for a Smash attack kill and all I'd have to do is wait and punish accordingly .
For example, there were a couple of instances you could've gone for :ultwolf: B- Throw, since it can kill at higher %. However, you opted for a F-Throw, which didn't make too much sense in that scenario.
And the reverse also applies for your opponents. I ended up killing you in one instance w/ :ultridley: D-Throw b/c I knew it would be much safer for me to go for a grab than dealing with the lag that comes w/ Smash attacks.

2. Try to get a read on your opponents. I was able to kill/almost kill you extremely early in certain matches (think :ultridley::ultrosalina:). If you can figure out what your opponent is up to, it makes landing bigger hits much easier. For example, :ultwolf: D-Smash kills early if you time it correctly. I've had it kill around 45% at ledge when either someone hangs on for too long or if I read their recovery and 2-frame them. It's never a bad idea to go for a big read if the risk-reward factor is worth it to you.
Also if your up against someone who has special attributes (:ultpalutena: having a counter and a windbox on her F-Smash & D-Smash, :ultrosalina: has Luma), just keep those in mind.
Thanks for the tips! I'll try and practice this stuff next time I play. Some of the Smash attacks were accidental when I was meaning to go for tilts instead so I'll definitely have to reduce those and I'm kind of terrible with reads so it'll take sometime for me to improve on them but with enough practice I'm sure I'll improve. Last thing, may I say you're super good at Smash it's pretty impressive.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

HUH

That's pretty wild and a welcome surprise with whatever she's doing...

I don't know if it's necessarily Shantae as DLC but I guess we'll see.
Honestly, I'd be pretty shocked if Shantae makes the cut over Shovel Knight, especially considering Nintendo made the selection and knows how popular he is currently.

Even if you take him out of the equation for already being an assist, Quote, Reimu, Cuphead, Frisk, Madeline, Dead Cells guy, and several more I can't remember off the top of my head seem like they would "catch Nintendo's eye" sooner as it were.

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I don't know how relevant it may actually be for this DLC, but remember that Sakurai was skeptical of adding Corrin, until his team helped him see the unique moveset they could offer. It would follow, then, that Edelgard would need to be comparably unique to Corrin to be considered for addition.

INB4 she has some gimmick making her really unique.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Plot twist: She's voicing the Femal version of Erdrick and a reveal is right around the corner.

No joke I can actually see this being true.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Since Byleth is the main character were instead getting another generic swordsmen instead of an axe user. Yay. :glare:
Dunno, last two we got were pretty far from being generic.

Unless you count Chrom and Lucina, which I don't think they'd make Byleth a clone.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm still far from convinced Edelgarde is happening. I should make a bet on it.

Uhhhh if Edelgarde gets in I'm making the second panel of this meme my avatar for the first month after her reveal trailer.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Guys...

Why is it every day this thread somehow ends up on the "Eww Edelgard in Smash" debate.

Because this is starting to get really ****ing annoying.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I'd be pretty shocked if Shantae makes the cut over Shovel Knight, especially considering Nintendo made the selection and knows how popular he is currently.

Even if you take him out of the equation for already being an assist, Quote, Reimu, Cuphead, Frisk, Madeline, Dead Cells guy, and several more I can't remember off the top of my head seem like they would "catch Nintendo's eye" sooner as it were.
SMH Frisk over Sans, this man doesn't know his memes! /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom