• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
The issue with Corrin and Roy was never that they weren't "unique" enough. It was that there are several other characters that could also be unique, but were passed over in favor of a non-character.

No one (at least no one sensible) has any doubt that any Fire Emblem and/or "sword wielder" could be unique. And if they do, I can point them over to Soul Calibur where 90% of the cast uses a bladed weapon in unique ways. At the same time, Smash is more than function fighter and people have likes and dislikes for actual character, which is why MvCI and Soul Calibur 5 got panned for gutting their rosters for functionally similar characters.
I meant that Sakurai said in an interview that he was concerned about the number of Fire Emblem characters in Smash 4. Thus, he says his team convinced him of how Corrin could be unique. It seems like the implication is that Corrin would not have been added otherwise.
Have you been forgetting Nintendo is choosing DLC?
But he still has to decide whether they can make a moveset, yes? Who's to say he can't pass over a character he feels adds nothing new?

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, if it turns out it is her voicing then in Smash you owe me a ****ing donut cause I said it first.
Sure, but your train of logic doesn't make any sense.

"We know Erdrick's coming, so she must be voicing them?"

You're missing a connecting piece of logic here, you're just jumping from point a to point b.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People tend to forget that, based on what we've seen, Edelgard seems to have access to magic in addition to swords and axes.

D

Deleted member

That... sounds actually plausible.

I'm actually not sure, does any Dragon Quest protagonist have defined voice actors?
(Besides like, Dai from that manga/anime I guess)
I don't know about all of the Heroes, but Erdrick (male) has only one voice I've found, in a Japanese CD Drama.
Voiced by the same actor that voices Marth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Gonna have to stop ya right there, pardner.

That's a flimsier connection than the ****ty internet that Comcast gives.
to be fair erdrick whole characters kinda just doesnt really have much to fill in
like the the whole height thing in datamine might mean another character or sakurai vision of erdrick and the characters doesnt really have a main VA nor a main design to go with yet.

all of that will be filled in by sakurai vision of the character. Simon Belmont was a similar situation.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Sure, but your train of logic doesn't make any sense.

"We know Erdrick's coming, so she must be voicing them?"

You're missing a connecting piece of logic here, you're just jumping from point a to point b.
Bruh, I wasn't being 100% serious. It's called a prediction.

Shroob

Sup?
to be fair erdrick whole characters kinda just doesnt really have much to fill in
like the the whole height thing in datamine might mean another or characters or sakurai vision of erdrick and the characters doesnt really have a main VA nor a main design to go with yet.

all of that will be filled in by sakurai vision of the character. Simon Belmont was a similar situation.
Not sure what you mean here.

Simon Belmont looks like Simon Belmont.

The height indicated by the datamine more or less confirms it's Kid/Shota/Smoldrick, whatever name you'll call him, so they'll be Toon Link sized, and not reject Trunks.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
There are three things guaranteed in life:

Death

Taxes

A Pokemon and Fire Emblem rep that promote the newest game.
Except Chrom.

And I guess Marth, technically.

The other 13 though, yes.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Honestly, I'd be pretty shocked if Shantae makes the cut over Shovel Knight, especially considering Nintendo made the selection and knows how popular he is currently.

Even if you take him out of the equation for already being an assist, Quote, Reimu, Cuphead, Frisk, Madeline, Dead Cells guy, and several more I can't remember off the top of my head seem like they would "catch Nintendo's eye" sooner as it were.
Depends. Almost all of those characters you named are only popular in the West for the most part while Frisk, Quote, and Reimu weren't included as Spirits (which admittedly could mean they are DLC..though I'd sooner see Sans getting in due to popularity, even if he's not the 'main' character, which I don't believe matters here).
Shovel Knight was, as far as I can tell, not received nearly as well in Japan as in the West. They considered it a good game, but it didn't reach the popularity it did here.
The issue with Corrin and Roy was never that they weren't "unique" enough. It was that there are several other characters that could also be unique, but were passed over in favor of a non-character.

No one (at least no one sensible) has any doubt that any Fire Emblem and/or "sword wielder" could be unique. And if they do, I can point them over to Soul Calibur where 90% of the cast uses a bladed weapon in unique ways. At the same time, Smash is more than function fighter and people have likes and dislikes for actual character, which is why MvCI and Soul Calibur 5 got panned for gutting their rosters for functionally similar characters.
Non-character?
Guys. She's voicing Erdrick. I can already see from that string of tweets that yeah it's probably a new character and who's a new character we almost certainly know is coming to Smash and soonish? Erdrick.
That means Female Erdrick as a costume option, so that's fine with me.

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of:

We know that Erdrick's going to be the classic, kid design.

Does that actually have any official artwork for the female one, or does the only artwork that exists of that being the gross adult Erdrick?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People tend to forget that, based on what we've seen, Edelgard seems to have access to magic in addition to swords and axes.
This has to be the biggest word out of this entire post right here. "Seems". At least with Corrin, Fates had already came out and we knew somewhat of her character without having the official translation to come out later.

With this, we still don't know to this very day what the hell these characters or anything about Three Houses.
It has been almost 8 months with nothing still, nor does Japan even know.

****ING YIKES BEYOND (solo).png

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
a fire emblem character is happening???

is it anna?
I hope so buddy. I really hope so. She would make me even more excited than Edelgard would.

But in reality, we're just speculating again. No FE character is confirmed to be coming and no new leaks have popped up.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try and practice this stuff next time I play. Some of the Smash attacks were accidental when I was meaning to go for tilts instead so I'll definitely have to reduce those and I'm kind of terrible with reads so it'll take sometime for me to improve on them but with enough practice I'm sure I'll improve. Last thing, may I say you're super good at Smash it's pretty impressive.
Thanks for the compliment buddy. I think you might be overstating my skills a little bit, but it's still nice to hear someone say that.

I've had the same problems in the past myself, but all it takes is practice.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

The height indicated by the datamine more or less confirms it's Kid/Shota/Smoldrick, whatever name you'll call him, so they'll be Toon Link sized, and not reject Trunks.
Before Simon was announced there were arguments over what design to use
Sakurai went with a redesigned version of the classic design, gave him some of Richter moves, and a VA

He filled in the things that werent there previously

Erdrick might be the same case
For all we know Cristina Vee might actually be a VA for Female Erdrick

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I think you mean reject Gohan or reject Android 17.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Y'all are kidding if you think our new FE rep is going to be Edelgarde. Obviously it's going to be Toon Marth.

This is also who "Brave" is, by the way.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Except Chrom.

And I guess Marth, technically.

The other 13 though, yes.
Thirteen?

...am I missing something? Did they just secretly add whole Heroes roster to Smash?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This has to be the biggest word out of this entire post right here. "Seems". At least with Corrin, Fates had already came out and we knew somewhat of her character without having the official translation to come out later.

With this, we still don't know to this very day what the hell these characters or anything about Three Houses.
It has been almost 8 months with nothing still, nor does Japan even know.

View attachment 190923
I meant "seems" as in "Edelgard literally has a Magic menu option, which is functionally identical to the way mages worked in Shadows of Valentia, and going by the fact that a group of enemy mages were casting tomeless fireballs, this basically confirms that Edelgard has access to magic, but whether or not that was an early beta build remains to be seen."

Shroob

Sup?
Gotta ask again:

Does Kid(Female) Erdrick have official artwork, or would Sakurai be making her from scratch?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Speaking of:

Does that actually have any official artwork for the female one, or does the only artwork that exists of that being the gross adult Erdrick?
No, there's only art of Adult Female Erdrick

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
>implying it's not Reinhardt for the memes
I mean, I'm just saying.

Both of the weapons he's associated with, Dire Thunder and the Meisterschwert, have the Brave effect.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Y'all are kidding if you think our new FE rep is going to be Edelgarde. Obviously it's going to be Toon Marth.

This is also who "Brave" is, by the way.
He’s got a shield, so same thing as Erdrick right?

I hope so buddy. I really hope so. She would make me even more excited than Edelgard would.
Which Anna would she be?

>implying it's not Reinhardt for the memes
Aaaaaaand I’m not getting sleep tonight, thanks.

D

Deleted member

I meant "seems" as in "Edelgard literally has a Magic menu option, which is functionally identical to the way mages worked in Shadows of Valentia, and going by the fact that a group of enemy mages were casting tomeless fireballs, this basically confirms that Edelgard has access to magic, but whether or not that was an early beta build remains to be seen."
Even then, the point still kinda stands. Pretty much every character involved with Ultimate's roster has had their character's games, stories and elements from their games known to the public for a good amount of time. The only closest it's ever been with Corrin, when Fates had been released in June, then the reveal came in December, so about half a year, give or take.

And in all honesty, that gameplay shown back in E3 really looked like too much of a beta build of the battle system. I hope they really polished it up during these 8 months.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean, I'm just saying.

Both of the weapons he's associated with, Dire Thunder and the Meisterschwert, have the Brave effect.
I'm just waiting for the Smash announcement for Brave Reinhardt that's just a FEH seasonal banner in disguise.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Real talk though, I deleted FE Heroes from my phone not too long ago. I got really tired of increasing amounts of whale pandering and excessive alts, and it's not like I ever cared for the story.

Gosh though seeing Tibarn and Naliah finally make it in almost makes me want to go reinstall it. Oh and they have Duma too? (Although that whole Mythic Hero thing goes back to the whale pandering problem).

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

I feel like Roy's at least fine in this regard now.
Thirteen?

...am I missing something? Did they just secretly add whole Heroes roster to Smash?
8 Pokemon characters and 5 FE characters aside from Marth and Chrom.

The initial post said that both Pokemon and FE characters always added the newest member:

Pikachu and Jiggs coincide with the releases of PKMN RBGY

Mewtwo coincides with PKMN The 1st Movie

Pichu coincides with GSC

Roy coincides with Binding Blade

PKMN Trainer coincides with FRLG

Lucario coincides with DPPt

Ike coincides with Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn

Greninja coincides with XY

Robin and Lucina coincide with Awakening

Corrin coincides with Fates

Incineroar coincides with Sun/Moon

Only Chrom and Marth break this trend.

Most recent FE game when Marth was added was Thracia 776.

As for Chrom, Most recent FE was Shadows of Valentia.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Speaking of:

This reminds me: Will they actually go with the classic Toriyama art style for Erdrick?

Or will they adapt his kid design into the “newer” style?

D

Deleted member

In the meantime, I just said **** it to both Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors and instead got Celeste.

It's good.

Dunkey shown me the light.

It's real good.

ALSO THE CHARACTERS SPEAK LIKE OKAMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom