• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, consuming all Fate material is easy, the problem is making sense of it all.

Just watch it already, Gwen, you're gonna like it, there's an entire class dedicated to Riders after all.
Sorry I like it when writers do more than constantly shill their favourite show

D

Deleted member

Considering I'm a huge Metroid fan, I do. And whether I like the game or not is irrelevant because I'm a grown-up
And that is fine.
There's just some bits that don't mix well with the rest of the timeline, like the lack of the Chozoz when the game talks about Samus's past.

KMDP

Smash Legend
And that is fine.
There's just some bits that don't mix well with the rest of the timeline, like the lack of the Chozo when the game talks about Samus's past.
I... what?

How do you explore Samus' past without mentioning the Chozo at all?

I mean, clearly it can be done because they did it, but what the hell?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
And that is fine.
There's just some bits that don't mix well with the rest of the timeline, like the lack of the Chozoz when the game talks about Samus's past.
I don't consider that a contradiction as it never really delved into Samus' past before joining the GF. other than that infamous scene which yes, even a filthy apologist like me won't defend

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't consider that a contradiction as it never really delved into Samus' past before joining the GF. other than that infamous scene which yes, even a filthy apologist like me won't defend
This is ironic because the Ridley scene is the only scene I'm willing to somewhat defend in that game as PTSD doesn't get 'fixed'

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is ironic because the Ridley scene is the only scene I'm willing to somewhat defend in that game as PTSD doesn't get 'fixed'
I also like the implications of that scene (story telling wise), but I think we can mostly agree there was next to no build-up to it, which dampened the impact a lot of a lot of players.

Personally, I think it's okay for the game to depend on manga, considering Ridley's whole character depends on it and people have no problem with it, but I digress.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I also like the implications of that scene (story telling wise), but I think we can mostly agree there was next to no build-up to it, which dampened the impact a lot of a lot of players.

Personally, I think it's okay for the game to depend on manga, considering Ridley's whole character depends on it and people have no problem with it, but I digress.
See, I WOULD agree with that IF the manga was officially released outside of Japan or even promoted during the time Other M was being hyped up.

That and if the manga wouldn't be contradicted by Other M despite having the same ****ing writer

D

Deleted member

Other M has good stuff like the gameplay and the great graphics.
But the story is the only huge problem for me.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Really, if they wanted to have Samus have a Panic Attack encountering Ridley, they should have had Other M be a prequel where it's the first time she encounters him since he killed her parents (but they've got to tie it to Super Metroid for the sake of nostalgia, so whatever)

They also should have adapted the Metroid prequel manga into the game., so that the filthy western plebs can actually get context for Samus' relationship with Ridley.

The thing about Samus' PTSD with Ridley is that at the time Other M is placed, Samus has encountered (and killed) Ridley multiple times at that point, while PTSD never truly goes away, it does dampen over time, especially if you get some kind of catharsis or closure,

Of course, what do I know, I've never actually played a Metroid game and have only watched LPs and reviews about the series, so maybe I'm wrong.

D

Deleted member

Samus’ PTSD wasn’t that out of place, since after Super Metroid she would have hoped to not see him again. Of course she would be shocked after seeing him back and being present when the Baby Metroid died at the end of Super Metroid.

This video features a decent theory about the reasons behind the PTSD scene.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I've got like, 8 clips now that might be montage worthy, and half of them are from today.

I think I am going to end up making my own montage after all. I'm not sure if I want to include clips I got against bad players though. You can get some really good call outs against them but it almost feels more mean then impressive. It's not like punishing a bad air dodge is super impressive or anything. Thankfully now that I seem to be able to hold my position in Elite Smash that shouldn't be happening as much but 3 of those clips that weren't from today were all against less then amazing players.

KMDP

Smash Legend
So I've got like, 8 clips now that might be montage worthy, and half of them are from today.

I think I am going to end up making my own montage after all. I'm not sure if I want to include clips I got against bad players though. You can get some really good call outs against them but it almost feels more mean then impressive. It's not like punishing a bad air dodge is super impressive or anything. Thankfully now that I seem to be able to hold my position in Elite Smash that shouldn't be happening as much but 3 of those clips that weren't from today were all against less then amazing players.
I dunno, showing punishes against really bad plays can be pretty fun to watch.

I mean, just look at Alpharad's How to Play series.

D

Deleted member

I mean a lot of montages are just people holding smash attack until someone dumb enough runs into them

I would say go for it!

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I like the fact that both Metroid timelines that have been posted have conveniently left out Other M (though one of them called attention to it).
Well among the Metroid fanbase, it's common practice to say: "Oh yeah, btw, Other M doesn't exist!" While tactically leaving out any mention of Federation Force.
The fact that I just typed that name is already violation of the groundrules tbh

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
KMDP KMDP You know how I talked about that "gaijin" manga artist Boichi and how he's currently making Dr. Stone (which will get an anime in July btw)?

Well get this...

It's honestly becoming my favorite current manga

KMDP

Smash Legend
...Doing a lot of discussing timelines and Metroids and not actually doing what I intended to do, which is design characters.

The Instant Gratification Monkey strikes again.
KMDP KMDP You know how I talked about that "gaijin" manga artist Boichi and how he's currently making Dr. Stone (which will get an anime in July btw)?

Well get this...

It's honestly becoming my favorite current manga
Hm... maybe I should look into Dr. Stone at some point.

The only manga I'm currently reading are One Piece and My Hero Academia, occasionally I catch up with Dragon Ball Super, and I'll go back to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure at some point.

D

Deleted member

Egh, good night everyone (or at least to those living in my time zone).
I need some sleep. But, before I leave, I give you this:
C h e f B o y a r d e e.

D

Deleted member

So many birthday wishes from yesterday! I can't even count them all! Thanks, everyone!!!! :3

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I just replayed Sonic Generations again. It may be short, but damn is it fun. This is like, the third time I’ve replayed it sense I got it last summer.

I wish Classic City Escape’s music Track was in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I just replayed Sonic Generations again. It may be short, but damn is it fun. This is like, the third time I’ve replayed it sense I got it last summer.

I wish Classic City Escape’s music Tracks was in Smash Ultimate.
Imo, Sonic Generations was the peak of modern Sonic...
My only real nitpick with the game, were the classic stages...
They weren't as fun as the modern stages for me
Other than that, amazing gane
idk why this makes me feel so u...un...easy
Maybe if you eat your Chef Boyardee, you'll start to feel better :4pacman:

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
See, I WOULD agree with that IF the manga was officially released outside of Japan or even promoted during the time Other M was being hyped up.

That and if the manga wouldn't be contradicted by Other M despite having the same ****ing writer
Honestly, as much as that scene is hated I can at least understand where it was coming from since it was a notable flaw to the character and gave depth to the relationship between her and Ridley. The problem is that narratively it falls apart in all areas since, as you said, it expects the player to read an obscure manga since it doesn't explain anything about it, and it doesn't give a proper conclusion since despite building up to a rematch Ridley gets offed offscreen and thus Samus can't show how she grew from her shortcoming. So it feels out of place and contradicting to the character instead of developing her further.

By contrast, the Adam scene is far worse since narratively it makes no sense for either character, pointlessly puts Samus in danger, and contradicts what we've seen of both Samus and Adam in the manga and Fusion. It was clearly made to give Adam his sad sacrifice, but failed to make it meaningful or sympathetic for the character, so what you're left with is many players scratching their heads wondering why Samus would care about this jerk who shot her in the back while a Metroid was nearby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom