• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Honestly when I checked the wikia it looked fairly tame. Was it something I missed or...?
It literally got vandalised by a group of people about 3 weeks ago and has a further history of vandalism from ex-members.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm only adding like a paragraph of surface level stuff to the pages, and it's not like the wiki suffers constant vandalism. Literally nobody in the SmashBoards inner circles is going to trash anybody's pages, and if a random person goes on and deletes everything, we can just revert no big deal. I mean, if somebody does edit somebody's page to something they don't like, at that point the option is to grow a spine and click the undo button in the history. There isn't really room for full-blown disaster besides wide-scale edit bombing.
You sure? Because I sometimes feel like a couple people here don't like me that much... and it'd be really easy for them to vandal and such...

At least get a moderator or something...

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm assuming people are just writing **** on peoples pages?

We could make mock-up ones...?
Says you, the person who was not there for the disaster of the first attempt of making the damn place.

Don't ****ing do it.

QuiqueST

Smash Apprentice
Honestly when I checked the wikia it looked fairly tame. Was it something I missed or...?
I wasn't here when it was made and used but the thing with wikis is that anyone (or at least a good amount of people) can edit them. This makes it so some people can put things like insults or threats to a user's page. It can easily be used as a device for toxicity and problematics. The wiki pages might look tame right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if at one point several of them were filled with texts full of disrespect based on the type of response other users have said.

This is one of those things that on concept, sounds nice but can easily go south and end up causing conflict between people.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Hey, in 8 years when we’re discussing Super Smash Bros Calamity and people bring up making a social wiki, don’t be surprised if you completely regret this.
I cant wait for Smash Calamity! All of the complaints Sakurai got about Ganondorf being a falcon clone corrupted him. The only content is Calamity Ganon. Characters? Calamity Gani. Stages? Calamity Ganons. Songs? Calamity ganon in morse code.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
You must be new :V

The wiki was used as a weapon back then
Yep. I'm new. Back then. Do you think the weaponizers are all going to rise from their graves and attack the pages again? The possibility of hiring mods for the wiki is never gone, and all that needs to happen are, as they exist here, bans and reverts.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
"Vast" I mean, no offense, but it seems pretty evenly split. I still don't see a problem with making sure that everybody on that list has a good, well-written article on the wiki, rather than, to Zinith's point, an unknown, hostile one.
No offense buddy, but this is not evenly split.

Outside of a few people, everyone else is saying it's a bad idea.

Pakky

Smash Hero
This is exactly why I want it!
There once was a forum called the "Naruto Fan Forum" (Its still up) They had a popular subsection called the 'Outskirts Battledome' there they would talk about character matchups in a variety of scenarios much like how Death Battle is today.

This turned into a separate site called by the same name of the thread. Which categorized characters based on calcs and debates had on the forum (see Vs battle Wikia for an example).

The problem is that they had multiple pages for users and or supporters of series. This was fine until it started being used as a tool against people on the main forum whom those on the wikia didn't like.

Don't do this.

D

Deleted member

Yep. I'm new. Back then. Do you think the weaponizers are all going to rise from their graves and attack the pages again? The possibility of hiring mods for the wiki is never gone, and all that needs to happen are, as they exist here, bans and reverts.
Dude, literally everybody is saying don’t do it, new and old. It’s making some people uncomfortable.
I’d recommend just stopping while you’re ahead mate.

D

Deleted member

I really like the idea and I still stand by that, but if the majority don't want it, I don't think we should do it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What purpose did a wiki even serve back then? What does it serve NOW?

Wikias aren't even wikias anymore, they're called fandoms. It's like that one dating sim game if the ****ing normalboots crew and projareds malnourished face drawn up all pretty. It's embarrassing and makes everyone look like a pretentious egotistical ass thinking they're worthy enough to have a golden pedestal be risen to them for spending their days typing on a forum instead of doing something productive

Last edited:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Dude, literally everybody is saying don’t do it, new and old. It’s making some people uncomfortable.
I’d recommend just stopping while you’re ahead mate.
Okay. I mentioned a wiki. So regardless of whether I create the pages or no, wouldn't the attackers go back to attacking? Me creating a page wouldn't suddenly trigger everybody to return to using it as a weapon. The thing that the wiki needs most is actual mods. People could use Smashboards as a means to attack people if mods didn't exist.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
*sigh* I can't believe we are still talking about, or even debating on a Smash Wikia. Do you think it is possible all bad things done before may have since been deleted and erased permanently which is why you can't see them? Even if that is not the case, the large number of those against this and being uncomfortable about it makes it a bad idea, still.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hearing all the talk about the wiki bein' ****ed makes me regret signin' onto it. And for that reason, I'm out.

D

Deleted member

Okay. I mentioned a wiki. So regardless of whether I create the pages or no, wouldn't the attackers go back to attacking? Me creating a page wouldn't suddenly trigger everybody to return to using it as a weapon. The thing that the wiki needs most is actual mods. People could use Smashboards as a means to attack people if mods didn't exist.
Dude why are you so insistent on this

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I’d rather you guys tell me here what you all think of me.
Final post. You're a good dude, and I've been a huge fan of the stuff that you've been posting here. With that being said, does it really matter what other people say on your page? I mean, what is stopping vandals from coming here and saying something negative? They'd get banned.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So it was vandalized 3 weeks ago despite it being forgotten?

Doesn't that prove my point of there being no benefit of keeping it hidden and only benefits of being known about it? There's gonna be attacks on your character on the internet regardless of if you're aware of them or not...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It literally got vandalised by a group of people about 3 weeks ago and has a further history of vandalism from ex-members.
I saw it too when I got an e-mail that my page was changed.

Just some dumb people.

Regardless, I agree with the idea of just letting it go since it's not handled maturely enough anyway.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
What's so ****ing hard to get about "Yeah we don't want to bring that wiki back, don't make new pages, it has a **** history and so on?"

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Final post. You're a good dude, and I've been a huge fan of the stuff that you've been posting here. With that being said, does it really matter what other people say on your page? I mean, what is stopping vandals from coming here and saying something negative? They'd get banned.
How about this? When people who were around to see the wiki in its heyday tell you it's a bad idea to bring it back up, since they witnessed firsthand what having it can lead to, you listen to them and, oh, I dunno, not ****ing do it?

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Yes it does. Some people such as me get insulted easily. If someone went ****ting on me there I wouldn't forget it.

Bottom line, according to the masses this idea is a bad one, so let's just trust them.

D

Deleted member

Look, I may not have been active here during events that previously took place, but I can say this:

What you want to do is make a page detailing about a real person. A page that can be viewed by anyone and edited by anyone.

It's not a matter of if, something bad will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom