• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Alright, so there’s currently a thread on this site talking about how 3rd parties should be exclusively Nintendo related and that picks like Joker, Cloud, and Snake were terrible.

I can’t be the only person who thinks that’s a bad idea, right?
Nope. There're a lot of good reasons to include a character in Smash, but satisfying the purity kink of internet randos is not one of them

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Alright, so there’s currently a thread on this site talking about how 3rd parties should be exclusively Nintendo related and that picks like Joker, Cloud, and Snake were terrible.

Considering Joker's overwhelmingly positive reception, I think its safe to say he was a good pick.

But some Smash fans think they're speaking for everyone when they're just speaking for themselves, and can't seem to comprehend that not everyone has to be loyal to just a single system.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

TJ919

Smash Journeyman

Wt...
But a 3rd party is unrelated to nintendo
Cause that's what a third party is
But they want third parties to be related to nintendo
But that's first party
Just--
And Cloud, Joker, and Snake are awesome why would--
Screenshot_2019-04-26-19-19-45~2.png

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'll say it again my final predictions who I'm certain are dying.

Black Widow
Captain America
Drax (Possibility temporary where in future film he comes back in a new and more powerful body like his original origin in the comics)
Gamora (Temporary; Will be the focal point for Guardians 3 where an determined Quill is trying to bring her back)
Nebula
Rhodes (If Tony lives)

Otherwise again Tony Stark is 50/50 for me.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Wt...
But a 3rd party is unrelated to nintendo
Cause that's what a third party is
But they want third parties to be related to nintendo
But that's first party
Just--
And Cloud, Joker, and Snake are awesome why would--
View attachment 213262
I mean, Banjo Kazooie is a third party with ties to Nintendo, so it's possible.

But yeah, it's a really stupid argument.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I am on the final five episodes of Monster.

We're in the Endgame now. Can't wait for the inevitable showdown between good and evil; pacifist doctor vs. chilling megalomaniac.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Honestly it's sad as those people refuse to try out legitimately great stuff because of a rather small label.

Also the OP is a goddamn idiot and says Doomguy, who's franchise has been on Nintendo for a long ass time, wasn't Nintendo enough and it's ironic that people there would be fine with Banjo Kazooie because they're owned by a rival in the industry. Also some people go "Snake has Nintendo significance because the first Metal Gear was on the NES!" when it wasn't the first Metal Gear game

D

Deleted member

Snake has Nintendo significance because the first Metal Gear was on the NES!" when it wasn't the first Metal Gear game
I mean, it is the first Metal Gear game, just not the original version. It was a multi-console game, not sure what you're trying to say here lol

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Considering Joker's overwhelmingly positive reception, I think its safe to say he was a good pick.

But some Smash fans think they're speaking for everyone when they're just speaking for themselves, and can't seem to comprehend that not everyone has to be loyal to just a single system.
There's plenty of people that are loyal to their one system. Not hard to see why since most people don't get the chance to have more than console per generation, which makes them more protective of their choice. Unless you got the extra income or have a family member/roommate to buy an alternative along with your own.

From a marketing standpoint, they should go with it though, the Switch is fairly huge and people who like it know Joker because of a huge system seller.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm listening to P4 music ATM and dang I forgot how much this soundtrack can just get you pumped up.

If I had to guess, we'll probably play as other characters in these episodes, similar to FFXV's DLC. First one will probably be
Xion
, while the others will be character like Lea and Riku. Maybe even Mickey?

EDIT: Saw you edited the post and added new info that made my speculation redundant, lol. My bad.
There's only one scenario. The other two are episodes, which leads me to believe there'll be differences between them all. I think the Episodes will be more like 0.2 Fragmentary Passage.

All I want is a True Data Org and Yozora fights and I'll be fine. If they want to add an arena with Sephiroth that'd be great too.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
View attachment 213261

"we're gonna ship em whether you like it or not, kids"
O h
b o y
h e r e
w e
g o.

As much as I don't like the idea of DLC being all 3rd party, I do think that having 3rd parties in Smash, regardless of their relationship w/ Nintendo, was a great choice.

Having characters that expand beyond Nintendo's usual market helps bring in people that typically wouldn't be interested in Smash.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There's plenty of people that are loyal to their one system. Not hard to see why since most people don't get the chance to have more than console per generation, which makes them more protective of their choice. Unless you got the extra income or have a family member/roommate to buy an alternative along with your own.

From a marketing standpoint, they should go with it though, the Switch is fairly huge and people who like it know Joker because of a huge system seller.
Well yeah, I've actually never owned anything but Nintendo systems my entire life. Its what I grew up with and going multiplat is just too pricey for me at the moment.

Doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to understand the appeal of having third parties from other systems appear as guest characters.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I mean, it is the first Metal Gear game, just not the original version. It was a multi-console game, not sure what you're trying to say here lol
There's also the Gameboy Color game, the 2nd NES that's not technically part of the lore, Twin Snakes on Gamecube, and again, that main NES game. Hell after Brawl, Snake Eater got a port on 3DS, so Snake's even more reasonable in that sense.

With Cloud, he was on Theater Rhythm 1 and 2, KH Chain of Memories and I think the GBA version of FF Tactics still has him in it as a bonus character. And that one 3DS game that was shown off the SAME DIRECT he had his Smash Confirmation.

****** wanna talk trash but won't do the research.

EDIT: Not to say I thought Cloud was gonna happen, I was genuinely surprised when it happened. I would've bet on Sora at the time. But he DID have Nintendo appearances.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

People need to quit living in the 90's. Console loyalty really isn't as big, nowadays. Cross platform play, and Microsoft's recent flexibility as of late kinda prove this. Ultimatley, I feel like gaming as a whole is a group effort. Consoles are really kind of a preference thing.

Imo, Ever since Snake got in Brawl, Smash became more than just a celebration of Nintendo, but a celebration of gaming in general. I personally feel like that was the right direction to go. if we stuck with only Nintendo centric third parties, the options would be limited and kinda dull.

So imo, with the way the industry's going, and with a lot more possibilities at hand with them, I'm all for non Nintendo related third parties, whether others like it or not.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I didn't sleep.

Raise your hands if you're shocked.

However, I used my time wisely. I present an evolution of the diner-style grilled cheese:

View attachment 213248

The diner-style cheeseburger.

A bacon and cheddar 80/20 patty surrounded by american and Welsh cheddar cheese, put on two pieces of whole-grain toast and pan-fried with mayo.

One half vanished before I found my camera.

So let's see what I've returned to.

View attachment 213250

Ooo.

View attachment 213251

Ooooooo.
Yooo, a Wakfu gif on this forum? (the girl with the green hair What a time to be alive
I was going through my list of people I had ignored, and I remembered that one dude who was around during Ultimate's speculation period who primarily just complained about how ZSS was completely and utterly ruined because they made her boobs smaller.

Those were dark times.
God, I remember this guy wayyyy too well.

Well, while I wasn't a big fan of his posts, I hope atleast he is doing well now....but I think I might be hoping too much considering how anti-Utlimate Samus he was.
Nintendo purists are dumb
Purists are dumb in general imo.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm certainly glad fans are more accepting of 3rd party characters in Smash now, because during the days leading up to Wii U it was an entirely different story.

Like, Snake was explained away because "He was too violent", and characters like Professor Layton, Shovel Knight, and Shantae were considered big picks. Now, I'm not going to just **** on people's favorite picks. All I would say is that there is a clear difference between all three of those characters, and even somebody like Joker.

Every single pick, Bayonetta included, has drawn in a new audience to Smash regardless of what the history of each respective series has been.
Honestly it's sad as those people refuse to try out legitimately great stuff because of a rather small label.

Also the OP is a goddamn idiot and says Doomguy, who's franchise has been on Nintendo for a long *** time, wasn't Nintendo enough and it's ironic that people there would be fine with Banjo Kazooie because they're owned by a rival in the industry. Also some people go "Snake has Nintendo significance because the first Metal Gear was on the NES!" when it wasn't the first Metal Gear game
Exactly. Why should it matter when Snake debuted on a Nintendo console when Metal Gear Solid is...Metal Gear Solid, and he provides a fun and unique moveset?

In addition, while I think Doomguy would be probably fun it's certainly not gaming history that keeps him out if you ask me. It's the fact that Doomguy brings with him, most likely a stage that would literally be titled "Hell", because that's where he goes in his games. It might sound ridiculous, maybe, but that's moreso why I could see a potential Bethesda pick explore other options like Skyrim (which also arguably has gaming history) or Fallout. Probably Elder Scrolls though.

Doesn't mean he doesn't have gaming history, nor that he wouldn't be a good pick. I can just see reasoning as to why he wouldn't be in.
O h
b o y
h e r e
w e
g o.

As much as I don't like the idea of DLC being all 3rd party, I do think that having 3rd parties in Smash, regardless of their relationship w/ Nintendo, was a great choice.

Having characters that expand beyond Nintendo's usual market helps bring in people that typically would be interested in Smash.
That's precisely the point of 3rd parties at this point, so I'm in complete agreement with you.

Basically, do I think it's going to be weird knowing that Smash Ultimate didn't completely cap off the DK series because of the lack of Dixie Kong? Maybe. But I also understand why she wouldn't be picked, because her taking a DLC spot does nothing to expand the audience, and nothing to expand the Smash Universe.

It makes complete sense as to why entirely 3rd party works.

D

Deleted member

Please stop putting teleporting gimmicks in RPGs. Please, I beg you, I can't keep doing this, all I want is to know where I'm going.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I get it, I can only really afford one console too. And I always go Nintendo.

But Christ almighty the hate against Third Parties is stupid.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995

Alright let's get to the bottom of this.

Who's he holding out for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom