• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I thought gay people were evil when I first started talking to people online.

My community has very little openly gay people and no one I actively talked to.

But I talked to, made friends with and eventually came to respect LGBT people through my time online.

Am I just an anomaly?
I wouldn't say so. A lot of people in my community don't like the LGBTQ+ community, but I started talking to a few people who happened to be in it, and eventually came out myself.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nobody's going to change their view point because of random people. Come on, let's be real here. The anonymity means the human connection is lost. Absolutely nobody goes online and will have their world changed by the Internet (Well, not in a good way, anyway)

In real life? Possibly, but as an online forum we can't influence that path, and sometimes people are just here at the wrong time in their lives.
I have to disagree. People I've met online taught me a lot, and I can't safely say I'd be the same person I am today without them.

It's the same with real life relationships: if you are open to change, even small encounters can have a big effect on you.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I have to disagree. People I've met online taught me a lot, and I can't safely say I'd be the same person I am today without them.

It's the same with real life relationships: if you are open to change, even small encounters can have a big effect on you.
Guess I'm out of the loop since I don't forge relationships online. I just discuss things.

But having small communities/cliques and actively being involved in discussion is different from large forums and constantly trolling with hate speech.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes this an online forum, yes this a smash forum. But even a little bit of enocuragement can go a long way. You aren't going to completely change your political opinion because of a smash forum, but even one comment saying 'hey that view isnt correct' can make you reconsider things, and that's really the first step to change.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991

I don’t feel like I’d be the same person if I never met my friends online. But than again I’ve always been the kind of person shaped by their environment.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This is the main thing.
Plenty of bigots aren't willing to change their "views" at all. If I'm to give someone a second chance then they need to genuinely show that they want to change and improve. They also need to show that they have indeed changed.

That's frequently not the case however and it's happened over the past few weeks in this very thread.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Honestly, intercating more online, especially on this forum, make me feel like I became a better person in general. Of course, I didn't became better in one day and I still needed help irl because dyspraxia and all that "fun" stuff, but I feel like I wouldn't be the same person today if it wasn't for some peoples on this forum who have been really kind to me, even in my dumbest or worst moments.

Tho, I admit it too, the internet as also make me like things I never though I would have before, but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...................we don't talk about that here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I kinda want to tell you guys the cursed image that I want made
but I'm worried it might be too cursed

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
What’s up fellas
We talking about some deep **** right now?

Cause I can assure you all at the very least this place has been a haven for me in terms of my mental health. A great escape.

However... none of you have really changed my viewpoints on anything, but that’s probably cause we either agree on most things or it’s one of the things I’m stubborn about lol

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Alright while we're talking on the latest posts let's explode this thread with this rumor:

https://www.gamesradar.com/report-a...appening-this-week-and-it-could-be-a-big-one/

Apparently a direct could be happening this week and it could be a big one at that, what do you think of that? The date would make sense actually because Reggie is retiring in a week, we need an update on the new character Joker, and many more reasons.

Last edited:

Just a penguin

Smash Master
Alright while we're talking on the latest posts let's explode this thread with this rumor:

https://www.gamesradar.com/report-a...appening-this-week-and-it-could-be-a-big-one/

Apparently a direct could be happening this week and it could be a big one at that, what do you think of that? The date would make sense actually because Reggie is retiring in a week, we need an update on the new character Joker, and many more reasons.
Unnamed sources without evidence are pretty sketchy.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

>"via reputable source of industry leaks GamingIntel"
>GamingIntel
>reputable

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I kinda want to tell you guys the cursed image that I want made
but I'm worried it might be too cursed
Then it's best to not post it.

What’s up fellas
We talking about some deep **** right now?

Cause I can assure you all at the very least this place has been a haven for me in terms of my mental health. A great escape.

However... none of you have really changed my viewpoints on anything, but that’s probably cause we either agree on most things or it’s one of the things I’m stubborn about lol
I can relate to that. If it wasn't for here, I wouldn't have anyone to talk to beside my brother for months.

Like, I like solitude but not that much.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Hey yo, Gamingintel, I'm still waiting on that N64 classic you promised during the November Smash presentation

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

ezgif-4-91b6c4c1b233.gif

If it finally has some animal crossing, Id consider it big

D

Deleted member

Internet friends are in no way less valid than ones you make irl and I dunno why anyone would argue otherwise.
And I can guarantee that the internet can affect your views in some way or another, I became a ****head because of it and I then grew out of that phase thanks to it too.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991

> 3.0.0 gets revealed in a general direct
> Before the Persona event

I D O N ‘ T T H I N K S O

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Actually if I remember correctly, hasn't the site correctly predicted the january direct? (If there was one, that is)
There was no January Direct

Also, I think most of us here has lost respect for Gaming Intel

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A lot of people are focused on the “what” and not the “how”. There has been a clear mindset that “x, y, and z are bad and should be treated as such”. For whatever reason, the entire internet feels that the only way to change this behavior is to ridicule the opposing ideology and make them feel little, as opposed to trying to figure out why the issue exists in the first place.

Or, they just say it’s bad because they want to look like a good person. (Sorry for calling out, like, half of twitter).

Or, like, a bully. The type of person that some have identified our president as, and plenty of people don’t like him for that exact reason.

Many people have viewed certain topics as black and white. Either you’re racist or you’re not, sexist or not, -phobic or not. However, that is rarely the case.

I have relatives who have said some pretty awful things, or shared offensive memes. My gay brother has not been amused, and has even gone as far as to mute their posts. My brother has a right to be offended, as it comes from family members who know of his identity.

That doesn’t mean we shut them out of our lives and stop loving them.

If you really think that hate is going to drive out other forms of hate, then you aren’t a student of social justice. I’m also not entirely sure how ignoring the crying out of people who are in pain, and then complaining that people have ****ty opinions is going to change the world either.

Changing one opinion is a small victory, that can’t be denied. But a victory is a victory. You cannot look me in the metaphorical face and tell me that ignoring people is effective. What isn’t effective, is staying in our comfort zones and burrowing deeper into an echo chamber. This is largely what social media has become, mainly because a large amount of people decide its easier to just mute or block another person.

Maybe changing the world in a positive way isn’t for everybody, but to suggest it is a waste of time is basically just a response of giving in or not seeing value in making the world a better place. Everyone, not just people with a hateful, painful lived experience, needs to have an open mind.

If you want the world to be a better, kinder, fairer, more loving place, then you have to put the work in, even if it’s a stranger on a Smash Bros site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom