• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
And then I'd feel obliged to do it. :laugh:

Okay, Zinith Zinith , what are your nominees? I'll note them down now so that, should I choose to do this, you won't have to later.

Future proofing, you know, you might not be around when I open up nominations.
  1. Joker
  2. Bayonetta
  3. Sonic
  4. Akira Yuki
Trying out something.

That's part of what makes it so funny. It's parodying people who hate the FE crew for being "too anime" despite the fact that many of them love a Japanese superhero who shouts out the names of his signature moves as he uses them.

It's ironic.
It may be just me, but most people who unironically go "too anime" seems to be okay with characters who are more masculine.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Well, the maximum is a 48 tribute roster of 4 per district.

So, four.
Alrighty, here we go

1. Prince Charming (Shrek 2)
2. Weird Al Yankovic
3. Pancake Bunny (Wreck-it Ralph 2)
4. Spider-Man

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
KMDP KMDP I shall also give my hypothetical nominations, since I've been less active and there's a good chance I won't be around.

1. Aisaka Taiga
  2. Alejandro (Total Drama)
  3. Spike (My Little Pony)
  4. Amazon Pandora

Shroob

Sup?
  1. Joker
  2. Bayonetta
  3. Sonic
  4. Akira Yuki
Trying out something.

It may be just me, but most people who unironically go "too anime" seems to be okay with characters who are more masculine.
They don't like pretty boys is what they mean.

But MACHO MACHO MEN are TOUGH and MANLY.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Me
Breadbear
The Sans Is Ness Thumbnail
Buff Kirby
Hold on. He has ground rules for this one:

You know, I've been considering hosting a Hunger Games myself, after all the others that have made the rounds recently.

However, were I to do one, I'd want it to be something special; considering the fact that Hunger Games simulators have been a dime a dozen in the past month.

Here's my idea, and keep in mind that this is, as of now, hypothetical:

Everyone who takes part chooses a party of representatives, though users in themselves cannot take part.
The representatives would have to be actual, individual characters, no concepts (i.e. "Sans" and "Shaggy", not "Default Dancing Sans" and "Ultra Instinct Shaggy"). Duplicate characters are also not allowed (e.g. if someone takes Sans, nobody else can have Sans).
At the end of each day, users select highlights (not necessarily deaths) that I would then draw.

The owner of the winning district gets a drawing of their characters.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

Okay, Zinith Zinith , what are your nominees? I'll note them down now so that, should I choose to do this, you won't have to later.

As everyone is being all hypothetical right now, best get my foot in the door when I still can:

1. Lanky Kong
2. Skull Kid
3. Hocotate Freight President (from Pikmin)
4. Midna

Hopefully none of these are :ultgreninja:'d

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If my old story times are just gonna turn to people ****ting on the moderators here, I won't tell any more stories.

No more.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

1. Darth Vader
2. Ganon's Sword
3. The green guy who dies in the opening of Megaman X2
4. Will Smith

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Since it's been brought up already, the issue I see with permabanning someone so quickly, even if they said something horrible, is that it never gives them a chance to fix their behaviors.

That's the point of infraction systems in the first place, isn't it?

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Think we may have jumped the gun on this simulator

D

Deleted member

You know, I've been considering hosting a Hunger Games myself, after all the others that have made the rounds recently.

However, were I to do one, I'd want it to be something special; considering the fact that Hunger Games simulators have been a dime a dozen in the past month.

Everyone who takes part chooses a party of representatives, though users in themselves cannot take part.
The representatives would have to be actual, individual characters, no concepts (i.e. "Sans" and "Shaggy", not "Default Dancing Sans" and "Ultra Instinct Shaggy"). Duplicate characters are also not allowed (e.g. if someone takes Sans, nobody else can have Sans).
At the end of each day, users select highlights (not necessarily deaths) that I would then draw.

Breadbear
Peni Parker
Elizabeth Afton
Koopa The Quick
Hold on. He has ground rules for this one:
Thank

D

Deleted member

Just let people enjoy the characters they like.

I was bashed a lot on Miiverse for liking Cloud, so I can easily imagine how irritating some people find the anime argument as

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
If my old story times are just gonna turn to people ****ting on the moderators here, I won't tell any more stories.

No more.
Since it's been brought up already, the issue I see with permabanning someone so quickly, even if they said something horrible, is that it never gives them a chance to fix their behaviors.

What in the actual **** did I miss

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord

I personally don't mind a permaban on a troll if there is a good appeal system. Say someone post extremely disturbing stuff and refused to stop, they should be banned. BUT, if the person realizes their mistake, they can appeal and mod can unban them.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just let people enjoy the characters they like.

I was bashed a lot on Miiverse for liking Cloud, so I can easily imagine how irritating some people find the anime argument as
My problem with it, it's not even a valid argument, let alone a remotely good one. It's just "don't want this thing I don't want".

And no, design diversity is not a good argument if the said person simply can't differentiate between artstyles they aren't fond of.

D

Deleted member

My problem with it, it's not even a valid argument, let alone a remotely good one. It's just "don't want this thing I don't want".

And no, design diversity is not a good argument if the said person simply can't differentiate between artstyles they aren't fond of.
Exactly my thoughts.

The anime argument is too easy to take down, and I don't find it as a good one when it comes to Smash.

And the worst part is when people who apply it tend to like characters like Dedede, Megaman or Mario, who in fact starred animes and have designs which could also fit an anime design easily.

The argument is just dumb.

D

Deleted member

Luckily for you, I'm a man who deals in nonexistence. If you are to do this, I guess I'll nominate a Mega Man team. How about Sigma, Mega Man Juno, Dr Wily and Fake Man.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
At times im upset that i missed out on smash 4 dlc speculation

But nah actually im p glad i did. Sounds awful

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You guys understand that "too anime" just means its generically anime right?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, imo, permabans should only be given out if the person is intentionally trying to get a rise out of people, or if they flat out refuse to abide by the rules despite being warned multiple times. If people truly don't realize what they said was wrong, then they need more of a stern talking to that them flat out being permabanned and still not knowing what they did wrong. Just giving out permabans like a cereal box prize isn't gonna fix one's behavior.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
At times im upset that i missed out on smash 4 dlc speculation

But nah actually im p glad i did. Sounds awful
It wasn't very bad iirc. There was a lot more hope around the time, a lot of Shantae and Shovel Knight being throw around. It was only AFTER Corrin and Bayonetta that things got really salty.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You guys understand that "too anime" just means its generically anime right?
Yeah people don't actually care if they were part of an anime, rather if their aesthetic was anime-esque.

Personally I view that as just another matter of taste and you can't really account for taste.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
After Corrin and Bayo, people on Miiverse were a bit salty thay it wasn't K. Rool, but it got better, and people began to like the idea of Bayo. For Corrin, they liked that she was unique, but they wish it was another character.

Gamefaqs was just pissed regardless.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, imo, permabans should only be given out if the person is intentionally trying to get a rise out of people, or if they flat out refuse to abide by the rules despite being warned multiple times. If people truly don't realize what they said was wrong, then they need more of a stern talking to that them flat out being permabanned and still not knowing what they did wrong. Just giving out permabans like a cereal box prize isn't gonna fix one's behavior.
who cares about fixing people's behavior

this is an internet forum not a daycare

if someone is repeatedly saying incredibly offensive things even if they don't know that it's wrong they should still be perma'd (or temp'd depending on the offense)

like it's not smashboards' responsibility to "fix" someone's behavior lmao this is a children's game discussion forum not group therapy

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah, so like, saying something like a real world location should be bombed is clearly not a good thing. Obviously, there’s something going on outside of what we know and there isn’t necessarily we can directly do.

But I also agree that banning him does nothing to solve the problem. It’s just an avoidance. The dude had some misguided opinions...there are many people with those. However, again, why did he have those opinions, and how did he get to being hateful?

Certainly, the opinions he had weren’t good. But if we don’t try to understand the behavior and help change it (granted, we’re internet strangers) then what actual good does banning do?

Just not really a fan of the hate machine that the internet has become.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I do.

And the moment I stop is the moment I give up on everyone. Myself included.
but again, to my point

if we don't ban hateful people and bigots because they might not know that they're wrong, then we're just allowing them to spout awful things and **** on everyone

sure there's a small chance that we might become their therapist and fix them but be honest how many bigots are gonna be changed by internet randos trying to be nice to them on smashboards

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
we don't ban hateful people and bigots because they might not know that they're wrong, then we're just allowing them to spout awful things and **** on everyone
Just to play Devil's Advocate, Not everyone that has that stupid views are shtright up 100% racist homophobic blah blah people. Yes some people are those deep down to theor soul but some people are just ignorent, and with enough help and digging deep down into their brain to understand them, you may, note MAY. correct it. Do you take a animal to the pound right away when it starts acting up or do you try to understand why its acting up?

If that was the case, I would of giving my rabbit that thumped daily everyday and everynight to SPCA without knowing she was actually in heat and needed to be spayed

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

but again, to my point

if we don't ban hateful people and bigots because they might not know that they're wrong, then we're just allowing them to spout awful things and **** on everyone

sure there's a small chance that we might become their therapist and fix them but be honest how many bigots are gonna be changed by internet randos trying to be nice to them on smashboards
It's always important to try and be understanding. Yes, this is a minor smash forum, its ultimately not super significant, but if only for the benefit of yourself it's good to be aware of why other people think the way they do. It's always good to try.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There's also that someone can change on their own. Maybe someone who said horrible things several years ago could have a change of heart at some point because of some other reason and decided they wanted to come back.

That said I do agree that if someone does continue to insist on being toxic repeatedly a perma ban might be necessary, but I still see them as more of a last resort.
Except they're still getting punished for it through infractions. They aren't allowed to say that stuff here.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You wanna know how we prove them right?

We ostracize them.

Suddenly the world is their enemy and everything they've been spouting has been proven true.

Why listen to the "lib cucks" when they wouldn't even talk to me in the first place? lol
Does that rhetoric sound familiar? I've heard it countless times. Too many times to count.

This is a self perpetuating cycle. It's only gonna get worse.
sure there's a small chance that we might become their therapist and fix them but be honest how many bigots are gonna be changed by people trying to be nice to them on smashboards
Is curing one bigot not worth it?

No one is saying that we're accepting the behavior. No one is saying we agree with it.

But if you don't try to talk to people and keep at it, then they never will change. I think murder is a whole lot worse then what he spouted. Should I give up on every murderer out there? I don't like giving up on people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom