• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If theres gonna be a history of smash speculation, im very interested to see where the origins of obscure (Geno) and ridiculous (Goku) character fan bases come from.
Well, all it really takes is for someone, somewhere, to suggest the character, even non-seriously, and for people to take up the idea.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Alright. All this ****posting and reminiscing has been fun, but I should really be going to bed.

Have a good night everyone!

D

Deleted member

View attachment 205780

Best Mario and Luigi game and definitely deserves a Switch remake. Don't @ me.

That's a large task my friend.

Go for it.
Mind if I cover all of the notable leaks from Melee to Ultimate though? It's something I've wanted to write about for a while anyways. If you want to cover those instead be my guest.
You can certainly add your own thoughts and opinions to it and we could split it up evenly if you'd like!

You can help research it some and we could both add our own thoughts to it like one mega document presented by the both of us with the help of KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
According to Know Your Meme, the first major mod including Goku in Smash was in 2010, and it was a Brawl mod. (I think it was around before then, but I apparently need to go on a walk *sigh* I'll get some research done, and post my findings. KneeOfJustice99; over.)

I should be back for around 12;30 GMT :)

D

Deleted member

According to Know Your Meme, the first major mod including Goku in Smash was in 2010, and it was a Brawl mod. (I think it was around before then, but I apparently need to go on a walk *sigh* I'll get some research done, and post my findings. KneeOfJustice99; over.)
If you'd like you can just PM me if you find anything of interest we wouldn't want to clutter the thread with this sort of stuff.

Shroob

Sup?
That Geno image leak hurt the most tbh.

Not because I necessarily thought Geno was going to be in, but moreso it was just one of those images that 'existed' that no one gave a lot of thought towards for months, and when people finally did take notice, it was quickly shown to be the animation of a mod, just with photoshop slapped onto it.

Prez's realization of "Why would an official character have the same animation as a mod" and her own realization of "Holy **** this is just a mod screenshot" is still one of the most heartbreaking moments of the cycle.

D

Deleted member

Good night, thread! Tonight was fun.
And we loom closer to the direct...
Who will win the debate?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
@ShotoStar if you're actually going to archive the entire history of Smash speculation then I hope you're completely prepared to tackle the juggernaut that is Brawl. Because boy oh boy is there a lot of undocumented stuff from that era. My memory is vague but I remember Ridley supporters made their own site and picked fights with Geno supporters, Waluigi supporters, Ashley supporters, and pretty much anyone who didn't think Ridley was awesome.

D

Deleted member

I just love how one argument I used to make regarding the veracity of the Ken leak was how the model in the leak looked more correct than the models Capcom did for SF4 and SF5 by a mile, and some also took it as a fair point.

Shroob

Sup?
I just love how one argument I used to make regarding the veracity of the Ken leak was how the model in the leak looked more correct than the models Capcom did for SF4 and SF5 by a mile, and some also took it as a fair point.
The Ken leak was a blessing.

The only issue is, it was Ken.

Like, after Richter said "Hey, 3rd party echoes are a thing" and like 5 days later Verge said "Ken's in", everyone knew Ken was in.

And then, the leaker just ripped the band-aide off and showed us Ken.

D

Deleted member

@ShotoStar if you're actually going to archive the entire history of Smash speculation then I hope you're completely prepared to tackle the juggernaut that is Brawl. Because boy oh boy is there a lot of undocumented stuff from that era. My memory is vague but I remember Ridley supporters made their own site and picked fights with Geno supporters, Waluigi supporters, Ashley supporters, and pretty much anyone who didn't think Ridley was awesome.
I'm gonna need a team first and foremost which is something I'll need to work on before we research.

On Board I have KneeOfJustice99 and myself on it though I hope I can get TehPonyCorn on board too as he's very smart I'm sure he'd be super helpful.

But yeah this is going to be a daunting task, I hope I can get this done by the end of the year though.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

@ShotoStar , I could share a lot of stuff about Smash speculation from Miiverse.

Like how a Miiverse artist called Archdan basically made Roy a popular pick for many users before he got leaked thanks to a comic he made.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Good night, thread! Tonight was fun.
And we loom closer to the direct...
Who will win the debate?
Erdrick vs The World debate?

I don't think there's anything concrete and I generally go with Murphy's Law in these kind of situations.

D

Deleted member

@ShotoStar , I could share a lot of stuff about Smash speculation from Miiverse.

Like how a Miiverse artist called Archdan basically made Roy a popular pick for many users before he got leaked thanks to a comic he made.
If you can DM me the info that would be super great!

I think I heard of them before as well, Don't they have a twitter account or something?

osby

Smash Obsessed

Wasn't Roy a popular character already? And how do you even make a character popular only for some people?

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Care to share, even if it's in PMs? The best I found was a crummy wiki page detailing Swamp's debate.

It'd really be nice if places like the Smash 4 Leaks Group had been archived instead of straight up deleted.

To Cyn Cyn and @Moydow I have to ask, why did the administration team delete those places instead of archiving them and allowing access? Was it an issue with site data? Did you not want people to remember the bitter toxicity and elitism of those areas?

I know a large majority of my posts were there and now they can't be found at all. My earliest viewable posts come from the Smash 4 Social Thread after the game's release, when I was here at least a couple of months before then.
The user groups have been archived and definitely not deleted. Should the higher ups ever decide to bring back group functionality, nothing should be lost. Whether or not they would be restored to their original state or just publicly archived, I cannot say for certain.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
On topic, I'm trying to recall all the major leaks, fakes and leakers (both real and fake) of the Ultimate speculation period; so far I've got
- Vergeben mentioning Ridley, Simon, Snake and Ice Climbers (I think?) prior to E3
- The Decidueye v Springman leak
- The 'riddler' leaks (I think there were multiple of these)
- The Funky Kong leak (a 4chan text leak but one which gained traction due to happening to get a couple of things right coincidentally)
- The rise and fall of loz18
- The Agnes leak and the various copycat efforts it inspired
- That fake image of Skull Kid fighting BWD on Poke Floats 2
- The Ken Leak (i.e. the real deal)
- The mother****ing Grinch

I'm only including ones that gained much traction and am using 'leak' fairly liberally (yes yes, "ackshually" they're hoaxes)

Shroob

Sup?
On topic, I'm trying to recall all the major leaks, fakes and leakers (both real and fake) of the Ultimate speculation period; so far I've got
- Vergeben mentioning Ridley, Simon, Snake and Ice Climbers (I think?) prior to E3
- The Decidueye v Springman leak
- The 'riddler' leaks (I think there were multiple of these)
- The Funky Kong leak (a 4chan text leak but one which gained traction due to happening to get a couple of things right coincidentally)
- The rise and fall of loz18
- The Agnes leak and the various copycat efforts it inspired
- That fake image of Skull Kid fighting BWD on Poke Floats 2
- The Ken Leak (i.e. the real deal)
- The mother****ing Grinch

I'm only including ones that gained much traction and am using 'leak' fairly liberally (yes yes, "ackshually" they're hoaxes)
If you're going for the full package, gotta include Gothitelle.

"Riddler" leaks were just dime a dozen 4chan leaks, nothing special.

There were a couple small ones like the Neogaf leak and the Jeuxvideo leak.

Spirits Mode leaked(That's me!)

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
New avatar time! Spoiler Alert: It's not WurmpleZard X, although it almost was.

Word on the street has it that anime girl avatars help you get more likes. That's not why I picked this avatar but I am curious to see if there's any truth to that.

Shroob

Sup?
Despite being on the small-time scale, the Jeuxvideo leak was one of the funniest.

The fact that we got staff from Jeuxvideo to come here and how I constantly had to shut it down whenever it came up on Reddit was something special.

That, and even when you presented irrefutable evidence as to 'why' it was fake, you'd get the occasional "THE STAFF IS COVERING IT UP, MUH CONSPIRACY!" people.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
New avatar time! Spoiler Alert: It's not WurmpleZard X, although it almost was.

Word on the street has it that anime girl avatars help you get more likes. That's not why I picked this avatar but I am curious to see if there's any truth to that.
Wholly untrue. I had an X avi when I first started posting, and I secured a decent amount of likes just fine (but it could just be that X is that awesome). Also, you and I have videogame girls as avis, and both of our avis are completely wholesome.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You know, I've been considering hosting a Hunger Games myself, after all the others that have made the rounds recently.

However, were I to do one, I'd want it to be something special; considering the fact that Hunger Games simulators have been a dime a dozen in the past month.

Here's my idea, and keep in mind that this is, as of now, hypothetical:

Everyone who takes part chooses a party of representatives, though users in themselves cannot take part.
The representatives would have to be actual, individual characters, no concepts (i.e. "Sans" and "Shaggy", not "Default Dancing Sans" and "Ultra Instinct Shaggy"). Duplicate characters are also not allowed (e.g. if someone takes Sans, nobody else can have Sans).
At the end of each day, users select highlights (not necessarily deaths) that I would then draw.

The owner of the winning district gets a drawing of their characters.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
If you're going for the full package, gotta include Gothitelle.

"Riddler" leaks were just dime a dozen 4chan leaks, nothing special.

There were a couple small ones like the Neogaf leak and the Jeuxvideo leak.

Spirits Mode leaked(That's me!)
I forgot about the Gothitelle leak: good times why did that ever gain any traction

As for the 'riddler' leaks, I decided to include them as while they were ultimately nothing more than your daily 4chan fake, they did seem to gain a little traction, especially as they occurred nearer the beginning of the cycle when people were perhaps a little more trusting (though tbh maybe the traction was just people thought it was fun answering the riddles)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You know, I've been considering hosting a Hunger Games myself, after all the others that have made the rounds recently.

However, were I to do one, I'd want it to be something special; considering the fact that Hunger Games simulators have been a dime a dozen in the past month.

Here's my idea, and keep in mind that this is, as of now, hypothetical:

Everyone who takes part chooses a party of representatives, though users in themselves cannot take part.
The representatives would have to be actual, individual characters, no concepts (i.e. "Sans" and "Shaggy", not "Default Dancing Sans" and "Ultra Instinct Shaggy"). Duplicate characters are also not allowed (e.g. if someone takes Sans, nobody else can have Sans).
At the end of each day, users select highlights (not necessarily deaths) that I would then draw.

The owner of the winning district gets a drawing of their characters.
Okay, so how many reps per user? :yoshi:

Shroob

Sup?
I forgot about the Gothitelle leak: good times why did that ever gain any traction

As for the 'riddler' leaks, I decided to include them as while they were ultimately nothing more than your daily 4chan fake, they did seem to gain a little traction, especially as they occurred nearer the beginning of the cycle when people were perhaps a little more trusting (though tbh maybe the traction was just people thought it was fun answering the riddles)
According to all known laws of speculation, there is no way a Gothitelle leak should be able to gain traction. Its backstory is too shaky to get its fragile, clumsily-written backstory circulating around the net. The Gothitelle leak, of course, circulates anyway because leaks don't care what humans think is logical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom