• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
No casual gamer over here knows a thing about Tales, if anything it's a matter of which market they decide to favor. Every choice so far has been a Sakurai decision. The only character we know for a fact that was chosen definitively by Nintendo, is Joker. We don't have enough data yet on where their priorities are. It's why predicting this DLC lineup has been maddeningly difficult. And Sakurai has made many decisions based on the western market, especially with Ultimate thanks to the Smash Ballot.

As for Sakurai's comment about Tekken's movement system, I suggest he play PlayStation All-Stars and get a feel for how they implemented Heihachi. Say what you want about that game and it's quality. But Heihachi was implemented very well in that title.
Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 1.35.55 PM.png

What are you talking about? We have no idea who's been a "Sakurai choice" or a "Nintendo choice." You argue that Joker is a "Nintendo choice" when I would say he's more of a "Sakurai choice" given how much Sakurai loved Persona 5 (you can tell design choices in Smash Ultimate were inspired by it, like the menu and the cut-ins when characters perform their Final Smash). How do you know Joker was a "Nintendo choice?" If there's some interview or statement the rest of us missed then please share with the class so we can all be on the same page.

Next, we do know where Nintendo's priorities lay, at least a little bit. Here's a statement from Nintendo's 2019 Investors Meeting:
With Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, we asked 'How could we reach not only fans of the Super Smash Bros. series, but also those who had never played it before?' If you look at the demographics of the consumers who purchased each of these titles, Iʼm not convinced weʼve completely overcome these challenges yet. So our aims are to keep working on them this year, to expand sales of these titles to new consumer demographics, and to keep selling these games for a long time, which is one of our strengths."
So, Nintendo is shooting for a mix of characters meant to appeal to the core fans while also drawing in new ones. We shouldn't be looking solely for characters that appeal to "the casual market" but demographics without large overlap between them and the demographics of Smash Bros. players. From this perspective, let's analyze Heihachi:
  • Heihachi is from the Tekken series, which is a core fighting game. Therefore, he'd primarily be appealing to the fighting game community.
  • The fighting game community has significant overlap with Smash Bros., and already has characters appealing to them through Ryu and Ken. While it could be argued that Heihachi would be a play to draw in those fighting game players disenfranchised with Smash Bros., I would argue this is unlikely as Nintendo is looking to draw in new demographics, "those who had never played it before."
    • More than that, your claim that Heihachi is known by casual gamers is also questionable, given that Tekken is a core fighting game. While FGC events draw in more viewers, those are more for the games themselves than the characters. Casual gamers won't know much about Heihachi other than the series he's from, similar to how you argue that they wouldn't know much about a Tales of character other than where they come from.
Compare this to Lloyd or another Tales of character:
  • Lloyd is from the Tales of series, which I will admit is a more niche series in the West. However, in Japan it has a massive fanbase. It's fanbase in the West isn't to be understated either. The interesting thing about the series' Japanese fanbase is that it has a massive female following. I hate to be the guy who says "Women can't play vidya gaems!" but it's highly likely that those fans of the Tales of series do not play a Nintendo video game seemingly oriented towards young adult males. Even those male and Western players likely wouldn't be playing Smash Bros. given that Tales of hasn't been prominently on a Nintendo console since Tales of Symphonia 2 on the Wii, which was over 11 years ago. The point is, there's a large demographic of people who likely don't play Smash Bros., and could easily be driven into playing it via the inclusion of a Tales of character.
  • But what about the core fanbase? Surely this makes Lloyd a heartless, corporate shill pick!
  • Speaking about Lloyd specifically, he comes from one of, if not the most popular Tales of games in the West, and the release date of his game puts him in a spot to induce nostalgia-driven hype from core Nintendo fans who played the original Tales of Symphonia on Gamecube and who play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate today. He's truly the best of both worlds, making it understandable why Sakurai would say that Lloyd is "the only appropriate choice."
    • Yuri Lowell and Velvet Crowe could make up for this by appealing to core Nintendo fans similar to Joker and how he represents Shin Megami Tensei. Furthermore, they could draw in Western fans of those games via their inclusion. Either way, a Tales of character appeals to both new demographics and the core fanbase.
  • This isn't even mentioning that the Tales of series shares a history with Nintendo similar to that of Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy, starting out on the Super Nintendo and being a prominent release on Nintendo systems whenever one comes around.
You mention that Sakurai could just rip Heihachi from Tekken, but that completely goes against his design philosophy in moveset creation. Time and time again he's shown that he won't simply rip movesets from other fighting games. Snake and Simon come to mind first, seeing as both appeared in the 2003 DreamMix TV World Fighters!, and neither of their movesets were inspired by those games. The process of coming up with a moveset is much more than just ripping from other games.

Just so you know, I'm not saying any of this to **** on you or Heihachi. It's completely okay to want him and I won't stop you from doing so. But if you're going to come at me with flagrantly false facts I'm going to prove them wrong.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280
GameFaqsBoards. The site becomes Gamefaqs for a day. The new topics include...

"Would you replace Corrin with this Pokemon? Day 705: Stunfisk"

"This game is trash"(note: accounts that post this tend to be new).

"Shill Sakurai adds Incineroar instead of Lana and Popplio?"

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
D

Deleted member

It wouldn't be so irritating if there WAS an option. I don't want to look at it. Holidays as they stand are already just "another day" to me. They piss me off enough already. I want to visit the site, and just have it be normal.

It's the one thing in my life I would LIKE to have normal. And it's not like the mods decorate the site for any other holiday, so why do they make an exception for the most useless one of the year?
I feel like the Chill Man image would be perfect here but I've already used it today and I can't oversaturate my most valuable weapon.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Just post the "No Fun Allowed" image and don't log in, there's another 364 days to visit anyway.
Your post just led to my discovery of this blessed image, so thank you for that

Though this works better for Ultimate's online tbh

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
It's a tradition. For one day. One that MOST EVERYONE LOVES. If you hate it that much, y'know, you could maybe sign off for the day...?
Or maybe I have people here I talk to about serious things and don't want stupid unfunny meme bs distracting me from helping them.

It's just one day over a entire year.

Can't you just accept it's here and move on? Even if you don't like it?
April 1st never brings anything good. I dread it.

Look, ya'll wanna know the main big reason I hate this stupid holiday? I came home from school when I was about 12 to my mom telling me my pet fish, Bill, had died. I said "Haha, good joke mom!" and went in to go feed him.

It wasn't a joke.

Yeah, it was just a little fish, they don't live too long, but I loved that little guy. He was one of the few pets we had I actually liked. I never liked the holiday before that, because the bullies at school used it as an excuse to pick on me, but that's the day I started absolutely HATING it.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Wow, this guys An *******
He's also probably a pedophile, and has called females over the age of 16 "cow grandmas".
He's also obsessed with Lana, so there's a semi-common reaction image on smashfaqs of Lana's head photoshopped onto a cow's body.

D

Deleted member

Time to contribute some madness:

Which roster would y'all prefer-- Ultimate's roster or the "Chihuahua roster": https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77071304

Strawpoll here: https://www.strawpoll.me/17716462/r

For reference, this is a super infamous gamefaqs user who wants Sakurai fired and thinks they'd do a better job.
"You literally made Adolf Hitler get off his **** throne in the midst of the flames of hell, walk into the bathroom, and sob quietly in the corner of a shower. He held a bottle of cheap whiskey in his shaking hand, no longer secure in his position as world's least likable human being."
lol

Last edited by a moderator:

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280
Wow, this guys An *******
He really is. He's convinced Sakurai's only role in life is to snub "classic Nintendo icons" (such as Girl from Hajino no Mori and Lana from Pokemon), instead including Third Parties and Kid Icarus characters to "ruin the good name of Smash"

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
View attachment 203134

What are you talking about? We have no idea who's been a "Sakurai choice" or a "Nintendo choice." You argue that Joker is a "Nintendo choice" when I would say he's more of a "Sakurai choice" given how much Sakurai loved Persona 5 (you can tell design choices in Smash Ultimate were inspired by it, like the menu and the cut-ins when characters perform their Final Smash). How do you know Joker was a "Nintendo choice?" If there's some interview or statement the rest of us missed then please share with the class so we can all be on the same page.

Next, we do know where Nintendo's priorities lay, at least a little bit. Here's a statement from Nintendo's 2019 Investors Meeting:

So, Nintendo is shooting for a mix of characters meant to appeal to the core fans while also drawing in new ones. We shouldn't be looking solely for characters that appeal to "the casual market" but demographics without large overlap between them and the demographics of Smash Bros. players. From this perspective, let's analyze Heihachi:
  • Heihachi is from the Tekken series, which is a core fighting game. Therefore, he'd primarily be appealing to the fighting game community.
  • The fighting game community has significant overlap with Smash Bros., and already has characters appealing to them through Ryu and Ken. While it could be argued that Heihachi would be a play to draw in those fighting game players disenfranchised with Smash Bros., I would argue this is unlikely as Nintendo is looking to draw in new demographics, "those who had never played it before."
    • More than that, your claim that Heihachi is known by casual gamers is also questionable, given that Tekken is a core fighting game. While FGC events draw in more viewers, those are more for the games themselves than the characters. Casual gamers won't know much about Heihachi other than the series he's from, similar to how you argue that they wouldn't know much about a Tales of character other than where they come from.
Compare this to Lloyd or another Tales of character:
  • Lloyd is from the Tales of series, which I will admit is a more niche series in the West. However, in Japan it has a massive fanbase. It's fanbase in the West isn't to be understated either. The interesting thing about the series' Japanese fanbase is that it has a massive female following. I hate to be the guy who says "Women can't play vidya gaems!" but it's highly likely that those fans of the Tales of series do not play a Nintendo video game seemingly oriented towards young adult males. Even those male and Western players likely wouldn't be playing Smash Bros. given that Tales of hasn't been prominently on a Nintendo console since Tales of Symphonia 2 on the Wii, which was over 11 years ago. The point is, there's a large demographic of people who likely don't play Smash Bros., and could easily be driven into playing it via the inclusion of a Tales of character.
  • But what about the core fanbase? Surely this makes Lloyd a heartless, corporate shill pick!
  • Speaking about Lloyd specifically, he comes from one of, if not the most popular Tales of games in the West, and the release date of his game puts him in a spot to induce nostalgia-driven hype from core Nintendo fans who played the original Tales of Symphonia on Gamecube and who play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate today. He's truly the best of both worlds, making it understandable why Sakurai would say that Lloyd is "the only appropriate choice."
    • Yuri Lowell and Velvet Crowe could make up for this by appealing to core Nintendo fans similar to Joker and how he represents Shin Megami Tensei. Furthermore, they could draw in Western fans of those games via their inclusion. Either way, a Tales of character appeals to both new demographics and the core fanbase.
  • This isn't even mentioning that the Tales of series shares a history with Nintendo similar to that of Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy, starting out on the Super Nintendo and being a prominent release on Nintendo systems whenever one comes around.
You mention that Sakurai could just rip Heihachi from Tekken, but that completely goes against his design philosophy in moveset creation. Time and time again he's shown that he won't simply rip movesets from other fighting games. Snake and Simon come to mind first, seeing as both appeared in the 2003 DreamMix TV World Fighters!, and neither of their movesets were inspired by those games. The process of coming up with a moveset is much more than just ripping from other games.

Just so you know, I'm not saying any of this to **** on you or Heihachi. It's completely okay to want him and I won't stop you from doing so. But if you're going to come at me with flagrantly false facts I'm going to prove them wrong.
I thought it was common knowledge that Nintendo picked the fighters in the fighters pass. Sakurai said that on twitter before the first character was revealed.

And I'm not saying he should just rip from another game, but when Sakurai says that he's impossible to implement in a Smash type game, I feel the need to point him to the Smash type game that did. Sure, he's not going to just rip and copy. But it would behoove him to look at other games that do similar things to his own project to see how they work with characters he finds difficult. There could be things in there that he never would have thought of on his own that make the design process easier.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Calling it now we're gonna be Jokerboards.

There are so many characters from across fiction named Joker to pull from, it's perfect!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's April 1st in East Europe. I guess they take that as the start point these days.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
"You literally made Adolf Hitler get off his **** throne in the midst of the flames of hell, walk into the bathroom, and sob quietly in the corner of a shower. He held a bottle of cheap whiskey in his shaking hand, no longer secure in his position as world's least likable human being."
lol
Tails Gets Trolled is an absolute goldmine for quotes and reaction images

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Uhuh.

Negatory.
For a second I thought that said "SmashBoards Official Tier List" and I thought they'd actually done it.

Now THAT would be a real April Fools Prank. Make it so we're all trash tier and the only person in S tier is the newest user to join the site after 12:00 AM on April 1st, 2019.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Which roster would y'all prefer-- Ultimate's roster or the "Chihuahua roster": https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77071304

For reference, this is a super infamous gamefaqs user who wants Sakurai fired and thinks they'd do a better job.
Are we sure that it’s not that one dude? I can’t remember his name, but he always uses exclamation points. In every daggum sentence he types.

D

Deleted member

For a second I thought that said "SmashBoards Official Tier List" and I thought they'd actually done it.

Now THAT would be a real April Fools Prank. Make it so we're all trash tier and the only person in S tier is the newest user to join the site after 12:00 AM on April 1st, 2019.
That wouldn't be inaccurate though.

D

Deleted member

So what makes Sakurai leaps and bound better than this whiner is that:
1) Sakurai understands actual business practices, which is why third party characters are important
2) Sakurai made it a point to bring back literally everyone from previous Smash games. Meaning theoretically, he strives not to replace anybody but to only add more. The amount of work it would take for this man's dream roster now would be impossible without years of balancing, coding, modeling, stage building, item add-ons, etc. He's pretty much just ranting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom