• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Guys I hate myself Mii Gunner
Hands down the most annoying character in this ****ing game
Ehh, it just takes skill.
I played Mii Gunner a lot during Ultimate's beginning times, and Mii Gunner was fun. They can be outplayed if you just avoid their projectiles.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure we don't agree. It comes down to our approach to LGBTQ representation.

From what I understand of your argument you want the flow of theme exploration to be LGBTQ - > Other themes. The entire game would be an exploration of LGBTQ characters and the aspects that come with that.

What I would do is Other Themes - > LGBTQ.

Have a broader, more general theme, and use that to explore LGBTQ narratives through different party members or social links. Those can be upfront. There are LGBTQ party members, but it's not the entire party. Again, think Persona 4, except if Yosuke was bi (like he was supposed to be), Kanji were gay, and Naoto were trans. I get that with the latter two in OG Persona 4 you could "interpret the gay away" (and indeed the gay was interpreted away in continuations of the story), but I agree with @Prince Alucard that exploring the themes and motifs without being upfront can be effective, and would be effective within a Persona game.
LGBTQ isn't a theme though, in the same way that vampires isn't a theme, or heck, dare I say it, straight people. They could be anything in the story, what matters is the message they convey.

However, I don't agree that LGBT people should solely hide in subtext and innuendo. The only reason for that is solely tradition, because the only reason why that is and why we don't have much media that's openly about LGBT people the same way it is about straight people, dinosaurs, vampires, or whatever is because of censorship in the past. Which is why themes relating to LGBT people had to hide within straight characters in monster movies and such.

D

Deleted member

If Mach Rider gets in as DLC I'll better myself and respect myself.

I chose Mach Rider cause they'll never get in as DLC so Me Respecting myself? Hah funny Joke, that's almost as likely as Geno getting into the fighters pass (He has a shot as Season 2/Misc. DLC not as a Fighter pass character.)

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
no
if elma doesnt get in i will persist on this mortal coil until the heat death of the universe like some kind of unkillable vermin

so yall better hope shes in
nah I’ll hope for the opposite just because you need an enemy
I would honestly pay money for a playable Masahiro Sakurai. I wouldn't care how broken he ends up being, but the plot twist...
Reggie, Miyamoto, Doug Bowser, Bullet Bill, and Iwata aswell...need to have all of them
Automatically beats :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultpiranha::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultlink::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobinf::ultcorrinf::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultfalcon::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultness::ultlucas::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultlittlemac::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultwiifittrainer::ultinkling::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter:
Sakurai doesn’t fight his children due to him giving them all his powers out of love (but does kill the rest with ease)

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm pretty sure we don't agree. It comes down to our approach to LGBTQ representation.

From what I understand of your argument you want the flow of theme exploration to be LGBTQ - > Other themes. The entire game would be an exploration of LGBTQ characters and the aspects that come with that.

What I would do is Other Themes - > LGBTQ.

Have a broader, more general theme, and use that to explore LGBTQ narratives through different party members or social links. Those can be upfront. There are LGBTQ party members, but it's not the entire party. Again, think Persona 4, except if Yosuke was bi (like he was supposed to be), Kanji were gay, and Naoto were trans. I get that with the latter two in OG Persona 4 you could "interpret the gay away" (and indeed the gay was interpreted away in continuations of the story), but I agree with @Prince Alucard that exploring the themes and motifs alone can be, and would be effective within a Persona game.
I’m clearly failing to communicate my stance. I don’t want it to be LGBTQ > other themes, I want it to be LGBTQ = other themes.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Not too related to Smash but related to me getting a new source and also some nice Pokemon information for those interested...:

I'm not sure if it has been sharing here yet, but I got back to my source about the Pokemon information.

Alright. So, a different Nintendo Brand Ambassador than my main source is claiming that the game is going to be revealed within the coming weeks, so definitely soon. By this, I assume it's incredibly likely that pokemon day will have a reveal, but it's not guaranteed. I would also like to say this as clearly as possible: this is not from my main source that knew about the Link's Awakening remake and other direct reveals, this is from a completely different brand ambassador who I only recently met thru my main source. I was told that he has a pretty good track record (right about 75% of the time), so take this with a grain of salt. IMO treat it more as a decently reliable rumor as opposed to full-on leak. I WILL tell you if my main source here's anything guaranteed about the game or its revealed, although he may not.

Link to my tweet:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If Neku gets into Smash I will uhhhh

Wear the most ridiculous clothing I have for a day??? Idk

D

Deleted member

Not too related to Smash but related to me getting a new source and also some nice Pokemon information for those interested...:

I'm not sure if it has been sharing here yet, but I got back to my source about the Pokemon information.

Alright. So, a different Nintendo Brand Ambassador than my main source is claiming that the game is going to be revealed within the coming weeks, so definitely soon. By this, I assume it's incredibly likely that pokemon day will have a reveal, but it's not guaranteed. I would also like to say this as clearly as possible: this is not from my main source that knew about the Link's Awakening remake and other direct reveals, this is from a completely different brand ambassador who I only recently met thru my main source. I was told that he has a pretty good track record (right about 75% of the time), so take this with a grain of salt. IMO treat it more as a decently reliable rumor as opposed to full-on leak. I WILL tell you if my main source here's anything guaranteed about the game or its revealed, although he may not.

Link to my tweet:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Noipoi Noipoi News on a Possible Gen 8 reveal on Pokemon Day

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There is so much media with heterosexual people in mind as the main demographic in mind, I don't see the big deal if a piece of media has LGBT people in mind. Nevermind that there are pieces of media that are just entirely about the oppression of a certain people and for good reason.

Granted it's almost never video games that portray such issues directly, also for a reason, since they're still seen as mostly just entertainment, mindless entertainment even. Whenever something deep is in a game it's almost always subtext.

And speaking of that message, I don't think most LGBT people simply want them to be portrayed as just "oppressed". In fact from my experience a lot of people understand that LGBT people are oppressed, but they don't really understand why. Especially when they disregard a lot of stuff as completely harmless. There's definitely things that non-lgbt people can relate to when it comes to these instances of oppression. Hence why LGBT issues are often shown through lots of subtext in media rather than upfront. Though I don't think LGBT matters should be shunned for being shown upfront like they often are. The reason why they're even mostly subtext in the first place stems from censorship.

Zoo Tycoon should work like Duck Hunt. With the zookeeper and all kinds of animals. LMAO
I agree with you. I mostly just think the characters should be fleshed out, rather than made “the gay guy”. At least, that was my point.

If heterosexual people get characters that aren’t just defined by being straight, then gay characters shouldn’t always have the anchor of “i’m gay”.

Anything that makes for more exposure for those oppressed, i’m game! Especially in an engaging genre like gaming!

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
*Laughs in 2.0.0 patch*
Still in Elite with him and still pretty dangerous :v

Although I consider Zelda my best character, LOL

In all seriousness though, I fear he's getting nothing but nerfs from here on out, even though there are characters with a million options in offense and defense that far surpass his zoning game :L
PsySmasher PsySmasher is so good.

OH BE QUIET YOU...
tumblr_ohhhysGzTE1t07ys9o1_400.gif

D

Deleted member

My worst matchup used to be :ultlittlemac:, but then I played through his constant smash attacks and jabs and he became easier to handle.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
day 18 back from work now playing minecraft again:

WHERE THE **** AM I AAAAAAA

highkey considering starting a new server but on hardcore mode to test my gamer skills and also because these villagers suck with trades

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The only thing problematic about Mega Man is his infuriating down-b. Tone it down a little but don't totally neuter it and then I think the character would be pretty reasonable.

Thankfully Ultimate seems really conservative about balance changes so far. I doubt any character is going to be nerfed to the ground.

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
If one of the characters I want gets in, I'll buy them. That's it. End of story. Ba-bye.
I've already bought the Fighters Pass so I'm just along for the ride at this point.
I’m clearly failing to communicate my stance. I don’t want it to be LGBTQ > other themes, I want it to be LGBTQ = other themes.
Then we still disagree.

I also believe you may have misunderstood my point. When I used "->" it was to emphasize leading into. You want the theme of LGBTQ to be the large overarching theme by which other themes are explored, whereas I would want a larger theme from which LGBTQ representation could be explored.

I'm gonna quote Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones since he makes my point better for me.
I agree with you. I mostly just think the characters should be fleshed out, rather than made “the gay guy”. At least, that was my point.

If heterosexual people get characters that aren’t just defined by being straight, then gay characters shouldn’t always have the anchor of “i’m gay”.

Anything that makes for more exposure for those oppressed, i’m game! Especially in an engaging genre like gaming!
That's what I want, and that's why I'd start with a larger theme and then go into LGBTQ representation. I believe it'd be the best way to go about it in a practical, character design sense. If you start designing a character with the sentiment "this character is going to be gay" then you've already lost. LGBTQ people are people too, and they shouldn't be defined by a label; by beginning to design a character or a game with a label already in mind then you've already lost.

Consider it this way. I want to remake Ghostbusters. I have two methods.

I can either make "Ghostbusters but with girls," or, "Ghostbusters, but explores themes of patriarchy and feminism (and from that has girls)."

The reason I would go for the latter over the former is because it allows for a deeper dive into the themes explored and makes characters well fleshed out and not tokens meant to pander to a demographic. Furthermore, the latter is likely going to be better critically received, and has less room for error in applications of character and story design. If you begin with a wider theme and let that naturally lead into another with well fleshed out characters tied into that wider theme, it makes for better representation.

D

Deleted member

The only thing problematic about Mega Man is his infuriating down-b. Tone it down a little but don't totally neuter it and then I think the character would be pretty reasonable.

Thankfully Ultimate seems really conservative about balance changes so far. I doubt any character is going to be nerfed to the ground.
Campy Mega Mans are probably a heavy's worst nightmare.
I fought a Mega Man as Incineroar once, and it was brutal.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I've already bought the Fighters Pass so I'm just along for the ride at this point.

Then we still disagree.

I also believe you may have misunderstood my point. When I used "->" it was to emphasize leading into. You want the theme of LGBTQ to be the large overarching theme by which other themes are explored, whereas I would want a larger theme from which LGBTQ representation could be explored.

I'm gonna quote Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones since he makes my point better for me.

That's what I want, and that's why I'd start with a larger theme and then go into LGBTQ representation. I believe it'd be the best way to go about it in a practical, character design sense. If you start designing a character with the sentiment "this character is going to be gay" then you've already lost. LGBTQ people are people too, and they shouldn't be defined by a label; by beginning to design a character or a game with a label already in mind then you've already lost.

Consider it this way. I want to remake Ghostbusters. I have two methods.

I can either make "Ghostbusters but with girls," or, "Ghostbusters, but explores themes of patriarchy and feminism (and from that has girls)."

The reason I would go for the latter over the former is because it allows for a deeper dive into the themes explored and makes characters well fleshed out and not tokens meant to pander to a demographic. Furthermore, the latter is likely going to be better critically received, and has less room for error in applications of character and story design. If you begin with a wider theme and let that naturally lead into another with well fleshed out characters tied into that wider theme, it makes for better representation.
But if you don’t start there, then all the straight people writing the game will never think to do it at all ever.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But if you don’t start there, then all the straight people writing the game will never think to do it at all ever.
Isn't it a bit rude to assume straight people would never ever in their life consider LGBT views in their content ever? :073:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Then how come it hasn’t happened already?
Last time I checked, they aren't LGBT, they're the demonic cis-kind like me.

You can also argue they either aren't knowledgeable enough on the topic to go deep into it, or that they fear retaliation for misrepresentation. An LGBT person knows what an LGBT person does best, but that doesn't mean a straight person could never understand if they had devoted enough time into the research and personal connections.

You say that but but we’re still underrepresented in media.
dude do you not know what cartoon network's most money-making show is rn

have you not seen j.k. rowling

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Guys I hate myself Mii Gunner
Hands down the most annoying character in this ****ing game
For me, the most annoying character in the game is still Cloud.

I'm sorry, but a Cloud player who camps and relies almost entirely on filling the Limit Gauge is not a good player. It's even more infuriating when the person using him feels the need to taunt multiple times when they take away a stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom