• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
to be fair, they said on uniqueness alone.
Ok. People who know about Fire Emblem. If you had to pick 4 characters to add to the rider based solely on uniqueness, who would you choose. The only one I know is Medeus.
Hence my pick of Jedah. He's never happening, but would be really unique

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well then Gannondorf/Ridley this mofo and make him an earthbender. That would be so coool. Like Tremor from Mortal Kombat.

You’ve yet to make Black Knight sound cool or unique. For heavens sake, people thought he would work as an Ike echo.
Wait what do you mean about Ridley? I assume you mean size but considering the topic and Ganondorf inclusion it's based on moves, everything Ridley does in Smash is something he could always do. Except his up b because he can outright fly I suppose.

He's a slow, SLOW character who doesn't actually run but just slowly approaches you, he has a huuuuuuuge sword and magical armour that makes him near invulnerable, this means he can EASILY translate to a Juggernaut character, give him armour on a lot of his moves, which helps replicate the feeling PoR players had when he just randomly popped up out of a house, approaching you, and there's next to nothing you can do against him. You can't run either, he has a strong ass shockwave for long range attacks, his attacks would be rather slow, but INCREDIBLY beefy. He can also teleport so perhaps he could have a special move that gives him more mobility than simply walking with it

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I’m torn between Oboro and Nephenee as a spear/Naginata wielder.
Nino could work as a pure mage as well.
And...I can’t really think of anything Arthur has over Hector right now.
Arthur's advantage is being mother****ing Arthur.

Incredible character overall.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Wait what do you mean about Ridley? I assume you mean size but considering the topic and Ganondorf inclusion it's based on moves, everything Ridley does in Smash is something he could always do. Except his up b because he can outright fly I suppose.

He's a slow, SLOW character who doesn't actually run but just slowly approaches you, he has a huuuuuuuge sword and magical armour that makes him near invulnerable, this means he can EASILY translate to a Juggernaut character, give him armour on a lot of his moves, which helps replicate the feeling PoR players had when he just randomly popped up out of a house, approaching you, and there's next to nothing you can do against him. You can't run either, he has a strong *** shockwave for long range attacks, his attacks would be rather slow, but INCREDIBLY beefy. He can also teleport so perhaps he could have a special move that gives him more mobility than simply walking with it
I’m moreso talking about how, despite them being things he actually dose, they aren’t specific “moves” from Metroid. Probably not the best example.

I admit. That’s an interesting design for Black Knight. How about we make the teleport his dash?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

KMDP

Smash Legend
I know nothing about first game, but thematically speaking, darkness and earth aren't so far from each other? Just a guess.
Well... "Gravity" is typically assigned as a Dark Elemental trait.

And the Earth is the biggest source of gravity to us.

That's a minor connection.

He's a slow, SLOW character who doesn't actually run but just slowly approaches you, he has a huuuuuuuge sword and magical armour that makes him near invulnerable, this means he can EASILY translate to a Juggernaut character, give him armour on a lot of his moves, which helps replicate the feeling PoR players had when he just randomly popped up out of a house, approaching you, and there's next to nothing you can do against him. You can't run either, he has a strong *** shockwave for long range attacks, his attacks would be rather slow, but INCREDIBLY beefy. He can also teleport so perhaps he could have a special move that gives him more mobility than simply walking with it
Classic Mode's Bonus Game would be hell with Black Knight.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Because it isn't with :ultincineroar:
Even more hellacious than that.

Speaking of Classic Mode, I was having a really good run as Sheik yesterday, until I got to the Bonus Game.

Sheik kept sticking to the walls. When I got to the final section before the cannon, this got her killed.
I'm creating the Alpha Predator to defeat the Sonichu menace.
The (pseudo-)Legendary Blachomp?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
He breathes fire and has dark magic. That's pretty much it.

It's like you read skimmed a wiki article but skipped the relevant parts.

As for the Swordfighter bit... Fine. Go for Gharnef. He's probably the next most notable villain. He's a pure dark Mage, which we don't have yet.
Actually, Earth Dragons breathe 'Gaia Breath' according to the visual files in the DS games, not fire.

Additionally, in the original Mystery of the Emblem, Earth Dragons are shown to be able to burrow through the Earth, so they probably do have some level of mastery over the element.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I’m moreso talking about how, despite them being things he actually dose, they aren’t specific “moves” from Metroid. Probably not the best example.

I admit. That’s an interesting design for Black Knight. How about we make the teleport his dash?
I can see your point as Ridley doesn't really kick or beat with his wings often, usually it's tail, claws or bites

Nah, his dash is just really slow and looks like he's still walking, the idea I had was that Up B would be a typical teleport albeit shorter ranger for the sake of balancing the heavy **** but down b would have him stab his sword into the ground and let you move a summon circle which can close the gap significantly. I'm admittedly making this next part up, but another idea I have with it is that you can leave the summon circle somewhere and it hurts enemies if they get near it, which helps give less options for people to run away from Black Knight, so that a good Black Knight on a stage that helps him a lot would be able to force you to approach him, which is something you'd rather not

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Seriously I wanna talk about Hardin for a second.

This man was probably one of the purest Heroes in the Fire Emblem pantheon. He liberated slaves and built a foundation for a nation with everlasting peace. He cared for his people, his country, his friends, his family, and all that good stuff. But the dude was depressed for all the things he did right, he couldn't do his marriage right. And it wasn't even his fault. He loved his wife Nyna with all his heart but she didn't love him back. She was in love with someone else. His depression ruled over him.

So what did Gharnef that mother ****** do? He corrupted him into an iron-fisted Tyrant and had him send Marth away right before his marriage so that he could take over Altea.

Hardin was one of the most pure hearted individuals who was stricken by depression because of his unrequited love and was corrupted into a tyrant.

"Prince Marth. I feel as though I've finally awoken from a long, long nightmare. Marth. Forgive me. I tried to fight the demon inside me. But I wasn't strong enough. I fought so hard, but I just couldn't beat it. I wanted to die by your hand and now I'm finally saved. Marth, please, Nyna. Save Nyna. Please tell her, tell her for me. Till the very end I loved her always. Tell her to please forgive me."

Seriously, finishing New Mystery of the Emblem hit me hard with that line.

KMDP

Smash Legend

This man was probably one of the purest Heroes in the Fire Emblem pantheon. He liberated slaves and built a foundation for a nation with everlasting peace. He cared for his people, his country, his friends, his family, and all that good stuff. But the dude was depressed for all the things he did right, he couldn't do his marriage right. And it wasn't even his fault. He loved his wife Nyna with all his heart but she didn't love him back. She was in love with someone else. His depression ruled over him.

So what did Gharnef that mother ****** do? He corrupted him into an iron-fisted Tyrant and had him send Marth away right before his marriage so that he could take over Altea.

Hardin was one of the most pure hearted individuals who was stricken by depression because of his unrequited love and was corrupted into a tyrant.

"Prince Marth. I feel as though I've finally awoken from a long, long nightmare. Marth. Forgive me. I tried to fight the demon inside me. But I wasn't strong enough. I fought so hard, but I just couldn't beat it. I wanted to die by your hand and now I'm finally saved. Marth, please, Nyna. Save Nyna. Please tell her, tell her for me. Till the very end I loved her always. Tell her to please forgive me."

And people say there are no good Fire Emblem villains.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Hardin is honestly one of my favorite characters in the franchise as a whole. He's a man with modern sensibilities in a medieval world, a man who ushers in dramatic societal changes in an era that wasn't ready for them.

He uses guerrilla warfare. He found slavery abhorrent and abolished it. He was right on the front lines fighting for his people. And then...he didn't get the concept of a purely political marriage. When he found out it was loveless, he was grief-stricken. And in a depressive episode, out of desperation for a cure, turned to an alternative, not realizing it was Gharnef corrupting him with the Darksphere.

And in the end he wasn't remembered for the deeds he did as The Coyote of Aurelis, but for the bloody, continental war he brought about as the Dark Emperor of Archanea.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But really, one could argue that what truly made Hardin turn was the loss of his glorious turban. In truth it was the only thing keeping the Darksphere's influence at bay.

Look at that glorious man and his even more glorious turban.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
And people say there are no good Fire Emblem villains.
Yeah but then the game ends with ****ing Medeus and Gharnef who, again, are ****ing boring as ****.
Hardin isn't a villain.

He's a victim. He wasn't himself when he did the bad things.
Antagonist would be a better word I guess but at least he had a story other than “mean bad guy resurrects other mean bad guy to fight good guys.” I’d take a Victim Hardin over another one of those ****ing things any day of the week. I’m looking at you Validar, you ass hat.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hardin isn't a villain.

He's a victim. He wasn't himself when he did the bad things.
Sorry, I misspoke.

Should have said "Antagonist".

Hardin in FE3 is probably the deepest and most interesting any of the Fire Emblem antagonists have ever been, because he used to be an ally. A fair few FE villains do the whole "used to be friends/allies" thing (Nergal and Lyon, among others), but Hardin's is tangible because the player gets a chance to see him as a good man before his corruption (rather than seeing snippets of their life as a good person like Nergal and Lyon).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah but then the game ends with ****ing Medeus and Gharnef who, again, are ****ing boring as ****.

Antagonist would be a better word I guess but at least he had a story other than “mean bad guy resurrects other mean bad guy to fight good guys.” I’d take a Victim Hardin over another one of those ****ing things any day of the week. I’m looking at you Validar, you *** hat.
Medeus is a weird case where he's actually kind of compelling in the expanded material, but basically none of it makes it into the games themselves.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If we are giving some love to FE villains, might I say that I actually like Gangrel?

A man who saw a disaster coming, and tried to prepare his poor and despised nation the only way he knew how. By military strength. He dislikes the cult that controls much of the nation and tries to fight against it but the cult covertly starts to influence him for the worse. Then, when he goes too far and lets the anger he's held for his nation's suffering gets the better of him, he loses it all.

Only when he becomes a slave does he remember what he was trying to do in the first place. He then becomes a man who dedicates his life to somehow fixing what he's done or die trying.

He isn't one I see a lot of praise for but I like him.

osby

Smash Obsessed
But really, one could argue that what truly made Hardin turn was the loss of his glorious turban. In truth it was the only thing keeping the Darksphere's influence at bay.

Eh, seen better ones, though it's still a pretty good design.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Meanwhile Zephiel.

"My dad was a **** so now I want dragons to enslave us all."
Not just Dragons. Soulless Dragons made for the express purpose of fighting the Humans.

Come to think of it, could the Fire Dragons seen in Fire Emblem 6 (including Jahn) have all been Morphs?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If we are giving some love to FE villains, might I say that I actually like Gangrel?

A man who saw a disaster coming, and tried to prepare his poor and despised nation the only way he knew how. By military strength. He dislikes the cult that controls much of the nation and tries to fight against it but the cult covertly starts to influence him for the worse. Then, when he goes too far and lets the anger he's held for his nation's suffering gets the better of him, he loses it all.

Only when he becomes a slave does he remember what he was trying to do in the first place. He then becomes a man who dedicates his life to somehow fixing what he's done or die trying.

He isn't one I see a lot of praise for but I like him.
I will die on the hill of "Gangrel and Walhart are underrated villains that get unjustly lumped in with Validar when talking about villain quality."

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

But, like, let’s be real. Turban or no Turban the guy is a ****ing bad ass.

Medeus is a weird case where he's actually kind of compelling in the expanded material, but basically none of it makes it into the games themselves.
I hate that for real though. Like, I could read a book named Captain Phasma and like the character because the book makes her a good character. I could. But like, nah, man. I don’t want to read a book to watch a movie to know about a character.

D

Deleted member

Anybody want him for smash?
698E8AE8-93D2-484C-84E5-88A275CBD4F7.png

I’m taking over Victoria’s Secret I’m taking over Best Buy the news is mine and everyone else can leave! YOU SEE THAT PLANET?! IM TAKING IT TOO!!!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Antagonist would be a better word I guess but at least he had a story other than “mean bad guy resurrects other mean bad guy to fight good guys.” I’d take a Victim Hardin over another one of those ****ing things any day of the week. I’m looking at you Validar, you *** hat.
I'm gonna defend Validar for a bit. One really needs to take a deep look to get anything of real interest out of him but there is one thing that I find very interesting.

Validar believes in fate. With all his heart.

In his mind, it doesn't matter if he thinks Grima is a good or bad thing. He's supposed to do something, so he does. He isn't doing what's wrong, he's doing what the world has intended. That's his purpose in life. Anyone who goes against the divine script is a fool and he will refuse to be a fool. This creates a foil to Chrom.

"Anything can change," isn't just a battle cry. It's Chrom defying Validar's philosophy.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I ****ing did it, I combined Blaze the Cat and Garchomp into my own Sonichu abomination.

Why did I do this?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I will die on the hill of "Gangrel and Walhart are underrated villains that get unjustly lumped in with Validar when talking about villain quality."
Eh, I’d say Gangrel more than Walhart. Walhart is just a funny villain.

Chrom: “Why are you invading everything?”

Walhart: “Because y’all a bunch of punk ass *******.”

At least I think that’s how it went. Haven’t played Awakening in a looooong while.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
All this talk about the cool/complex antagonists in the FE series and then Fates just drops Garon the Saturday morning cartoon villain. I haven't played too many of the older FE games but is there a worse villain than Garon?

KMDP

Smash Legend
But, like, let’s be real. Turban or no Turban the guy is a ****ing bad ***.

I hate that for real though. Like, I could read a book named Captain Phasma and like the character because the book makes her a good character. I could. But like, nah, man. I don’t want to read a book to watch a movie to know about a character.
Just like how Star Trek (the Star Trek)'s Nero's incredibly important backstory is relegated to a comic.

I'd say "Why do movie makers thing this is an alright thing to do?" but it's clearly a J.J. Abrams thing (the common element between Star Trek and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom