• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
Do they actually do anything..? Like stun or something? Either way I hear she's still terrible, unfortunately. /:

_Dice

Smash Ace
Do they actually do anything..? Like stun or something? Either way I hear she's still terrible, unfortunately. /:
she has her uses but yeah shes the worst in the game. and arthur is second worst. though some would argue him being one of if not the best anchor in the game would elevate him from second worst.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Arthur is terrible. Yes, he has to rely on level 3 armor, but still. He has some of the best runaway in the game and in x-factor it's even better. Pair that with level 3 armor, and he's a really reliant keepaway character.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I heard in a recent build that Characters in upgraded forms (Gold Armor, Devil Trigger, etc) don't recover health anymore.

I'm thinking this is to allow nerfs to the already broken transforming characters, but also allow them to buff the other characters like Authur and Hsien-ko a ton now that they don't have to worry about the possibility of their assists breaking the game anymore.

Expect a build in the near future to be a very different story for Hsien-ko and Arthur

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i wish i could make an ordinary girl team.

she hulk - 9 ft 700 pound of female manliness
x-23 - wolverine powers
felicia - a freaking cat, and dazzling performer
phoenix - all powerful mutant
chun li - hm, pretty ordinary i guess
tron - space pirate genius with robots
hsien ko - zombie jiangshi ninja with serious boob window
jill - she was ordinary before, but now she's possessed and genetically enhanced
trish - sexy superhuman devil
storm - a black goddess diva, who is also claustrophobic and controls lightning
viper - kayo police
morrigan - sex
amaterasu - a dog

i guess if i wanted an ordinary girl team i can use 3 chuns

Vlade

Social Outcast
I'm thinking about sticking with my Zero/Hsien-Ko/Sent team in Ultimate.

Although, it's probably way better to swap Sentinel out for Doom. Better DHCs along with probably better setups for Hsien-Ko...
I'm actually considering picking up doom to complement zero. Right now I run Zero/Ammy/Wesker and its got really good synergy, but the fact that Ammy can't block during her airdash in Ultimate really turns me off from playing her. Doom's plasma beam is still very good and his sphere flame does so much damage and DHCs well after rekkoha, plus Doom is just getting buffs in general.

PHOENIX WRIGHT HYPE

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Her intended design seems to be Phoenix players relying solely on getting enough bars by the time she's out.
She's not meant to make a comeback by trying to earn 5 meters on point, that's why she had the health nerf.

IMO, I don't think it's poor design since that's a pretty cool/unique way for a character to be good. But that's just me.
I think it's neat how Phoenix teams have to stay on their toes the whole time since once she's snapped in, they're in trouble.

Although I get why Phoenix players aren't pleased.
A similar case is Gill in Street Fighter III. If he had a full super gauge, he could self-resurrect, but you didn't have to rely on it to win. That's what Jean is in Marvel, only Phoenix herself isn't drastically overpowered to the point of needing to be banned from competition. She has drawbacks, pretty severe ones at that. It's one thing to make us work harder for Dark Phoenix, it's another to take away the tools needed to get there.

She was already a huge risk. 420,000 health can be taken away by any character in the game in very short order. Not only did they increase it by several orders of magnitude with the health and mobility nerfs, they also lowered the reward by gutting her offense with the hit-stun decay increase and aerial special imitation. Phoenix is complete and utter garbage now. Not exactly vanilla Hsien-Ko level garbage, but pretty damned bad, even with Dark Phoenix.

i think the L/M tk shot buff is pretty good :D
It's certainly welcome given everything else they've done to her.

but yeah, that seems to be the design intention. serris, you have known for months now that phoenix on point is unusual and slightly counter-intuitive, because everyone seems to disagree with you. you have made it work because phoenix was pretty capable in vanilla mvc3, but her fullest potential was lvl 2/3 dark phoenix which made her win tournaments. capcom nerfed phoenix so as to prevent those kinds of wins, and if they overshot the nerfs, that's not only bad news for phoenix anchors, but even worse for you. i bet they hardly even thought about point phoenix players.
That became very apparent when they reduced her combo options and increased her hit-stun decay. Now she can't even build meter effectively if the worst-case scenario happens and she doesn't have a full hyper gauge.

(kinda unfortunate that they nerfed her like that, when justin and combofiend CLEARLY had the tech to beat phoenix at devastation a month before ultimate comes out.)
This is exactly why I, and several others, are pissed. Viscant can say what he wants, but she did not need a lot of these nerfs. Combofiend and Justin have played Clockw0rk frequently. You can adapt to Phoenix if you play against her often enough.

Here's a question for Capcom: If Phoenix really is that bad, why isn't she dominating the tournament scene?

Simple:
She isn't that overpowered.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Mmm ;~; I actually played as doom when this game first game out. Man I shoulda stuck with him.
For betraying Doom, you will enjoy the last days of our life rotting in the dungeons of Castle Doomstadt.

Really looking forward to paying Firebrand and Hawkeye, waiting on Rocket Raccoon and Nova.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
A similar case is Gill in Street Fighter III. If he had a full super gauge, he could self-resurrect, but you didn't have to rely on it to win. That's what Jean is in Marvel, only Phoenix herself isn't drastically overpowered to the point of needing to be banned from competition. She has drawbacks, pretty severe ones at that. It's one thing to make us work harder for Dark Phoenix, it's another to take away the tools needed to get there.
Her tools needed to get to Dark Phoenix are really her two partners on the team.
Gill is a weird example to bring up. Of course you didn't need resurrection to win because of his other broken stuff, but comparing two characters just because of resurrection and saying Phoenix isn't as overpowered is a little odd in arguing that she didn't need nerfs.
She was already a huge risk. 420,000 health can be taken away by any character in the game in very short order. Not only did they increase it by several orders of magnitude with the health and mobility nerfs, they also lowered the reward by gutting her offense with the hit-stun decay increase and aerial special imitation. Phoenix is complete and utter garbage now. Not exactly vanilla Hsien-Ko level garbage, but pretty damned bad, even with Dark Phoenix.
Less health is meant so she builds even less meter when she finally gets hit. And hit decay doesn't matter as DP.
Yes Phoenix has gotten way worse, but that's only to balance out Dark Phoenix paired with XF.
As for the risk, I don't think so. Sure she can die by one combo, but most Phoenix players get out DP at a decent percent rate. If Phoenix gets snapped in, all the Phoenix needs to do is block the incoming mixup for 2 seconds while holding the Assist button. It's risky for the Phoenix, but the opponent basically does have to sacrifice one meter for that one mixup.

The nerfs are just to move the rate of failing to where they thought it should be.
Here's a question for Capcom: If Phoenix really is that bad, why isn't she dominating the tournament scene?

Simple:
She isn't that overpowered.
Every fighter is different. Not everyone will flock to top tier, especially one that has such a different strategy than one that they're used to.
Plus it's only been 8 months into the game's life. Not everyone aims for top tier right away.

Edit: This post isn't saying I'm right and you're wrong. It's just saying what I think on the nerfs.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Uh, if you hold the assist button before the assist actually becomes available to tag out to, I'm fairly certain that you don't actually hard tag out. I've seen it happen to a lot of phoenix players, so that's just a thought.

Also, blocking incoming mixups for 2 full seconds in a game where mixups are as ridiculous as they are in marvel? Not so easy to do consistently, especially not when they can back off a tiny bit and have a fairly good chance of just blocking the hard tag and snapping phoenix in again.

Not to say that phoenix isn't ridiculously good in marvel... but I agree with serris. There's a *lot* of anti-phoenix technology, shes possible to beat without "Randomness" even if she turns DP, and the nerfs they gave her were probably a bit much. They did that with other characters too though, not just phoenix... they freaking nerfed tron... ON POINT. Come on now capcom.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Uh, if you hold the assist button before the assist actually becomes available to tag out to, I'm fairly certain that you don't actually hard tag out. I've seen it happen to a lot of phoenix players, so that's just a thought.
It's been months since I've played it so I could be wrong on that.
Also, blocking incoming mixups for 2 full seconds in a game where mixups are as ridiculous as they are in marvel? Not so easy to do consistently, especially not when they can back off a tiny bit and have a fairly good chance of just blocking the hard tag and snapping phoenix in again.
Yeah, that's definitely true. I think a lot of things factor into it though like how much better they have though. You basically get a limited amount of tries since you'll be burning meter faster that you gain, while they gain while you build.

I didn't intend to say that Phoenix wasn't at risk at all, but more like both sides are at risk.
They did that with other characters too though, not just phoenix... they freaking nerfed tron... ON POINT. Come on now capcom.
Tron definitely didn't need the nerf on point, that's for sure.

Also, I'm not complaining about Phoenix. That was never my point at all.
It's more about Phoenix players not realizing how good DP still is which is her core game.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
They Nerfed Wesker. I mean, the health nerf was a bit much. Just nerf is Samurai Edge Speed in general and give him slower Teleports. Make his S -4 on block instead of -1.

cutter

Smash Champion
Here's my beef with Phoenix: as a character design, she is feast or famine. Either you blow her out, or she runs through your team effortless. There is literally no middle ground whatsoever when it comes to her. Personally, I don't like designs that cause that sort of friction, even if it's to open up a new dynamic for the game. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of that dynamic to begin wtih. I can't remember the last time a character in a fighting game has been more universally hated than Phoenix.

People are also forgetting another nerf for Phoenix -- reduced meter building. I asked Jintor to test how much meter Wesker's st.S would build in UMvC3 and he said it took 13 st.S to build a full meter. In Vanilla, Wesker's st.S builds exactly one meter when done 10 times since it hits for 100,000 damage and the "health" of the meter is 1 million exactly.

It's good that Capcom is toning down the meter building. Having throws start with severe damage scaling didn't solve the problem of throws still being lethal because meter building never, ever scales.

Oh, and I'm finally ready for Rocket Raccoon!

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure what you mean by "No middle ground with her." It's not like she's a bad character when she's not Dark.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
well, if we think about this way...

it doesn't look like one single character will be drastically overwhelming compared to the rest. even at the end of mvc3's life, the diversity was many times more than mvc2. hopefully we'll see this trend continue (lol i wonder how long umvc3 will remain unchanged though. in the next 2 years? i think we'll see several by then.)

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
1 phoenix
2 meta knight
3 Street Fighter AE is terrible

Also i still really wish they'd just like, drop the dark phoenix bull**** and make Pheonix a real character. 800k HP, maybe limit the air fireball shenanigans a bit and bam, great character.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Ban hammer. <3

☯ Finally, the trailer I've been waiting for... the trailer that convince me to get UMVC3. =P

Top Bottom