• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I never understood this mentality
I only give them somewhat of a care if it's something I already intended on doing or it's a single player game. Otherwise, I have my own goals in mind when it comes to multiplayer games.

On another topic, to all of you, what is your favorite themes?

Mine:
Amarterasu - Straight up Japanese techno dope.
X-23 - Fell in love with this the moment I heard it.
Wolverine - AH! After ten thousand years I'm free!
Chun-Li - Not as "flowery" as her SFIV arrangement, but it does the piece justice and is likable in its own way.
Trish - You're about to get *****.

kr3wman

Smash Master
As I said, Super-Skrull's theme.

It starts out 'evulish' but after the opening it explodes into this space-adventure-like theme. out of all the original themes it's probably the best.

returning theme, erh, I don't know. I like Cap's, IM/Hulk's, Chun's and Ryu's.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If anyone's interested, here's the top 55 characters requested by Japan.

1. X (Megaman X)
2. Date Masamune (Sengoku Basara)
3. Vergil (Devil May Cry)
4. Megaman.EXE (MegaMan Battle Network)
5. Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 4)
6. Pheonix Wright (Ace Attorney)
7. Ken Masters (Street Fighter)
8. Cammy (Street Fighter 2)
9. Tabasa (aka Tessa, Warzard aka Red Earth)
10. Guy (Final Fight)
11. Cody (Final Fight)
12. Sanada Yukimura (Sengoku Basara)
13. Kasuga (Sengoku Basara)
14. Bass.EXE (MegaMan Battle Network)
15. Maeda Keiji (Sengoku Basara)
16. Gene (God Hand)
17. Batsu (Project Justice)
18. Akira (Project Justice)
19. Jedah (Vampire Savior)
20. Jin Saotome (Cyberbots Full Metal Madness)
21. Saki (Quiz Nanairo Dreams, TvC)
22. Kaijin no Soki (Onimusha Dawn of Dreams)
23. Leviathan (Megaman Zero)
24. Kirin (Monster Hunter, A Unicorn Monster)
25. Grey (Megaman ZX Advent)
26. Roll (Megaman)
27. Rock Volnutt (Megaman Legends)
28. Harp Note (Megaman Star Force)
29. Alex (Street Fighter 3)
30. Ingrid (Capcom Fighting Jam/Evolution)
31. Captain Commando (Captain Commando)
32. Chuck Green (Dead Rising 2)
33. Edward (Falcon? Fokker? Power Stone)
34. Oda Nobunaga (Sengoku Basara)
35. Ryu (Breath of Fire)
36. Demitri (Darkstalkers)
37. Gallon (aka Jon Talbain, Darkstalkers)
38. Red Arremer (Ghouls n' Ghosts)
39. Zack (Treasure Island Z: Barbaros' Treasure)
40. Sonson (Sonson, MvC2)
41. Regina (Dino Crisis)
42. Sheva Alomar (Resident Evil 5)
43. Nash (aka Charlie, Street Fighter Alpha)
44. Vanessa (P.N.0.3.)
45. PTX-40 (Lost Planet)
46. Leo (Warzard/Red Earth)
47. Dhalsim (Street Fighter 2)
48. Unknown Soldier 1P (Lost World)
49. Sigma (Megaman X)
50. Yagyu Jubei (Onimusha)
51. William Gray (Dark Void)
52. Hayato Kanzaki (Star Gladiator)
53. Maximo (Maximo)
54. Michelle Heart (Ares no Tsubasa/Legendary Wings)
55. Lou (Three Wonders)

Noticed that Chuck Green's in there but no Frank West? But he's covered wars!

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
^ Lack of ANY Marvel characters is extremely disappointing, and specifically Drax the Destroyer.

Lack of Jun the Swan is also =/.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
^ Lack of ANY Marvel characters is extremely disappointing, and specifically Drax the Destroyer.

Lack of Jun the Swan is also =/.
Besides what Green Kirby said, it was a poll on which top 55 Capcom characters they wanted, not Marvel.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Besides what Green Kirby said, it was a poll on which top 55 Capcom characters they wanted, not Marvel.
I thought the lack of Marvel characters was just a cultural difference, but this makes more sense.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
He doesn't say in the post that it's top 55 Capcom so what am I supposed to do, assume? I mean I suppose yes when you don't see any Marvel characters but otherwise idfk.

And yeah I just realized the whole thing with Jun the Swan, I had gotten some stuff mixed up but I won't bother to explain how xD.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
My reaction to no Strider Hiryu: dang. Well, at least Storm is likely.

Not surprising tho. At least everyone will shut up about that Tokirisan guy now.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
He doesn't say in the post that it's top 55 Capcom so what am I supposed to do, assume? I mean I suppose yes when you don't see any Marvel characters but otherwise idfk.
Chill. I didn't call you out. I just thought you and others should know since Mic_128 didn't mention it.
Edit: But yeah, sorry. Should've been clear.
My reaction to no Strider Hiryu: dang. Well, at least Storm is likely.

Not surprising tho. At least everyone will shut up about that Tokirisan guy now.
Same. But yeah, it's real sad that Strider won't be returning. I really wanted him back.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
WHAT, STRIDER'S NOT IN?

BULL****. :mad:

we took [Strider] out of Marvel vs. Capcom 3, because he didn't fit in with its concept.
BULL****. HOW DOES HE NOT FIT THE CONCEPT? YOU JUST TOOK HIM OUT BECAUSE HE HAD TOO MANY OVERLAPPING MOVES FOR YOU TO USE ON YOUR TVC CONTROLS, DIDN'T YOU?

COME ON CAPCOM, YOU GOTTA RELEASE STRIDER AND ALL THE GOOD TRAP CHARACTERS IN MVC3.

TEN MORE BEERS YEARS!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Is there a full char list yet? :3

Edit: Strider looks like the closest thing to a jrpg animeish character I've seen yet. **sad Face**

+rep if they had a Monster Hunter on there <_< Gah, Capcom could do so many things.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
New Fight Club is happening at LA. http://shoryuken.com/content/marvel-vs-capcom-3-la-fight-club-december-11th-twist-2609/

I'll probably go to it unless something comes up.

I never really understood the Strider appeal honestly...someone care to explain their thinking?
Cool ninja with a sword. And his games were fun.

As for a playable character, he had a ton of moves, can be played as a trap/rushdown character.
He was fun since he wasn't just a straight forward BnB character and his teams would most likely crumble without him since teams usually base everything on Strider.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Get a load of this --> def not a competitive marvel player.

Go watch how Strider ***** in BOTH mvcs. Hes easily the best character and most fitting for the marvel playstyle moveset wise and character wise hes a cool *** ninja.

Get A Load of This!

Smash Journeyman
sweetheart
You can go ahead and never call me that again.

Get a load of this --> def not a competitive marvel player.
I don't think it has anything to do with competitive value because I don't know too many people asking for Sentinel or Psylocke. Let's not try to call people out on what kind of gamer they are for asking about characterization.

I think I just forgot people think ninjas are cool.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Never played this seriously, or much at all.. (the series), but if a char is very op, I'd want him gone >.>

He does look cool, though.

Atlus8

Smash Master
I don't follow the whole ninja fad, but looking at Clockw0rk play is really something! No one comes close to really taking advantage of the Strider with Doom assist! He pretty much put them on the map!

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I don't think it has anything to do with competitive value because I don't know too many people asking for Sentinel or Psylocke.
AHEM.

Nobody cares about Psylocke because she was only used for her AA assist. As long as there's another character with a high priority DP as an assist, Psylocke won't be needed.

People love Sentinel though.

TEN MORE BEERS YEARS BEERS.

Never played this seriously, or much at all.. (the series)
Just so you know, this invalidates the rest of your post.

You are not allowed to have an opinion on something you know nothing about. Period.

For ****'s sake, at least look at a tier list before you call someone overpowered for no reason.
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/jul/15/marvel-vs-capcom-2-tiers-character-rankings/

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well my bad, I was just basing it off how people here were talking of him. I guess this is dumb to ask, but how bad were the tiers in mvc2. Like did Spiderman work well at all despite being 51? >.>

Get A Load of This!

Smash Journeyman
I just want to point out that I'm a Sentinel lover, too. He was my first real fighting game character.

...But I don't think a lot of people want him. I've seen some straight up hate because he's pretty much a generic enemy.

also, marth mainer wanting op characters gone strikes me as funny for one reason or another

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Says the guy with a Semtinel avatar. :|
Yeah, what's your point?

Well my bad, I was just basing it off how people here were talking of him. I guess this is dumb to ask, but how bad were the tiers in mvc2. Like did Spiderman work well at all despite being 51? >.>
Spiderman was good in low-tier tourneys. I think Spiderman/Morrigan/Tron was a really good team, but mostly because of Tron's assist. Spiderman worked well with Ruby Heart too on trap teams. Those teams would fold to MSP or Santhrax though.

Marvel is slightly less balanced than Melee. You have your best characters (Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, Jiggs in Melee; Sentinel, Storm, Magneto, Cable in MvC2), characters that are really good but have to work harder to win than the ones at the top (Peach, Falcon in Melee - Cyclops, Iron Man, War Machine, Dr. Doom, Strider, Blackheart), and characters that are good but only with the right support or in certain situations (ICs, Ganon, Doc, Samus in Melee - Spiral, Psylocke, CapCom, Tron in MvC2). Everyone else has varying degrees of usefulness, with the lowest being the joke characters (Pichu in Melee - Servbot, Dan, Roll in MvC2).

With any large fighting game, you're going to have balance issues the bigger the game gets. This is seen even in games that aren't balanced competitively like Smash - look at how much more balanced Melee is compared to Brawl. MvC2 had 56 characters, a ton of characters for a fighting game, so naturally the gap between high tiers and low tiers is a lot bigger than, say, Super Turbo which had 16 characters.

I just want to point out that I'm a Sentinel lover, too. He was my first real fighting game character.

...But I don't think a lot of people want him. I've seen some straight up hate because he's pretty much a generic enemy.
Sentinel? Generic? How?

Get A Load of This!

Smash Journeyman
I'm talking Brawl Marth who doesn't have any real disadvantages except I think Dedede and Meta Knight. But then again of course Brawl isn't a competitive game lol sorry for the brawlapse.

okay so strider being deconfirmed ruined that tokirisan's credibility entirely. not that he had any to begin with.

Sentinel? Generic? How?
Think of it this way. If you saw Captain America fighting another Captain America, that wouldn't make much sense. Two Sentinels, however, could potentially go at it because there's more than one. It's not a true fleshed out character, just a name for a whole ton of mutant-killing drones.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Not to meat-ride you or anything, Gates, but that was a really good (albeit short) post on character balance in MvC2.

Think of it this way. If you saw Captain America fighting another Captain America, that wouldn't make much sense. Two Sentinels, however, could potentially go at it because there's more than one. It's not a true fleshed out character, just a name for a whole ton of mutant-killing drones.

Wow.

You are totally leaving out a ****-ton, and I mean a ****-ton, of X-Men lore.

Sentinels are not just Sentinels, bro.

Smooth Criminal

Get A Load of This!

Smash Journeyman
...I really don't have any words for that, I'm gonna have to walk away from the keyboard for a minute then I'll come back and say something.

Right then, much better. What specific Sentinel IS the Children of the Atom Sentinel, then? I'm having a hard time picking this one out. I'm fairly convinced it's just a mass produced one.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Right then, much better. What specific Sentinel IS the Children of the Atom Sentinel, then? I'm having a hard time picking this one out. I'm fairly convinced it's just a mass produced one.
I could nitpick and call out what model it is, but I won't.

XD I dunno, man. I didn't mean for that post to sound so venomous. I just think Sentinels are iconic enough to be repped in a game like this. I would even go out on a limb and say they should use one of the more recent Sentinel types (i.e. Prime Sentinels and the like).

(AKA I apologize.)

Smooth Criminal

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm talking Brawl Marth who doesn't have any real disadvantages except I think Dedede and Meta Knight. But then again of course Brawl isn't a competitive game lol sorry for the brawlapse.
I think Brawl Marth has problems with Snake too.

And really, anyone with a good Final Smash can do well against Marth (because if you're playing Brawl you might as well do a 4 player free-for-all with items).

I get what you're saying but...

You are totally leaving out a ****-ton, and I mean a ****-ton, of X-Men lore.

Sentinels are not just Sentinels, bro.
Not to meat-ride you or anything, Gates, but that was a really good (albeit short) post on character balance in MvC2.
Thanks. It's really simplified though. Team synergy is huge in MvC2 and it affects a lot of things.

cutter

Smash Champion
While I can see parallels in the character balance in MvC2 and Melee, MvC2 is by far a much more imbalanced game than Melee overall simply because MvC2 is a much less forgiving game in terms of gameplay. Simple mistakes such as whiffing a jab or low short can easily result in a dead character and possibly 2 or even 3 characters due to guard breaks. Melee's punishment avenues can't even begin to compare to that kind of magnitude.

But that's what makes the Vs. series so much fun. It's high stakes poker for fighting games.

Top Bottom