• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
i can't see Mags being a zoning character for long. His zoning is very 1-dimensional.

Lei-Lei's ammored pendilum assist is ********. Best assist. You can't stop her from covering THE ENTIRE SCREEN.
Magnetic Disruptor is a lot better than you probably think. Faster and has more knockback. You can literally sit there and throw it out a bunch while calling some assist like Sentinel or a armored Arthur's spears.

Actually now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Arthur/Magneto just pair well together completely.

And Ammy's cold star...I don't think it's an overhead but I'm not 100% on it. Pretty sure it isn't. It MIGHT otg, I didn't get to see if it does but I know it does sort of like...hold your opponent's place, it doesn't have a whole lot of knockback which is nice for heavy rushdown characters since you can keep your hits on the ground going before you start to air combo.

The chip on it is also good enough that it's worth it. And yes Twists, Hsien-Ko's assist is probably top 5 in the game, it's soooo good. Not to mention she's a damn near 100% counter to Arthur lmao.

Hulk's gamma charge AA assist is one of the best AA's in the game. HUGE hitbox.

EDIT: Nvm etwists answered on the cold star otg lol

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I was saying he's 1 demintional because he can only zone with the disruptor. Think Iceman in MvC2. His zoning USED to be considered good but it's *** now that people know how to get passed it.

Arthur, Modok, and Dorm have a million zoning tools each.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
I was saying he's 1 demintional because he can only zone with the disruptor. Think Iceman in MvC2. His zoning USED to be considered good but it's *** now that people know how to get passed it.

Arthur, Modok, and Dorm have a million zoning tools each.
I know it's one dimensional but it really is THAT much better in this game.

I didn't say Dorm,Modok and Arthur don't have better tools but Magneto's zoning game is better. This doesn't come from me, this comes from a guy playing Magneto at our local place and he was playing him for like 12+ hours that day. It's not that his rushdown is bad but his moves in general have better use. I believe that little air slice which name I don't recall is pretty good now.

Dormmamu is imo the best zoning character out there.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Nah, I'm not saying Mags DOESN'T have a good zoning game, I just think it's not going to be good forever. But who knows. Disrupter over and over is kinda annoying. I'm glad it's an even better assist. It'll help Wesker out.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Nah, I'm not saying Mags DOESN'T have a good zoning game, I just think it's not going to be good forever. But who knows. Disrupter over and over is kinda annoying. I'm glad it's an even better assist. It'll help Wesker out.
If I can find you the Team Chaos stream, they were doing 100% combos with Wesker and Doom. Cool stuff.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Just saw that video with Dark Phoenix in level 3 X Factor. That was pretty awesome.
You would think X-Factor with Dark Phoenix would be pretty un-neccesary since you already do so much dmg but it's nice for not getting chipped and recovering/maintaining health is nice as well.

So so so so soooo much damage off just a single hit of X-Factor DPhoenix

Savon

Smash Ace
He plans on using everybody BUT Thor.

I know about the versus series competitively. What are the key traits to being a successful MvC player?
I might get this game next week when i get the money.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Find good team synergy. Yeah you can play your favorite characters but things also have to run well together. For example a guy around here locally was running Taskmaster/Magneto/Hulk, this may not seem that good at first glance but his main character he uses is Taskmaster to do ridiculous damage.

1. Magneto's disruptor assist helps Taskmaster get in since he's kind of slow
2. Hulk's AA assist helps keep people out because Taskmaster can also just sit back and shoot arrows if he wants to(and he can shoot them in different directions)
3. Magneto also helps Hulk get in along with his Gamma Rush since he is also relatively slow.
4. He uses Taskmaster's vertical shot assist that rains down on where the opponent is at, since Magneto's zoning game has improved, this is nice for locking down your opponents.
5. Once again Hulk's assist is great for keeping people off of you as Magneto if you want to sit back and zone.

Simple things such as that really. It just depends on how you want to make your team. If you're going to be zoning based, use assists that help keep people off you or that add extra chip as well. Doom's Molecular Shield assist will go great with almost any zoning team. Amaterasu's Cold Star assist is terrific for keeping the pressure on if you're playing an aggressively based team. It's all just dependent on what you're aiming/wanting to do.

Gates

Banned via Warnings

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Oops, guess I should've posted the link, but Savon's got it covered.
I wonder how well her health regenerates with her healing super as Dark Phoenix but not in X Factor.

There's trolling and then there's this.
LOL

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
My planned team ATM is Deadpool Dante and probably Wesker. I had wanted Zero to fill that spot, but Wesker looks like a faster Ganondorf to me. Fitting to my playstyle.

Plus, he has purple fire. <3
Good ole Wesker. He is definitely going to be my main. I might main females since I like using female fighters more. X23, Viper, Morrigan, Trish, and Chun Li I will have to experiment with.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
X-23 is extremely fast and rushdown. Her command grab does halfway across the screen and can be followed up into air combo -> super for lots of dmg. Doesn't have an air dash but you don't really need one when you're probably the fastest character in the game until Jill gets released.

Also guys, TeamKhaos stream. Buktooth is extremely good. http://www.justin.tv/teamkhaos/b/279449880

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
X-23 is extremely fast and rushdown. Her command grab does halfway across the screen and can be followed up into air combo -> super for lots of dmg. Doesn't have an air dash but you don't really need one when you're probably the fastest character in the game until Jill gets released.

Also guys, TeamKhaos stream. Buktooth is extremely good. http://www.justin.tv/teamkhaos/b/279449880
That's interesting to know. I would expect people to say she is a close of Wolverine but heck. She seems neat and I wanna see how she roles.

Atlus8

Smash Master
The release date! This was quite a surprise since it's only three months away! Seriously, we're gonna be playing the game much sooner than we think!
We are getting close . . .
Hey, well look at that!
Time sure flies by doesn't it?!

Well, is everyone here gonna go to a midnight release?! I leave near two GameStops, but I won't be picking it up at midnight since I got work the following morning! Fortunately, I get Wednesdays off so I'll be playing right away after I get off from work on Tuesday!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Meh, I can't go. Girlfriend and what not, buttttt I'm going Tuesday morning to get my pre-ordered :D

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Also for those of you who couldn't tell by what I said.

I've heard from a few locals around here that Jill is supposed to be the fastest character in the game and NOTHING like her Marvel 2 self. Honestly if she's the fastest in the game, and with how fast I've already seen X-23 is....Jill is going to be RIDICULOUS.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm going to the midnight release. :D I plan on winning the tourney that they're having, too.

(Hopefully.)

So, I've been playing this early bird copy of MvC3 for quite a bit now (my copy, the SE, is what I'm picking up at the release). Think I found a pretty solid team in Dante/Super Skrull/Deadpool. I know it's pretty crazy to dump Super Skrull in the middle of Dante and Deadpool, but I have a really strong feeling that a lot of people are going to just sleep on him. I don't think he's too bad by himself. He's got range on a few of his normals and they come out really quickly. Tenderizer, spammy as it can be at times, is actually a pretty good move and it OTGs well into some of his (and other character's) supers. Plus he's got a couple of really quick command grabs and his supers do a healthy amount of damage. His assists aren't really so hot, though. Stone Smite is halfway decent only when it hits, and it sucks in pretty much every other way imaginable because the windup on it is sooooooo slowwwwwwww. Tenderizer's a good assist (obv); it comes out pretty damn quickly and keeps the opponent off of you. Orbital Gauge has good start-up time, but terrible utility. Like, maybe as a "get the **** offa me" kinda deal? I dunno.

I may just drop Skrull and put Dorm back on the team. Who knows? If I do end up leaving him with this comp, he's definitely taking point the whole time (barring extenuating circumstances like finding out he gets roflstomped by this character or that team). Like I said above, his assists are kinda bleh. As far as team synergy goes, it's a bit wonky, but with the right assists (Jam Session for Dante and Katana-Rama! for Deadpool) I seem to be pulling off some pretty cool tricks.

(P.S. FORWARD AND HEAVY DOIN' IT DHALSIM STYLE...kind of.)

One more thing I noticed while playing:

There's a ??? at the bottom of all the media samplings in Gallery mode, even after you unlock all of the characters available in this build. Maybe Capcom snuck a non-DLC character in on us...?

Speculation, people.

Smooth Criminal

THOUSAND AND ONE EDITS.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Guys, don't forget! All 24-hour Wal-marts are having MvC3 midnight launch tournaments. Prize is... a free copy of MvC3. Participants apparently get a cool poster too.

...Gamestop is doing a tourny too?

I guess I'll be going Magneto, Morrigan, Storm (gotta stick with the familiar). Although, if I get some hands on time, I'll totally be using MODOK.

Barring any competition johns, my first team I'll be trying out will be MODOK, Arthur, Phoenix.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
MODOK is HILARIOUS...

...-ly fun to play as. :3 I enjoy the aghast expressions on my friends' faces when I end up KILL KILL KILLING them over and over again. It gives KILLER ILLUMINATION to my TROLL-LIKE fase.

He's another character I feel is pretty good. A bit gimmicky, but definitely dangerous in the right hands.

Smooth Criminal

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
S Criminal: My friend was saying the only problem with Skrull is that sometimes if you're push blocking and you have to push block a lot of hits you accidentally do tenderizer since it's just mash a button. Also if you throw out tenderizer on someone, they can just push block and then punish the lag with a super. I don't think Skrull synergizes well with your team either. I DO however think that Dormammu would fit terrifically with Dante and Deadpool. Jam Session is a great AA to help keep people out and Deadpool's trigger happy assist is good because it goes diagonally upwards to catch people who try and SJ before you get out Jam Session if they try and predict you're going to do that assist, it's also good for just keeping people out. Those are definitely two really good assist for Dormammu.

ZGamer: Modok and Arthur paired together would actually work pretty well I think. I'm thinking, and maybe this is just cuz I don't remember Modok's other assists, but if you use Barrier while doing Arthur's dumb run away/zoning BS, you can keep opponent's out for days. I don't know how I feel about Magneto with Storm anymore. EM Disruptor is a good assist, but that's because it's just plain good for ANYONE. Magneto by himself on point though I feel is just really mediocre as a whole. Definitely the worst of the returning big 3 no doubt in my mind. ALSO, Arthur and Modok would build meter for Phoenix very well so that when she comes in she can go to DPhoenix and then X-Factor or whatever if you'd like.

If anybody else has random questions for me or my thoughts on certain things I'd be more than happy to do my best to respond btw.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
@ Iron Dragon:

Yeah, I noticed that push blocking really kicked my *** when I tried to do it. Skrull was like, "LOL WHACKWHACKWHACKWHACK," and I'm like, "I just wanted you to get the mother****er out of your face." I didn't throw Tenderizer out willy-nilly, to my credit, and I made sure that I put it in a combo that was going to be a sure string of hits (when, you know, I wasn't blocking. Which was rare, I found). It's also DEFINITELY not something you want to pressure people with, either---I found out the hard way when I myself was push-blocked and was on the receiving end of a setup of some kind, just like you mentioned.

But I dunno. I do like his damage output and I like some of his combos. I'll probably end up going Dorm as you mentioned, who does indeed have great synergy with those two characters. It's just going to be rough learning a zoning character with projectile spam. : /

Thanks for ultimately deciding on Deadpool's assist there, btw. I had a feeling Trigger Happy was better.

Smooth Criminal

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Can you confirm how long MODOK can camp off-screen?

I heard that MODOK's flight doesn't obey the standard 'sink down to mid-jump height after using flight' rule and he can do this headbutt thing to go higher in the air and he can airdash up then flight and stay above the screen or some broken troll ish like that.

Lame that the returning gods (at least Magneto anyway, he was my favorite in MvC2) are weakened. Eh, I still gotta stick with what I know though.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Can you confirm how long MODOK can camp off-screen?

I heard that MODOK's flight doesn't obey the standard 'sink down to mid-jump height after using flight' rule and he can do this headbutt thing to go higher in the air and he can airdash up then flight and stay above the screen or some broken troll ish like that.

Lame that the returning gods (at least Magneto anyway, he was my favorite in MvC2) are weakened. Eh, I still gotta stick with what I know though.
LOL damnit, I hate to seem un-reliable with answering questions, but it's like Modok was the ONLY character people didn't use hahaha so I don't know a whole lot about him =/.

I think Storm is still pretty good and might have the most potential out of all 3. As I've said before, hail storm chip is nuts and probly is like 10%. Sentinel is still pretty decent too he's just really slow and you can't control flight stuff as well like saidl. If you fly for 3 seconds he auto un-flies/drops.

However, Sentinel's drone arms is top 5 assists in the game no doubt in my mind. His HSF is also an extremely good DHC.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
ehh, I've already gotten some plenty helpful stuff from you, mang, like how Magneto's camping got uber buffed.

I'm gonna camp with Magneto
And camp with Storm
And camp with Morrigan

Here's hoping there aren't any 'entrant-friendly limits.' I've seen a Guilty Gear casual tournament with a rule where combos couldn't exceed 7 hits.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Here's hoping there aren't any 'entrant-friendly limits.' I've seen a Guilty Gear casual tournament with a rule where combos couldn't exceed 7 hits.
What...

Dark Phoenix better be able to 100% after what you need to do to get her.

Top Bottom