• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Because old school players don't like easy games. I don't get the big deal with it. I ****ing hate easy games. Every new fg that comes out nowadays I have to find a difficult character whether I like the character or not. Why? I like to be flashy, I like doin **** I actually worked for, and I hate easymode *** characters. Its not fun for me. It takes a lot of the hype out imo.

Like, in Marvel 2 you see this guy hit a crazy *** fly unfly combo with Sent and CapCom, you're like OHHHHHH ****TTTT YOOOO, but in Marvel 3 that never, let me repeat, NEVER happens for me. Never.

I'm really afraid that the fgs in 10 years will all be like Brawl. I would be soooooo pissed..

But thats probably just me >_>
and every other player that came before the SF4 wave

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I love the part where he keeps getting offended at how badly Neo was playing matrix

anyone else miss MVC2?
Well I wrote a ****ing novel on team construction in the game 2 weeks ago and it's one of my favorite fighting games to watch and play, so yeah I kinda miss it.

what I don't understand is, why did MVC2 suddenly become obsolete the moment mvc3 came out as if the two are the same game?
[...]
MVC2 is a great game with a good rep, I don't see how a game that was so popular got abandoned the way it did when most of the top mvc2 players said they weren't convinced that mvc3 would be good yet once the game came out no one stuck to mvc2
That's such a smasher thing to say lol. No offense to smashers but the 2D fighting game scene works a lot differently since there are so many more games than Smash.

The SF series alone has 3 main games that are all extremely popular (ST, 3S, and whatever the latest SFIV game is) in addition to games in the Alpha series (mostly Alpha 2) that have a lesser following. Then there's the KoF series, which will have 13 games in the fall, though most players focus on '98, '02, and whatever the most recent one is. There's also a bevy of other SNK games like Garou: Mark of the Wolves and Samurai Showdown. There's also the versus series games, the most popular of which includes XvSF, CvS2, MvC, MvC2, TvC, and of course MvC3. There's also the "anime fighters" which include Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, MeltyBlood, Arcana Heart, as well as random stuff like Hokuto no Ken, JJBA, and Aquapazza. Finally there's the 2D MK games of which UMK3 and MK9 are the most popular. On top of all this, there's also the 3D fighters which I won't go into but I'm sure you can think of 4 or 5 popular 3D fighting game series on your own.

Meanwhile, the Smash series has only 3 games. And nobody really plays Smash64, so it's more like 2.

It's a lot easier for dedicated Smash tourneys to pick what games they're going to play than it is for 2D fighter tourneys. Aside from the main events of the 3 or 4 most popular games, which will have the highest number of entrants, there will usually be side events for another 5 or 6 games. It's very logistically hard to process and organize all this information. Basically, imagine the largest Smash tourney you've ever been to that hosts both Melee and Brawl. Now imagine if the organizers of that tourney had to run 10 games instead of just two. It would just be too much.

EVO is kind of an exception since they have a larger venue and more staff, but they still try to keep it to only 5 major events to help ease the logistics of it. The 5 main events are usually the most recent games that are out. Having them all on one console (read: on PS3) is important too, which is why games like TvC (on the Wii) and MeltyBlood (on the PS2) have been phased out to side events. The issue with MvC2 on the PS3 is that there are enough differences that the community is divided over whether to use it in competition over the Dreamcast or not.

TvC was alive?
Let's not get into that again.

I figured this was the case but I don't even hear about mvc2 side tournaments.
EVO side tournaments are rarely mentioned.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
The SF series alone has 3 main games that are all extremely popular (ST, 3S, and whatever the latest SFIV game is) in addition to games in the Alpha series (mostly Alpha 2) that have a lesser following. Then there's the KoF series, which will have 13 games in the fall, though most players focus on '98, '02, and whatever the most recent one is. There's also a bevy of other SNK games like Garou: Mark of the Wolves and Samurai Showdown Last Blade 2. There's also the versus series games, the most popular of which includes XvSF, CvS2, MvC, MvC2, TvC, and of course MvC3. There's also the "anime fighters" which include Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, MeltyBlood, Arcana Heart, as well as random stuff like Hokuto no Ken, JJBA, and Aquapazza. Finally there's the 2D MK games of which UMK3 and MK9 are the most popular. On top of all this, there's also the 3D fighters which I won't go into but I'm sure you can think of 4 or 5 popular 3D fighting game series on your own.
Fixed :D. JJBA aint a doujin, it's like with Vampire Savior and the earlier Marvel games.

Let's not get into that again
But..but.. fine. D:<

Savon

Smash Ace
I totally smell where you are coming from etwist, so why not just use a harder char and be done with it? Mvc2 had so many trash chars that I just could not get into it, and trust me I tried. I recently got into melee and I am enjoying it. I always felt that fight games should be easy to pick up, but difficult to master, and that is an issue I do not see in newer fgs. Mvc3 drew me into it, but by no means is it easy to master

:phone:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I am new to the marvel series to be honest, but if a newer game comes out that is more accessible why would people not play it? I personally just do not have fun playing mvc2. It is hard to get into a scene of a game that has been around for years when you can just get into the newer game with a growing scene with fellow newbies just like you instead of 10 year mvc2 vets.

I think that's perfectly normal and fine since a lot of the fun is entering a scene with a lot of people that are actively playing. I don't have the time for tourneys at the moment so I find myself playing the old games only because they're just fun to practice or just play (since it's not like I'm planning on getting competitive in those old games anyways). But once I do have time (and money) I'll probably get back into the newer games again.
Fixed :D. JJBA aint a doujin, it's like with Vampire Savior and the earlier Marvel games.
I never understood what exactly is a doujin game. I just know most of them have a 4 button layout with double jumps and stuff, but that's it.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Because old school players don't like easy games. I don't get the big deal with it. I ****ing hate easy games. Every new fg that comes out nowadays I have to find a difficult character whether I like the character or not. Why? I like to be flashy, I like doin **** I actually worked for, and I hate easymode *** characters. Its not fun for me. It takes a lot of the hype out imo.

Like, in Marvel 2 you see this guy hit a crazy *** fly unfly combo with Sent and CapCom, you're like OHHHHHH ****TTTT YOOOO, but in Marvel 3 that never, let me repeat, NEVER happens for me. Never.

I'm really afraid that the fgs in 10 years will all be like Brawl. I would be soooooo pissed..

But thats probably just me >_>
and every other player that came before the SF4 wave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCWdCKPtnYE

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
@Savon

Execution wise MvC3 is a very easy game. It really is. I can understand you not getting into MvC2 NOW because no one plays it andddd you like playing characters you like.

And the reason I don't just pick a hard character and be done with it is because thats not the entire reason I hate this game. It was a mixture of that, the damage being too high, the hitstun system, the boring otg combos (although the game evolved past this, thank god), and finally, the one thing I could NOT overlook, X-factor.

XF is like the only thing I couldn't be like "w.e I'm still gonna play this ****" like I do with every other new game.

edit:

I never understood what exactly is a doujin game. I just know most of them have a 4 button layout with double jumps and stuff, but that's it.
Idk, when I think doujin I think air dashes, anime, and bursts.

yeah yeah..

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
A doujin game is an indie game.

In other words, none of what was listed as an "anime game", except for the early, crappy Melty. :3

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Aquapazza isn't independent?

And saying that you can't get into the scene because it's too hard to play a certain game just reads to me as "I'm too lazy to learn this game so I'd rather learn a game that's dumbed down".

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
A doujin game is an indie game.

In other words, none of what was listed as an "anime game", except for the early, crappy Melty. :3
I always thought it was just anime based fighters with a heavy emphasis on female characters. Thus spawning a lot of merchandising and plenty of doujins.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I don't think so, Aquapazza is made by the AH3 people right?

I never followed it, the characters might be from independent games.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, god forbid we talk about ANOTHER GAME IN THE SAME SERIES AS THIS.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Oh, really? I could have sworn this thread was derailing into discussion of what constitutes a doujin fighter. Drop the attitude.
For like 3 posts. If you read anything more than that you'd see that we were talking about MvC2 and why it's not in tourneys. You just want this thread to be nothing but fight requests and ggs messages. That and your ****ing obsession with Phoenix is all you ever talk about in this god damn thread and you want everyone else to do the same. Well excuse us for thinking about more than just playing online.

"Drop the attitude"? Drop dead.

... I hate when mods act like that..

But I won't start..

Just because it's Serris and not some mod I hate.
You don't hate Serris? Why?

Savon

Smash Ace
Stop the drama guys. HE LOVES ME (and you) INFERNOOOOOOOOOOO

Except Sentinel because I hate sentinels although sentinel is a cool dude besides being called sentinel. Did that make sense?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah, god forbid we talk about ANOTHER GAME IN THE SAME SERIES AS THIS.
Not God, just the rules.

Has there been any ideas as to when Capcom will officially unveil the next pair of fighters? Any major events on the way that they might make an appearance?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
We occassionally talk of Melty Blood, the first Continuum Shift, Calamity Trigger, and just BlazBlue stuff in GENERAL in our BlazBlue CSII thread. If it's really that big of an issue here on Smashboards, maybe this should just be turned into a "Marvel vs. Capcom General Discussion" thread or something.

Then again, I say the title doesn't even matter so long as it's within the same series.

lol'd at seeing Gates banned from reading earlier posts I was catching up on, then getting to this point and going, "oh now I see why" ffffff

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hold up, so we're really not aloud to talk about Marvel games other than Marvel 3?

That is so damn ******** I'm sorry. Wow.
*Raises eyebrow* I wasn't aware Doujin and anime games were all made by marvel.

There's a difference between mentioning stuff about MVC2/other marvel fighters and talking about Aquapazza.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I'd like to believe that people will one day learn they cant go onto a forum, say "**** the rules I'll do what I damn well want" and will generally just not be ********, but I've been here WAAAAAAAAAAAY too long to expect something like that.

Mic do you actually play MvC?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
*Raises eyebrow* I wasn't aware Doujin and anime games were all made by marvel.

There's a difference between mentioning stuff about MVC2/other marvel fighters and talking about Aquapazza.
Gahhh, your post confused me. Gates post said how we weren't able to talk about other games in the series and you said it's against the rules. >_>

cutter

Smash Champion
Why are they petitioning that?

Why don't they petition a ****ing universal damage nerf. The ****ing damage in this game is retardedddddd. I swear, I might not even buy this **** considering they aren't fixing a damn thing, if anything they're making it worse. lol Air X factor and a health nerf to most characters (which basically means the same as making the damage higher).

And yes, before anyone says it, I'm ****ing salty.
You're still complaining about the high damage Etwist?

James Chen mentioned this one week on Wednesday Night Fights: people like fighting games with high damage in them! And it's true. He brought up an example of how one version of Tekken was renowned for its high damage and then when the next Tekken came out with toned down damage output, nearly everyone whined about the damage being too low. (I don't play Tekken at all, so someone who is well-versed in the Tekken series can fill me in on what Tekkens James Chen was talking about). Same goes for a game like Super Turbo. ST is loved in part that the damage is just so high in that game and it's not a turtle-fest like Down Back Fighter 4. High damage games are also loved by the audience and they get a hell of a lot more hype than ones with lower damage (James mentioned this too).

As ****ty as someone like Hsien-Ko is in MvC3, she can at least kill characters if she opens you up twice. High damage helps to assuage the differences in tiers, and this is important for a large roster IMO.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I ***** a lot, you don't know this yet? lol

edit: I get your point but then again a don't because MvC2 is the best spectator game ever imo..

cutter

Smash Champion
I ***** a lot, you don't know this yet? lol
I know.

I'm just one that likes to look at things from a different perspective after I've cooled off. You don't see it often, but I will get angry at shizz that seriously does bug me. It's just not always in public and whatnot.

And I know I'm like the exact opposite of you. :troll:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Mic do you actually play MvC?
Chun Li, Magneto and Sentinel. Chun for building up meter (and stupidly effective kick-spam chasing) Mag for his assist, and then Sentinel for the finisher. Hope Chun Li hasn't been changed much :c

Top Bottom