• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Tell you what, I love third-party characters as much as the next guy, but this is really reminding me how many great Nintendo franchises are still unrepresented in Smash. And people will still have the nerve to say that Smash is “running out of options.”
The community is fully aware of the multitude of Fantastic Nintendo franchises

Nintendo is not. and that gets in the way of people talking about these more obscure series.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The community is fully aware of the multitude of Fantastic Nintendo franchises

Nintendo is not. and that gets in the way of people talking about these more obscure series.
Per this. Requests scale directly proportional to perceived likelihood. I think a lot of the so-called "bandwagoning" stems from people thing the character is likely, meaning they can actually invest in someone without too much worry of disappointment. Conversely, when a fighter is deemed unlikely or straight-up deconfirmed, most of the time their visible support plummets immensely. We don't talk about first-parties much anymore because not many of them seem that likely lately.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Dammit, got beat to the punch on like my top 3. I guess I'll go with this one then

Job 60

Yes, I believe this counts as it is a 1st party Nintendo series and with Luigi counting as a Mario rep, this leave Luigi's Mansion with 0 playable reps. Luigi's Mansion is one of the better selling series from Nintendo, beating out already repped series from Smash such as Metriod, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, and Splatoon. It just makes so much sense that LM would be the next series to be officially repped in Smash.

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Job 59: The Legendary Starfy

Starfy is series that has a cult following. Its small fanbase is one of the most dedicated ones out there. Although it certainly isn't the largest series out there, it certainly deserves more. I know this isn't much, but Nintendo mostly ignores this series, and it deserves an equal shot like every other character.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Job 59

Advance Wars

Advance Wars - VGMdb

Advance Wars (also known as Nintendo Wars) is a strategy RPG series developed by Intelligent Systems, the same studio that created Fire Emblem (and is generally considered it's sister series). It's first entry was on the Famicom in 1988, and has had around a dozen entries released on multiple Nintendo systems, and remained a Japan only series all the way until the GBA (much like Fire Emblem). In addition to starting around the same time as Fire Emblem, it's localization on the Game Boy Advance (hence why it is mostly known as Advance Wars in the West), helped influence the decision to finally localize Fire Emblem in the West. Although it is a strategy RPG series like Fire Emblem, there are several key differences in setting and gameplay that help it stand out on its own. First of all, the games are set in the modern day with modern military, and the units are mostly generic tanks, ships, and planes that are commanded by a Commanding Officer. The games have a colorful cast of characters that would be a great fit for Smash, and amazing stage and music potential as well.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Dammit, got beat to the punch on like my top 3. I guess I'll go with this one then

Job 60

Yes, I believe this counts as it is a 1st party Nintendo series and with Luigi counting as a Mario rep, this leave Luigi's Mansion with 0 playable reps. Luigi's Mansion is one of the better selling series from Nintendo, beating out already repped series from Smash such as Metriod, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, and Splatoon. It just makes so much sense that LM would be the next series to be officially repped in Smash.
I'm pretty sure Luigi's Mansion is treated as part of the Mario series in Smash.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Job 60

That’s kind of a stretch, honestly. Even Mario Kart is treated somewhat of a different series typically gets lumped into Mario as does Paper Mario.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
still I don't see why we can't change what series a character is treated as being from
I still feel like there are other ways we can make King Boo playable (Let's be real, who else will the LM rep be). It would kinda be a waste to have a category dedicated to series not represented in Smash when anything in Luigi's Mansion can fall under the Mario banner. It's too loop hole-y for my liking.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I still feel like there are other ways we can make King Boo playable (Let's be real, who else will the LM rep be). It would kinda be a waste to have a category dedicated to series not represented in Smash when anything in Luigi's Mansion can fall under the Mario banner. It's too loop hole-y for my liking.
yeah, I know. I just find it odd that changing what series a character is listed as representing isn't allowed

Otoad64

Smash Lord
We are talking about “a new series that doesn’t have a fighter yet.” Is it really fair to say that Luigi’s Mansion doesn’t have a fighter yet when it’s main character is already playable?
yeah that is true. imo a better idea would be to change Luigi to make him rep Luigi's Mansion more.

but yeah it would probably be better to represent an entire new universe with a fighter than one with it's protagonist on the roster before it even existed

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Jomosensual Jomosensual , I’m sorry but I will be declining the Luigi’s Mansion submission. It is nothing against Luigi’s Mansion but the logic behind it has tons of holes that don’t really hold water. If I was to allow this then, by precedent, all spin-off games can become viable universes. Mario Kart is bar-none the lead game to be given an universe and, like I said, it’s already treated as it’s own universe by some in the community. That being said, it’s still under the Mario umbrella.

What we are going for is something entirely new for Smash and to highlight on franchises that haven’t had a spot in Smash yet. If we want to upgrade a series to become a new universe; we can go that route later on but not for this job.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We will be counting up boss votes within 5-6 hours. Submissions for the next fighter will end in roughly 12 hours.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Job 59: StarTropics

StarTropics is a duology of games released for the NES in the 90s. Developed by Genyo Takeda (of Punch-Out fame), these games were developed with a Western audience in mind, and thus never released in Japan.

The games follow all-American teenager Mike Jones, and take a sci-fi bent similar to EarthBound. The first game sees Mike searching for his uncle, a scientist who mysteriously disappeared, in the tropical setting of C Island, while the second game finds Mike traveling through time and space. The games feature gameplay similar to Zelda, with Mike traveling through an overworld, visiting towns, and of course fighting through dungeons. However Mike's arsenal is more outlandish, wielding yo-yo's, shurikens, bolas, and more.

Why would this series get a fighter in Smash? For one, because the games are really fun, and there's a fun arsenal to be crafted for whoever is its playable rep. StarTropics brings a new setting and aesthetic to Smash, with the tropical beaches and caves of C Island differing from what we have so far and Mike himself being a different take on the traditional RPG hero (a heroic teenager, but swapping the sword and sandals for a baseball bat and a blue jacket). But also, it would mean that the franchise would finally be acknowledged in Japan. A series developed in Japan, that releases everywhere in the world but Japan? That's got to be a one-of-a-kind scenario, and one that benefits nobody. However, by giving it the Smash spotlight, its fate changes: not only does Japan learn about (and hopefully get to play) two unknown classics, but also Nintendo stops forgetting it exists, which is good for the Western fans as well.

Oh and also the music. The music in StarTropics is banging.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Wadanohara ( Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea)
Class: Ace
Type: Primary Shield, 3 slots
Effect: Magic Attack ↑
  • Puppet Fighter:
    • (blue)
    • :ultcloud: (advent children)
  • Stage: Fountain of Dreams
  • Music Track: Swan Lesson
  • Match: Stock (1)
  • Conditions:
    • Defeat the main fighter to win
    • The enemy will heal overtime
    • The enemy magic attack have increased power
Same.png
Samekichi ( Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea)
Class: Ace
Type: Primary Attack, 3 of slots
Effect: N/A
  • Puppet Fighter:
    • :ultwolf:(black)
    • (blue)
  • Stage: Reset Bomb Forest
  • Music Track: Smiles and Tears
  • Match: Stamina (400%)
  • Conditions:
    • The enemy gets a major stat boost when badly damaged
Memo.png
Fuka.png
Dolph.png
Memoca, Fukami and Dolpi ( Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea)
Class: Advanced
Type: Support Grab, 1 slots
Effect: Perfect-Shield Reflect
  • Puppet Fighters (left to right):
    • :ultpit:(blonde)
    • giant
      (lavender)
    • tiny:ultcorrinf: (black)
  • Stage: Tortimer Island
  • Music Track: The Adventure Begins
  • Match: Stock (1)
  • Conditions:
    • Bob-ombs will rain from the sky
    • The enemy favor grabs and throws (Octoling)

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
First Party
  • Pokemon
  • Murasame
  • King Bob-Omb

Just to double check, when will we be doing the October Direct Newcomer?
Here’s the results of the voting for the Boss!
First Party
Rudy the Clown (Wario Land) @Wario Wario Wario 3
Giygas (Earthbound) @Honest Slug 8
Plasm Wraith (Pikmin) Otoad64 Otoad64 7
Pokémon boss 11
Kraid (Metroid) @The Fantasy Smasher 9
Homunculus y (Astral Chain) @airConditioner 5
Grima (Fire Emblem) @cashregister9 3
Robobrood (Super Mario) @Yiptap 0
Murasame (Mysterious Castle Murasame) @GoodGrief741 6
Kracko (Kirby) @SmasherMaster 2
King Bomb-omb (Mario) Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom 6

Third Party
Lizzie, Ralph, and George (Rampage!) @Wario Wario Wario 3
The Great Mighty Poo (Conker’s Bad Fur Day) @Honest Slug 2
Ender Dragon (Minecraft) @Otoad64 12
Perfect Chaos (Sonic) @BowserKing 2
Kamoshida (Persona 5) @Jomosensual 2
Gruntilda (Banjo-Kazooie)@The Fantasy Smasher 5
Devil (Cuphead) Janx_uwu Janx_uwu 8
Death Egg Robot (Sonic) Perkilator Perkilator 7
Cyberdemon (Doom) cashregister9 cashregister9 1
Metal Gear Ray (Metal Gear Solid) GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 6
Perfect Chaos (Sonic) @SharkLord 6
Phantom Train (Final Fantasy) @Mamboo07 2
Reaper (Mass Effect) Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom 0

We will now begin voting for which Pokémon to go with that was submitted during the Boss submission round. I’m sorry but, because of fairness, we can’t submit a new Pokémon boss for this round. Please check the poll in a bit to vote for which boss you want to see.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Nomination: Wonderful 101

Now, I am unsure if the series would still count as a 1st party since the remastered Switch edition wasn't produced by Nintendo, but I figure I would attempt to nominate the franchise for a new character if it is allowed. Wonderful 101 was one of the only IPs that started on the Wii U (besides the obvious one), plus I feel like it has a variety of characters that could work well as fighters.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Nomination: Wonderful 101

Now, I am unsure if the series would still count as a 1st party since the remastered Switch edition wasn't produced by Nintendo, but I figure I would attempt to nominate the franchise for a new character if it is allowed. Wonderful 101 was one of the only IPs that started on the Wii U (besides the obvious one), plus I feel like it has a variety of characters that could work well as fighters.
If I recall, Wonderful 101 was considered a second party character in the same vein of Fatal Frame and Culdcept firing the WiiU era but now is considered solely a third party franchise. Due to that, I’m pretty sure Wonderful 101 doesn’t fit the criteria.

Submissions will finish within the hour.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Ok, trying this again since Luigi's Mansion was shot down. This time we'll go with

A pretty out there pick for sure. Would be a ROB tier wild pick. But with Labo spirits existing in Ultimate I feel like any questions as to if this should count or not go out the window. A Labo character would obviously take advantage of all the different Labo toys/sets available for a moveset. Outside the box thinking for sure, but sometimes with Smash when you go outside you find a hidden gem.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Ok, trying this again since Luigi's Mansion was shot down. This time we'll go with

A pretty out there pick for sure. Would be a ROB tier wild pick. But with Labo spirits existing in Ultimate I feel like any questions as to if this should count or not go out the window. A Labo character would obviously take advantage of all the different Labo toys/sets available for a moveset. Outside the box thinking for sure, but sometimes with Smash when you go outside you find a hidden gem.
Funnily enough, I do have a Labo rep in mind... Gerry Riggs, we could do with an elderly Smash fighter.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
If I recall, Wonderful 101 was considered a second party character in the same vein of Fatal Frame and Culdcept firing the WiiU era but now is considered solely a third party franchise. Due to that, I’m pretty sure Wonderful 101 doesn’t fit the criteria.

Submissions will finish within the hour.
I thought so. I guess I'll nominate
Joy Mech Fight

Joy Mech Fight was a japnense exclusive fighting game for the Famicom which featured thirty six fighters.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ok, it’s time to vote on which franchise we will draw a newcomer fighter from! We will do something new and vote for four total submissions. You may vote for your own. Please vote based on which franchise “deserves” to be included in Smash and how this franchise could be incorporated. Also, please keep in mind of the current roster and the placement of the next fighter.

Ring Fit Adventure Otoad64 Otoad64
Rhythm Heaven cashregister9 cashregister9
Famicon Detective Club Commander_Alph Commander_Alph
Mole Mania Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
Dillon’s Rolling Western CheeseAnton CheeseAnton
The Mysterious Murasame Castle Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku
Dragalia Lost @chocolatejr9
Astral Chain SharkLord SharkLord
Sin & Punishment airConditioner airConditioner
Excitebike Janx_uwu Janx_uwu
Pandora’s Tower Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto
Chibi-Robo! @ahemtoday
Custom Robo Paraster Paraster
The Legendary Starfy Yiptap Yiptap
Mach Rider Honest Slug Honest Slug
Advance Wars Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12
StarTropics GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741
Nintendo Labo Jomosensual Jomosensual
Joy Mech Fight SmasherMaster SmasherMaster

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ok, it’s time to vote on which franchise we will draw a newcomer fighter from! We will do something new and vote for four total submissions. You may vote for your own. Please vote based on which franchise “deserves” to be included in Smash and how this franchise could be incorporated. Also, please keep in mind of the current roster and the placement of the next fighter.

Ring Fit Adventure Otoad64 Otoad64
Rhythm Heaven cashregister9 cashregister9
Famicon Detective Club Commander_Alph Commander_Alph
Mole Mania Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
Dillon’s Rolling Western CheeseAnton CheeseAnton
The Mysterious Murasame Castle T the Smashing Ramen
Dragalia Lost @chocolatejr9
Astral Chain SharkLord SharkLord
Sin & Punishment airConditioner airConditioner
Excitebike Janx_uwu Janx_uwu
Pandora’s Tower Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto
Chibi-Robo! @ahemtoday
Custom Robo Paraster Paraster
The Legendary Starfy Yiptap Yiptap
Mach Rider Honest Slug Honest Slug
Advance Wars Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12
StarTropics GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741
Nintendo Labo Jomosensual Jomosensual
Joy Mech Fight SmasherMaster SmasherMaster
Just to make sure, we're submitting four characters, and we're ending up with one winner?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
My vote goes to:

1. The Mysterious Murasame Castle
2. Custom Robo
3. Sin and Punishment
4. Advance Wars

Murasame Castle is a game that still gets shout-outs by Nintendo themselves to this day, Sin and Punishment is a cult classic IP and both Advance Wars and Custom Robo honestly feel like they should have been in by now

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Just to make sure, we're submitting four characters, and we're ending up with one winner?
We are voting for the top four franchise submissions and picking the winner, yes. Same old rules but just added one extra vote. I’ve been wanting to try four votes fir a while now and the amount of submissions can support four votes.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
1. Ring Fit Adventure
2. Rhythm Heaven
3. Chibi-Robo
4. Advance Wars

voting was quite hard and I considered voting for many of the other options but I feel these four are the most "deserving" choices

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom