• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, here we go.
  1. Ring Fit Adventure - A massive success, arguably the Switch's answer to Splatoon. Not much more needs to be said.
  2. Dragalia Lost - Nintendo's first original mobile IP, marking a notable milestone in their history.
  3. Advance Wars - One of the few major series not represented in Smash, despite dating back to the NES/Famicom days
  4. Famicom Detective Club - A retro rep that is getting a remake. However, the main draw for me is that Ayumi was planned as far back as Smash 64, being the oldest character who was planned and never joined the roster later, giving the series significance in the context of Smash.
There's a lot of good options here that can be considered deserving, so I tried to narrow them down into different criteria for all four submissions. I also considered Mysterious Murasame Castle, Rhythm Heaven, and Astral Chain, especially the former. Though, the latter was dropped because I submitted that and I prefer not to vote for my own submissions.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
1. Mysterious Murasame Castle - A great potential retro rep with quite some history behind it, was even considered at once
2. Astral Chain - One of Nintendo's biggest new IPs currently, it being in Smash is an inevitability
3. Sin & Punishment - Despite being a niche and "long-forgotten" franchise, it has been repped in Smash in some way or form ever since Brawl
4. Advance Wars - For the love of god Fire Emblem isn't the only thing Intelligent Systems works on and I want a new game lol

As always, not voting for my own stuff cause I don't like doing things that way

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
1. Astral Chain - New hot IP for Nintendo, did well enough that they purchased the full rights to it. Feels like a case of not if but when for Astral Chain being in Smash no matter if that's in Ultimate or in the future.
2. Ring Fit - Another new IP on the scene that did well and takes advantage of the exercise game genre that has usually done well for them
3. Rhythm Heaven - Feels like the old guard of the most deserving from Smash 4 days. Based on the research I did I think that it's the best selling series that has no playable characters or assist trophies to speak of
4. Nintendo Labo - Nintendo pushes the series fairly hard and it would make for an interesting outside the box character. No idea on sales numbers but given how much Nintendo seems to like Labo I'd assume it does fairly well.

Honorable Mention
Murasame Castle - Really wanted to vote for it but I just couldn't convince myself of how deserving it was. I think it and Takamaru's main issue of being unknown in the west is dead now due to Smash but in the end it's an IP that hasn't been touched in a long time.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Rhythm Heaven: It’s hard to argue against Rhythm Heaven at this point. It’s one of Nintendo’s most successful and unique IPs. There is so much potential for an amazing fighter and there are plenty of great stage and music options.

Excitebike: The Excite series is way more vast and successful than people realize. It’s gotten its fair share of entries and even outsells major Nintendo series like F-Zero and Xenoblade. The Excitebiker could also make for an incredibly unique fighter.

Custom Robo: Nintendo needs to pay more attention to this franchise. It actually seemed to have some decent momentum back in the day, but was just dropped for whatever reason and hasn’t had a new entry in over a decade. Ray’s moveset potential is off the charts, and being added to Smash would be a great way to revitalize this fantastic series.

Sin & Punishment: The first S&P is great and the sequel is absolutely amazing. It’s one of the best rail-shooters out there and perfectly optimized the Wii remote and nunchuck. It even directly inspired the gameplay of Kid Icarus Uprising. Certainly it deserves more recognition in Smash.

This was tough. There are so many great options here.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Nominations: (and I’m going to start giving reasons as I think that’s helpful)

Astral Chain - I’ve been supportive of getting Astral Chain content and, given we have like 6 songs, it makes sense to further expand the series into playable character territory. There’s globs of content that feels right at home to be included in Smash.

Nintendo Labo - Just the sheer randomness of this idea is really appealing from a stage that constructs itself to a fighter that is composed of cardboard cutouts to create shapes. I think the series has a lot to use in Smash.

Mysterious Castle Muramasa - We don’t have a retro rep yet so include MCM might be the way to go. Nintendo continues to support the series through various tie-ins. It seems perfect for future inclusions and maybe even a reboot fueled by Smash.

Sin & Punishment: We have tons of great candidates and I totally support other series such as Excitebike, Rhythm Heaven, Joy Mecha Fighter, and really most of what was represented. That being said, Sin & Punishment content would be a fun way to bring back a series that really was highlighted in Brawl that resulted in a reboot but then largely forgotten.

Paraster

Smash Lord
First Party Properties:

Custom Robo: See my original writeup on it.

Chibi-Robo!: I haven't experienced it myself, but it seems fun and charming, and it has a lot of fans who have felt shafted by poor marketing and bad decisions. Chibi-Robo deserves a chance at a bigger spotlight.

Astral Chain: Instead of trying to revive an older series, this would see us ride the wave of something that seems to be heading for a brighter future, and it'd be interesting to see another sort of duo character concept.

Sin and Punishment: This one just seems like it'd make for a fun fighter; a swift zoner/swordie hybrid, perhaps? Plus, while I again haven't played it myself, if it's as similar to Kid Icarus: Uprising as people say, it deserves more credit.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This is easily the toughest vote so far. I think all the franchises proposed deserve a character and I support at least one from every single one. The main factor I used to decide was having several potential candidates (so that it makes sense in this category), and I also gave priority to franchises that might have worse odds getting in another time.

Rhythm Heaven: Probably the most deserving first party franchise without a character. It keeps getting games and reps a genre missing so far. Plus there's many characters and movesets it could inspire, so it would be at least interesting to discuss.

Advance Wars: A franchise with a history as long and influential as this one surely deserves to be in Smash. My preferred choice for a rep is Andy but it's not clear cut and there's several incarnations and styles in the series.

Custom Robo: It feels like this should have gotten a fighter in Smash already? Pokemon meets Gundam meets arena fighter is a match made in heaven, and in terms of Smash we have a literal arsenal of possibilities. And what Ray do we choose? Do we even choose Ray? Lots of options

Joy Mech Fight: I love this game so much - I'm actually replaying it right now! While it has a clear protagonist in Sukapon, it's a fighting game, and one with over 30 characters, so I'm sure some other candidates will surface.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Alright, here are my choices.
-Ring Fit Adventure
-Astral Chain
-Rhythm Heaven
-Advanced Wars
First two for being new franchises on the Switch and the other two for seemingly being the largest series without a playable character.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Just throwing it out there that if our winner happens to have debuted after what Smash considers retro (that being the NES era), then I think a retro first-party could be a fun category of its own to vote on in the future, maybe also throwing the Game Boy into the mix
That has always been an option. Once we move past the Game Award reveal, we will having more focused character prompts including those where we submit prompts to submit characters for.

edit: lol sorry I was typing as I was walking

Voting will conclude within 8 hours. Once the votes are counted, we can start our character submissions if it’s from a series with several viable candidates or progress into the character development and moveset phase for a clear cut candidate.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Fun Spirit Theme

Gebel_Transparent.png
Gebel (Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night)
Class: Advanced
Type: Primary Attack
Effect: Magic Attack ↑
  • Puppet Fighter: Sephiroth (Red)
  • Stage: Dracula's Castle
  • Music Track: Wandering Ghosts [Music Doc]
  • Match: Stock (1)
  • Conditions: Enemy favors Neutral Special. Hostile Assist Trophies will appear (Alucard).
CoH_Link_Artwork.png
Link (Cadence of Hyrule) (Cadence of Hyrule)
Class: Ace
Type: Primary Neutral
Effect: Easier Perfect Shield
  • Summon with cores from Cadence & Link (A Link Between Worlds)

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Voting for the next new franchise is closed.

Also, the Indie Spirit Event is also closed. Thank you The Fantasy Smasher The Fantasy Smasher for it.

I will be detailing our guidelines for Spirits along with the announcements of our next job. There will be some new rules regarding submitting Spirits so please stay tuned.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ok, the results are in for our next new franchise!

It was neck and neck between four franchises for a while but one eventually came out on top. That being said, it appears that we have a few front runners to keep our eyes peeled for to include in the future. Without further delay...

Ring Fit Adventure @Otoad64 12
Rhythm Heaven @cashregister9 18
Famicon Detective Club Commander_Alph Commander_Alph 6
Mole Mania Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario 4
Dillon’s Rolling Western CheeseAnton CheeseAnton 0
The Mysterious Murasame Castle Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 8
Dragalia Lost @chocolatejr9 5
Astral Chain SharkLord SharkLord 15
Sin & Punishment airConditioner airConditioner 5
Excitebike Janx_uwu Janx_uwu 3
Pandora’s Tower Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto 2
Chibi-Robo! @ahemtoday 12
Custom Robo Paraster Paraster 3
The Legendary Starfy Yiptap Yiptap 1
Mach Rider Honest Slug Honest Slug 3
Advance Wars @Mushroomguy12 11
StarTropics GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 0
Nintendo Labo Jomosensual Jomosensual 3
Joy Mech Fight SmasherMaster SmasherMaster 2

Rhythm Heaven will be our next new franchise to have a representative character. But who is that character exactly? There are many to choose from and a few of these really stand out. From here, we will begin submitting and decision on the Rhythm Heaven rep.

Job #60: Submit a Rhythm Heaven Rep

The series has tons of great characters but what characters would fit best as a character? In addition, we do have several requests from Nintendo regarding our decision:

1) The character must represent the entirety of Heaven Rhythm franchise instead of just their own corner of it.

2) The character must have the potential for a rhythm/sound based moveset/gimmick.

3) Nintendo wants to the character to be surprising for fans so the more out-of-the box it is the better

So, please submit your Rhythm Heaven representative character as well as a quick write up of:

1) Why this character deserves to be the rep

2) Kind of tied with #1, how do they fit in with criteria 1 and 3?

3) What can they bring to the table in terms of a rhythm-based moveset

I also want to mention that Ring Fit Adventure, Astral Chain, Chibi-Robo, and Advanced Wars did very well for themselves and at least one of these is one we may want to include before we conclude the roster. It’s best to keep an eye on them in the future.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Job 60: A Rep for Rhythm Heaven

Hmm.... let's see who would I pick, and I have one in particular:
Marshal_Wii.png

Marshal himself!

He's probably the mascot and face of Fever, while there's the Chorus Kids who were pretty heavily requested due to the infamous Gematsu Leak back in Smash 4 and Karate Joe himself who are popular choices for a rep. I think Marshal should have a slot for Smash.

About move set potential, his many attacks and specials could come from the minigames you play in the series as well having a gimmick where you tap his attacks and moves to the rhythm like in the games would be interesting to see.

And I can picture Cam and Ms. Ribbon cheering for him in the background of stages just like Red the Pokemon Trainer.

Not much, but it's fine.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Rhythm Heaven Rep
Barista
Barista_3DS.png

Barista himself has been a reoccurring character throughout the Rhythm Heaven franchise who (like the name implied) runs a cafe where he gives player hint and advices on how to beat the game or just having a normal chat with him and sometimes help you clear up the current minigame that you are on whenever you failed a bunch of time. The Cafe that he runs also has the option to let the player listen to the game's music or read something. He essentially act as something of a tutor to beginner player despite always interacted with them through disembodied voice and cameo up until Megamix where he revealed who he is behind the counter and also greet the player when starting a new save file to the game, indicated by a line of dialogue about coffee which confirm his role.

Representation wise he is probably the one character that somehow has canonically ever been shown interacting with each game in the series (as he too play the game for you) and even connect them all together in the end credit of Fever where everyone show up to his Cafe in a sequence of cast introduction where he is featured first in the line and second to last before Marshall and his friends.
So it won't be weird to see him pull out an attack that references a certain minigame. Speaking of Minigame, considering that he has been shown to be a bipedal, his way of attacking will be fairly similar to Duck Hunt (summoning characters like the Gunmen to aid them and do animalistic behavior tho Barista is more civil than Duck Hunt), while in the case of Barista this form of attack perfectly encapsulate Rhythm Heaven fast-paced gameplay, especially during the Remix part where minigames constantly switches to form a unique mix of music. On top of that the majority of the attack will activate their sweetspot whenever you sync into the music indicated by an audio cue/jingle whenever you successfully land that but, don't worry, as even if you are not good at it you won't get punished for failing and encourage you to do better just like how Rhythm Heaven will let the player pass to the next minigame with just an average score or compliment the player on what they did good at while also gives advice on what things you should focus on everytime you failed.

He's definitely a surprising character for a Smash inclusion, considering that Smash has been throwing around Chorus Kid and Karate Joe from time to time (and it's basically incharacter to what Smash does to character and series that misses the bus), but he still keep that sense of familiarity to the player who have played the game, his design is pretty basic and neutral that you could mistaken him for another character in the series which crank up the surprise factor even further when they decided to do a reveal trailer.

And also, I'm not forgetting this cool moveset someone made for him:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

The Fantasy Smasher

Smash Cadet
Job 60: Rhythm Heaven Rep

Karate Joe
Karate_Joe_3DS.png

Being a karate master himself, Karate Joe would fit perfectly into smash. His martial arts inspired design could lead to a clever moveset the could be integrated into the game seamlessly. Unlike other characters in the series, Joe is a fighter at heart. Not to mention being one of the first characters you encounter in the series which also makes him one of the most iconic, Karate Joe seems like he would be an easy choice to rep the series.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Job 60: Rhythm Girl
Tap_girl.png

The star of the rhythm game, Tap Trial, and a consistent presence throughout the series (Tap Trial has actually been playble in 3 out of the 4 games and she has otherwise cameoed in the DS game), I'm nominating her due to her whole dancing motif and being enough of a blank slate that it wouldn't be out of the question seeing her pull other items and characters from throughout the series, which I think is the ideal way to represent the series.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Job 60: Chorus Kids
The_Chorus_Kids_Megamix.png

I know that I might be going for the generic pick so to speak, but I do think there's an advantage to that, and I'll get to it in a bit.

So why Chorus Kids specifically?

A.) They're a mainstay of the series. Even being chosen for the cover of the DS release. I feel this is pretty important as this was the first worldwide introduction to the Rhythm Heaven. In comparison, Marshal was introduced in the sequel, and rarely does Smash prioritize sequel poster boys over the originals.

B.) They're generic... and that's good. When it comes to a wacky franchise like this, there's always the temptation for equally wacky characters, but I don't think that can do the series justice. The more specific we go, the less we can represent Rhythm Heaven as a whole as we'll have to conform to a specific archetype. The Chorus Kids, however, can basically just serve as vessels for any Rhythm Heaven content, akin to Game and Watch.

C.) They're represent the series well. This is super important, especially when it comes to these less known franchises. We gotta make sure we can represent what Rhythm Heaven is about. This is what I think holds back Karate Joe. He may fit Smash, but he does a bad job representing Rhythm Heaven, as those unfamiliar with the series will just see Karate fighter and assume action series. I think Chorus Kids represent Rhythm Heaven better in this context. They're a choir, hard to think of a more perfect way to represent a rhythm series.

D.) Misc move set potential. I think having a group of characters, like with the Chorus Kids, could be a fascinating endeavor. Music is often a group effort, and I think the Chorus Kids could be a charming take on that concept. I could imagine the trio working together could make for some interesting move sets. I won't get too in depth, but I think having them change positions (Switching framing stacking up like in my picture to being huddled in a group) could be used in tandem with a Rhythm mechanic, with a stack form being used for bursts while group form could be used for more elegant rhythmic actions for combos and things like that.

Uh... anyways.... ramble over.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I have never played a Rythem Heaven game, so I'm going to abstain from nominating a character. However, for Medusa I would like to suggest her character on screen appearance.

Medusa rises out of dark clouds and her eyes quickly flash red similar to her first appearance in Kid Icraus Uprising: Chapter 1.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I forgot to this before I went to bed but this is the new guidelines for submitting Spirit and Spirit Battles. Previously, we had it open to just about anything as long as it appeared on a Nintendo system. This made sense as we were busy building up our Spirit collection to show off at E3 and, now, we are in a lull. That being said, I’m going to implement a few guidelines that I hope will making submitting Spirits less chaotic but also makes for a more cohesive and consistent style for our database.

Submitting a Spirit/Spirit Battle

1) The Spirit must be from a game that is on a Nintendo system at some point in time.
2) The Spirit must be relevant and important to the series are derived from.
3) While not always required, it’s preferred the Spirit must have artwork to accompany it instead if in-game sprites. Please provide an artwork of the Spirit for our Spirit Team.
4) All Spirits must have the appropriate information regarding their Spirit info and Battle info. This includes type, class, and ability for Spirits and puppet fighter, stage, music, and conditions for the Battles.
5) If submitting a rather obscure, off-the-wall, or particularly controversial Spirit, you may be asked to defend your reasoning as to why it should become a Spirit before it can be approved.

Submission Process

When submitting a Spirit, please submit no more than ten at a time as submitting a whole bunch in one batch is difficult to process quickly.

When submitting, please tag myself or Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku so either one of us can approve or disapprove of the Spirit. Disapproving of the Spirit means they don’t follow with the above guidelines. Failing to get an approval by not pinging us results in that Spirit not getting evaluated. When disapproved, the evaluator will give a reason as to why.

Once approved, it will be added to our Spirit list both in the doc and our Wikia. If disapproved, you may submit a replacement Spirit that fits the above criteria.

Spirit Regulation

We have a great Spirit list but, looking at it, we have a lot of series bloated up with Spirits and other series not so much. We will no longer have a completely open submission process. Instead, we will have both our usual Spirit Theme submissions as well as Task Submissions. Task Submissions are a set of multiple guidelines in submitting a Spirit that we can follow to help make the Spirit List more expansive for every series.

We will still be holding off on adding Spirits until the wikia is up to speed. Once I get the ok, we will begin our Task Submissions.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Quick question, did we ever decide on the flavor text for the blog? I noticed there's placeholders on the wiki, but there aren't any actual quotes. Are those free-to-edit, or is there a team behind them?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Quick question, did we ever decide on the flavor text for the blog? I noticed there's placeholders on the wiki, but there aren't any actual quotes. Are those free-to-edit, or is there a team behind them?
They are free to edit

You sill haven't reclassed the Nitro Squad as a support...
Are you referring to the front page, doc, or wikia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom