• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCLA VII: AVALANCHE - was too good, does no one do shout-outs anymore? WOW

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
Yea boi I was the highest ranking ROB at UCLA =]
Hopefully I made a name for myself tho.
I managed to take out Germ (Amazing Wolf btw)
Lucien (another amazing Wolf and a great Fox)
Hugz haha 2 round was really lucky how the level flipped to my advantage but I still took it =] GG
then Bardull good game man haha

angelspe3d

Smash Journeyman
BLITZ!!!! is my hero!!!
hahaha you and futile are good yo!!!
look forward to playing you guys again (ripn aero)
and i must say is the semi finals when u clutchd it!!! and threw ur controller
TO EPIC!!! hahaha

samdaballer

Smash Ace
193+ people attending this tournament contradicts this statement
OK but how about only a handful of people watching the FINALS according to TGII. Ya about 200 poeple showing up is amazing, all I'm saying is that the community has the power to decide which game will take over the competitive scene. and btw i like brawl and melee about the same. and i appreciate you holding these big *** tournies, i had finals hopefully i can make it next time

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
"193 people at UCLA? This wouldn't have happened in Melee."
-nealdt

And I don't think you went to a lot of Melee tournaments before HugS and Mango started getting good. Finals were always a set between Ken and DSF with the major excitement being the bets on how many games DSF would be able to take before Ken won. No offense to Alex in the slightest.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
yeah, but that speaks to just how ridiculously amazing Ken was, not the lack of entertainment from watching high level matches

i dunno if you mean to suggest futile approaching / sometime becoming ken-like dominant

samdaballer

Smash Ace
ya 193, thats crazy, but i remember chapman where the finals was dsf and mango, im pretty sure, and that was preety intense and a large crowd

Johnny Blitz

Smash Ace
man i wish glen got it on video tape when i barely won on corneria and i pounced on mike haze LAWL three gooood

edit: someone else has the chuck norris avatar.... money match for the chuck norris avatar? =P

emerican

Smash Ace
you guys have no idea how much fun i had playing melee for the last 2 hours of the tourney, LOL

i believe it was Teba's Dedede that tied 7th with hugo.. thought it was kindof funny when glen posts online like "hugo lost to some random metaknight"( A PALMDALE PLAYER LOL ) or how "Palmdale residents get excited over beatofazia's Dedede victory" and its his brother Teba who ***** someone with 3D.

and i dont know if any1 else noticed how FAST that tourney went. 190 people? and still finishing before 11? waay too good.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
That would have NEVER happened with Brawl.

And yes, there was a **** load of people but consider how many people got DQ'ed. The reason why we finished so quickly. Don't get me wrong. Aesis knows how to run tourneys. Everything went smoothly. But still... I mean, Norcal didn't even cheer as much as I thought they would. Hell, the finals were kinda boring...

Also, Hugo was supposed to win UCLA. Brawl ruined everything... !!!

The Game II

Smash Champion
i believe it was Teba's Dedede that tied 7th with hugo.. thought it was kindof funny when glen posts online like "hugo lost to some random metaknight"( A PALMDALE PLAYER LOL ) or how "Palmdale residents get excited over beatofazia's Dedede victory" and its his brother Teba who ***** someone with 3D.
All I do is look right, all of the AV going crazy with BoA at the center, lol

--GCII

LuCKy

Smash Master
jesson/cathy <3 ...but i think i didn't see a lot of people because of you 2 lol

lee puff......you freakin **** lol

boa/teba i can't believe i didn't see you guys o.o

emerican why did you knee me >_>

in-n-out i forgot how good you were lol

mango way to ditch me saturday

psycho ****** ty for the ride ^^ and lol @ your lil laugh thing xD

jenny ....can't believe how funny you are o.o

danny ........eh

neal lol i finnaly paid you back....but make me that badge >_> plzzzz

aeisis ....lol i probably spelled that wrong but you **** for getting this done by 11

dbr you guys ****....lol

david how did you get third?? lol thats stupid

jtb you were there??? o.o

TOFU i got dq'd like a champ.....THATS RIGHT

i'm still tired from this so thats all i feel like doing lol

The Game II

Smash Champion
man i wish glen got it on video tape when i barely won on corneria and i pounced on mike haze LAWL three gooood
Every photo I had when you jumped into mike da pizzle was blurry.

And for those who were talking about how nobody watched the finals, there were a lot of factors. I should have expected nobody to watch, especially if you look at the hometowns of the final seven players.

--GCII

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
And yes, there was a **** load of people but consider how many people got DQ'ed. The reason why we finished so quickly. Don't get me wrong. Aesis knows how to run tourneys. Everything went smoothly. But still... I mean, Norcal didn't even cheer as much as I thought they would. Hell, the finals were kinda boring...
About 5 people got DQed total. And that's after 20 minutes of waiting for them. So they didn't speed UP the tournament, they slowed it DOWN. Don't be such an *** and a moron.

Let's talk about that Cloversmash video. By saying "That would never happen in Brawl", you are saying that Brawl will never have regional rivalries, regional tournaments, tournament series win streaks, or pros who specialize in unique under-played characters. Because that's what I saw in Cloversmash: a local hero (HugS), champion of 3 previous events in the series, playing the pinnacle Samus in the nation against the best-known Luigi who's from a friendly/rival state. The drama comes from:

1. Wanting to see the local player win;
2. Wanting HugS to continue his win streak;
3. Tension with the OOS in the room;
4. An interesting and unique matchup (would it have been as exciting to see Falco dittos or Peach vs ICs? No.);
5. The closeness in player skill.

What of those 5 isn't going to transfer to Brawl?

You guys can make all the anti-Brawl arguments you want, and I even agree with some of them. But at least make them good. Taking UCLA 6's final set between Futile and DSF -- a set we've seen a few times now, with characters that have been dominating the local scene, and at a point in the evening when 3 separate crew battles were going on and being pressured to finish in time, leaving no time for them to stop and watch finals... and then comparing that to UCLA 5's, which had a more developed game, a fairly serious regional rivalry, a huge win streak, a unique matchup, and -- yes -- a more exciting game to watch. I wonder which is going to seem like more fun and a "better" game?

festizzio

Smash Champion
OK but how about only a handful of people watching the FINALS according to TGII. Ya about 200 poeple showing up is amazing, all I'm saying is that the community has the power to decide which game will take over the competitive scene. and btw i like brawl and melee about the same. and i appreciate you holding these big *** tournies, i had finals hopefully i can make it next time
Brawl noobs left right after they lost; Were you there for teams finals? Hella people were watching that.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
I just wanna say GGs to Hostility and SideFX. Our matches were probably the highlight of my day.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
About 5 people got DQed total. And that's after 20 minutes of waiting for them. So they didn't speed UP the tournament, they slowed it DOWN. Don't be such an *** and a moron.

Let's talk about that Cloversmash video. By saying "That would never happen in Brawl", you are saying that Brawl will never have regional rivalries, regional tournaments, tournament series win streaks, or pros who specialize in unique under-played characters. Because that's what I saw in Cloversmash: a local hero (HugS), champion of 3 previous events in the series, playing the pinnacle Samus in the nation against the best-known Luigi who's from a friendly/rival state. The drama comes from:

1. Wanting to see the local player win;
2. Wanting HugS to continue his win streak;
3. Tension with the OOS in the room;
4. An interesting and unique matchup (would it have been as exciting to see Falco dittos or Peach vs ICs? No.);
5. The closeness in player skill.

What of those 5 isn't going to transfer to Brawl?

You guys can make all the anti-Brawl arguments you want, and I even agree with some of them. But at least make them good. Taking UCLA 6's final set between Futile and DSF -- a set we've seen a few times now, with characters that have been dominating the local scene, and at a point in the evening when 3 separate crew battles were going on and being pressured to finish in time, leaving no time for them to stop and watch finals... and then comparing that to UCLA 5's, which had a more developed game, a fairly serious regional rivalry, a huge win streak, a unique matchup, and -- yes -- a more exciting game to watch. I wonder which is going to seem like more fun and a "better" game?

I was talking to forward about this. The main reason things don't "feel the same" in brawl is because there are no real reputations in this game. There's no Ken to beat, there's no Mango to cheer for as he upsets other legendary players, there are no reputations.

The way I see it, for a smash match to be exciting, even in melee, you'd have to either be witnessing an upset or having a huge rivalry unfold. No one is proven enough, aside from just futile and DSF, to even have the potential to take an upset loss. There aren't any rivalries either because even if you were to play OOS or OOR competition, they wouldn't have reputations of their own to make that win worthwhile or that loss a terrible one.

We had 2 equal opponents in Futile vs DSF, but no rivalry and no upset. This leads to an anti-climactic final.

I know that in Melee people weren't all excited about my finals vs DSF or Mango vs HugS after a while for those very same reasons.

The Game II

Smash Champion
For what Hugs said, I think that's what made the team tournament exciting, at least for me, because it was NorCal-SoCal, and I was wondering what Blitz was going to do (no homo).

--GCII

CAOS

Smash Journeyman
LEE PUFF- love you man your my favorite smasher were still 1-1 in friendlies though, and I always got your back like you got myn. ^_^

Lucky- ehh you werent the same with cathy and jesson around -__-

DC- good **** didnt expect you to get 3rd

Mike Haze- thnx for cheering me on some matches it was cool talkin to you

Psycho ******- the only snake that I like... and that thing you do with your eyes is too good lol....O.o

jesson/cathy-ehh

BoA- always pretending we had a match and getting me worried LMAO.. scared of you marth ^_^

HUGO- you got rocked in dittos lol its okay dittos are gay

Wolf- need to get falcon dittos next time

ROMEO- WHERE THE **** WERE YOU????? tourney wouldve been better if you went

Aesis

Smash Ace
UCLA I's Grand Finals with Edrees and HugS had 1 person watching and that was me because I was recording LOL, so... Samus vs Peach is really really dull...

Neal made very valid points as to why the Finals was anti-climactic.
UCLA V's Finals was epic and probably a once in a lifetime experience, probably comparable to Ken's victory over PC Chris at MLG Anaheim; Brawl's been out for almost THREE months... chill out.

It was just really good to see everybody again :)

Sorry about Full results I'ma get that emailed to me soon it wasn't my laptop

Job

Smash Cadet
Well I did better than I expected thank God. GG to all the people I played.

Embracethe12: Even though we had a short friendly, I say you have a good Falco w/o abusing the chaingrab. Did you ever play that match later? O yea, what am I supposed to call you? "Hey 12!" Or the whole thing "Hey Embracethe12!"?

SideFX: Your Metaknight was all over the place man. I was thinking Lylat Cruise but you banned it haha. But playing you I learned some things I could do with Kirby on Green greens, GG.

LMNZ: That was crazy beating Trevyn. The funniest moment was on Lylat Cruise when he got the win with wallspiking you on the last hit of his up+b haha.

SENG: That victory over Asian Lep (sp?) all luck. And title of DK slayer no more haha. Still pretty cool using Marth's up+b at Corneria for the kill.

Psychomidget: I maybe should have used Snake against SideFX haha. But my Snake's not as good as yours.

Connor: That's pretty cool that you beat SideFx with Metaknight dittos.

Aesis: Good tourney, just sometimes based on who was on the mic people would report to them and they never told Neal or you what those people said man. I think that's why some matches took longer to start than others. And it's cool your still sticking with Sheik.

DBR: Finally got to see you guys play live. Germ's wolf is crazy. Love Hella's Sonic. Everytime I would look at Zelgadis play he was at 100+ percent and camping at the edge, kind of wished I saw the whole match but I get called. SideFX of course was good. DSF...okay it's DSF.

65th place was way higher than I thought I was going to be, just didn't want to be 100+. I think I did a good job :). Hope to see you guys at other tourneys.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
WC vs EC would be random characters vs 10 Snakes.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
hey I'm pretty sure I failed my final

yesssssssss this was too good

I just wanted to say I love everyone again, yes homo

futile: you're too cool, i had a lot of fun playing you. never been that happy with a loss haha.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
it was the best set but not the best match

mango vs m2k 7:14 dreamland...

that was the best match ever.

but yeah hugs you **** whats up with that

i'm sure it was a typo and you actually won this one too

The King

Smash Ace
He's some bitter, lost Jigglypuff soul wondering for purpose/attention.

West Coast is just too **** right now, we simply own at this game. You guys know like a total of 3 matchups (snake/mk/DDD), anything more comes from WC youtube vids =P.

West Coast = Best Coast

East Coast = Snake Coast

GG Son King Out

Top Bottom