• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCLA REVIVAL II! Brawl + Melee Tournament (5/23/09) Need more TVs, sign up!

killer tofu

Smash Lord
might go to this instead of connor's cause

1. connor's is about twice as far
how hard is it to bring a ****ing cube?
3. ucla venues are much better than a smelly garage, no offense connor
4. food places are right down stairs, whereas at connor's you have to drive or walk really far and then all you can eat is a sucky kfc (not saying all kfc's suck, just this one) or mcdonald's
5. ????
6. Profit!

but yeah, still trying to decide, but probably this one

connor should push his forward to the 16th so we can have two tournies in one weekend like the good ol' days
He brings up one good point

Goober

Smash Apprentice
Festizzio is a *****.
I don't get you Kouryuu.

People can come to this tournament, or they can go to Connor's. Whichever is closer/cheaper/nicer for them. This is not a all or none competition, I'm not trying to put an end to Connor's tournies or something. I'm trying to host a tournament at my school for a game that I like.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
San Diego is most likely going to Quizno's instead of this...this tourney is pretty short notice imo. Most UCLA Tourneys have a bigger space of time from posting > occurring. I don't know though, people will have to decide. Either way, I get to a brawl tourney. ;)

HugS™

Smash Lord
How is it that we have 3 big tournaments on sunday,

and none on saturday?

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
we'll never get truly good until we can deal with wobbling in tournament. Banning it is the pansy way out.
There's a reason why we play Melee and not Brawl, because we don't encourage excessive camping / infinites. Most people can deal with wobbles, we just chose not to because we'd rather not play overly conservative / defensive.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
I don't get you Kouryuu.

People can come to this tournament, or they can go to Connor's. Whichever is closer/cheaper/nicer for them. This is not a all or none competition, I'm not trying to put an end to Connor's tournies or something. I'm trying to host a tournament at my school for a game that I like.
Dude, don't take EVERYTHING I say so seriously LMAO.

How is it that we have 3 big tournaments on sunday,

and none on saturday?
Uhh Valentines Day.. ?

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
c0nn0rs and Quizno's should both make way for UCLA. I want to do both Melee and Brawl. :3

...but if neither do, I'm going to Quizno's.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
I'm probably moving mine to the 14th and going to this the next day cuz I'm a sad little kid with nothing to do on V-day :*(

Goober

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, do you guys not have President's Day off? Seems to me like monday would be a good day to hold a tourney as well =)

Celph

Smash Journeyman
we'll never get truly good until we can deal with wobbling in tournament. Banning it is the pansy way out.
How would you know about getting truly good? Not even trying to be a ****, but for real. What Zhu said is correct:

There's a reason why we play Melee and not Brawl, because we don't encourage excessive camping / infinites. Most people can deal with wobbles, we just chose not to because we'd rather not play overly conservative / defensive.
I don't know, it's just the principle, you know? $5 is kind of the standard venue fee most people will accept. Anything over that, and the venue had better be freaking amazing in order to justify it. And I 've seen people skip tournaments that they felt were rippoffs because of the venue fee. In short, the community wants to know that you're doing something extra for the community and not just being greedy/ the venue owner isn't just being greedy. This is done to discourage greedy venue owners. But that's just my opinion. :p
Again, you're totally off base. Never in my 2+ years of tourny experience has a tourny allowed a venue fee to be waived if you bring ONE component of a setup, nevertheless get into two events for free if you bring a full setup.

I actually dislike the last one because the pot is going to be a lot smaller as more people bring a setup, which isn't fair to those who place t3 and just kind of marginalizes the tournament anyway.

UCLAs are always huge and should always take first priority because they've proven how consistently awesome they are. You'd be an idiot to attend another tournament before it. Connor can push his small *** tournaments back (not that we don't appreciate them, but come on) and if noobs want to go to Quizno's, **** 'em.

I will be attending this and bringing a setup.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
How would you know about getting truly good? Not even trying to be a ****, but for real. What Zhu said is correct:
Well the fact that only the truly good players were able to beat fly amanita despite wobbling vindicates me a fair bit. I saw Lucky beat fly without playing too campy. He just played smart and didn't get wobbled. Mango also came back after losing and soundly beat him. They win with or without it, so I don't see why people think of wobbling as somekind of gamebreaker or tournament-ruiner, but in the end, I guess I'm in the minority, so do what you gotta do, Goober.

Again, you're totally off base. Never in my 2+ years of tourny experience has a tourny allowed a venue fee to be waived if you bring ONE component of a setup, nevertheless get into two events for free if you bring a full setup.
Yeah, I kind of realize now that I was complaining over nothing. That setup rule actually allows me to save more money than most other tournaments would. Sorry Goober. :ohwell:

Lovage

Smash Hero
Well the fact that only the truly good players were able to beat fly amanita despite wobbling vindicates me a fair bit. I saw Lucky beat fly without playing too campy. He just played smart and didn't get wobbled.

I BEAT FLY WITH WOBBLING LOOK AT ME
:laugh:

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
I will probably be coming to this and bringing a full set-up. (for melee)

EDIT: this includes Wii + Melee + TV + extension cord + power strip

and maybe brawl if you need it i guess

Goober

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys just wanted to clarify something. Yes we will waive venue fee for people who bring just a system, but there is a limit to how many people can do this =/. That limit is pretty much equal to the amount of TVs I have (from people in the school) and TVs people bring that don't have systems already coming with them. Haha no use having a bunch of systems if there's no TV to use them on.

So if you plan to bring a system alone, please post soon! I'll do it first post, first serve. As more people sign up to bring just TVs or I'm able to get more people from school to bring TVs I'll expand the system-only list accordingly.

That makes sense right? Haha I'm posting after pulling an allnighter for a midterm so I'm way out of it right now =/

EDIT: ALSO, the stages/rules are directly carried over from the last UCLA tournies. If you guys all want some changes, please let me know.

∫unk

Smash Master
Hey guys just wanted to clarify something. Yes we will waive venue fee for people who bring just a system, but there is a limit to how many people can do this =/. That limit is pretty much equal to the amount of TVs I have (from people in the school) and TVs people bring that don't have systems already coming with them. Haha no use having a bunch of systems if there's no TV to use them on.

So if you plan to bring a system alone, please post soon! I'll do it first post, first serve. As more people sign up to bring just TVs or I'm able to get more people from school to bring TVs I'll expand the system-only list accordingly.

That makes sense right? Haha I'm posting after pulling an allnighter for a midterm so I'm way out of it right now =/

EDIT: ALSO, the stages/rules are directly carried over from the last UCLA tournies. If you guys all want some changes, please let me know.
u can't stage strike with 6 neutrals...

take pokemon stadium 1 out campy neutrals aren't fun

y a

festizzio

Smash Champion
Wobbling doesn't matter. There's 1 ice climbers player. I don't care either way, really.

I'm bringing a TV + cube + melee

Top Bottom