• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tyr's Lucas Player's Guide

prOAPC

Smash Lord
<3 Youko, he also add the sticky to the video thread
PK Freeze Forced Airdodge
i just had a thought. MK's specials have no lag upon landing because after the attack he is in free fall, the same happens with Ness and Lucas PKT2 if it's aimed just a little above the stage. Can this work too with PK Freeze, i mean full or short hop and use it and cancel it when Lucas lands, or it is the same if you use the PK Freeze in the ground?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I'm betting the lag time is about the same but that's really just a guess.

Thanks for getting this stickied guys. I'm sure it'll be good for the Lucas boards. Hopefully I'll actually get around to finishing it one day too haha.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
^^^
lol random list of Lucas players. Who is Pink Fresh anyway? I have yet to see an oustanding Lucas player.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Yeah really until some Lucas player starts, you know, actually winning a tournament or two I can't say we even have a "best" Lucas player to look up to. I mean look at Captain Falcon. Arguably the worst character in the game but Champ has actually won tournaments with him. He is an outstanding Falcon player. We don't really have that yet. I have yet to be impressed by any Lucas player.

Also I'm sure Pink Fresh is great and all but you can't really say he's one of the best from doing a few Lucas dittos with him on wifi lol. Tournament results are all that really have any credit.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Lol...
Yeah your right
I think the only competitive Lucas is probably Ninja Link
but uses alot of characters...lol...but yeah I get what your saying
we do need at least one Lucas main that wins tournies and has the status of Azen and M2K

Levitas

the moon
um, that's great and all, but the only players with the status of Azen and M2K are Azen and M2K. NONE of the boards that aren't MK and Lucario have someone of that status.

That said, it'd be nice if someone started winning.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i have won a tournament, have good places in others ones and next saturday i'll have the final of a noobish tourney (free for all, all stages and items in high, lol... but a really good price :)). But i'm in Colombia, i don't think that those results count for the tier list

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
^^^
lol random list of Lucas players. Who is Pink Fresh anyway? I have yet to see an oustanding Lucas player.
that almost hurt my feelings lol. then again, how would you know me. i have no vids, tourney results or popular smash friends... crap. i really need to start going to Dk SmAsH's house more often, so i can play Azen, Neo, Boss, and chillin...

Yeah really until some Lucas player starts, you know, actually winning a tournament or two I can't say we even have a "best" Lucas player to look up to. I mean look at Captain Falcon. Arguably the worst character in the game but Champ has actually won tournaments with him. He is an outstanding Falcon player. We don't really have that yet. I have yet to be impressed by any Lucas player.

Also I'm sure Pink Fresh is great and all but you can't really say he's one of the best from doing a few Lucas dittos with him on wifi lol. Tournament results are all that really have any credit.
this is true. you cannot judge me from lucas dittos over wi-fi
1) becuase it is wi-fi
and
2) it only shows experience in 1 matchup, where it could be my only good matchup and i lose to any other character (though that is not the case lol)

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Yeah really until some Lucas player starts, you know, actually winning a tournament or two I can't say we even have a "best" Lucas player to look up to. I mean look at Captain Falcon. Arguably the worst character in the game but Champ has actually won tournaments with him. He is an outstanding Falcon player.
Generally when someone wins a tournament with a ****ty character, it generally means the tournament was filled with scrubs. Like I've won a small scrub tournament with C. Falcon, but if I were to play in my normal atmosphere against some of the best guys in the MW, there's no way in hell I would win. I wouldn't lose to any scrubs but I'm not going to take out seriously good people who use high tier characters.

That being said, I'd like to see who Champ beat in order to win tourneys as C. Falcon.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
^^^
I can't remember which tourneys Champ won. I'm sure there weren't any huge names there but I don't know if it was all scrubs either. I'd have to look.

Not trying to insult you or anything Pink Fresh I just hate when people are like "ZOMG THIS GUY IS THE BEST LUCAS EVER" when it's some scrub who can zap jump and magnet pull. Not saying that's you since I've never seen you play before but I've seen people make comments like that. For all I know you really ARE the best Lucas player. But yeah. Vids or it didn't happen. That's why I don't make any claims either.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Not trying to insult you or anything Pink Fresh I just hate when people are like "ZOMG THIS GUY IS THE BEST LUCAS EVER" when it's some scrub who can zap jump and magnet pull. Not saying that's you since I've never seen you play before but I've seen people make comments like that. For all I know you really ARE the best Lucas player. But yeah. Vids or it didn't happen. That's why I don't make any claims either.
haha ya i know what you mean. i don't have any videos of me playing, so if i were to claim i'm good or even the best, i would just be CLAIMING i'm the best without proof. Which IMO doesn't make much sense. i've been trying to get to tournaments but i can't travel out of maryland so, it is not much i can do, except wait for things like critical hit and cyberden and little scrub tourney's. BTW i always wanted to see how good your Lucas is. From the guides that you've typed you seem very knowledgable about the character, though of course knowledge=/=skill.

Noraa

Smash Lord
=[ i wasnt mentioned.....

Iv gotten top 10 in the east coast over 4 times and top 15 after that.....

il just go back into the corner

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master

well only one person was asked. if you were to ask me, i probably wouldn't have said any of those people mentioned because i hadn't seen them. point being that he may not have seen you play before, so he may not know how good you are. from what i hear you are good, but i haven't seen you play, so i can't judge that. then again, you do have tourney results, so you may be legit.

EDIT: sorry, not only one person was asked, but only one person responded.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master

top 10 doesn't mean anything unless there are a lot of good people there.

Noraa

Smash Lord
Bowyer

top 10 was

azen
neo
forte
chu
kaizer
slick
echo
valor
me

i dunno but they seem like good people? n thats not in order

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
No the guide is not finished. I'm just busy and have little motivation.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol I'll finish eventually. Just don't expect it terribly soon.

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Great tutorial. Lots of neat stuff in here I didnt see before. My Lucas is definately an offensive Lucas. I can combo really well. Anyway thanks for this. :]

ChrisTheCom

Smash Cadet
Really thorough guide to using Lucas, great work.

The only other technique I can think of, because its not so much as a technique but a level specific side effect (if it can even be called that), is U smash and D smash lagging. Its just using one of these smashes intentionally on breakable terrain, like the columns on Luigi's mansion, or on Skyworld, and taking advantage of the lag between hits that seems to extend the number of frames that the attack is out for. It can catch approaching players offguard, especially when they are already anticipating a punishment when the move ends. Has the same sort of split second freeze as Zelda's Fair. Off course its VERY situational.

Veril

Frame Savant
Great guide (in progress). I think it might help to add a list of what can be absorbed with Psi-M somewhere (doesn't matter if its in another thread... idk if it is... it should be a part of a comprehensive guide). A lot of it is really obvious but still, good to know.

Here goes:

Bowser and Charizard's neutral b (flame)
All of Lucas and Ness' specials
The space animal blasters
Din's Fire
DDD waddle doo beams
ICs Blizzard
Lucario's Aura Sphere and Force Palm (maybe someone doesn't know that)
Mario/Luigi fireballs
Pika's Thunderjolt and thunder
Pit's stupid arrow nonesense
Robs Robo Beam
Samus' charge shot
Zamus' paralyzer shot

Levitas

the moon
ZSS's dsmash, the list goes on. There's a list on AiB (which is down) that has everything that can be absorbed, but it's generally pretty intuitive, with the exception of things like ZSS's downsmash and force palm.

Iwan

Smash Ace
It should be edited that to live as long as possible, you do not airdodge immediately and then jump. Instead, do Lucas' fastest aerial, then jump. Doing an aerial first allows you to regain your momentum back faster and, in turn, you can jump quicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njcYW0rFmUg

I would assume either dair or Uair are lucas' fastest aerials right?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
^^^
Oh God. I hadn't seen that video. ****. This is going to take all sorts of testing to sort out.

Well I'll start by saying that Lucas's fastest aerials take the same amount of time as his airdodge according to the testing I did on this a long time ago. Dair is bad because it takes a long time but good vertically because you fast fall it. I'm going to look into fast falling other aerials to see if that is more effective for diagonal upward trajectories which I'm guessing it is. I'll also have to look more carefully into his specials. Oh, also Uair sends him slightly downward which kills you earlier horizontally. So as it stands, Fair and Nair can be used interchangably with airdodging for Lucas when hit horizontally. It seems like the video is saying you should fast fall aerials when hit horizontally which really doesn't make sense to me because going downward more would cause you to die earlier? Blastzones are furthest away in the corners so basically you should be aiming for there.

Vertically I need to look into other aerials such as most likely a fast falled Uair to possibly save a few percentage. I'll get back to you.

This is going to be a pain in the *** to test. **** you, Iwan and your youtube video.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i have a question.
let's say that DK hits me with side be, and i travel in the direction showed in the video, the best way to recover is DI+fair as soon as i can+jump+magnet pull???
I usually save my second jump for the zap jump or avoid being gimped, is that bad?
And after the jump, if i use magnet pull (pk fire+psi magnet), do i get that evil boost?

Top Bottom