• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tyr's Lucas Player's Guide

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to playing Michigan. Especially Lain after learning the IC's basically by watching him. But the top ten thing is a seperate criteria for a reason. You don't have to get top ten in a tournament with 100 people in it. You just have to get top ten somewhere. Plus you only listed like 6 people that are really good there Levitas. And I'm somewhat skeptical about some of those names as to how good they are at Brawl.

Also, only one person has submitted anything about Lucas character info/ Mother 3 history (thanks Paranoid Drone.) So if anyone else has a submission they should write something up. I'm probably going to have that and then a short section on why you should play Lucas.

If anyone feels like there is anything else missing from this guide at the moment besides character matchup info, please let me know.

Levitas

the moon
top ten doesn't actually make sense, you know. 9th means 9-12.

I'm not whining about the placement requirement. I both don't care if I'm in, and don't believe myself to be a good enough player to not insult lucas by being among the best lucas players.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Hmm yeah you're right...didn't think about that. Oh well. Probably better to just scrap the idea at this point. Not worth the trouble.

I just added character matchup information starting with Marth. If you see any glaring errors or feel like there's something really important that needs to be added let me know.

Irsic

Smash Ace
I've...been there.

You don't know me. o_O

I've played Anther before, and got him down to his last stock (not a JV), who is very arguably Michigan's best player, and he can also vouch for my skill. I can compete. I'm not saying I'm better, I'm just saying I can compete.

Levitas

the moon
I'm not sure you understand. I AM sure that this is a pointless conversation at this point, since neither side will budge. Therefore this conversation is at a close.

Next time you plan on going to a tournament, let me know.

S.D

Smash Master
Everyone loves to have their ego stroked no?

As far as the 'hall of fame' idea it's pretty hard to set a criteria. For instance I fill out that criteria easily enough but since I'm from Australia people are likely to look down on me, spit on me etc etc

So region specific, so political. You could just put in some really sexy Lucas vids regardless of player and leave them unnamed or some such idk.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Matchup info on ROB. Probably the two matchups I'm most familiar with right now. Next will probably be Olimar or Ike or something that I know really well. Once I have a good number I'll start organizing them by tier.

c3gill

Smash Ace
really like what your doing with the characters at the end of this guide, Tyr. Its very nice, and im sure when finished will be a very good character guide. Thanks for doing it!

Irsic

Smash Ace
Nice. It would be nice too if we could get like 2 - 3 videos of Lucas' against that character in each match up showing what to do, and what not to do.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I dunno. I've thought about it. The difficulty is that videos of matchups will show a variety of good things as well as a variety of bad things. No one plays a perfect game. Also there's the simple fact that while some techniques and strategies will work against one particular player, they may fail entirely against another. Posting videos of "how to fight ROB" or any other character would inevitably create large discrepancies between what I say and what actually ends up working or not working.

This guide is roughly based off of CunningKitsune's Fox guide with modifications to hopefully increase its longevity and usefulness. I followed the basic structure of his guide with changes to hopefully make it significantly more user friendly (such as keeping individual sections as brief as possible.) In the same way, I'm attempting to make the character matchup section both easy to use and effective for as long as possible. This means avoiding broad statements or specific situational advice as much as possible so that as the metagame develops, as it undeniably will in one way or another, the guide will remain accurate. A video of a specific Lucas player against a specific ROB/Marth etc. player would inherently be a detriment to the guide's longevity as it will contain specific situations which will doubtless become obsolete with time and even location.

That's why the matchup section is structured the way it is. I'm already having major second thoughts about the general strategy part of it since it's such a broad piece of advice that doesn't take a lot of individual game factors into account. I might scrap it. We'll see.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Just put some percentage and ending combo info for Ftilt lock against walls. Pretty situational but good to know for racking up damage. Hope it helps.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Great stuff Tyr
Ftilt wall locking sounds better than dtilt wall locking and causes more damage
I'll check this out more

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Dtilt wall locking is escapable. Ftilt is inescapable at the right percentages and guarantees a Fsmash or grab if you do it right.

I've done it on Rainbow Cruise and Delfino a lot.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Preface finished. I think it makes it look a little bit more friendly. It'd be cool to get screenshots for all of the moveset at some point but I'm not entirely sure how I would go about doing that. If anyone knows an easy way or would do it for me that'd be awesome.

Thanks to ParanoidDrone for getting me a short Lucas bio without spoilers.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Whoops, yeah, I was supposed to get snapshots of Lucas' moves a long time ago, actually. :laugh:

I can get some of 'em if ChaosTheoryX doesn't wanna hafta do all the work.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
as for the ATs, make som gif animations like the one in your signature :D
This might take a while lol. Since I dont have my own recording equipment the GIFs will have to wait till after Wednesday.

Edit: If somebody wants to do the screenshots I can take care of all the AT's that would require a video and turn em into GIFs. Might take me a while though (actually might not take me too long since spring break is next week =D)

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I'm more worried about screenshots of the moves. My understanding was that there was a video being made that will include AT's and all that junk that I could just put a link to. I forget who was making it. The one that quotes my guide and stuff...

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
I'm more worried about screenshots of the moves. My understanding was that there was a video being made that will include AT's and all that junk that I could just put a link to. I forget who was making it. The one that quotes my guide and stuff...
*cough*

the release date is April 1st and no its not an April fools joke.

Veril is also making a video, but his is for the advanced Lucas players.
my video is what All Lucas players (new and old) should know. its pretty much a visual guide.
in the description box, i'll put a link to this thread.

:094:

prOAPC

Smash Lord
you are so mean :(
YK made an AT guide too
i'm waiting for Veril's

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
Tyr, I think you should avoid the huge wall of blue text that is the Table of Contents. I think there should be better options out there for separating text and maybe include 5 character codes to control+F by. Just a suggestion.

There is only one good Lucas player that deserves to be in a Hall of Fame; and personally, I don't think we should congratulate Florida anymore than it deserves (I'm looking at you, Galeon.)

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Probably a good idea about the table of contents. I shortened it somewhat. Not sure if I should delete anything else out of it. I want people to be able to read through it and be able to find what they want still.

Galeon placed extraordinarily well at one tournament. I do think this is to be congratulated. But let's wait for a repeat until we give too much credit. He's probably one of the best Lucas players in the country but it's a bit early to be giving him that much praise.

It'd be sweet if we got some Lucas representation at Genesis to see the different regions stack up. There's a small chance I'll be going.

Top Bottom