• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twin Christmas Parties 3+4 Mafia {The Matryoshka Scandal.} ~ Over! Who had the merriest Christmas? Who got lumps of coal?

BarDulL

Town Vampire
What about me, July?

Arghhhh no one gives me enough credit. -_-

*stomps off*

I will devour all of your souls for my revenge.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Circus, why couldn't you be town? Why could I be right about one aspect of your claim but wrong on another? That PM I sent you was Heart-felt, man.

Which one of you decided to kill me? :mad:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I'd have to reread the QT to remember, if I'm honest (it was seriously two months ago! That's how long this game took, guys!). I'm pretty sure it wasn't me.

It was probably OS.

July

Smash Apprentice
What about me, July?

Arghhhh no one gives me enough credit. -_-

*stomps off*

I will devour all of your souls for my revenge.

Lol I'm not gonna lie, I kinda skimmed the last...a lot of pages so I'm not quite sure what your role is, but I know you were fun to watch, you had a lot of strong points late in the game, and you also remained invested in the game. Also you were included in the part where I said I love all you guys, duh :p

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Sorry Soup, I'll make it up to you and everyone else when I come back from my break.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I am literally dying while reading the mafia quick topic. OS, bro, there's this thing called spontaneity. Planning a decade in advance what someone will do will never work unless your name is Batman or Ozymandias; human beings are far too complex to accurately predict exactly how they'll operate every step of the way. We're constantly evolving with each and every experience and, assuming I have at least half a brain, which I'm certain I do, I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH 'CAUSE I'VE NEVER CHECKED, but assuming I do have a brain, then the likelihood of me meeting to your expectations to a tee is astronomically small. Secondly, you don't give me nearly enough credit; I've been playing around with Yomi for centuries. Thirdly, what da faq, I don't do what you want me to do and suddenly I'm "not a strategic thinker?" I was reading you as scum! Why should I even bother reading your walls, lmfao. That was kind of a joke. But in all seriousness, I'm not going to "play into your strategy" if I don't trust you. That's basic mafia 101 right there.

Shoutouts in a bit.
You're a fool. Reading how people will react is a simple and necessary part of the game and when you have an overwhelming informational advantage in addition to being good at reading people, you can read them far in advance.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
You're a fool. Reading how people will react is a simple and necessary part of the game and when you have an overwhelming informational advantage in addition to being good at reading people, you can read them far in advance.
You realize you have to be the mentalist to plan out an entire day of social interaction, right? For what it's worth, he never successfully planned out everything I was going to do; he never came close. He was excessively overconfident in his ability to predict every one of my actions.

OS is a perty knowledgeable guy, but he's not the mentalist. Not Ozymandias.

I don't even think there's a single person in this forum that has that degree of social expertise. Only a handful of people in the world could possibly predict an entire day phase exactly as it would happen and to a tee before it actually plays out.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
And now that the game REALLY IS over I can comment :D

I've gotta say thanks for having me in the game even if I had to duck out around Thanksgiving Nabe: I felt like a super-genius being the one to figure out the theme and out it for town. I hope it really helped everyone in the long run. I feel like the fact I'm the one who eventually pegged it is especially ironic... because as I think Nabe knows I was probably the most flabbergasted by how the hell present opening worked when we started. (and based on his running commentary: did NOT think that outing the theme was a smart thing to do lol... and he has a point that I didn't wait until I heard my own role first, but beyond that I had no real way of knowing who it would benefit most and assumed town since we had the majority of people (and thus potentially the most knowledge to be gained): but mod has mod knowledge that that isn't true. It apparently didn't get my slot killed either though: so suck it lol)

Anyways, I hope you (Nabe) don't see it too badly on me for reacting the way I did. You hit the nail on the head when you said I was so excited to have found the theme I basically just wanted to shout about it. It's no secret I joined this game almost entirely for the speculative game involved in deducing a theme and was absolutely ecstatic when I was the one out of many to put all the difference pieces together first. It felt like the puzzle gods shined down upon me and granted me my one true wish in the game. When you put it in stark black and white it was probably a stupid action to out it so fast, but c'est la vie. (though looking through ALL the things that transpired this game during the nights, icluding multiple alighnment shifts... I think outing the theme may have been the least of it lol)

I'm glad it seems like my replacement did well in the slot too, especially because I had no idea how to play the role I got in particular beyond just be me and hope things worked out for the best. (I mean seriously, I'm not sure there's a really particular "good way" to play an Acetic Doctor Enabler). I have the sneaking suspicion that despite me figuring out the theme if I had remained there may not have been enabled doctors as long as there were here lol...

EDIT: I am wondering what would have happened had I not guessed correctly though, I never did get to figure out what my present opening strategy would have done: "Listening for gift hints from parents"

EDIT2: Now I really want to know what

"Oh my gog go g oh my god gog odgcd ogd god godg **** **** gcufcuif cxfruc

ohhhhhhhh myyyyyyy fuuuuuuuuuuckkkkk

gog og og **** **** cuf cxjguif **** oh ughughu uggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sh it **** **** guck duck

fuc kin WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW"

From Swords was for...

Kantrip

Kantplay
I am proud of my post-revival play. I recall coming into the game swinging with J and OS scum accusations, being indecisive in the J vs Circus (because I thought J/Ran AND Circus/OS were scummy pairs and couldn't pick the right one between them [turns out I would've been right either way and killing all 4 of em would've been cool]). I bingo'd Kary and was scumreading PJB. Unfortunately after J/Ran flipped scum my qualms with Circus seemed to evaporate but I'm proud that I consistently stuck to OS and tried to drill into people's heads how imperative killing him after Kary was (that would've been his faction right there). My paranoia of Swords was kind of silly but it wasn't concrete at all, and other than that and faltering off of Circus scum, I think my reads were pretty damn good.

Nabe/Le Bateleur, this setup was fantastic, thank you so much for inviting me and hosting the game! There was obviously a lot that went into this, and I think it was pretty balanced considering we managed a 3-way tie! :p

Overswarm, with the cards you were dealt this game and the rollercoaster ride you were sent on, I must say you did a damn fine job of navigating. While I can't say your play was townie, something about you kept people away from ousting you when so many facets of your role lent towards your demise. I really ****ed up with playing as you in your DGames Mafia, but damn you really are unlynchable even when you couldn't be more scummy. Props to you and your planning, man.

Circus, you are kind of the opposite side of the spectrum for playing well. Your play was actually quite townie from what I observed (so mostly from when I came back into the game onwards). Your debacle with J was well played-out and I found myself looking at a lot of your posts and saying "yup, that reasoning checks out". I'm sure I'm not the only player who was scumreading you at one point and then was completely flip-turned upside down from your stellar postulating into a townread on you. Well played good sir.

Sworddancer. Well hey there townbud. I really liked bouncing things off of you and playing with you again. You played a great obvtown game, were smart with your role (albeit you were a bit careful with checking and double checking and doubts started finding their way in where they shouldn't have. Not that checking and double checking is bad, I mean your caution is definitely something I appreciated at times [and boy do I know about screwing up a role by being too cautious with results *grumble grumble britches and hose*]), and kept a level head. Good **** mang.

Bardull, another townbro! Always entertaining to play with you. Whether we're bickering with each other or trying to smack some sense into the rest of the players, it's always good times. Bouncing ideas off of you was fun too, and as far as I'm concerned you played pretty townie as well.

Kary, you definitely could've played the game out better after your recruitment. I realize it was probably quite a shot to your morale to change your alignment like that, then to have a guilty on you on top of it, but I'm kind of disappointed in how you played afterwards nonetheless. Whether you liked it or not, you had a new win-condition and partner whom you had to work with and it was pretty unfair that you just gave up like you did (even if you somehow stayed alive, although that wasn't by work of your own I can assure you). Before I investigated you, you were only a question mark to me rather than an actual scumread. Which is why I investigated you over Overswarm. This does say that you were doing something right in your play, and I think you could've played it out. I'm kind of curious about the fakeclaim you used since it wasn't one where you could maintain the facade after being targeted (to my knowledge at least), but yeah, don't give up like you did and you've got some good play bro!~

PrivateJoker-Brown, you gotta be more proactive mang! The main reason people grew to dislike your slot was because you were only responding when people incriminated or addressed you, and you did it in such an aggressive fashion, too. There weren't many cases where you were giving things on your own which would've helped a lot more (although in the end you got screwed by ex-partners executing you anyways). Props for lasting as long as you did though!

J (with a side of Ran), I am really glad you revived me, so thanks for that first off. At the same time, that move probably wasn't the best decision when you weren't prepared to defend the choice with good reasoning and it ended up hurting you. Your claim shenanigans with Ran were pretty deep and intense, it's just a shame you guys didn't really sort that out amongst yourselves a bit better. But HA HA HA HA HA you guys are the losers! :p

JTB. Activity :( Your role was helpful once you were proven town and you're a cool guy. I liked being scum with you and stuff. Stay classy.

soup, even though you were gone by the time I got back, I'm giving you one of these too to say GODDAMMIT MAN! Why you gotta shoot me like that! You always scumread me! Always! :C (I love you man, nohomo)

Apologies if this post was a bad decision, I'm really tired as I write this but can't sleep. Thought I'd do some shoutouts for people I remember playing with and stuff. You're all awesome people (yes Ryker, even you) and I hope to keep getting better so I can play in your leagues. :)

pce and :pikachu:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I also wanna say that this is easily, by an extremely wide margin, the best and most fun game I've played in. I can honestly say that I'm a better player for having participated in this game.

OS, it was a blast watching you in action from behind the scenes. I'm honestly in awe. I'm also a little salty about you killing me, but oh wells. You had the whole game under your thumb, whether everyone wants to admit it or not.

Circus, sorry for kind of letting you down :( I know we still technically got the W, and you probably don't really care, but I'm mad at myself for not just hammering Kary when I had the chance. I second guessed myself on that decision over and over again, and in the end I took the lazy route by trusting OS. Never again. Would definitely scum together again.

[collapse="and that J case was like"]
[/collapse]

Swords, as much fun as it was being scum with these fuggin pros, I think watching you in action as town taught me the most. You were sniffing at my heels practically the whole game, and the only reason I got away was because OS and Circus had the rest of the town so distracted, and it was easy for me to lump you in with all the other far less legitimate pushes against my slot. Every post you made about me was an eye opener, real talk. I now feel like I have a much better idea of what to avoid in my scum game, and what to look for in my town game.

Everybody, it was great playing with you all! The caliber of this playerlist was honestly pretty daunting. If I did well this game, it's because I truly felt I had to go all out just to compete. Thanks for being great, guys.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
The learning experience was shared PJB. Not only did this game remind me that I need to JUST go after my scum reads more, but I feel that it also helped refine my ability to read people.

It always makes my glad to hear that someone learned something from me. I'm glad that you're taking things away from this game PJB. :)

Also, I hope that I not only gave you a lesson onto what to avoid as scum, but also a lesson onto how to scumhunt! Since you'll be town the majority of the time, this will be a very useful skill to have, I guarantee it.

---

Might do shout outs and set up thoughts later, but tbh I don't really feel it right now. Regardless, this game was a rollercoaster of a ride, and I'm definitely glad that I played in it. GGs everyone!

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
And at the end of the day, I'm just annoyed that nobody realized I COULDN'T have protected OS Night 1 because WE DIDN'T HAVE OUR ROLESSSSS. Or maybe I could have by then. Idk.

Either way I'm sad because unless I was poisoned (haven't checked) I would've been BP if I hadn't protected. :(

:phone:

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
"Oh my gog go g oh my god gog odgcd ogd god godg **** **** gcufcuif cxfruc

ohhhhhhhh myyyyyyy fuuuuuuuuuuckkkkk

gog og og **** **** cuf cxjguif **** oh ughughu uggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sh it **** **** guck duck

fuc kin WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW"

From Swords was for...
My response to not only J flipping indie lovers, but J flipping indie lovers with the flavor he had.

This was a PM that I sent to Nabe shortly after Day 5 had ended.

Also, thanks for hosting Nabe! You recruit loving, crazy Canadian! :)

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Yea dude, you really should have hardbodied me more. The only reason I kept playing nothing but defense was because it was working. Every time somebody came at me with something, I just had to slap it down as hard and fast as possible, and it generally got dropped right away. I thought it was gonna bite me in the *** late game, but we had already killed all the Non-Ascetic townies, so the loss of my poison wouldn't have been too bad. Plus the fact that so many of everyone's points against me were so silly, it generally made it very easy to group them all together, and make people think I was just new, and misunderstood.

Honestly, just the fact that I actually got to play as scum has done a lot for helping me see better how scum might think in certain situations. All my games up til now have been town, and I feel like I've been pretty lost when it comes to reading people's intent. It's a lot easier, now, for me to see how somebody can set themselves up for the long game, as opposed to just trying to get whatever mislynch they can every day.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
And at the end of the day, I'm just annoyed that nobody realized I COULDN'T have protected OS Night 1 because WE DIDN'T HAVE OUR ROLESSSSS. Or maybe I could have by then. Idk.

Either way I'm sad because unless I was poisoned (haven't checked) I would've been BP if I hadn't protected. :(

:phone:
The theme was out D1. You got a new guess N1, so you could have guessed it, gotten your role, and used it.

BTW, i lied about not knowing my role D1. Pretty much the whole day, I knew I was a scummer. I just hung onto my guesses and used them when people had outed guarantees for how to advance the presents. When Chuckie outted the Tarot cards, and got me to layer 3, that's when I got access to the QT (which was on layer 2) where I found OS waiting for me. Once Jdietz outted the rest of the theme, I got my role PM, and found out Circus was our last membe, who didn't join us in the QT until N1. That night, when OS got his full role PM, his safe claim was a role whose only power was "You know there's a role in the game with the words 'Mafia Traitor' in it." So we spent a few days trying to figure out who our traitor was.

The fake role OS used in game was totally made up by him, and Circus managed to find him a character who fit it perfectly flavorwise later on, kudos to them. Circus and I actually traded safeclaims. I didn't wanna get busted for having a gender discrepancy in my claim... which almost happened anyway. Plus I actually was ascetic, which ended up being golden looking when Bardull claimed an identical role who was also ascetic. My fake being an investigator also worked better for Circus, since he was actually going around investigating people anyway. We really struck gold when he stalked J. As soon as he got that result, we immediately started saying **** like "this will be golden if J's claim doesn't match up, and Circus is able to call bull**** on him." and then later on... booya!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You realize you have to be the mentalist to plan out an entire day of social interaction, right? For what it's worth, he never successfully planned out everything I was going to do; he never came close. He was excessively overconfident in his ability to predict every one of my actions.

OS is a perty knowledgeable guy, but he's not the mentalist. Not Ozymandias.

I don't even think there's a single person in this forum that has that degree of social expertise. Only a handful of people in the world could possibly predict an entire day phase exactly as it would happen and to a tee before it actually plays out.
I really think you need to read the mafia quick topic and compare the dates to when it was during the game. I planned nearly every facet of the game I could with the information provided and it gave scum clear paths to go down; even when surprised, we had already primed town to go down certain avenues and away from others.

Know why Circus and myself weren't ever actual scum suspects? Because PJB was our scum suspect after Day 3 started, and we just knew to protect him with force while moving town a different direction.

Even with all your bluster towards Circus, no one moved an inch because we said "no".

Spontaneous actions are a detriment to all alignments. Yeah, you were difficult to control but you also weren't a threat. The only time you were actually a problem was when it was me/kary vs. circus vs. swords/you, and that was only because we had planned on having Swords in lylo and had already buddied up on him and Circus was against me.

Think of it this way:

If I hadn't been recruited, you would have made 0 impact on this game. None. We would have won and you would have had a confused look on your face and then congratulated yourself on finding Circus was scum... yet never being able to do a thing about it, because instead of priming town and putting Circus into the limelight you took the non-strategic position of "he's scum because I think so".

If you've got a night result, sure, just come out and throw it to town. But when you just have a gut read, those are things you build upon.

And it wasn't just me predicting things, by the way. While I'm pretty good at it as scum, I'm not the only one that does it. Circus and PJB both had their fair share of "if we do X then Y will happen" and it did.

Prediction is the name of the game and it's how you play scum. As far as you're concerned, I am Ozymandias.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yea dude, you really should have hardbodied me more. The only reason I kept playing nothing but defense was because it was working. Every time somebody came at me with something, I just had to slap it down as hard and fast as possible, and it generally got dropped right away. I thought it was gonna bite me in the *** late game, but we had already killed all the Non-Ascetic townies, so the loss of my poison wouldn't have been too bad. Plus the fact that so many of everyone's points against me were so silly, it generally made it very easy to group them all together, and make people think I was just new, and misunderstood.

Honestly, just the fact that I actually got to play as scum has done a lot for helping me see better how scum might think in certain situations. All my games up til now have been town, and I feel like I've been pretty lost when it comes to reading people's intent. It's a lot easier, now, for me to see how somebody can set themselves up for the long game, as opposed to just trying to get whatever mislynch they can every day.
Just a forewarning: Circus and myself are both pretty good scum players and most don't play like we did.

We worked together and each had our own "style" to our own and we notified each other when we'd be going inactive for strategic reasons and knew when to pass the ball or to stay back so that way suspicion didn't linger on any of us for too long, and we were all willing to risk ourselves to save another scum mate. This is rare teamwork, most of the time it will be people trying to play as a mafia all-star and get you killed, then themselves killed later.

THAT is why you shouldn't listen to what a scummate says 100% of the time. They can be wrong and you have to be able to know when to trust your own judgement. Don't worry about the recruiting of scum thing; I doubt you'll run into that again. But when Circus and I are both going head to head saying "lynch/don't lynch kary", the lazy way is to just trust the status quo (me at that point). It'll make you stronger as a player to just say "Well given what we know, I think I'll have to side with (player)" after your own research.

Not to say that you always have to be the "Chief". Indians are important too, and our ability to back off when someone else was doing the leg work is what made our scum team work. If I had come in guns blazing with Circus was pounding on J (I wouldn't, I was indy, but I wouldn't as mafia either) I would probably have ruined the lynch and associated Circus and myself too strongly to have us live very long. That would have resulted in suspicion on all 3 of our slots, costing us the game. Just that one action!

You played very well and I think the few mistakes you made you won't make again. Don't listen to the people saying "you should have been proactive"; I was the proactive one, you were the reactive one, and Circus was our floating powder keg who just randomly came in with an explosion of awesome. It worked, and it worked because you had backup. Circus and I were good enough to not be associated too strongly with you after defending you and able to keep other town wagons available (I laugh at how long you were teh "#2 lynch") and you knew exactly how to just dismiss a case against you and move on. You played well.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I really think you need to read the mafia quick topic and compare the dates to when it was during the game. I planned nearly every facet of the game I could with the information provided and it gave scum clear paths to go down; even when surprised, we had already primed town to go down certain avenues and away from others.

Know why Circus and myself weren't ever actual scum suspects? Because PJB was our scum suspect after Day 3 started, and we just knew to protect him with force while moving town a different direction.

Even with all your bluster towards Circus, no one moved an inch because we said "no".

Spontaneous actions are a detriment to all alignments. Yeah, you were difficult to control but you also weren't a threat. The only time you were actually a problem was when it was me/kary vs. circus vs. swords/you, and that was only because we had planned on having Swords in lylo and had already buddied up on him and Circus was against me.

Think of it this way:

If I hadn't been recruited, you would have made 0 impact on this game. None. We would have won and you would have had a confused look on your face and then congratulated yourself on finding Circus was scum... yet never being able to do a thing about it, because instead of priming town and putting Circus into the limelight you took the non-strategic position of "he's scum because I think so".

If you've got a night result, sure, just come out and throw it to town. But when you just have a gut read, those are things you build upon.

And it wasn't just me predicting things, by the way. While I'm pretty good at it as scum, I'm not the only one that does it. Circus and PJB both had their fair share of "if we do X then Y will happen" and it did.

Prediction is the name of the game and it's how you play scum. As far as you're concerned, I am Ozymandias.
I'm just going to respectfully agree to disagree here, but I'll admit that you're not bad at selling polished dog turd. It'll never work on me though. :smirk:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Reading that Daein quick topic makes me feel evil.

OS said:
Attack his weaknesses.

1. Bring up his "black knight" quotes; they are totally normal Rajam play regardless of alignment and make sense from his background (my games), but others won't see it that way. Frozen Flame will agree with you on this.

2. Rajam has English as a second language. As such, he has a harder time putting things into context... especially chronological context. Since it takes more effort for him to do so, it makes it easier for him to "slip" or seem scummy. Quote things from varying times and make sure to mix up at least two of them chronologically and it will increase the chances of him slipping.

3. Again, Rajam has English as a second language. He's very good at it, but he can seem scummy when he isn't. Really prey upon his poor explanations and ask him to clarify as often as possible. What in reality is just him clarifying the best he can seems like a scummy person floundering. Use this to your advantage.

4. Rajam is good at taking hard left turns in his play. He is probably the most likely in this game to look at something again after town decides something. Because of this, you can frame conspiracy theory posts in a subtle light and he is the most likely to pick up on it and say "Now that could be true" even if you state "this obviously isn't true".

To use #4 effectively, post something that would clear him, but then say that it doesn't.
Sheesh.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Overswarm predicted you would be upset Bardull. All his comments are actually pre-typed in a QT he linked to me from last year and he's just C/P'ing his responses to it. Yes Bardull, he knew you would join this game before you even /in'd. And he also knew that this very argument would happen over this very game that Nabe hadn't even conceived, yet Overswarm knew this game would happen before Nabe had even been conceived. He's that good.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
2. Rajam has English as a second language. As such, he has a harder time putting things into context... especially chronological context. Since it takes more effort for him to do so, it makes it easier for him to "slip" or seem scummy. Quote things from varying times and make sure to mix up at least two of them chronologically and it will increase the chances of him slipping.

3. Again, Rajam has English as a second language. He's very good at it, but he can seem scummy when he isn't. Really prey upon his poor explanations and ask him to clarify as often as possible. What in reality is just him clarifying the best he can seems like a scummy person floundering. Use this to your advantage.
I'm assuming you went off to burn an orphanage and puppy farm after this?

Top Bottom