• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twin Christmas Parties 3+4 Mafia {The Matryoshka Scandal.} ~ Over! Who had the merriest Christmas? Who got lumps of coal?

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
you probably don't listen to a damn thing I say

I can probably deal with you more or less slandering me for whatever reasons

i'm just going to leave it.

someone actually wants to ask me questions about my role/how I played, work away.

Otherwise, peace.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I play rather erratically because sometimes it's the best way to get reads on people. If I just sit back and let things run their course, then chances are dumb things will happen, like Rajam/Chuckie/RR's lynch. Like, all of those lynches were just awful. SOMEONE needs to just get wild and do something that people can interpret and act upon, otherwise everyone's just being too damn safe while the typical influential players run the show.

And yeah, although I doubt the game can actually progress past this point, it's probably better to just wait for Nabe before posting. :p

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I play rather erratically because sometimes it's the best way to get reads on people. If I just sit back and let things run their course, then chances are dumb things will happen, like Rajam/Chuckie/RR's lynch.
Agreed, and it's one of Sworddancer's major flaws; he observes more than participates and while this means Sworddancer gets it right more often than not and is viewed by town, often others with less ability (or bad motives) get to run the show.

Like, all of those lynches were just awful. SOMEONE needs to just get wild and do something that people can interpret and act upon, otherwise everyone's just being too damn safe while the typical influential players run the show.

And yeah, although I doubt the game can actually progress past this point, it's probably better to just wait for Nabe before posting. :p
Getting wild doesn't convince anyone worth convincing though. You can convince some people this way, but generally only those that you can convince in another way. I played the obvious desperation card a lot this game and got a lot of use out of it but over time it wears down on how people view me. The same goes for any "erratic" type play, and erratic players in end game are bad for all alignments. Mafia can't manipulate them, town can't trust them. Results in a crapshoot.

I think you'd find a lot of success being a "me too" and just shadowing a player you think is town so your bark would have some bite to it. None of your pushes had any support because it was just you; if you had started with support you'd have gone places.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Agreed, and it's one of Sworddancer's major flaws; he observes more than participates and while this means Sworddancer gets it right more often than not and is viewed by town, often others with less ability (or bad motives) get to run the show.
Yep yep, pretty much. A lot of the time I have thoughts in my head that I fail to express due to being cautious, and this isn't the first game where I was like this.

It's just so hard to be confident about your thoughts, you know? You always want to double check things, leave no room for error.

Plus, I don't really think I really understand how to "lead" people. The only possible thing I can think of is to just keep talking to them, trying to convince them of your opinions and to gain their support. This has never been my strong suit.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yep yep, pretty much. A lot of the time I have thoughts in my head that I fail to express due to being cautious, and this isn't the first game where I was like this.

It's just so hard to be confident about your thoughts, you know? You always want to double check things, leave no room for error.

Plus, I don't really think I really understand how to "lead" people. The only possible thing I can think of is to just keep talking to them, trying to convince them of your opinions and to gain their support. This has never been my strong suit.
The trick is to only lead the people that want to be lead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priming_(psychology)

That's generally how I do it. Prime them for a specific response, then go for it.

Don't know if they're primed? See if they are receptive to totally innocuous things. Bardull was crossing his arms and shouting "NO!" when I said "what was your claim again?" after unvoting him, and I knew at that point I couldn't swing a lynch onto Circus easily for him and couldn't pull the "oh bardull might do this instead of being a lynch option / look for town approval" type approach.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Oh yeah, screw playing through the entire game with THAT on my head. Luckily I was the only living player that knew why La B died (automatically died N1) and no one could explain it even though Circus knew where the poison went.
After it was revealed that there were three kills outside of Labatt, I figured he had probably been a flavor kill, or that he died as a response to the Inq grabbing a new aspect or something.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
Votecount 8-1

3/5 to lynch.

Kary [
]: Circus, BarDulL, Overswarm

BarDulL [
]: Kary

Not voting [
]: Sworddancer.

------------------------------------------------------------

[collapse=Vote Log] Circus > Kary
Overswarm > BarDulL > Unvote > BarDulL > Kary
Sworddancer. > Kary > Unvote
BarDulL > Kary > Unvote > Kary
Kary > BarDulL
[/collapse]

A lynch has been reached.
No posting.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
The partygoers were gripped by their intense malaise, as if they were all one downtrodden being, with one very large shoe doing the trodding.

Kary slunk off to the washroom. A grumbled chorus of relief fell over the room, as this had been an event worth waiting for. Their sunken eyes testified to their great tiredness.

Aigis was the first to speak. "If I may... taking into consideration that our remaining time here is likely very limited, it would be logical to spend that time in a way such that the majority of the people present would enjoy themselves 'every second they could', so to speak."

"You read my mind, young lady," said Sayoko Uehara, a determined look coming to her face. "Let's kill that hussy in the fur coat so she'll stop whining. 'Oh no, the temperature in here is making the sweat glisten over my massive booooooobs~' Give me a ****ing break."

"Affirmative," replied Aigis. "That mission would ensure a time of... relaxation."

After a moment, Loki gave a sharp, serious nod to no one in particular. Then his face broke out into a wide grin. "You two intrigue me. With Lil gone and Baka taking orders from another, old Luci's plans have all but fallen to tatters, and I would enjoy eating a bit of that succulent morsel in there. ...And may I say, Sayoko, you remind me a great deal of our Lilith. Smart, sexy and in-control."

Sayoko blushed, despite herself. She liked men who knew what they were about, and besides, he was quite appreciable.

Eyes went to Arahabaki, a large totem floating silently to the side. For a time, nothing happened. But then a green aura around his form and a changed feeling in the room's air appeared to signify assent. His eyes turned to Aigis, and her face flushed softly with her reddish internal fluids. Loki chuckled softly to no one in particular.

Kary returned from the washroom to find four people standing and staring at him.

"...What are you looking at?"

Kary was Shadowy Shadow Skipdiddly-do Mitsuru of Shadows, Shadow Ice-Executioner.​

...And there was much rejoicing.

------------------------------------------------

SMT: Persona+ Mafia is over!
Congratulations to all surviving players -- you have tied. The townies are stuck in the club, Lucifer didn't get to see his grand denouement, and N's wager for humanity's fall did not come to pass. While it's not an outright win, the hard times are over and (most of) you have done your faction proud!

MIXED WIN

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
mfw I try to meta the mod.
mfw I try to play with my role like I did.
mfw when I gave up to give my flip to see people who pushed it flip town.

Happens, I'll learn from it.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
"Hey guys we totally figured out this flavour clue that will help us progress the game!"
*gets lynched*

Well played OS ;)

I still felt that if I hadn't had exams when I'd been mislynched I could of turned it around, but I feel slightly better about it knowing that 5/8 on our wagon were scum.

I enjoyed this game while I was alive (even the mislynch) but it was pretty painful to watch after I was dead.

*insert salty statement about nailing all the scum and no MVP here* :chuckle::chuckle:

Recruiting games are weird but I still thought this set up was pretty cool.

Also *brofist* at Kat for totally nailing the mod as scum :b:. Our scum hunting techniques are not simply limited to Day and Night phases :b:

And once again thanks to Nabe for hosting :p.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Eeeeexcellent. I'll post later.

But just a teaser:

I tricked you all one last time. I was hated and took one less to lynch and you agreed to a tie victory even though town could have won outright; you didn't even debate it and merely accepted the tie.

:D

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Overswarm said:
Changed my avatar to match the death note pictures I used to make it seem like I'm super into the case, give it some emotional appeal. "Overswarm is trying so hard" kind of thing.

Buildin' the web indeed.
So much popcorn.jpg in this quicktopic lawl

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
So, I prepared two sets of gif responses for post-game, depending on whether or not my faction won or lost. As fate would have it, neither happened, so I'm just going to post both.

[COLLAPSE="Elation! Celebration! Who gon' run this Town tonight?!"]

[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="brb, ugly crying"]

[/COLLAPSE]

PJB, it was a pleasure going (almost) to the end with you. It would have been amazing if we had actually managed to pull off a legitimate win, just the two of us, given the circumstances. I'm really proud of both of us.

Overswarm, you're my favorite scoundrel. Even if you were on another side for basically the whole game, you came through for PJB and I several times over the course of the game, and it was a pleasure to sort of run a Town with you. Easily one of the most contentious mafia partnerships (again, sort of) I've ever been apart of. It was often frustrating but always interesting.

I may do some more proper shout outs on everyone later, but don't hold me to it, as I often flake on such things. The point is, I had a great time despite all the crazy shenanigans in this game sometimes making me feel like my brain was trapped in a vice. PJB and OS, you were rad partners.

J, stay salty. :p

GG.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
So much popcorn.jpg in this quicktopic lawl
Man, if you're actually reading that whole thing, good luck to you. It's a riot to read at times, but it's long.

I mean, do we keep records of longest scum QT's? This one has to be a contender.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I think it's the longest I've been in. It's also primarily legitimate, most of my scum quick topics start off that way and then devolve into laughing at town.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Also, Nabe, you're a loon for attempting a game as ambitious as this. It's like you packed every crazy idea for a mafia game you've ever thought of into one mastergame. Mafia Traitor, multiple indie factions, multiple recruiting roles, a player revival...and on top of that, the theme hiding mechanic was even more complex than HP Mafia (even though it was somehow cracked faster).

You're a madman and I love you ravish me pls Thanks for hosting. :)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Good games guys, was fun. Sorry I haven't done as much as I could. Next time.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Kat and I should of figured out the entire theme on N0. We did oh so many searches on Movies/Tv Shows/Films/Video Games that related to Tarot Cards. The Persona games just didn't EVER pop up in our results.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TarotMotifs

I must of spent hours looking through this page for a suitable match, and Persona is RIGHT THERE OMG! I think I mostly glossed over the video game entries though because the higher entries (which generally means most relevant) were all very obscure. Mansion Of Hidden Souls, The Curse of Monkey Island, Quest for Glory IV... these couldn't possibly of been the theme!

OH WELL :/

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Man, I still have so much salt that Kary pretty much hamstrung my slot after months of playing this even after getting a win. >_<

I've gotta get some sleep but you'll get a final thoughts post from me soon that will explain a lot if you don't want to read through the mafia QT

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Man, that Lovers QT is pitiful.

The Shadows QT is much more interesting.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Also, @Nabe (based on something you said in your commentary QT):

No, I never thought anything of the fact that Ranmaru got the word "persistence" in describing OS, because I didn't know that Ran's role only gave him modifiers. Ran's description of his role was simply "I learn **** related to people's roles." There was nothing there to lead me to the idea that I should be taking "persistence" to indicate a role modifier I was not aware of. It was too vague.

But no, that didn't stop me from suspecting OS of trechery basically all game. It's just that PJB and I weren't equipped with anything to deal with it. I could have stalked OS sooner (and I wanted to). I could have instructed Private to poison OS sooner (and I wanted to). But there was too much at stake if I had been wrong, and giving OS that much scrutiny would have required me to take my eye off of town for longer than I wanted to. I never felt completely comfortable using my Stalk on OS (until the end) because there were so many other players I wanted more information on. For instance, I was desperate to find our Traitor specifically because I wanted more cushion than just me and PJB if OS had indeed been recruited. I wanted to know if I really still had one more friend out there before I went about potentially wasting it on OS.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

this ****ing game.

im not even salty

#HBC | ѕoup

Nabe, great job with the flavor, setup, and everything else.

OS, good job with being OS.
Circus, good job with dealing with OS.
PJB, good job with being used by OS.
Kary, good job with being used by OS.
Swords, good job being ObvTown.
Kanty, good job with reads.
Bardull, sucks to be you right now.
Vandy, good job with flavor and stuff.
Ryker and Gova, good job with not posting.
Ranmaru... I'm dissapointed in you.
RR, good job on D3.
July, good job as always in general.
Tako, good job getting lynched. :gova:
J, good job at being Indy.
Good job for the other people who died. I hope you all had fun watching this trainwreck as much as I did.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I am literally dying while reading the mafia quick topic. OS, bro, there's this thing called spontaneity. Planning a decade in advance what someone will do will never work unless your name is Batman or Ozymandias; human beings are far too complex to accurately predict exactly how they'll operate every step of the way. We're constantly evolving with each and every experience and, assuming I have at least half a brain, which I'm certain I do, I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH 'CAUSE I'VE NEVER CHECKED, but assuming I do have a brain, then the likelihood of me meeting to your expectations to a tee is astronomically small. Secondly, you don't give me nearly enough credit; I've been playing around with Yomi for centuries. Thirdly, what da faq, I don't do what you want me to do and suddenly I'm "not a strategic thinker?" I was reading you as scum! Why should I even bother reading your walls, lmfao. That was kind of a joke. But in all seriousness, I'm not going to "play into your strategy" if I don't trust you. That's basic mafia 101 right there.

Shoutouts in a bit.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Soup, good job being the only town member to actually kill a non-town player.

Technically, Swords and Kanty had a hand in getting rid of J, but ehhh....

#HBC | ѕoup

Soup, good job being the only town member to actually kill a non-town player.

Technically, Swords and Kanty had a hand in getting rid of J, but ehhh....
Hahahaha thank you you made my night

July

Smash Apprentice
Sweet Jesus this was a crazy game. Swords, OS and Circus, you guys played fantastically. I got tired just reading this game, but you guys legitimately stayed invested in the game and didn't show signs of fatigue even into late game, and thus I tip my hat to you. Also Swords was hella obv-town all game and was really,truly the backbone of town from start to finish.

Nabe, wonderful job hosting as always, thank you for the invite and for the entralling mechanics, set-up and theme. Sorry for not playing my best here, but I really did have a great time. Although sidenote, I still like my original theme guess of "American Horror Story".

Sorry for my meltdown, claim, and subsequent death, I really wish I had held myself together more and been an asset to town. I still love you all and hope you still love me <3

Now, to read dem qts...

Top Bottom