• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twin Christmas Parties 3+4 Mafia {The Matryoshka Scandal.} ~ Over! Who had the merriest Christmas? Who got lumps of coal?

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Nabe said:
Ugh. What do I even make of this?

Kary, I realize there's no explicit rule saying "Play to win", but I think it's a pretty commonly held tenet of mafia. Regardless, if you're not interested in playing the cards you're dealt, it would've been somewhat more responsible to replace out, don't you think? To at least contact me with the concern? Given your responses to OS in your QT and some of the posts you've made in public, it seems like you've convinced yourself there was some merit to what you've done. But in reality you've in all likelihood thrown the game for a player and faction (your faction, despite your original role) who had already won in all but name through a lot of hard work, not to mention endangering the mafia as well. I understand why there would be feelings of unfairness, that's perfectly natural given the situation. But as a responsible player you should overcome them, or let me know you can't do it and get out of the game quickly and responsibly.
Nabe.
I don't want to argue with you, but my feelings are pretty much this; I was playing to win.
Unfortunately, I could see absolutely no way in which I could win, which led me to hail mary plays such as claiming my role, and to feelings of frustration and unhappiness with this game. Maybe I should have replaced out, and given someone else a chance. I would have liked to have approached the game with a more positive attitude. But please don't confuse bad play with intent to throw a game.

You spent the first two Days of this game in absentia. I understand why that happened, and that you weren't in a good situation. But to think that you could've replaced out, rather than prod-dodging through the following Days and then claiming anti-town when the situation didn't suit you? And then proceeding to say that you spent the previous Days playing a good traitor?
I'm sorry about being inactive during the start of this game, but I have absolutely no qualms about saying I played a ****ing brilliant traitor.

---------------

putting all that aside, thank you Nabe for modding this game. It had some great highlights and some cool things going on.

---------------

Thanks Kanty. Always a pleasure to play with you. Peace and :pika:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
K said:
Nabe.
I don't want to argue with you, but my feelings are pretty much this; I was playing to win.
Unfortunately, I could see absolutely no way in which I could win, which led me to hail mary plays such as claiming my role, and to feelings of frustration and unhappiness with this game. Maybe I should have replaced out, and given someone else a chance. I would have liked to have approached the game with a more positive attitude. But please don't confuse bad play with intent to throw a game.
O rly

Kary said:
you don't have a vote, you don't have a kill. you're dead weight to me and the faction.

one of us has to stay alive, and that involves getting past guilty claims from 100% cleared players

if i'd done nothing, mafia have no excuse not to vote me. that means i'm dead and i'm flipping what i just claimed anyways.

but whatever. i'm fine with losing. and given it'd all be my fault, you should be too. peace.
Kary said:
re: my recent post

apologies for not consulting you etc.

i'm really tired of this game and i'm fine with pulling a hail mary right now

may well end up giving the game to mafia and i'm also fine with that

ehh. as I said, i believe i am kingmaker, so guess i'm gonna throw my weight around.

/all best
Kary said:
you realize that i would rather lose this game than win it?

and talking to you makes me sick?

we coast out the day, fine. see you toMorrow.

On the contrary Kary, you are quite possibly the most butthurt player in all of DGames history and that is saying something. You deliberately attempted to sabotage your current wincon for your previous wincon, attempted to sabotage your current wincon AGAIN, and openly stated that you were "fine with losing" and didn't care how that affected the game in any way, shape, or form.

Gheb literally modkilled himself because he was frustrated with me when we were both town in a game where town could only afford one mislynch and I managed to somehow bring town a win in liar game. That was despicable of Gheb and it really dropped my opinion of him as both a player and a person, but he had an edge: he had no idea what my alignment was. While we were both town, he had no way of confirming it and for all he knew his modkilling himself could snap town into looking at and lynching me, presenting them with a potential win.

You, however, did not have that luxury. You knew my alignment and decided to throw the game anyway, twice.

Kary said:
I'm sorry about being inactive during the start of this game, but I have absolutely no qualms about saying I played a ****ing brilliant traitor.
Furthermore, you did absolutely nothing of positive consequence this game for your faction. You were nothing more than a floating log hoping to coast your way to victory. The closest thing you have to assisting scum do anything is making a post on Red Ryu when he was already at L-3 due to the efforts of PJB and the only lynch option due to the efforts of myself.

I mean seriously, you have the audacity to say you played a good game when you directed and achieved absolutely nothing on your own? You didn't even attempt to stop your own lynch, I had to do it. You caused more trouble than you prevented. On top of all of this, you actually CLAIMED SOMETHING YOU COULD NOT POSSIBLY PROVE. What kind of idiot claims that they can see when ANYONE visits them in a game full of visiting roles and then openly says "no one visited me last Night"? How would you not just say "someone visited me last Night" and claim that's all the information you get, just so you at least have the possibility of saying "mafia visited me and aren't claiming, so they have some non-killing role if I don't die from poison toNight". BAM. Saved your claim.

To have the one member of your faction call you out on throwing the game, having yourself apologize only to do the exact same thing AGAIN because you cannot control your emotions is one thing. To then read the moderator's commentary and realize he shared the exact same sentiment in private as the game is occurring in explicit detail, so explicit that he even suggested it an error to invite you to the game, and still not recognize that you committed a grievous error? That is deliberate foolishness to such a degree that it demands to be viewed as a segment of your character rather than your emotional state.

If a man calls you a horse, call him crazy. If a second man calls you a horse, tell him to get lost. If a third, fourth, and fifth man call you a horse, put on a saddle.

Because of your actions and complete unwavering belief that you did nothing wrong, I cannot believe you have learned anything whatsoever.

You are banned from joining any and all of my hosted games and any game in which you play that I am participating in I will immediately replace out with the possible exception that I have a daykill ability in which case I will immediately use it on you and then replace out.

I suggest any mod that does host a game remove you from his roster for a replacement as well, and I'm not even joking. The audacity to take literally months of someones work on a mafia game and decide to just throw it out the window because you are momentarily upset is completely disrespectful to your faction, the players of other factions, and to the moderator.

You owe Nabe a pretty sincere apology.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
you probably don't listen to a damn thing I say

I can probably deal with you more or less slandering me for whatever reasons

i'm just going to leave it.

someone actually wants to ask me questions about my role/how I played, work away.

Otherwise, peace.
quotes

10quotes

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
OS, I just think Kary doesn't play the same way you do. I see him as more of a free spirit, going with the flow. You push his buttons too much, and you lose an ally. Regardless of alignment. I think Nabe said it himself, you have to play to people's likes and dislikes.

I think that's the case here.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Also, recruiting sux. (It has nothing to do with why I played the way I did, the fault lays entirely on me and just being busy with school, and I will try harder next time) [Liked being Indie lovers with J, just was caught up with school and stuff at the time]

I don't think people can expect players to replace out if their morale is down due to a recruit, because then their slot would be in danger because of it. *shrugs*

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
OS, I just think Kary doesn't play the same way you do. I see him as more of a free spirit, going with the flow. You push his buttons too much, and you lose an ally. Regardless of alignment. I think Nabe said it himself, you have to play to people's likes and dislikes.

I think that's the case here.
Just because someone is a "free spirit" does not at all validate actions to throw the game. Those quotes are highly damning and make me incredibly disappointed in him as a player. I had a lot of faith in Kary and he seemed so much smarter/better than this. I am willing to give him another chance if he earns it but such behavior is incredibly disrespectful to other players. Intentionally trying to lose games is ****ish in any situation and OS is not outside of his boundaries to call Kary out for it.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I'm actually dumbfounded that it has come to this, but I am going to try and make a post to clear the air here.

I was not trying to throw this game.

If I was trying to throw this game, I would have just done that. I could have thrown two fingers up at Nabe and modkilled myself. Or I could have used my role to kill myself. Or I could have used my role to kill myself as well as OS. I had options.

Now, you might be wondering how this can be true, when I'm posting something like:

I do listen, fact remains that you jeopardized your own win condition because you threw a tantrum and can't conceive that it was wrong for you to do so.
It is not wrong to play like an ***-hat and run yourself into the ground; it is just bad. To TRY and throw a game would be wrong, but that was never what I was trying to do.

To say that I was throwing a tantrum, that I was getting emotional, and to think that it was my intention in all this to ruin this game is to get things so backwards I barely understand it.

If I didn't give two ****s about my faction, Nabe, anyone else, I could have just gone '**** this game' and ended it right there. Instead I tried to cope with it, and because I felt I was in a dumb, hopeless situation and still had to play, I ended up getting mad and playing terribly.

I really hope that this makes certain things clear.

But if, after all this, you still believe that I was trying to throw the game, I don't care any more. Because the long and the short is that you are wrong. I will live with being distrusted and misunderstood.

Just because someone is a "free spirit" does not at all validate actions to throw the game. Those quotes are highly damning and make me incredibly disappointed in him as a player. I had a lot of faith in Kary and he seemed so much smarter/better than this. I am willing to give him another chance if he earns it but such behavior is incredibly disrespectful to other players. Intentionally trying to lose games is ****ish in any situation and OS is not outside of his boundaries to call Kary out for it.
:glare:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I don't know what Kary could have done in all honesty. I severely doubt OS could have swung the lynch to PJB when Kary was confirmed scum.

:phone:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
What I mean is, is that Kary walked into D6 with Circus, Kantrip, Sworddancer, and myself, all gunning for Kary. I don't necessarily blame him for fumbling the ball. Claiming Indy as opposed to claiming mafia wasn't necessarily a bad play, and neither was executing you. Let's be honest here: did Kary have a real shot at living after a confirmed mafia result from sword/kantrip came into play? Let's not forget that Circus and Sword also targeted Kary and Kary claimed no one visited him. And does anyone here actually think OS could have gotten his PJB lynch on D7? I'm sorry OS, but I really don't believe you could have pulled that out. I wasn't going to turn my head from Kary and the entire town roster at that point thought you were going coo coo.

Who else was Kary going to execute if not PJB? He'd just be postponing the inevitable by killing off someone else. He'd also be leaving mafia alive with a night kill.

People should reread d6-d8, srsly.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I guess he could have chosen not to execute...eh. IDK. We were all breathing down Kary's neck with our Merry Bodykin's out though. JTB/myself/circus/sword could have bodied Kary, and we would've, I'm positive of that.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
What I mean is, is that Kary walked into D6 with Circus, Kantrip, Sworddancer, and myself, all gunning for Kary. I don't necessarily blame him for fumbling the ball. Claiming Indy as opposed to claiming mafia wasn't necessarily a bad play, and neither was executing you. Let's be honest here: did Kary have a real shot at living after a confirmed mafia result from sword/kantrip came into play? Let's not forget that Circus and Sword also targeted Kary and Kary claimed no one visited him. And does anyone here actually think OS could have gotten his PJB lynch on D7? I'm sorry OS, but I really don't believe you could have pulled that out. I wasn't going to turn my head from Kary and the entire town roster at that point thought you were going coo coo.

Who else was Kary going to execute if not PJB? He'd just be postponing the inevitable by killing off someone else. He'd also be leaving mafia alive with a night kill.

People should reread d6-d8, srsly.

I read two pages of it and had Circus pegged easily off the PJB flip.

EDIT: I don't know his role so it's hard for me to say much. Once Nabe posts **** I'll have a clearer picture, obviously.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
The thing is, is that Kary's slot was a huge liability at the time because his slot lacked substance from being V/LA in the earlier day phases. Circus had substantiation, albeit I felt he was scum on D4/D5, but Circus looked pretty good after getting J lynched, whom was a part of an independent faction at the time. There was no way we could swing to Circus under those circumstances unless someone had damning evidence, i.e. Kantrip checking Circus. That being said, PJB WAS a prime suspect because he had been playing defensively and not putting out any kind of content, but most of the thread was convoluted by the idea that Kary was mafia (based on Sword's mafia verdict on Kary) as well as the idea that we should be looking for his mafia mates. Even if PJB was suspect, he wasn't an immediate threat since Indy's couldn't kill and that if PJB WAS Kary's scum mate, he wouldn't go before Kary first anyway.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Kary's frustration is completely understandable. I've been there before; I know that kind of stress. I don't fault Kary for getting emotional in the QT.

It is still true, however, that there are beneficial and detrimental ways of reacting to shifting currents in a mafia game. When the tide turns in ways you don't expect, you can either get pissed, slash your sails and scream "Fine! Let the ship sink!" or you can breathe for a second, mutter a few curse words while you watch your steering wheel spin about for a moment, then start plotting a course correction as best you can.

The most concerning thing about seeing Kary's white flag moment, to me, is that I've seen him play with much more tenacity as scum before. In Necromafia, while he didn't play optimally, he fought much harder against a perceived guilty on him from Zen (faked), which was admirable, and the right thing to do, even though he failed. Granted, the situation here is not identical to that one; there were more people against him here. But the point is that tenacity—that will to push on in the face of overwhelming odds—is, in many situations, the thing that gives most good scum players the ability to win at all. If a townie sees you stab another townie, your drop the knife and adamantly deny that you ever even had one. You wash your hands and commit to the lie. Hoping and believing that you can find a way out of a situation like that is half of what it takes to actually find that way out.

I like Kary, and I don't think his play here is any cause for him to be blacklisted from mafia games (although I'll admit that I'm lenient in this way and mods are entitled to exclude anyone they want from any game they host). However, I do think it's worth it for him to accept some constructive criticism on this if he has any interest in getting better.

If you get caught doing something shady, try to stay as calm as possible in thread. If you have a partner, talk to that partner in times of distress. Plan something together. There's almost always a way forward, even if it's narrower or less stable than the path you originally intended to take.

And if all else fails, deny, deny, deny.

Sometimes you'll still get lynched. Sometimes there really is no way out—you're just caught. But until the hammer drops, there's always hope.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm assuming you went off to burn an orphanage and puppy farm after this?
Yes, right after he won an award for being "voted best" from me.

I only WISH I had this level of meta-knowledge on each player so I could be so evil... if given the chance I'd probably exploit the same things in Rajam's play but it hasn't come up yet. All I've ever gotten to actually use meta-wise is how to best rile Soup.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yes, right after he won an award for being "voted best" from me.

I only WISH I had this level of meta-knowledge on each player so I could be so evil... if given the chance I'd probably exploit the same things in Rajam's play but it hasn't come up yet. All I've ever gotten to actually use meta-wise is how to best rile Soup.
I just pick one or two players a game I don't know, read their previous games where they survived a while, and study up as best I can. Make predictions and see if they fit. If they don't, I messed up or they changed. If they do, I've essentially nailed that person down and they are added to my list.

It helps that I've modded a lot of games and Rajam was in a lot of them.

The only person to ever actually surprise me when I thought I had them nailed down was Ranmaru. I had him down to a T and then left playing mafia for a short while, came back, and he had improved 10fold. It was literally like Night and Day and threw me for a complete loop.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
The Setup
I'll add mod annotations to this post in a future edit, but I wanted to make the roles public ASAP.

------------- [
] ------- Philemon's Paragons ------- [
] -------------

[collapse=Sworddancer. (The Fool)]

YOU ARE
Aigis, Town Weak Voyeur-Cop

You remember now... mostly. You were invited to a Christmas party at Club Escapade, on Tatsumi Port Island. You remember having a good time, although strangely you didn't know any of the people there. And then... you're really not sure what happened then, actually.

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. You'll learn all the actions that happened to your target during the Night.

However, you'll learn only the generic type of each action. For example, any action that kills its target would yield "Kill".

Role Modifiers
Ascetic: You cannot be targeted by any ability during any Night phase, aside from any ability that would cause you to die during the same Night it was used.[/collapse][collapse=JTB (The Hanged Man)]

YOU ARE
Naoki Konishi, Town Sadsack

You remember now... mostly. You were invited to a Christmas party at Club Escapade, on Tatsumi Port Island. You remember having a good time, although strangely you didn't know any of the people there. And then... you're really not sure what happened then, actually.

Role
You have no active ability.

At the start of every Day phase, you will depressively consider the events of the game in a quiet corner, moping to yourself.

Role Modifiers
None.[/collapse][collapse=sneakytako/Rajam (The Hierophant)]

YOU ARE
Ryotaro Dojima, Town Jailer

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. You'll protect them from any abilities that would kill them during that same Night they were used. You'll also stop them from using any abilities for the Night.

Role Modifiers
Potential: This role may change if certain conditions are met.[/collapse][collapse=Red Ryu (The Tower)]

YOU ARE
Shu Nakajima, Town Genius-Doctor

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. Using your knowledge of the human body gained from study, you'll protect them from any abilities that would kill them during that Night.

Role Modifiers
None.[/collapse][collapse=Ranmaru (The Lovers)]

YOU ARE
Rise Kujikawa, Town Scanner-Cop

Role
During the Day Phase, you may choose one player. Using your scan ability, you'll discover something associated with their character.

Role Modifiers
Potential: Your role will change in the future if certain prerequisites are met.[/collapse][collapse=Potassium (The Fortune)]

YOU ARE
Naoto Shirogane, Town Consulting Detective[/CENTER]

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. You will investigate that player's alignment. You will not be informed of the results. Anyone who targets you that same Night will learn the results.

Role Modifiers
Potential: This role will change later if certain conditions are met.[/collapse][collapse=Soup (The Moon?)]

YOU ARE
Shinjiro Aragaki, Town Vigilante

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. You'll make an attempt to kill that player.

Role Modifiers
EON: You can only use your active ability every other Night Phase.

Driven: You must use your active ability whenever possible.

Unstable: If your attempt at using your active ability fails, you will die.

Mourned: If you die during a Night Phase, the succeeding Day Phase will be skipped.[/collapse][collapse=Raziek (The Death)]

YOU ARE
Elizabeth, Town Volunteer Backup

Role
Once per game during any Phase, choose a dead player. Your role will become their role. In the case of some roles, you may receive a "Weak" or "Strong" modifier.

Role Modifiers
None.[/collapse][collapse=Jdietz43/BarDulL (The Devil)]

YOU ARE
Sayoko Uehara, Town Doctor Enabler

Role

If there is no living Doctor Enabler, any and every "Doctor" role that exists in this game will fail to use its main ability.

Role Modifiers
Ascetic: You cannot be targeted by any ability during any Night phase, aside from any ability that would cause you to die during the same Night it was used.[/collapse][collapse=July (The Star)]

YOU ARE
Teddie Teddie, Town Dia-Doctor

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. Using Dia, you'll protect them from any abilities that would kill them during that Night.

Role Modifiers
Macho: You cannot be successfully targeted by abilities that would protect you from dying at Night.[/collapse][collapse=Chuckie (The Priestess)]

YOU ARE
Yukiko Amagi, Town Posu-Doctor

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. If that player is poisoned, they will no longer be poisoned.

Role Modifiers
Potential: This role will change later if circumstances are correct.

Introvert: You may target yourself with your active ability.[/collapse]

------------- [
] ------- Velvet Variations ------- [
] -------------

[collapse=Red Ryu II (Chuckie)]

YOU ARE NOW
Shu Nakajima, Town Antidote-Doctor

You've found a new calling!

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. Using your knowledge of chemistry, you'll concoct an antidote and administer it to them. If they are poisoned when you target them, they will no longer be poisoned.

Role Modifiers
Potential: This role will change if certain conditions are met.

-----------------------------------
Mod Note: your old role PM and ability are no longer valid.[/collapse][collapse=Red Ryu III (Soup)]

YOU ARE NOW
Shu Nakajima, Town Chem-Vigilante

You've found a new calling!

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. Continuing to use your book knowledge of chemistry, you'll mix up an explosive propellant, and kill that player.

Role Modifiers

-----------------------------------
Mod Note: your old role PM and ability are no longer valid.[/collapse][collapse=Ranmaru II (Which Rise Am I?)]

YOU ARE NOW
Risette, Town Confused Scanner-Cop

Which Rise am I, really? I'm tired of playing the roles everyone wants me to play!

Role
During the Day Phase, you may choose one player. Using your scan ability, you'll discover something associated with their character.

During the Night Phase, you will Think silently to yourself about who you really are and who you really want to be. If anyone targets you during a Night when you are Thinking, you will be interrupted, and will not count as having been Thinking for that Night. You will be told at the start of every Day if you successfully Thought the previous Night. This is not an active ability. I will not answer questions about the purpose (if any) of Thinking.

Role Modifiers
Potential: Your role will change in the future if certain prerequisites are met.
[/collapse][collapse=Raziek II (The Hierophant)]

YOU ARE
Elizabeth, Town Strong Jailer

Ah, here's the card.

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. You'll protect them from any abilities that would kill them during that same Night they were used. You'll also stop them from using any abilities for the Night.

On any Night when you do not use this ability, you will stay in jail yourself, protecting yourself from any abilities that would kill you during that same Night they were used.

Role Modifiers
Potential: This role may change if certain conditions are met.[/collapse][collapse=July II (Naked Teddie)]

YOU ARE NOW
Naked Teddie, Town Switch-Doctor

Ahhh... that's better!

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. By keeping them in your bear suit, you'll protect them from any abilities that would kill or poison them during that Night, and also from any active ability that would change their faction.

Role Modifiers
Naked: Any abilities that target you during a Night you've used your active ability will be redirected to the player who you've targeted with your active ability, and will affect them normally.

And My Fur Makes Two: You now have a second vote, to be cast or changed through Private Messages with me. In votecounts, this second vote will have been cast by ???.

-----------------------------------------
Mod note: Notice that your active ability does not cure someone who is already poisoned.[/collapse]

------------- [
] ------- Lucifer's Louts ------- [
] -------------

[collapse=Circus (Tyrant Race)]

YOU ARE
Loki, Mafia Stalker-Captain
(Partners: PrivateJoker-Brown, Overswarm)

You remember now. You all sensed a gathering, a party with an aura of strong people... and someone else, someone different. You three thought it would be fun to crash it. But that someone different was incredibly powerful, and caused you to forget yourself like the rest of the human trash.

Well, now that you're back, you'll get that mischief on the humans you craved to, and you'll take that powerful someone down a peg too.

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. You'll stalk that player, learning their character and role name, even if they are unaware of the same.

Alternatively, during the Night Phase you may choose a Nightly target for one of the following three roles:
Dia-Doctor
Voyeur-Cop
Vigilante
(on odd nights only)

You may not choose any of the role options more than once per game.

Role Modifiers
None.[/collapse][collapse=PrivateJoker-Brown (Night Race)]

YOU ARE
Lilith, Mafia Poisoner
(Partners: Circus, Overswarm)

You remember now. You all sensed a gathering, a party with an aura of strong people... and someone else, someone different. You three thought it would be fun to crash it. But that someone different was incredibly powerful, and caused you to forget yourself like the rest of the human trash.

Well, now that you're back, you'll get that mischief on the humans you craved to, and you'll take that powerful someone down a peg too.

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. You'll poison that player. If they are still poisoned at the end of the following Night, they'll die.

Role Modifiers
Ascetic: You cannot be targeted by any ability during any Night phase, aside from any ability that would cause you to die during the same Night it was used.[/collapse][collapse=Overswarm (Kunitsukami Race)]

YOU ARE
Arahabaki, Mafia Chiaotzu
(Partners: PrivateJoker-Brown, Circus)

Role
During any Night Phase, choose one player as a target. This ability will kill the player it hits. You will die as a result of using this ability. This ability may be used regardless of any abilities being used by other members of your faction.

Role Modifiers
Strongman: Any active ability you use that could kill its target during the same Night Phase in which it was used is guaranteed to succeed, regardless of any other effects that would otherwise cause it to fail upon reaching its target.

Potential: This role will change if you are the last known member of your faction.[/collapse][collapse=Kary (The Shadow in Doubt)]

YOU ARE
Shadow Mitsuru, Mafia Traitor Ice-Doctor
(Partners: PrivateJoker-Brown, Circus, Overswarm)

You remember now. Your master, whom you know only as N, was having a gathering, a party with many strong people... to crush them all at once. But you also sensed demons around you, and in your heart you knew that they would give you what you want. You left your master, yearning to join with the demons and cause mischief. But your master was incredibly powerful, and caused you to forget yourself.

Well, now that you're back, you'll get that mischief on the humans you craved to, and you'll take that old master down a peg too.

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. Using your Ice Mirror courtesy of Artemesia, you'll protect them from any abilities that would kill them during that Night.

Role Modifiers
Bulletproof: You cannot be killed by any Day or Night ability that would kill you during the same phase it was used.

Distant: You cannot have any private conversation with your partners. They may have some knowledge of the existence of a mafia traitor. They do not know your identity.

Knowledgeable: You know that there is a third-party player or faction in this game with a Night kill.[/collapse]

------------- [
] ------- Demonic Disguises ------- [
] -------------

[collapse=Circus F (The Chariot, The Carnivore)]

YOU ARE
Chie Satonaka, Town Cop Enabler

Role

If there is no living Cop Enabler, any and every "Cop" role that exists in this game will fail to use its main ability.

Role Modifiers
None.[/collapse][collapse=PrivateJoker-Brown F (The Strength, Master of Balls)]

YOU ARE
Kou Ichijo, Town Yaso-Cop

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. You'll learn their character's gender, and whether or not their character attends Yasogami High.

Role Modifiers
Macho: You cannot be successfully targeted by abilities that would protect you from dying at Night.[/collapse][collapse=Overswarm F (The Justice, Writ Small)]

YOU ARE
Ken Amada, Town Precocious Vanilla

Role
You have your vote and your voice! But no other abilities.

Role Modifiers
Knowledgeable:
  • You know that you are the only role containing the words "Town" and "Vanilla" (in any configuration) in this game.
  • You know that there is a role containing the words "Mafia Traitor" in this game.
  • You know that there is a role containing the words "Doctor Enabler" in this game.
[/collapse][collapse=Kary F (The Empress, The Frigid)]

YOU ARE
Mitsuru Kirijo, Town Ice-Doctor

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. Using your Ice Mirror courtesy of Artemesia, you'll protect them from any abilities that would kill them during that Night.

Role Modifiers
Ascetic: You cannot be targeted by any ability during any Night phase, aside from any ability that would cause you to die during the same Night it was used.[/collapse]

------------- [
] ------- Tentacled Terrors ------- [
] -------------

[collapse=Ryker/Gova (N, The Gambler, The Shadows)]You look down at your present. It vanishes before your eyes.

[collapse=Time to get serious...]
This little game has gone on too long.

Pretending to be human was a good way to kill time, but already it wears on you. You have a bet to win, and you intend to see it through.

[collapse=Come, my Shadows!]

YOU ARE
Nyarlathotep, Shadow Inquisitor
(Partner: Le Bateleur Nabe)
http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/D7tDptnWyHP

These humans are going to destroy their own realm, all of their own accord. Well... actually, very little of their own accord this time. You've never been one to stand idly by; you like to take an active hand in the proceedings of your wager, even when the other bettor does not. But humanity is taking too long to fall, and as you already know what their outcome will be, you think it's more than fair to use force to make it come faster.

You'll crush them all, right here and now. Those so-called Persona users, and any demons that dare to get in your way too. Their lives are forfeit, puppets in your game and corpses if need be.

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. You will kill that player. If you succeed in targeting them with this ability, but fail to kill them, they will be recruited into the Shadow faction, gaining your win condition in place of their own, but retaining any and all abilities they had previously.

Role Modifiers
Knowledgeable: One of your Shadowed minions has become a traitor, working with the demons. You don't know their identity. You do know that their full role is Mafia Traitor Doctor with the modifier Bulletproof. You do not need to kill them in order to win the game, but it would be very satisfying.

Ascetic: You cannot be targeted by any ability during any Night phase, aside from any ability that would cause you to die during the same Night it was used.

Aspects of N: You are partnered with Shadow Yumi (Le Bateleur). When you first recruit a new player as your partner, Le Bateleur will die. Any time following that, your partner(s) will remain alive.

Weakness: If Le Bateleur dies by lynch, the following Night Phase will be skipped. If you die before Le Bateleur, Le Bateleur will immediately die.

Dominance: You may control Le Bateleur's actions in this game by communicating with me about what you intend for me to do, as generally or specifically as you care to. If you don't do so, Le Bateleur will take actions as I see fit. Le Bateleur will not admit to being played by me. I will not give you knowledge of other players, other roles, etc. that you do not already have or could not already have surmised.

Persistence: You may win the game even when dead, so long as your remaining partner(s) are alive and can meet the win condition. When dead, you may still communicate with any living partners you have. When your partners are dead, they may still communicate with any living partners you have.

Win Condition
You win when your faction meets or exceed the number of non-Shadow-aligned players alive, and when nothing can stop this from occurring.

[/collapse][/collapse]

You awaken from your trance, smiling to yourself. Humanity ends themselves here and now.[/collapse][collapse=feat. Le Bateleur (The Sun, The Aspect)]
I didn't write a role PM for Shadow Yumi! The guidelines for the role were as written in Nyarlathotep's role PM, with the additional personal stipulation that if a fakeclaim became necessary, I was going to fakeclaim Yumi Ozawa, Town Plant, unless provided a different claim by N.
[/collapse][collapse=Ryker/Gova F (The Magician, Trashcan Hero)]

YOU ARE
Yosuke Hanamura, Town Suku-Doctor

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. Using Sukukaja, you'll protect them from any abilities that would kill them during that Night.

Role Modifiers
Knowledgable: You know that a player in this game has the character Naoki Konishi.

Mourning: If the player whose character is Naoki Konishi dies, you will be unable to use your active ability during the closest following Night Phase.

Ressentiment: You may use your active ability on yourself during a single Night Phase of this game, at the cost of not being able to use it ever again.[/collapse]

------------- [
] ------- Assisting Aspects ------- [
] -------------

[collapse=Overswarm II (The Shadow)]

YOU ARE
Arahabaki, Shadow Chiaotzu
(Partner: Ryker)
http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/D7tDptnWyHP

Role
During any Night Phase, choose one player as a target. This ability will kill the player it hits. You will die as a result of using this ability. This ability may be used regardless of any abilities being used by other members of your faction.

Role Modifiers
Strongman: Any active ability you use that could kill its target during the same Night Phase in which it was used is guaranteed to succeed, regardless of any other effects that would otherwise cause it to fail upon reaching its target.

Potential: This role will change if you are the last known member of your faction.

Persistence: You may win the game even when dead, so long as your remaining partner(s) are alive and can meet the win condition. When dead, you may still communicate with any living partners you have. When your partners are dead, they may still communicate with any living partners you have.

Win Condition
You win when your faction meets or exceeds the number of non-Shadow-aligned players alive, and when nothing can stop this from occurring.[/collapse][collapse=Overswarm III (The Super Saiyan)]

YOU ARE NOW
Arahabaki, Shadow Vegeta

Role
A single time during the game, during any Night Phase, choose one player as a target. This ability will kill the player it hits. You will be Dizzy during the next Day phase. (Dizzy means you'll have no vote.)

Role Modifiers

Unlikable: You will acquire the Hated modifier after using your active ability, for the remainder of the game.

Deep Reach: If the player you kill with your active ability was targeted by another player's active ability that should have protected them from the kill but didn't, the player with the protective ability will be recruited to the Shadow faction.

Necromancy: If the killed player should have been protected by some aspect of their own role, they will be recruited to the Shadow faction instead of dying, and they will suffer negative effects. The nature of these effects will depend on their role and on the present state of the game.

Persistence: You may win the game even when dead, so long as your remaining partner(s) are alive and can meet the win condition. When dead, you may still communicate with any living partners you have. When your partners are dead, they may still communicate with any living partners you have.[/collapse][collapse=Kary II (The Shadow Returned)]

YOU ARE NOW
Shadowy Shadow Skipdiddly-do Mitsuru of Shadows, Shadow Ice-Executioner
(Partners: BRB, Not Posting, Overswarm)

Just when you thought you were away from your old master, you were forcibly taken back into action!

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. Using your Ice Mirror courtesy of Artemesia, you'll protect them from any abilities that would kill them during that Night, or any Night.

Once during the game, during the Day Phase, you may PM me with the name of a player who has half the necessary votes required for lynch at the time of your sending the message. That player will immediately die, and the Day Phase will end. If Overswarm is alive when you use this ability, he will die, at the same time as the other player.

The above ability has a public variant. If you post the thread command Execute: Player X under the same conditions as above, the same events will occur, except that Overswarm will not die. This ability cannot be used if you have already used the above ability, and vice versa.

Role Modifiers
Conscientious: You will be informed if you or any member of your faction has been poisoned.

New Win Condition
You win when your faction (Shadow) meets or exceeds the number of non-Shadow-aligned players alive, and when nothing can stop this from occurring.[/collapse]

------------- [
] ------- Ishtar's Infatuators ------- [
] -------------

[collapse=J (The Emperor of Love)]

YOU ARE
Vincent Brooks, Lovelorn Seeker

You remember now. You came to this party at Club Escapade, looking for love.

Role
During every Phase of this game, you may choose one player. If that player is your Love, they'll get a new role and they'll join your faction. But hurry and find them before it's too late!

Role Modifiers
Bulletproof: You cannot be killed by any Day or Night ability that would kill you during the same phase it was used.

Knowledgeable: You know that the following role is in this game:

Ryotaro Dojima, Town Jailer
Voice Actor: David Lodge
Tarot Card: The Hierophant
Anime Character: Jiraiya, Naruto[/collapse][collapse=J F (The Emperor)]

YOU ARE
Kanji Tatsumi, Town Lover-Seeker

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. If that player is the character you're looking for (Naoto Shirogane), you'll enter a Lovers-masonry with that player, but only if they haven't yet found their full role.

Role Modifiers
Macho: You cannot be successfully targeted by abilities that would protect you from dying at Night.[/collapse][collapse=Ranmaru III (The Succubus)]

YOU ARE NOW
Cathe-Rise, Lover's Scanner-Succubus
Partner: J

http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/3X9U9JkD54bJ

Now you remember who you really are! Your love for Vincent knows no bounds. Now that he's returned to you, the two of you can break these assorted souls, and return to Hell to start a family.

Role

During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. Using your charms, you'll roleblock that player, preventing them from making a successful action that Night.

Role Modifiers
Lover: If your partner dies at any time, you will immediately die, and vice-versa.

Ascetic: You cannot be targeted by any ability during any Night phase, aside from any ability that would cause you to die during the same Night it was used.

New Win Condition
You win if you survive to the end of the game, with the remaining players being non-Lover's players that don't threaten your life.

-------------------------

Mod Note: This new role replaces your old role(s) entirely, including your win condition. I know changing faction can be a pain, but please play to win! Make sure to read your new role and fakeclaim carefully![/collapse][collapse=J II (The Emperor of Pillows)]

YOU ARE NOW
Vincent, Lover's Pillowmaster
Partner: Ranmaru

You've found the love you'd lost. Now, together, you'll break these other souls, and get back to Hell to start a family.

Role
One time this game, during any Phase of the game, you may choose one player. With help from your Mystic Pillow, that player will immediately return to life, exactly as they were.

One time this game, during any Phase of the game, you may choose one player and put your pillow over their mouth. If it is the Day phase, they'll be unable to vote. If it is the Night phase, they will die.

Role Modifiers
Lover: If your partner dies at any time, you will immediately die, and vice-versa.

Win Condition
You win if you survive to the end of the game, with the remaining players being non-Lover's players that don't threaten your life.[/collapse][collapse=Ranmaru F (I'm that Rise after all!)]

YOU ARE
Rise Kujikawa, Town Certain Mason-Scanner-Cop

You feel very sure of yourself now; you know who you are. Time to seek out your friends!

Role

Once during the game, during the Night Phase, you may choose one player. If they are town, you will form a masonry with that player. If they are not town, you will die, and that player's alignment will be made public alongside your death announcement.

(Your mason QT will be http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/3X9U9JkD54bJ, but you may talk through any method you like!)

Role Modifiers
None.[/collapse][collapse=J FII (The Emperor of Masonry)]

YOU ARE NOW
Kanji Tatsumi, Town Masoned Beefcake Bodyguard
Partner: Ranmaru

You're now a mason!

Role
During the Night Phase, you may choose one player. If that player is also targeted during that same Night by any ability that would kill them (regardless of when they would actually die), the ability will target you instead, with the same eventual result.

Role Modifiers
Macho: You cannot be successfully targeted by abilities that would protect you from dying at Night.

------------------------------

Mod note: Naturally, this role would've been Town Beefcake Bodyguard prior to the masonry. Talk to Ran about his fakeclaim![/collapse]

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
The only person to ever actually surprise me when I thought I had them nailed down was Ranmaru. I had him down to a T and then left playing mafia for a short while, came back, and he had improved 10fold. It was literally like Night and Day and threw me for a complete loop.
What were your expectations of me? I just recently have been cleaning out my closet, and found some notes on players in Fire Emblem Mafia. (Which I could tell wasn't really scumtells, just what a noob would look for)

I'm guessing you mean LoLupick, because I don't think I did too well here.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
This game had a lot of layers. Props to you Nabus on managing everything as a mod. #thumbsup

I think you should consider building upon the flavour-hunting aspect of the game in a way that doesn't abolish the mechanic once the flavour is revealed (purely because it was fun)! A suggestion I'd say regardless of anything is to make the initial hunt harder, as there were lots of hints pointing toward Tarot Cards that I didn't expect this would unlock the 3rd layer.

Also for the hell of it can you please become Batti Boi (or whatever he referred to himself as) in another game? He was cool!

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
This game had a lot of layers. Props to you Nabus on managing everything as a mod. #thumbsup

I think you should consider building upon the flavour-hunting aspect of the game in a way that doesn't abolish the mechanic once the flavour is revealed (purely because it was fun)! A suggestion I'd say regardless of anything is to make the initial hunt harder, as there were lots of hints pointing toward Tarot Cards that I didn't expect this would unlock the 3rd layer.

Also for the hell of it can you please become Batti Boi (or whatever he referred to himself as) in another game? He was cool!
Gosh did you even read the game? She was a massage therapist from New York :awesome:.

And yes, at the very least Le Bat has to be a hydra or something.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Omg I completely forgot all of her experience in mafia comes from her massage classes. I guess a happy ending wouldn't be so happy after all if you get lynched/killed :awesome:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
What were your expectations of me? I just recently have been cleaning out my closet, and found some notes on players in Fire Emblem Mafia. (Which I could tell wasn't really scumtells, just what a noob would look for)

I'm guessing you mean LoLupick, because I don't think I did too well here.
No idea when it was, just remember being o_O'd after playing with you. You played solidly this game too.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
"Aspects of N: You are partnered with Shadow Yumi (Le Bateleur). When you first recruit a new player as your partner, Le Bateleur will die. Any time following that, your partner(s) will remain alive."

Called it. I mean, not out loud but, you know...I kind of figured.

Also, Kary was a Doctor? He didn't get executioner powers until he was recruited?

Kary, how did you use your Night Actions prior to being recruited?

@Nabe: Were there any events you had planned out for this game that didn't see fruition? I noticed in your commentary that there was a chance J could wind up being a Lyncher if the Lovers thing didn't pan out properly. Were there any role modifications or anything that you wanted to see activated but didn't? I notice Tako/Rajam had the "potential" modifier.

Also, be real with me. Did you tack the "Cop" onto the end of "Voyeur-Cop" just to screw with scum? There's no Cop element to that role....

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Also, Kary was a Doctor? He didn't get executioner powers until he was recruited?

Kary, how did you use your Night Actions prior to being recruited?
I protected OS N1, then didn't do anything else. Can't remember why I didn't use it N2 to be honest, might have been concerned about being seen with a visiting role. N3 onwards I was pretty sure there were no other killing roles so I kept myself to myself.
When Swords came out with his results, I more or less handwaved the idea of an alignment change... not least because I couldn't see the point of having a protect when it could actually make things worse for my faction. The other thing that was worth knowing was that RR's role was misleading; because I had protected OS, I knew RR hadn't, and so I knew if I attacked him on the basis of his claim that I wouldn't have to worry too much about the fallout from that.

and yes, I was mafia bulletproof doctor princess traitor. My safclaim (ascetic doctor) was more or less useless, so I was tempted to claim VT or BP townie, but ended up on self-watcher because I knew no-one had visited me and thought it would be plausible in the setup (I was also pretty sure it was Lylo).

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
@Nabe: Were there any events you had planned out for this game that didn't see fruition? I noticed in your commentary that there was a chance J could wind up being a Lyncher if the Lovers thing didn't pan out properly. Were there any role modifications or anything that you wanted to see activated but didn't? I notice Tako/Rajam had the "potential" modifier.
Lots. I'll talk about this much more when I get into detailed discussion, but this setup had semi-automatic rebalancing built into it based on various factors, and would take certain role paths to the point of excluding others depending on those factors.

Also, be real with me. Did you tack the "Cop" onto the end of "Voyeur-Cop" just to screw with scum? There's no Cop element to that role....
Man, Circus. I thought you were my little mind-sucker, but in the QT you kept worrying about the "Voyeur-Cop" and what Cop abilities it might have and I was just like :c because you guys had the Yaso-Cop fakeclaim that clearly wasn't a traditional "Cop".

The roles with the -Cop suffix (Aigis and Rise) were named as such entirely to facilitate the Cop Enabler fakeclaim. That's why you guys had that Yaso-Cop fakeclaim, and it's why you were informed of the Doctor Enabler (so you'd realize it was a valid fakeclaim). Notice also the similarity of the Cop Enabler/Consulting Detective relationship to the Doc Enabler/Jailer relationship, in that the one is a role (Jailer) that performs the same function as the enabled roles (Doctor) without being affected by that enabler.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I protected OS N1....

Holy ****.

Man, Circus. I thought you were my little mind-sucker, but in the QT you kept worrying about the "Voyeur-Cop" and what Cop abilities it might have and I was just like :c because you guys had the Yaso-Cop fakeclaim that clearly wasn't a traditional "Cop".

The roles with the -Cop suffix (Aigis and Rise) were named as such entirely to facilitate the Cop Enabler fakeclaim. That's why you guys had that Yaso-Cop fakeclaim, and it's why you were informed of the Doctor Enabler (so you'd realize it was a valid fakeclaim). Notice also the similarity of the Cop Enabler/Consulting Detective relationship to the Doc Enabler/Jailer relationship, in that the one is a role (Jailer) that performs the same function as the enabled roles (Doctor) without being affected by that enabler.
I guess this is all fair. I think the main reason I found it so confusing though was because my role was phrased the same way as the Voyeur-Cop (and others; with the hyphen separating two role names), but mine was actually a combination of two roles. I was a "Stalker-Captain," and I had the abilities of a Stalker, and the abilities of a Captain. Therefor, I assumed the "Voyeur-Cop" was both a Voyeur and a Cop. And that a "Dia-Doctor" was some kind of role I've never heard of before paired with a Doctor. Perhaps if I'd had more knowledge of the flavor here, I would have figured it out sooner.

But, in my defense, "Yaso-Cop" makes much more sense as a Cop variant. It's essentially a Flavor Cop, with a specific type of flavor. The Voyeur-Cop wasn't a Cop variant; it was just a Voyeur. And since the Cop Enabler wasn't actually a real role....

I FEEL MISLED, IS ALL.

Top Bottom