• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tucson, AZ Social/Rankings Thread (Updated 5/7/10!)

For our Tucson Power Rankings, how should order be decided?

• Panelist system

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • Challenges system

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Weekly Round Robin results

Votes: 27 36.5%

• Total voters

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
and Dark's legit, when I played him for the first time at B-wills, he was pretty tough, now granted I did beat him, but he was good and I had trouble beating him.. then the other times I've played him he's given me some form of difficulty.. I like Dark.. n_n, very respectful player to me/Axe =p

Honestly him/Light were the first two players I "liked" (besides Axe) at B-will's tourney I felt welcomed by them as they cheered Me/Axe on in doubles, as we entered in the competetive melee scene years ago.

I hope dark starts playing again. =D

EDIT: AND NO YOUR EXCUSES AREN'T LEGIT.. CUZ YOU ALWAYS HAVE THEM... You will NEVER find your so called "perfect controller" all those Johns you had when Joey beat you, saying "why are these matches this close?" Cuz Joey's good that's why.. YOU HAVE JOHNS EVERY MATCH...I'm sure if you were to beat idk Axe or whomever, your first words would be along the lines of "I have the perfect controller, blah blah blah, more self-promotional material, then the minute you get worked, it'd be back to the same old Xander Johns you always seem to have..

I actually hate arguing like this, I have absolutely no "dislike" for you at all, I just hate when you "deny" the truths of what me, and obviously everyone else here, notices and making Light even upset, seriously that ****s like Impossible.. All you have to do is make Axe upset and that's DOWNRIGHT IMPOSSIBLE.. only ONE person on these boards has EVER made him upset, and it's NOT you..

You honestly need a wake up call.

YEAH!

Smash Journeyman
YEAH! johns are for chumps! and you better listen to that derpdaberp that guys the ****! so get over yourself! and we gotta do ness dittos again! :D

EDIT: i feel like when were arguing with xander its the equivalent of a ***** and a prick

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
and Dark's legit, when I played him for the first time at B-wills, he was pretty tough, now granted I did beat him, but he was good and I had trouble beating him.. then the other times I've played him he's given me some form of difficulty.. I like Dark.. n_n, very respectful player to me/Axe =p

Honestly him/Light were the first two players I "liked" (besides Axe) at B-will's tourney I felt welcomed by them as they cheered Me/Axe on in doubles, as we entered in the competetive melee scene years ago.

I hope dark starts playing again. =D

EDIT: AND NO YOUR EXCUSES AREN'T LEGIT.. CUZ YOU ALWAYS HAVE THEM... You will NEVER find your so called "perfect controller" all those Johns you had when Joey beat you, saying "why are these matches this close?" Cuz Joey's good that's why.. YOU HAVE JOHNS EVERY MATCH...I'm sure if you were to beat idk Axe or whomever, your first words would be along the lines of "I have the perfect controller, blah blah blah, more self-promotional material, then the minute you get worked, it'd be back to the same old Xander Johns you always seem to have..

I actually hate arguing like this, I have absolutely no "dislike" for you at all, I just hate when you "deny" the truths of what me, and obviously everyone else here, notices and making Light even upset, seriously that ****s like Impossible.. All you have to do is make Axe upset and that's DOWNRIGHT IMPOSSIBLE.. only ONE person on these boards has EVER made him upset, and it's NOT you..

You honestly need a wake up call.
You definitely need to become more aquainted with me if you're going to try to call me out on this.

I have a perfectly fine controller. I haven't complained about it in the past few months that I've owned it.

If someone works me legit, I won't john about it. If I get read, props to the person who beats me, but if I get punished because I messed up execution. If I miss MY punishments due to missed execution, I'm going to complain about it. HOW IS THIS NOT LEGIT? I won't knock people who beat me because they outplayed me, etc, but if a large portion of my loss is my own fault, I'm going to complain about it. Sure, messing up technical skill IS my fault, and I'm always working on becoming more consistent, but it doesn't change the fact that it's extremely irritating knowing that they only got that hit not because I miss-spaced something, or because they baited me into making a mistake, but because I missed a button. Because adrenaline is making me jittery and get ahead of myself. Because my thumb locked up, or whatever else could possibly go wrong.

I do need to make it clear that I'm not always doing this to berate them, or knock their win. Complaining it my way of coping with things. It doesn't seem like the lot of you understand this.

Some people take deep breaths, or other things to deal with a loss, or frustration over things. I complain about them. I vent my anger, sadness, frustration, etc verbally.

Calling me out on my complaints is not legit. Get to REALLY know me, and MAYBE you can call me out on it.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
This isn't relevant to the argument directly, but Xander: Like Sean and I said and I'm not sure if you've come to realize it yet, is the importance of learning to play under pressure. You can't do the things you want to do when playing against Sean or me because you mess up under pressure. We're calm and focused with good spacing. If we mess up we keep our chin up and keep playing. You just let your nerves get the best with you and you make technical errors. It discourages you and it kills your momentum. You make more mistakes as a result.

Try finding out the things that keep you focused and keep you from getting discouraged. You say you play better when you're sleep deprived. If that's the case try it at the next tournament. Or just find another way. Once you figure that out, you'll make less mistakes. That also means less johns to irritate people :D

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
If someone works me legit, I won't john about it. If I get read, props to the person who beats me, but if I get punished because I messed up execution. If I miss MY punishments due to missed execution, I'm going to complain about it. HOW IS THIS NOT LEGIT? I won't knock people who beat me because they outplayed me, etc, but if a large portion of my loss is my own fault, I'm going to complain about it. Sure, messing up technical skill IS my fault, and I'm always working on becoming more consistent, but it doesn't change the fact that it's extremely irritating knowing that they only got that hit not because I miss-spaced something, or because they baited me into making a mistake, but because I missed a button. Because adrenaline is making me jittery and get ahead of myself. Because my thumb locked up, or whatever else could possibly go wrong.
Xander. Let me start off by saying I mean you no harm or ill-will at all when I say what I am about to say. Perhaps you might miss what you want to do, and it's good that you understand that it is your fault and no one else's. But complaining about it is not the way to solve the problem. It just hurts other people. Do you know why I find it so fun to play against Shiv, Tim, Ryan (Signia), and Jeff? Because they say good things or things that make me laugh while we are playing. It's so awesome to hear things like, "Hey! Quit moving around!" (Ryan) or "Whoa! Doo-doo!" (Jeff) or "It's the 100% counter." (Shiv) and, I haven't played with him enough, but I know Tim says things that are good. At any rate, they all do not say things that are negative, whether they are directed at anyone or not.

Also, missing an execution is part of the game. It's part of what makes the skill cap of Melee so high. Even the best players miss their button presses or what not. But if that costs you the match, perhaps you did not do enough otherwise to win. If you do not like being unable to perform a technique that you picture in your head, perhaps you should do something else that does not require timing like poker or Pokemon or porcupine petting or anything else with po, like pwn. Okay, so I got a little off topic, but you should get the general point.

For those of you who might say: Tl;dr...

-Everyone should try to be positive and not be negative.
-(During hobbies) If you hate not being able to do things, do something easier.

Pika-ka-pika-pikachu!
Jeff, hope you see that! Love y'all. <3

AXE 09

Smash Master
wtf! ok guys.... i'm confused

so i finally reached the part where i'm supposed to fight lugia in soul silver, right?

well after getting its health to almost zero and throwing like 15 ultra balls at it, i decided to do something random... and just throw a regular pokeball at it

and it caught it o.O

wtf? why?????

AXE 09

Smash Master
just read rob's post

and he touches on something that i've always been thinking throughout my entire smash career

people should compliment each other, and not continually talk down on one another. yes, i know what you all are thinking: "Jeff, you always say 'Wow! that guy was so freakin good!' after you 3 stock them". well, that's not exactly what i'm talking about

I'm trying to say that when you compliment someone on something that they did well, they're more likely to focus more on whatever you complimented them on and get better. If you play someone and beat them, and the only thing you say is "you got *****", then obviously that person is not gonna feel good about themselves.

Wanna know how I got to be at the skill level I'm at now? Wanna know what made me become the best Pikachu player in the country?

For the most part, it was the compliments and motivation that the SV crew gave to me. The person who had the most impact on me was Tim, aka v3ctorman.

He always encouraged me and had my back, no matter what I wanted to do, and no matter what my playstyle was. In fact, I can't think of a time where he EVER spoke negatively on my game. Even back when he was better than I was, every time he would beat me, he wouldn't say anything like "wow you suck" or "get *****" or anything like that. He would always compliment me on something good.

One of the first compliments that he ever gave me was "you're good at edgeguarding". Right after he said that, I immediately wanted to focus on my edgeguarding game. I wanted to make it so that whenever someone was off the stage, they'll never come back.

See what Tim did to me there? He made me want to play even more, and to improve my game (in this case, it was to improve edgeguarding). But throughout my entire smash career, tim has always encouraged me to keep playing, and he complimented me on good things that I did so I could continue to do them, or improve them. This made me want to play the game more, and I always had a blast playing tim

And look where I am now. Honestly, if i kept getting bashed for being a bad player, I probably wouldn't have continued to play. Because of the motivation that was given to me, and the amazing feeling of satisfaction that I experienced everytime he said stuff like "omg that combo was so amazing!!", I have become one of the top players.

Sorry this post is so long, but another thing.... Up here in phoenix, that motivation is what i'm missing. I'm not as excited to play anymore or anything, because the people that i play up here NEVER compliment me. In fact, they always find ways to bring me down.... As a melee player, I was having much more progress in SV, and also in Tucson. I hate the fact that everyone up here wants me to drop Pikachu, and they always talk down to me. I honestly feel like I'm losing it with pikachu because nobody likes it. I know that if they were to encourage it and compliment like Tim, Rob, Elvis, Shiv, or Joey does, then I'd continue to raise my skill level with him. I don't want to be just another falco player.

ok anyways....

TL;DR: Encourage smashers, don't talk down to everyone worse than you. This will result in our state having an amazing melee scene with high skilled players

I hate how some people think that talking crap to someone makes them "stronger". It sure as heck doesn't have that effect on me -_-

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
I'm the opposite. I always want criticism so I know what I'm doing wrong. It's easy to identify when something worked out well, but it can be hard to know if what you're doing is obvious.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Axe, don't you ever drop Pikachu.... please. And play melee with me more!

Oh and I can't remember who asked this but theres no way my bro and I will be able to make it down there during the school semester. End of may is the earliest we would be able to.

And it's true about the encouragement. Being told everyday that I suck or I got ***** or going into the New mexico thread and saying we're all garbage just makes me mad and want to do things other than play melee. If it's in a joking sense or funny then I'll have a laugh, but hearing it over and over is just frustrating. Treat others the way you want to be treated right? Don't john, play the game, and remember its a hobby so have fun!

<3 Light

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
So after not having been on here for a whole day, I come back and find a like a page and a half (I'm on 50 posts per page) of this whole discussion about Xander, in addition to the couple of days this has already been going on.

I'm tried of reading about this shit, let us move on please.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
This isn't relevant to the argument directly, but Xander: Like Sean and I said and I'm not sure if you've come to realize it yet, is the importance of learning to play under pressure. You can't do the things you want to do when playing against Sean or me because you mess up under pressure. We're calm and focused with good spacing. If we mess up we keep our chin up and keep playing. You just let your nerves get the best with you and you make technical errors. It discourages you and it kills your momentum. You make more mistakes as a result.

Try finding out the things that keep you focused and keep you from getting discouraged. You say you play better when you're sleep deprived. If that's the case try it at the next tournament. Or just find another way. Once you figure that out, you'll make less mistakes. That also means less johns to irritate people :D
Truth be told Jackie, you don't put me under any pressure, but I will say that nobody punishes my bad habits, and bad spacing nearly as hard as you do, except for Kyle when he still played. Sean's Fox and Jeff's Falco on the contrary overwhelm me to the point where it becomes a chore just to move around, and the fact that Sean intimidates me. Jeff doesn't really intimidate me, but when we do Falco dittos on stages like Pokemon Stadium, or Final Destination, he just death combos me 4 stocks in a row, and SDI's out of MY combos.

I do play better sleep deprived. The tournament where I very nearly beat you I only had a few hours of sleep spread out through the week. It's not exactly healthy, though.

I'm starting to learn the important of learning to cope with pressure, but I'll admit that I've always been rather poor at dealing with it.

tw1n

Smash Champion
His whole long awesome post....
<3 you V3ctorMan

This thread is now about Taj and his amazing commentary.
Dude his commentary is freakin amazing!!!

Sorry this post is so long, but another thing.... Up here in phoenix, that motivation is what i'm missing. I'm not as excited to play anymore or anything, because the people that i play up here NEVER compliment me. In fact, they always find ways to bring me down.... As a melee player, I was having much more progress in SV, and also in Tucson. I hate the fact that everyone up here wants me to drop Pikachu, and they always talk down to me. I honestly feel like I'm losing it with pikachu because nobody likes it. I know that if they were to encourage it and compliment like Tim, Rob, Elvis, Shiv, or Joey does, then I'd continue to raise my skill level with him. I don't want to be just another falco player.
Please never drop Pikachu... It will break my heart and make me quit playing smash...

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
just read rob's post

and he touches on something that i've always been thinking throughout my entire smash career

people should compliment each other, and not continually talk down on one another. yes, i know what you all are thinking: "Jeff, you always say 'Wow! that guy was so freakin good!' after you 3 stock them". well, that's not exactly what i'm talking about

I'm trying to say that when you compliment someone on something that they did well, they're more likely to focus more on whatever you complimented them on and get better. If you play someone and beat them, and the only thing you say is "you got *****", then obviously that person is not gonna feel good about themselves.

Wanna know how I got to be at the skill level I'm at now? Wanna know what made me become the best Pikachu player in the country?

For the most part, it was the compliments and motivation that the SV crew gave to me. The person who had the most impact on me was Tim, aka v3ctorman.

He always encouraged me and had my back, no matter what I wanted to do, and no matter what my playstyle was. In fact, I can't think of a time where he EVER spoke negatively on my game. Even back when he was better than I was, every time he would beat me, he wouldn't say anything like "wow you suck" or "get *****" or anything like that. He would always compliment me on something good.

One of the first compliments that he ever gave me was "you're good at edgeguarding". Right after he said that, I immediately wanted to focus on my edgeguarding game. I wanted to make it so that whenever someone was off the stage, they'll never come back.

See what Tim did to me there? He made me want to play even more, and to improve my game (in this case, it was to improve edgeguarding). But throughout my entire smash career, tim has always encouraged me to keep playing, and he complimented me on good things that I did so I could continue to do them, or improve them. This made me want to play the game more, and I always had a blast playing tim

And look where I am now. Honestly, if i kept getting bashed for being a bad player, I probably wouldn't have continued to play. Because of the motivation that was given to me, and the amazing feeling of satisfaction that I experienced everytime he said stuff like "omg that combo was so amazing!!", I have become one of the top players.

ok anyways....

TL;DR: Encourage smashers, don't talk down to everyone worse than you. This will result in our state having an amazing melee scene with high skilled players

I hate how some people think that talking crap to someone makes them "stronger". It sure as heck doesn't have that effect on me -_-

Anyone who plays me should know that I always compliment them when they do something good. Especially with the newer players like Sean and Ryan McCarthy, since we want them to play more/get better.

Sure I act like a douche on the boards sometimes, I'll admit that, but that doesn't reflect who I am at all.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Jeff! You're an inspiration for me as a player. Please don't ever drop Pikachu! And always have Falco as a backup (Ganon lulz!). Pikachu is important to you as Peach is important to me - that's kind of a big deal.

Whenever we played Jeff, even if you ***** me super hard without lube and something hard and sandpapery, I still felt good because you would compliment on things I did well.

Jackie, I like when you tell me things I do well and things I need to work on, without being a douchebag about it lol. :)

I <3 everyone and we should play Smash every day until we are all professionals and AZ is the best state in the country for Melee (and Brawl too haha).

<3 <3 <3

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Jeff! You're an inspiration for me as a player. Please don't ever drop Pikachu! And always have Falco as a backup (Ganon lulz!). Pikachu is important to you as Peach is important to me - that's kind of a big deal.

Whenever we played Jeff, even if you ***** me super hard without lube and something hard and sandpapery, I still felt good because you would compliment on things I did well.

Jackie, I like when you tell me things I do well and things I need to work on, without being a douchebag about it lol. :)

I <3 everyone and we should play Smash every day until we are all professionals and AZ is the best state in the country for Melee (and Brawl too haha).

<3 <3 <3
Kyle we need to play more. =D

I have all the videos on my HDD but my internet is going so slow I can't upload them.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
<3 you V3ctorMan

Dude his commentary is freakin amazing!!!

Please never drop Pikachu... It will break my heart and make me quit playing smash...

Twin(s) I've NEVER seen your magic and I refuse to look at youtube at your tricks, I wanna see them for the first time and have that WTF... blargklds gjldkgn dflnd;lgnsd'gmad;lgjd'gndfl type of moment!!

<3 twins.

Axe...Much love! <3

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
you know those cartoons where the character would have an angel on one shoulder, and a devil on the other during times of predicament (like a recent dairy queen commercial)?

Jeff should be the good side of AZ, and I should be the evil side of AZ.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Seeing the twins mind**** people the time they traveled down to AZ is by far one of the best experiences I've had in melee, I won't lie.

MacD

Banned via Administration
hey axe, when we say that you "cheat" with pika that means good job, wow, you are amazing... unless you are actually cheating then shame on you

also you paused you jerk!!!!!!

forward

Smash Champion
Dear Jeff,

I speak about smash, a majority of the time, from an objective stand point. I try to discourage your use of pikachu and encourage your use of Falco because I believe that is where your strong points lay and that is how you will improve. I believe you will see better success in tournaments if you played Falco. At NSH, you didn't beat anyone noteworthy with your pikachu besides Eddie Mexico. Your matches against Brad, Hugo, and me were all won because of your Falco, and not pikachu. I believe your Pikachu only does as well as it does because people are unfamiliar with the match up. Your pikachu only seems to do worse the more you use it against a certain player.

Since I know you love compliments now, I'll say that your Falco is tight. Seriously. When you play well with Falco you turn it into art. It is very impressive.

I like to talk trash when I play melee, that is one way I have fun. Pulling off a sick combo and telling the person they just got read/****ed up/owned is like icing on the cake, and it's great because the person knows its true. If they joke back with me and say "whatever, you got lucky/that was random and it won't happen it again" etc then to me it makes it ever more fun, it's like they are challenging me to prove that I can **** them again, so that's what I try to do. I don't usually say stuff like that though unless I am comfortable with the person or I know they also enjoy that kind of trash talk.

For some others I get the vibe that they like playing the complimenting game, and that's cool too. If I think someone pulls off a nice combo or read or something then I can tell them, that's no problem, and if they like to compliment something I do then thanks.

I prefer the verbal sparring though, it's like you are doing a rap battle at the same time you play melee.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Truth be told Jackie, you don't put me under any pressure, but I will say that nobody punishes my bad habits, and bad spacing nearly as hard as you do, except for Kyle when he still played. Sean's Fox and Jeff's Falco on the contrary overwhelm me to the point where it becomes a chore just to move around, and the fact that Sean intimidates me. Jeff doesn't really intimidate me, but when we do Falco dittos on stages like Pokemon Stadium, or Final Destination, he just death combos me 4 stocks in a row, and SDI's out of MY combos.

I do play better sleep deprived. The tournament where I very nearly beat you I only had a few hours of sleep spread out through the week. It's not exactly healthy, though.

I'm starting to learn the important of learning to cope with pressure, but I'll admit that I've always been rather poor at dealing with it.
Makes sense now that I think about it. Sean and Jeff have tech skill so they can do all that without getting punished with shieldgrabs and stupid things like that. I don't practice, just play so I'm more reactionary to other players. I just let you move around freely but learn your habits and forward smash wherever I expect you to land lol.

Jeff, you should get good to the point where your Pikachu gets intimidating. Sure people know they're going to get *****, but Pikachu is just too adorable. You need to find a way to get past that.

I really don't have time to play Pokemon but I really want to buy it just for the Pokewalker. It'll take like a month for me to reach the Elite Four haha. I'm thinking about getting Soul Silver? Or is that a stupid move because of something broken in Gold?

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
I enjoy your trash talking.

We should play Brawl this weekend. I need MK practice, stop leaving for the weekend.

Edit: Jackie, I really don't think there is something really broken you would obtain in either game. As always the pokemon games are pretty, much mirrored except with the handful of pokemon that are exclusive to each version, In terms of legendaries, they really aren't used unless you play somone who wants to do a legendary battle.

If you didn't know what's exclusive, you can look here

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Makes sense now that I think about it. Sean and Jeff have tech skill so they can do all that without getting punished with shieldgrabs and stupid things like that. I don't practice, just play so I'm more reactionary to other players. I just let you move around freely but learn your habits and forward smash wherever I expect you to land lol.

Jeff, you should get good to the point where your Pikachu gets intimidating. Sure people know they're going to get *****, but Pikachu is just too adorable. You need to find a way to get past that.

I really don't have time to play Pokemon but I really want to buy it just for the Pokewalker. It'll take like a month for me to reach the Elite Four haha. I'm thinking about getting Soul Silver? Or is that a stupid move because of something broken in Gold?
Soul Silver has most of the better pokemon, but Heart Gold has Kyogre.

Top Bottom