• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tucson, AZ Social/Rankings Thread (Updated 5/7/10!)

For our Tucson Power Rankings, how should order be decided?

• Panelist system

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • Challenges system

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Weekly Round Robin results

Votes: 27 36.5%

• Total voters

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Aladdin was way better than mulan and slightly better than hercules.

Hades did bad things but Jafar was straight up evil! He sent that homeless guy to his death at the promise of riches, wasn't phased. Tried to kill jasmine while singing. In the second one he just about killed everybody O.o

Hades sent minions out after people. Woopty do. Jafar got his *** in the game and did something. Not sit on the sidelines making poor calls.

And.... Iago was the **** :p

Jane

Smash Hero
i hope i get a super awesome color and title...

here we go!

aww, no title, but cool color lol

oh wait, i am a mod now! yay!

tw1n

Smash Champion
Lol ya no kidding =]

Aladdin = better movie overall. It comes down to this
SONGS!!!
Prince Ali > Make a man out of you. Although both are great =D

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
What the **** has this thread become? We all know that Lion King is the best. Jk Aladdin takes the cake but it is fun to see Mufasa get killed...

Jane

Smash Hero
wall-e is another one of my favs

i watched that movie high as giraffe p*ssy the first time. it blew my mind on so many levels

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Mmm, you guys don't have to agree with me; but I liked Pirates of the Caribbean a lot. :)

Also, got a question to pose to all of you. If you had to pick one sole deciding factor as to why Melee is better than Brawl (Or perhaps the other way around if you do so please), what would that be?

AXE 09

Smash Master
Melee has amazing combos :)

and i loved Disney's UP

but i also love the classics like lion king and aladin

disney's just amazing lol. and i <3 kingdom hearts

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
The category was 2-D, gentlemen! :)

And dude, Hades was way funny
And a mutha ****in GOD
And his hair was fire.

Can't you imagine lighting your joint on his dome? lol

@ Rob: Jackie pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one. More options to forgo boring Brawl essentials like camping and stalling.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
being able to cancel your initial dash animation

i.e. wavedash, shield during dash, dashdancing

Jane

Smash Hero
rob i also love PotC, all three of them. and UP, i was seriously on the verge of tears the first time i watched it
when carl's wife dies and all that )':

and to answer your question, the fast paced nature of the game

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Less campy, faster paced, less infinites.

Although the pace can be ok at times, the fact that the campier playstyle is taking over and winning is depressing. A lot of the top brawl players don't seem to play with honor and instead play with the "whatever it takes to win" playstyle. Thats why Dekar and Ally at Pound were both timed out twice by metaknights who hit then ran away for 8 minutes.

The only time you will ever see a time out in melee is if it's a samus ditto, or pink shinobe vs some people at genesis (and nothing against that guy. Just didn't like that strategy at Genesis)

And the best thing about Disney: Marvel comics.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Light timed out some people too.

I've nearly timed out Kyle and Rob on several occasions, but not for the sake of timing them out for a victory.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Although the pace can be ok at times, the fact that the campier playstyle is taking over and winning is depressing. A lot of the top brawl players don't seem to play with honor and instead play with the "whatever it takes to win" playstyle.
I feel the exact same way. This is a very big reason why I love playing melee as well. I don't wanna just camp all day. It's not honorable and it's just plain boring -_- This is why I highly respect good players such as Armada, Lovage, Dr. PP, SS, etc. IMO, they all have very respectable playstyles that i LOVE watching. I honestly look up to players like these.

Although... I understand that the idea of a "respectable" playstyle can differ from player to player. I know that some people think it's amazingly intelligent for a player to mostly gimp their enemies to death, or to be smart enough to get a slight lead and camp them forever, or... you know. there's many things.

Idk if i'm the only one, but I'm highly fascinated by techskill, and I have a high amount of respect to players who can use large amounts of techskill in a way that is origional, and is also able to keep up with the top professionals. That is the kind of player I want to be.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
It's definitely time to update the Tucson Melee Power Rankings!

Chris, please text me sometime soon and I can get on AIM or something to discuss changes to the roster.

Btw, thanks for hosting! I had an awesome time smashing with everyone. I feel like I got a lot better in one night and makes me even more excited to play with you guys again in the near future! Also, please tell Rachel that I love her and I'm going straight for her. Kthx. <3

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I hope people don't count my having an off-day at chris' place as grounds for placing me lower than Kyle, especially since I never went Falco against him.

If anyone says having a headache and being hungry as not legit, something is seriously wrong with them, and I'll be more than happy to explain what hypoglycemia is, and what it can do to someone.

But on that note, I do want to apologize for acting up near the end of the day. I was extremely frustrate with alot of different things. combine that with fatigue, hunger, and a splitting headache, I just couldn't stop myself from acting like a complete and total *******.

Rob and Kyle made me realize just how many bad habits I have, and how little variance is in my game play, but at the same time I've also come to realize just how different my views and opinions on the game are from everyone elses.

I can't count technical errors as "mistakes." I could practice for a hundred million hours on my own, and study every aspect of the game, but little to none of that actually transfers to how someone plays in-game. When I'm actually playing, it feels like maybe three-fourths of my knowledge about the game, and technical skill is inaccessible, or I just completely forget about a whole plethora of options, and strategies. Sometimes I'll forget even some of the most rudimentary strategies because I've omitted them for newer ones I've developed recently, or are currently trying to develop.

I just really hate how much momentum can be lost from the smallest of things. Like I was complaining about, it's just so irritating having complete control of the stage against Chris for example, and I either mess up a SHL and do a standing laser, or I approach, and do a standing laser instead of a shine, and just lose a stock because Chris tech chased me off the technical blunder.

There are other examples, such as dash dancing. I bait a roll, or an attack, and attempt to either dd grab, or pivot grab, and just run off in the complete opposite direction and grab off in no-mans land, or making a tech read, and just jumping over their head like a ****** because I messed up a jump cancel grab/up smash.

I hate losing stocks because I'm trying to do a wave land from the ledge and instead I do the ledge jump.

and most of all I just absolutely hate it when I go for shine > wavedash > grab/usmash and I either do a full-jump, or I air dodge, and get *****.

I don't consider any of those "mistakes". I feel like all of them could be prevented if I played more often, and had more experience. My consistency is definitely improving as I play more and more, but until I'm consistent to the point that I mess something up maybe one in 10 games, or 20 games, I'll never be as good as I want to be.

It might just be me, but it is the worst feeling in the world knowing that you were overall playing better, but you lose anyways because you're inconsistent on execution. People have said on several occasions to focus more and smarts and less on technical skill, but they don't realize that my smarts require my technical skill to be on-par. I'm not trying to do needlessly flashy things, I'm just trying to do essentials, or rather, things I feel that should be CONSIDERED essential, like pivots, jump cancels, wave shines, double shines with falco, etc. Almost all of my punishment game is based off dd grab, pivot grab, and shine combos, which is basically the standard fox/falco meta game. Because I'm inconsistent, I can perform at a standard maybe 50 or 60% of the time, and I can only perform at my personal best maybe 10~25% of the time.

It's just depressing/infuriating knowing that your opponent is going to do x, and you're in the position to do y, but you either fail action y, or mess up and do action z and get beaten by x. I.E. Kyle is approaching with float and I'm dash dancing. I'm weaving in and out of his range for forward air, which would be x. My options are either dd grab, nair > shine, or drill > shine > grab/usmash. He does what I expect and fair, and I ATTEMPT to drill shine. I get the drill off, and shine him, but I accidentally full jump. He's no longer stunned and I land on his down smash. This leads into a dash attack, which leads into a chain grab, to either a death throw, or a platform tech chase. I just either got zero to deathed, or eat anywhere between 20~60% damage for free because I messed up my wave dash after the shine. Explain to me how in that scenario, Kyle outplayed me, or overall did something better than me, knowing that by all rights, he should have taken anywhere between 30% damage, to losing a stock depending on various factors.

Explain to me how controlling the space of FD versus Chris' Falcon with my Falco and I mess up and do a standing laser, and get ***** in the face when up until that moment, with no action of chris', I lost all momentum, is considered a mistake, or somehow being outplayed.

I consider a mistake to be a lapse in judgment, like incorrectly predicting what my opponent is going to do,or being baited into a false opening, and getting punished for it, misjudging how far his or my attacks are going to go, or misjudging how they're going to recover, or where someone's going to land, etc.

Basically I lump "mistakes" into "Out playing, and being out played." Maybe it's skewed logic, maybe it's not. That's just how I think, and why I get irritated alot with smash, and specifically, myself.

Sean/Chris/Jackie: I want to play with you guys more often, and specifically, I really want to get better in any way possible. The areas I need to improve the most are variance and working out bad habits.

Kyle: I want to play with you alot more too, but you should already know this, but I figure I might as well say it again. You're really good at punishing my mistakes, my bad spacing, my lack of variance, and my bad habits, and you and rob helped me realize just how much of a one-trick-pony I really am, and I feel like that, and just more experience will help elevate me into the higher echelons of competitive play.

tl;dr: **** you, this is important. Read the entire thing.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Idk if i'm the only one, but I'm highly fascinated by techskill, and I have a high amount of respect to players who can use large amounts of techskill in a way that is origional, and is also able to keep up with the top professionals. That is the kind of player I want to be.
I am too man... mostly because my tech skill is... well bad lol. Hence why I love watching falco dittos haha.

Edit: You Kyle (twin A) look at your post count... its the devil!!!

forward

Smash Champion
Explain to me how in that scenario, Kyle outplayed me, or overall did something better than me, knowing that by all rights, he should have taken anywhere between 30% damage, to losing a stock depending on various factors.

Explain to me how controlling the space of FD versus Chris' Falcon with my Falco and I mess up and do a standing laser, and get ***** in the face when up until that moment, with no action of chris', I lost all momentum, is considered a mistake, or somehow being outplayed.

I consider a mistake to be a lapse in judgment, like incorrectly predicting what my opponent is going to do,or being baited into a false opening, and getting punished for it, misjudging how far his or my attacks are going to go, or misjudging how they're going to recover, or where someone's going to land, etc.
[/B]
So you land your drill > shine because the other person made a mistake, by your definition, and you get to punish them. You **** up punishing them and you do 10%.

Once you **** up, which by your definition is not making a mistake but a technical blunder we'll say, they do 20% to a stock to you.

The other person outplays you in the punishment game.

The other problem is that you think you're outplaying someone for getting a couple of reads on them. Of course you are controlling the stage against Chris on FD, it's Falco vs Falcon. Falcon's goal in that match up is to avoid taking damage until you, the Falco, either make a mistake or a technical blunder, and punish you as hard as he can, if he does that then he succeeds. He wins.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Being at school with Sean ftw.

By the way, I should be taken off the PR for this. I'm essentially "quitting" this game for MPH. ****, I know.

The PR should be....

Sean,Chris,Jackie,Xander,Kyle,Shiv,Rob,Tommy,Chubbz,Jane

^ Holy **** is that really ALL the people who play a lot now? Danggggggggggg

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
I hope people don't count my having an off-day at chris' place as grounds for placing me lower than Kyle, especially since I never went Falco against him.
Off-day john? C'mon now. You say that too often that it makes the truth that the bad is your average. It's a statement made ignorant to the fact that other people can have bad days when you play good against them. Just don't ever say "bad smash day" again unless you're trolling.

If anyone says having a headache and being hungry as not legit, something is seriously wrong with them, and I'll be more than happy to explain what hypoglycemia is, and what it can do to someone.
Don't end up like one of those Koreans that end up hospitalized because they spend too much time on their computer games. The best players there work out and eat right so they have physical stamina which is indeed needed for video games. If you don't eat then of course you'll pay the consequences. No hypoglycemia johns!

But on that note, I do want to apologize for acting up near the end of the day. I was extremely frustrate with alot of different things. combine that with fatigue, hunger, and a splitting headache, I just couldn't stop myself from acting like a complete and total *******.
I haven't witnessed you apologize much in the past so it's good to see you step up with that.

I can't count technical errors as "mistakes." I could practice for a hundred million hours on my own, and study every aspect of the game, but little to none of that actually transfers to how someone plays in-game. When I'm actually playing, it feels like maybe three-fourths of my knowledge about the game, and technical skill is inaccessible, or I just completely forget about a whole plethora of options, and strategies. Sometimes I'll forget even some of the most rudimentary strategies because I've omitted them for newer ones I've developed recently, or are currently trying to develop.
That fits into what I say about playing under pressure. You don't need to acknowledge how all that practice doesn't reward you as much as you like. Playing more with good people is pretty much it, but you're aware of that.

I just really hate how much momentum can be lost from the smallest of things. Like I was complaining about, it's just so irritating having complete control of the stage against Chris for example, and I either mess up a SHL and do a standing laser, or I approach, and do a standing laser instead of a shine, and just lose a stock because Chris tech chased me off the technical blunder.
Then go play Brawl. Seriously.

There are other examples, such as dash dancing. I bait a roll, or an attack, and attempt to either dd grab, or pivot grab, and just run off in the complete opposite direction and grab off in no-mans land, or making a tech read, and just jumping over their head like a ****** because I messed up a jump cancel grab/up smash.
That again is something you need to practice against real people. Or get a pro action replay and turn on infinite shield to practice against that so you can get those timings down.

I hate losing stocks because I'm trying to do a wave land from the ledge and instead I do the ledge jump.

and most of all I just absolutely hate it when I go for shine > wavedash > grab/usmash and I either do a full-jump, or I air dodge, and get *****.
Unfortunately that happens to everyone :/ the ledge hop is the least obvious of a technical blunder but it gets everyone knee'd or bair'd.

It might just be me, but it is the worst feeling in the world knowing that you were overall playing better, but you lose anyways because you're inconsistent on execution. People have said on several occasions to focus more and smarts and less on technical skill, but they don't realize that my smarts require my technical skill to be on-par. I'm not trying to do needlessly flashy things, I'm just trying to do essentials, or rather, things I feel that should be CONSIDERED essential, like pivots, jump cancels, wave shines, double shines with falco, etc. Almost all of my punishment game is based off dd grab, pivot grab, and shine combos, which is basically the standard fox/falco meta game. Because I'm inconsistent, I can perform at a standard maybe 50 or 60% of the time, and I can only perform at my personal best maybe 10~25% of the time.
None of those things are essential except jump cancels and waveshines. Important yes, but pivots? Mind gamey but hardly necessary. You'll only need to worry about polishing those things once you have the basics down, which you still don't have well enough to make you pro. It's like trying to learn Flight of the Bumblebee on an instrument but you can't even play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on tempo without messing up.

Your dd isn't great that I've noticed. Maybe against the other Tucson players but I nair you out of it too easily. Stopping with shield and the out of shield game might be something you could try working on more? I can't analyze that part well though since I haven't played you enough recently.

It's just depressing/infuriating knowing that your opponent is going to do x, and you're in the position to do y, but you either fail action y, or mess up and do action z and get beaten by x. I.E. Kyle is approaching with float and I'm dash dancing. I'm weaving in and out of his range for forward air, which would be x. My options are either dd grab, nair > shine, or drill > shine > grab/usmash. He does what I expect and fair, and I ATTEMPT to drill shine. I get the drill off, and shine him, but I accidentally full jump. He's no longer stunned and I land on his down smash. This leads into a dash attack, which leads into a chain grab, to either a death throw, or a platform tech chase. I just either got zero to deathed, or eat anywhere between 20~60% damage for free because I messed up my wave dash after the shine. Explain to me how in that scenario, Kyle outplayed me, or overall did something better than me, knowing that by all rights, he should have taken anywhere between 30% damage, to losing a stock depending on various factors.

^
Sean's wisdom hits the spot.

Being at school with Sean ftw.

By the way, I should be taken off the PR for this. I'm essentially "quitting" this game for MPH. ****, I know.

The PR should be....

Sean,Chris,Jackie,Xander,Kyle,Shiv,Rob,Tommy,Chubbz,Jane

^ Holy **** is that really ALL the people who play a lot now? Danggggggggggg
Miles per hour? Metroid Prime Hunters? What is it?

lol quitting smash

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Miles per hour? Metroid Prime Hunters? What is it?

lol quitting smash
Metroid Prime Hunters, hit it on the head.

If you think quitting smash is so lolable, then you should try quitting MPH, really. When the only way you can quit a game is by breaking it, there's something seriously wrong with how addicting the game is.

Time spent on MPH: 2000 hours(this was in a year, maybe a little less than a year)

Pretty sure I haven't even spent 2000 hours on Melee yet.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
So, Smashboards was down when I tried to post this, but...
Tech skill, or lapses in it, is certainly part of the game. If you want tech skill to not be involved, play the game tool-assisted, or play a game that is easier. When my friend is competing in his Soul Calibur tournaments, I know he hates it when he messes up his 236-236 motions (QCF, QCF motions). But it is still part of the game. If you take a stock, that should show you how much more important it is not to make those mistakes. Think about some more fundamental techniques for example. A new player who just started playing the game might think wavedashing is hard, that he or she can only do it 50 or 60% of the time. Maybe they think short hopping is hard. Perhaps they even think “not rolling” is difficult. They practice it, and rarely make those mistakes. If you still make certain mistakes, just know that they might happen and do whatever it takes to “outplay” the other person to the point where it won’t matter if you make that mistake. If you can punish their accidental roll or whatever for the same or more percent than they punished your mistake; you are, in fact, the better player.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Its true what J4 said about the eating and working out. The most famous pro gamer fatal1ty plays tennis every day just so he can keep in a good physical state. Go for a walk or do some puch ups. You won't regret it later. Oh and try to eat somewhat healthy. If it turns out that you're going to be eating junk food anyways, then just try eating less. Don't eat until your stomach is full and you feel it, eat till your body is content.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Most of the best smashers are pretty physically active now that I think of it. Sean and Tony definitely. Rob I don't know. Mango yes. I've heard M2K lifts weights when he's on AIM (I think you told me that Sean). Ken was weak and skinny as **** but he's Asian so he's naturally good at anything he tries :p /racism

Twin_A

Smash Champion
I thought forward was being sarcastic until jetty agreed :p

Tony is scary to box against. I wonder what would happen if he and I went all out in a match. It would all depend on if I could get in on him or not lol.

And M2K's bicepts are freaky! But thats because all he does is triangle pushups so it creates a ton of muscle isolation in his upper bicept and mid/upper chest.

DaShizWiz, now that guy is built O.o He makes me and my bro look like toothpicks.

And the only workout I know of mango ding was when he boxed me :p

Top Bottom