• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transmissions to Hocotate - Olimar Video Archive and Critique Thread

Asa

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mkKbgpVg_Q&feature=related

match 2 was pretty bad.. critiques welcome :D

@clover: jesus some of those games were unadulterated ****..

i couldn't really find much to say, you kinda bodied them in most of those games lol. Your DI on ike's jab combo was usually pretty bad tho, and you chose some poor times to roll in the delfino match (cost you your 1st stock) and the halberd match(rolled into an usmash lol). You'll roll when he gets close to you, and you ended up eating a nair->jab combo or something worse. you also have a habit of SH'ing pikmin, may want to do more grounded pikmin toss as well?

you also ledgedrop->double jump ->whistle hella (at least on the halberd match). The whistle kinda looks autopiloted, the ike could've gimped you for that with a bair (he hit with nair instead). And, seeing the 6th game, he does get you with a bair after you try whistling from the ledge XD

might wanna try incorporating instant returns to your ledge game.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Wow, I completely forgot about this. ^^;
Thanks for the criticism, Asa. I'll take a look at yours as soon as it finishes loading
Instant return... I have a difficult time incorporating it now. It just seems inferior to some of the faster ledge options. Only time I can see it being really useful now is when someone's just sitting by the ledge shielding.

Also, two more matches:
SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) v. PantyRaider (G&W)
1 2

EDIT: Yeesh... Sorry, I can't watch streams like that. The jumpiness gave me a really bad headache.

- One thing I did notice before I closed it was that you were controlling the pace REALLY well for the first stock, but then you just let him get a bunch of free damage when he came back on his second.
IIRC, the two Fsmashes he got on you did like... 40% and probably could have been avoided. The first one, you didn't confirm that your first Usmash connected before trying to hit with a second. The second, I believe you just kind of DI'd right into him (kind of hazy about this one, though; my memory isn't that great).
- You whistled the Thunder follow-ups well, but look at WHY you were up there. IIRC, the first was from an Fsmash (mentioned above) and the second was from his Dsmash (IIRC, from an airdodge at the ledge?).
- You always have the ledge to go to and you shouldn't be in such a hurry to get off of it. On that note, it kind of seemed that you were trying to match his pace the entire match, but you really don't have to do that.

I wrote all this in a stream-of-consciousness manner, so the points are kind of related to each other.
Is there any way you could get these matches in recorded replays rather than stream?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Some more crap for criticism:

PantyRaider (G&W) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
1 2 3

PantyRaider (Marth) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
1 2

Mike2 (Snake) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)

Kinda feeling like my playstyle's stagnated. :<

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yep. Watched the whole thing, Oreo.

-Use more uair when pressuring opponents in the air/on platforms.
-You jumped towards the diddy when he was in the air and just air dodged. Don't do that. It put you right next to him in air dodge lag, without you being able to space against him, while he was in range of hitting you. This is not good.
-Try to stay grounded as much as possible. When you leave the ground, do so only to space aerials against the opponent or to get out of sticky situations. Olimar is not an airborne fighter.
-Seeing more situations you're allowing the diddy to just land/sit on the platform unpunished. Olimar's platform pressure is too strong to not take advantage of.
-If you're in banana range, do not jump to throw pikmin unless Diddy is preoccupied with something else. By banana range I mean the distance of Diddy's glide toss + his toss range + probably some more space as well which is pretty much the whole stage, haha. -Play safe when Diddy either has a banana or is near one. Having to land as Olimar while dealing with bananas (whether they're flying at you or zoning out your landing) is an important thing to avoid.
-If you downthrow an opponent that isn't in combo percents, you should usually do one of two things. Either 1) Watch their landing and try to call them out with a followup, or 2) get some space while keeping pressure and watching their reaction, taking notes in your head that you can apply the next time downthrow them. Almost everyone has habits when put under certain forms of pressure. Look for these habits and figure out how you can punish them.
- 0:47 was a good nair opportunity, but you might not have noticed. Diddy ran right at you, defenseless. A nair there would have been most likely unexpected, comboing into an up smash. You'll see more of these opportunities the more you play Olimar.
-Just noticed you aren't fsmashing at all. And the Diddy's approaching from the ground mostly. Do more of that. It's also better in closer up situations than grab is. If you and the opponent are on equal grounds at mid range, don't grab, because it puts you at a disadvantage immediately after that can be punished. Use grab when you know you'll be safe afterwards. Otherwise, fsmash, because it's safer during its cooldown, and is just as good, if not better, for zoning. Use grab more for punishing.
-NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER APPROACH WITH DASH GRAB. It's a habit most Olimar players have had at one point in time. Dash grab is used for punishing and surprises. If you have to take more than one step before you're in grab range, your opponent better be about to undergo some major lag or something or you better be using some other ****ing move, haha. What does dash grab do? Puts you in lag right in front of your opponent when you miss, or causes you to get hit by something because Olimar is stupid and doesn't have grab armor. Don't dash grab. Space with standing grab, fsmash, fair, pikmin toss, whatever. But don't do something that screams "hey guy you want candy?" because THAT'S WHAT HITTING OLIMAR TASTES LIKE. IT'S ****ING SWEET AND DELICIOUS.
-Throw more pikmin from the ground. You don't have to worry about landing (****ty situation for Olimar to be in) and you'll still have access to your main spacing tools. These tools are extremely important in this matchup, so make sure they're available as often as possible.
-When wanting to pick up a banana, what I usually do is run towards it, tap down when I get right next to it, and then hit A. Forces Olimar to stop right before he picks up the banana so I don't have to dash attack to grab it. This is good for characters like GW that have ****ty dash attacks for picking up items, or characters that just have ****ty dash attacks. And for Olimar because you don't want to undergo lag when you don't have to or you're gonna get ****ed up.
-Throw white pikmin. Always.
-Speaking of pikmin, until you get really good at watching your line, do what I did. At first, watch your line for just purples. Pay attention to where all of your purples are. If you can't do that all of the time, at least pay attention to when a purple comes up 2-3 spaces in line. Plan ahead for what you're going to use this purple for (you're going to throw it at the other dude). Purples have ****ty outcome most of the time if you use them for the wrong thing (I'm talking about grabs). But if you watch for them, you can change your next approach at the situation to affect it. Such as, grabbing in a way that a purple would be successful in, that another wouldn't (purples are good for punishing close quarter spot dodges, since it sits in place with the grab box open, outlasting spot dodges at times. Other grabs will pass by the enemy). Red, yellow, and blues don't have as terrible of outcomes or as rewarding of outcomes as purples can, in most situations. Whites, however, do have comparable terrible outcomes. So, after you get down watching for purples, whites come next. Watch for every time a white is coming up and toss that **** at the other guy. Always. Be ready for it like "okay this ****ty pikmin's coming up in 3... 2..." and by the time 1 rolls around, be like five miles away from the guy ready to throw it at him. Why always throw white pikmin? Who ****ing cares if they're okay at grabs. Because you want that white trash to either 1) get swatted down by the enemy and die, 2) latch on and deal a million damage then get hit and die, or 3) miss the other guy, fall off the stage, and die. Win win. Don't put yourself in a situation to where you're reliant on one move (grab) that white is at all useful for, while being mid range to the opponent, vulnerable to pressure. After you get good at watching for whites and purples and reacting accordingly to them coming up, you'll probably be able to keep track of your whole line. It'll train you to watch your next X amount of pikmin and you'll be able to plan ahead and adapt to the situation, and keep yourself from putting yourself in situations where the next pikmin up gives you a disadvantage.
-Missing a lot more landing nair opportunities. If you're above the opponent and they whiff and attack, or spot dodge too early, throw it out as a punish and combo it into up smash.
-4:02 You were on the left corner of the stage, Diddy was on the right. You ran all the way to the right corner of the stage and dash grabbed. Don't do that.
-Just saw the end of the first game, haha. Gonna put a section at the end about recovering XD

-Oh man this song. This song that played all the time at smashfests. Was hoping I wouldn't have to hear it again. Haha.
-Nair -> Usmash you did it!
-Fair is also a really good punish if they're outside of nair range when you're landing and they're in some form of lag. You missed an opportunity around 5:00, after he whiffed a monkey kick.
-He's slowly closing in on you, clearing pikmin all the while. Fsmash counters this.
-When you get a banana, save it. Wait for an opening. Banana is priority that Olimar doesn't normally have, that combos into ****ing whatever you want (but usually grab).
-Don't try to punish things with dash attack when there's a better option (usually grab).
-Don't up throw with anything but blues and purples and only when they're at kill percents. Yellow up throw will kill at like 200% and red at ****ing nobody cares-percents.
-Your landings are really vulnerable. Someone that knows how to punish this, will. It's one of Olimar's most vulnerable situations. Don't land near the enemy, and if you have to, try to have a hitbox in their way, or beat out what they're doing with a surprise nair.
-Lol @ two low percent purple grabs in a row. I'd be crying.
-You recovered to the stage when Diddy was in your way. Don't do that. The ledge is your friend. Well, not really. But in this situation it is.
-Okay! So here's why I hate smashville. That platform is out to get you. Don't sit on it long at all, you're really vulnerable on it against most of the cast.
-If you're unsure if a blue uthrow will kill, go for a forward/backthrow. It might set up a kill and if it doesn't, it puts them in a ****ty situation. If you're sure a blue uthrow won't kill, downthrow instead unless you want the space from a f/bthrow.
-Space more with fair.
-Learn how to usmash oos.
-Missed a dthrow combo at around 8:16. Don't miss those.
-Stop landing near the opponent. You do it too often.
-Just realized you're playing negrolimar, damn I'm tired. Good ****.
-Wtf how did that purple throw not kill?!
-DAMN GET SPIKED SON
-Don't jab. It's terrible.

-Stop running into bananas. Pay attention to your surroundings. Either avoid them or get ahold of them when it's safe.
-You used a throw opportunity to get space so you could pick up his banana. Do more of that.
-Don't uthrow with red/yellow/white.
-If you whiff something and he closed in on you because of it, don't keep mashing smashes. Get the **** out or you're dead.
-You're playing too impatiently. Wait for the opponent to make the first move. Force them to make a move. Limit the amounts of moves he can make. This is the type of character Olimar is.

-Oh man, Snake. Here we go.
-Downthrow -> fair or Downthrow -> up smash. Nothing else at combo percents. Nothing else. You can do something after these if you want, but don't downthrow and do anything else immediately afterwards.
-Be careful approaching from underneath snake when he's on a platform. Grenades. Trading in that situation puts you both in the air and guess who wins when that happens? Yeah.
-Throw more pikmin, use more fsmash, space more standing grabs. That's the snake matchup. No matter what you're doing, you can always do more of that.
-You keep putting yourself right next to snake one way or another. This gets you hit. This gets you ftilted.
-Can't pummel snake if he has a grenade. For this reason, don't pummel snake, he probably has a grenade.
-You know that cool thing where you grab snake when he UpB's and snicker as he falls helplessly? Yeah, Olimar can't do that.
-Run away from snake. A lot. Don't stand near him. Ever.
-Stop f/b throwing with red/yellow/whites. Just downthrow with them.
-You're missing air dodge punishes.
-When you short hop pikmin throw, just because you can throw two, doesn't mean you have to. It leaves you more open, so if you're getting punished for it, SH one pikmin (or throw one grounded) and then get back to spacing.

-kk, back to diddy.
-The right side of the stage was covered in bananas and monkeys. You were on the right ledge. You got from the right ledge to the stage, but landed on the right side of the stage. With the bananas and the monkey. Don't do that. If he's declared a zone to be his and his alone, and you can't challenge it (you can't), go somewhere else. A platform, the other side of the stage, do something. But don't fall into his traps, or put yourself in situations where you're easily pressured.
-A banana landed
-You're doing better at punishing when the opponent commits, but you're not doing much to pressure them. Don't give him room to breathe.
-If you launch the opponent into the air, either pressure them (usually uair) or be ready to punish their landing (usually grab).
-Nice read! Called him out on the roll.
-You put yourself in a situation where your back was against the wall (tree of the fire stage of PS1) and Diddy was within throwing distance of you. Your options of escape were severely limited. Pay attention to the stage. You can't allow yourself to be put in situations like this.
-Remember that you can throw pikmin when you have a banana. Take advantage of this. Force him to do something you can punish with the banana (anyting).

-Remember to use uair when getting off of the ledge. You know what I'm talking about ;)
-Not seeing much in the last video to point out that I haven't yet.
-PICK UP THE DAMN BANANAS

Alright! So now, recovering stuff. This is what I tell most newer Olimars that have problems recovering and don't know when to do what. This is important. Learn this method.

The opponent wants to hit you after you've used your jump. Obviously. Because of this, you want to use your jump when you're at about stage height and immediately whistle. Whistle rifght after you jump and you'll be, for the most part, safe. Don't jump when you're way above the stage, don't jump right after you get control over your character. This is the defensive way to recover, at least. Offensively, if you want to catch your opponent off guard, replace whistle with fair. This time, you want to find an opportunity when you are at stage height and near the enemy (shouldn't be hard). But the same face still remains that you want to jump when you're near the height of the stage. A mixup to this is to fall for a bit longer, if the opponent is hanging onto the ledge, or trying to edge guard you from above. Fast fall if you need to. Then, right after you use your jump, uair. This covers your jump in the best way, but is risky, because if it fails, well you're dead. If it succeeds, you'll probably hit the opponent and get a safe ride to the stage. As for how many pikmin you want to have on you when recovering, don't throw them all away. In fact, only throw purples. The only time you want to throw not-purples is when there's a purple next in line. As soon as you get control over Olimar, the first thing going through your mind should be "okay, where are my purples?". Get them so that they're either available to toss when the opponent is on the ledge, or toss when you're on the ledge and you need something to cover your way onto the stage.

But yeah, work on timing your jumps better and your recovery will improve. Hoping you stick to Olimar. Keep it up.
And here's some for Professor MGW
First thing I notice is that you're playing too close to him. You need your space. Lucario outprioritizes everything you do with everything he does. But, you outrange him if you space well. Pikmin toss, grab, fsmash, fair. Bread and butter.

Don't upthrow until kill percents, and only with blue and purple. Up throw doesn't combo into anything, so says the frame data. You'd be better off using downthrow than staling your up throw. Downthrow's better for setups, too.

Try to throw in some unpredictable fairs against Lucario. Shuts him down. Uair pressure as well.

Don't land near Lucario EVER.

Don't jump immediately when recovering. Save your jump until you get near the height of the stage. It killed you on your last stock.

Those were the main things I noticed.
That's all for today. Will try to set aside for the other videos posted.

Asa

Smash Hero
But don't do something that screams "hey guy you want candy?" because THAT'S WHAT HITTING OLIMAR TASTES LIKE. IT'S ****ING SWEET AND DELICIOUS.
another siggable post

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Couple more:

Zigsta (Jigglypuff) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
1 2 3 4

Zigsta (Bowser) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
1 2 3

Jigglypuff was really weird at first. ^^;

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
@Asa's last game

Don't try to get too fancy with the bananas. While fancy tricks with them might work, using it as a strong punish works most of the time and is very effective.

When Diddy's getting off of the ledge, don't even try to spike him XD I've eaten so many fairs thinking I can Dair him. Him getting off the ledge with fair is super safe. Just wait for the moment that he's trying to land on the ground after he gets off the ledge, or when he rolls/attacks to get up, and try to punish that instead. Beating him in the air unless you're below him isn't going to work.

After watching the first game, one thing I noticed was that you don't up smash very often. It's really strong at pressuring when the opponent (Diddy included) is in the air, and a great punish as well. It's a lot safer than uair unless you have a lot of space between the two of you already (uair is primarily a spacing tool, not really a punish, and you should only be pressuring with uair if you're spacing with it as well or they're trapped on a platform, which isn't really good to risk against Diddy with his options). You use utilt quite a bit as well, but I'm not yet convinced in it being that great of a move. You usually won't get much out of it, and the lag it puts you in afterwards is a pain. Probably not worth it to use utilt over usmash, in most situations.

You also get messed up by bananas quite a bit. This matchup is all about stage control, and he controlled it well in this game. You have two more things to pay attention to at all times, and have to adapt your playstyle, your approaches, your punishes, your camp game, your aerial game, everything to what the banana setup is set at.

Game two. Pretty good stage choice. Never double jump and uair after up smashing. Again, you don't necessarily have to think that the main purpose of your uair is to his and combo after something, or punish something. Uair is a great fear mechanism. Upsmash someone, and then short hop a uair, it comes out immediately. Either it comes out because of how fast it is, or it scares them into doing something predictable, you land quickly, and punish it. If you can pull an air dodge, congrats! Free damage on the way! Double jumping for any aerial puts you at risk of getting knocked off stage without your second jump, which is a risky situation at any percents.

5:48, you dropped through the platform as Diddy was falling towards you from the above platform. What you could have done, is right after you fell a bit, use your second jump to safely rise back up with a uair or nair. Catches people off guard often, and at worse, you get some shield pressure on them.

6:03 was a situation where usmash would have been wonderful! Haha, it's such a good punish. Wouldn't have killed him, but would have been good for damage, especially since you had a red up front.

If Diddy has a banana in his hand, and you have the other, if you throw your banana, don't always rush in for the followup punish. His banana is just as fast, and in a lot of situations, you'll both just be sitting there getting out of hitstun/the trip at the same time, and guess who beats the other at close combat @_@

Nice fsmash at 6:39!

While nairing out of shield is good, you're doing it too much in the third video. You're nairing out of a short hop when he isn't near you and then he's punishing your landing afterwards.

Once again, nice fsmash at 11:24.

You played a lot better in the last game, actually. Your natural habit of playing in the air, though, hurt you bad in that game.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Couple more:

Zigsta (Jigglypuff) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
1 2 3 4

Zigsta (Bowser) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
1 2 3

Jigglypuff was really weird at first. ^^;
Landing with dair usually isn't a good idea. Replace it with Nair for obvious reasons (safer, more priority, combos into up smash, yadda yadda). I find Dair pretty useless if you're close to the ground. Surprising with it when you're a lot higher is viable, but not something you'd want to do often.

Your first stock loss was due to a few things. For one, you were already both right next to the ledge, but completely safe from Jigglypuff, who wasn't anywhere near you. You could have just grabbed onto the ledge safely. Also, you used both your double jump and UpB needlessly, putting you helplessly falling, sacrificing your double jump, for Jigglypuff to take full advantage of. Using UpB to land on the stage is only a last resort.

Upthrow at 0:51. Jiggs wasn't even close to kill percents. Don't use Up throw unless she is. It's your best kill move, tied with up smash, keep it fresh.

You aren't keep pressure when the opponent is in bad situations. Mad bad situations worse. If the opponent is off the ledge and will have difficulties getting back on if you pressure them, pressure the hell out of him. Just because it's jiggs, doesn't mean she automatically gets back to the stage safely. Pikmin Toss off the side, throw out fsmashes, grab towards the ledge, make sure that if he messes up, you get something out of it, instead of just sitting there until they get into whatever position they want. Speaking of which, I see this in areas outside of ledge play. It's okay to be defensive, but don't play passive.

If you land an upsmash, that isn't the end. You aren't done. Realize the situation your opponent is now in, and what you can safely do to give them more hell. For example, pressure with uair after upsmash is both safe and effective. Don't let him just land and reset the situation.

He didn't get out of it, but don't dthrow to usmash jiggs, it isn't actually a combo. Dthrow to fair is, but jiggs is too floaty that she can nair, dair, etc, before your usmash lands on her.

Nair -> dsmash rarely works on characters like her as well, again, because of how floaty she is.

Approaching with usmash really isn't a good idea against most characters, jigglypuff included. It didn't work against him most of the time in this video, and when it started become predictable, well, that's when you lost your second stock.

Pivot grabs to punish jiggs landings usually don't work because well, she doesn't land near you, haha. Just spam pikmin and punish her when she gets them off. Fair is a much better punish as well. If she DOES land near you, up smash away.

Landing a purple pikmin toss is a free followup. Don't let it just be 6%, there's a lot more you can get out of it.

Dthrow to uair? Haha. You're using uair too much when jiggs is eye level to you, short hop wise. Super unsafe, you're vulnerable horizontally and you put yourself right next to jiggs during cooldown, considering you're rarely going to land it at this angle. Not sure if you're predicting jiggs to jump into your uair, but that's not what this move is for. It's a spacing and pressure tool.

Third game. You're playing a lot better this game. Most of the things I mentioned earlier in this post are improved in this game, haha. I'm assuming that these problems were you figuring out the matchup?

Stop trying to land on jiggs with dair @__@

Fourth game. Fell too far when recovering at the end of your first stock.

When downthrowing an opponent that isn't at combo percents, you can't approach a followup as if they were in combo percents. You have to approach the followup knowing that they're going to have a reaction to your dthrow. Wait for this reaction, punish this reaction.

Bthrowing (red/yellow/white) a jiggs off the ledge is a worse idea than it normally is against most other characters. Following up this bthrow is difficult, while following up a dthrow towards the center of the stage is at least doable. It also stales your bthrow which you want to use with blues for damage. Lots and lots of damage.

First Bowser game. Usmash to uair is a much better option than usmash to usmash.

You could definitely fair more. You don't abuse it enough for how good it is.

Video two. Stop uthrowing outside of kill percents @_@ It's not even close!

Take more advantage of the opponent being on a platform right above you. Give them hell.
Bowser's whiffed fsmash at 1:43 could have been punished a lot better. You could have FF'd the nair faster when you realized he was realeasing the move and gotten quite a bit of free damage for it.

Video three. At 0:16 you uair bowser's shield when he's on a platform above you. Something I like to do after this is double jump -> nair/uair. It'll often be your opponent's reaction to drop their shield after the uair, thinking they're safe. The second move happens so quickly that it'll land before they're able to do anything to stop it, if they've even realized what you're doing. I've gotten a lot of free hits this way.

In all of the videos you've done a lot of throwing out moves in areas that the opponent obviously isn't going to go, or in some situations, couldn't go there if they tried, haha. An example is 1:14. The Bowser is forced to get out of the corner over you. You throw out an UpB in an area that there's no chance of him getting to, even if you had six pikmin. It's a waste of time that you could use throwing out a punish/spacing tool/pressure that would be effective, as well as possibly putting you in danger.

Alrighty. Pikmin Toss more. Fair more. Dair less. A lot less.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Thank you very much for the criticism. ^_^

Jiggs Game 1 First stock - I just plain screwed that one up. I wasn't really paying attention and thought that my tether latched, so I was still pressing forward. Didn't even notice the DJ when I first watched it, must have accidentally tapped X as I was going to hit Y.

Jiggs Game 3 Second stock - Yeah, I was trying to troll him with that fastfall Dair. Wanted it to be the game finisher, but screwed it up. ^^;

Video three. At 0:16 you uair bowser's shield when he's on a platform above you. Something I like to do after this is double jump -> nair/uair. It'll often be your opponent's reaction to drop their shield after the uair, thinking they're safe. The second move happens so quickly that it'll land before they're able to do anything to stop it, if they've even realized what you're doing. I've gotten a lot of free hits this way.
I like doing this, but I've gotten UpB'd after the Uair before for trying it against Bowser.

In all of the videos you've done a lot of throwing out moves in areas that the opponent obviously isn't going to go, or in some situations, couldn't go there if they tried, haha.
I like to throw out pointless moves for them to attempt to punish, but sometimes I just flat-out screw up.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Thank you very much for the criticism. ^_^

Jiggs Game 1 First stock - I just plain screwed that one up. I wasn't really paying attention and thought that my tether latched, so I was still pressing forward. Didn't even notice the DJ when I first watched it, must have accidentally tapped X as I was going to hit Y.

Jiggs Game 3 Second stock - Yeah, I was trying to troll him with that fastfall Dair. Wanted it to be the game finisher, but screwed it up. ^^;

I like doing this, but I've gotten UpB'd after the Uair before for trying it against Bowser.

In all of the videos you've done a lot of throwing out moves in areas that the opponent obviously isn't going to go, or in some situations, couldn't go there if they tried, haha.
I like to throw out pointless moves for them to attempt to punish, but sometimes I just flat-out screw up.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Videos against Austin's Falco:

PantyRaider (Falco) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
1 2 3 4 5

Listed in chronological order. I've never really gotten to play against Falco, so I was kind of learning the match-up as we went along.
Any advice would help. ^^;

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Getting bookoo Falco practice:

PantyRaider (Falco) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

I don't necessarily need criticism (though it would be appreciated), but is there anything that I should expect from other Falco players that this Falco doesn't do?

Asa

Smash Hero
oh nice, you found it first XD i just told tinman about the tetherhit->fair

Jane

Smash Hero
dun dun dun....

i'm FINALLY posting a set in here. this is a power ranking challenge match vs TommyDerMeister, a snake main. i lost 3-1, but i felt i was playing near my peak, so it's a perfect set to post in here. i would really appreciate some critique. :)

Game 1 - Yoshi's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeIvzBTegSA

Game 2 - Delfino
during this game, some silly **** happened towards the end of my second stock. it was like a ghost pikmin, except it didnt move to the back of my line after i tried to use it. if you noticed, i attempted to do like ~5 attacks (couple grabs, an aerial i think, and a smash) but the whole time i drew blanks. anyone know wtf?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpLmjcBDls0

Game 3 - Final D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGwON-aD_UA

Game 4 - Battlefield
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3MLHa_sKW4

Blissard

Smash Lord
it was like a ghost pikmin, except it didnt move to the back of my line after i tried to use it. if you noticed, i attempted to do like ~5 attacks (couple grabs, an aerial i think, and a smash) but the whole time i drew blanks. anyone know wtf?
I thought Ghost Pikmin don't move to the end of the line after a whiffed attack? You have to whistle it to move it out of the front.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I thought Ghost Pikmin don't move to the end of the line after a whiffed attack? You have to whistle it to move it out of the front.
This is correct.
It probably wouldn't be as easily-noticed if it just cycled out the way Jane described. ^^;

Sync.

Smash Champion
Hey guys I could really use some help on this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Qdshy0-rw

It's me vs Illmatic at our most recent Houston local. I can never really seem to beat him no matter how well I'm doing. I've never really asked for help with my **** but wtf did I do wrong on game 3? I don't really know how to play that stage with Olimar yet (little less than 2 month old Olimar lol). Anyways, thanks in advance for any critique you guys have for me.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
You have a really good ground game so he was smart Cping RC.

I just suggest you to play friendlies in that stage more, you put a lot of pressure on yourself even when illmatic wasn't in a zone to threaten you in.

You basically just started to shield and dodge a lot instead of running to get a better position.

Don't grounded whistle, start to use olimars up b, it is quick and not easy to punish.

When you are on the rising part of the stage, you don't need to go to him, you can just jump to the top and make him go to you instead, and if he messes up, up smash kills really early there.

Also, don't try to land with dair, seen that a few times, if you are going to land try nair.

:phone:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Going to speak in second person, assuming you're the pit, haha.

You seem to have a habit of sticking above Olimar, whether it be in the air or on a platform. Olimar is really strong in this situation. Conversely, Olimar is weak and vulnerable when he's landing. Not necessarily when he's falling towards the stage, but rather, the moment he hits the ground. Take advantage of this. Quick attacks such as jab, or grabs are good ways to keep pressure. Wait more, don't just throw out attacks in these situations. Speaking of which, I'll talk about situations similar to in game two, where Olimar was off stage on the right mercy platform of Frigate. You're going to see Olimar put in situations like this a lot, and you need to notice them. Situations where in X amount of seconds, Olimar is going to have to do one of two or three things. Instead of saying "Olimar's in a tight spot, time to go **** him up", instead think more like "Olimar's in a tight spot, he's gotta try to get out of it and I'll be able to **** him up". At that moment Olimar had to make an action to get off of the mercy platform and back onto stage, and those actions are all unsafe and can be taken advantage of to get him back off stage. What I'm really trying to say is, be where he wants to be. It's hard for Olimar to land, and if you're in the spot where he has to land already, his options are limited.

If you have any questions about Olimar, feel free to ask.

steep

Smash Lord
I have a game recorded of me vs Hilt that will be uploaded soon. Hilt won but it was a good game. Would I be able to post it here, since you seem to be lacking Oli vs Mario videos? ;)

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Sure, why not? You can post just about any match videos involving an Olimar in here.
We generally lean toward offline videos, though.

steep

Smash Lord
Hilt, I want to sit down some time and just work on my Olimar with you. I may end up (co)maining him with Mario/Luigi.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, definitely. I don't know when I'll be able to make it to another tournament, or smashfest, but whenever that happens just let me know and it'll happen.

steep

Smash Lord
Ok. I'm going to Apex, and will probably be using a mixture of Mario/Luigi/Olimar, as I want to make it into bracket at least. But definitely sometime after Apex since we probably won't be able to meet before.

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
Tournament matches :
Scarhi vs Deimos(Marth/Falco) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJy1kFdMU_c&feature=channel_video_title

Scarhi vs Anoer(Wario) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wQLbEQWd9k&feature=channel_video_title

...I noticed some of the mistakes I made against Anoer (mainly not playing safe enough, doing some silly things while recovering, and not adapting at all...I got ***** for that on game 1), but I could definitely use some advice from you guys =) (for the set against Deimos too ^^)

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
These are all the Olimar APEX videos I've found so far.
Sorry it isn't pretty, but I'm really tired.

NIETONO

Illmatic v. Nietono
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo3iUv1lYjk

Otori (MK) v. Nietono (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qug6T-c1krw

Nairo (MK) v. Nietono (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZSFZIoqKxM

ESAM (ICs/Pika) v. Nietono (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qe71VWOZK0

Ally (MK) v. Nietono (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNV7xMCrgbw

ADHD (Diddy) v. Nietono (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiFya-OIKeg

Vinnie (ICs) v. Nietono (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLjhVPoEaUY

Mr. R (Marth) v. Nietono (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCYMRYm0_I

Mikehaze (Marth) & Tyrant (MK) v. Nietono (Olimar) & Rain (MK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkcGRsD2tSE

MJG (TL) & Domo (MK) v. Nietono (Olimar) & Rain (MK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIIjvgdhE3U

Anti (MK) & Mew2King (MK) v. Nietono (Olimar) & Rain (MK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8izuSf6NmR0

BROOD

Ally (MK) v. Brood (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaVi5JPQ85w

Trela (Lucario) v. Brood (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmtfAwmwxhU

Mr. R (Marth) v. Brood (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sM7bYWQHjA

Yukhoe (Wario) & Brood (Olimar) v. ChuDat (Kirby) & Fatal (Snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9tkfLRoWx4

Yukhoe (Wario) & Brood (Olimar) v. Blackanese & Teevee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jr_vJTYFu8

DABUZ

dabuz (Olimar) v. Jtails (MK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxHqLkIT4EE

dabuz (Olimar) v.Mikeray (Snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mFrKviu8SQ

Choice & Trevonite v. Atomsk & dabuz
Game1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOPBMskvP8o
Game2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD0hLTozPvg

RICHBROWN

Deltacod (Yoshi) v. RichBrown (Oli)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq98GLd7RR0

DENTI

Tyrant (MK) v. Denti (Olimar) (I THINK this is APEX)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK3TQf5rksg

Sky' (Wario) v. Denti (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hO26FdYXBo

SYNC

Joe ST (Falco) v. Sync (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hGy8f8MFo

Shadow (MK) v. Sync (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8lBKkpIMwM

TIN MAN

Sky' & Zex v. HolyNightmare & Tin Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJf_IJbBwfE

TKILA

Mr. R & Orion v. MechWarrior & TKila
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdqpQv-CeXc

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Scarhi it might be the moonshine talking but watching your video the first one really made me want to play brawl again god dammit. Your playstyle is so similar to mine it felt like I was playing. Every time you were put in a situation, you responded how I would have responded and it was so fun. Was ilke I was actually playing. Man.

As for criticism:

Don't uthrow with reds. Or yellows or whites but i only saw you do it with reds, one time so far. There's no reason to do that over a dthrow. 0 reasons.

If the opponent whiffs a move like marth's dolfphin slash and there aren't any platforms for him to land on (you were on fd), don't try to land an up smash. It's not as reliable as charging a dsmash. It's going to do about the same amounmt of damage, but isn't going to hit 100% of the time. Or even close to that.

You don't need to pull six pikmin when you spawn. You only have 120 frames when you spawn. Some of that time is spent falling to the ground. Creating space between you adn your oppponent is mor eimporant than those extra two or three pkmin, in mos tsituations. Pull three or four, get some space, then maybe pulll those extras. If you don't,you'lkl be able to get them later when you have some breathing roome. That breating room isn't going to create itself, and it's more imporantant than those two pikmin. So take care of what's imporatnt firstr.

You don't always have to land on thes stage. You can grab the ledge. If you are eye level to the stage, but stilll ahve your jump, you don't have to use your jump to get back on stage. UpB to the ledge.

UpB when it isn't OoS against a move that just hit your shield (like when you spot dodge but shield after your dodge) is NO good against marth. At all. Such as 3:24~ where he takes advatnage of it and messes you up.

Watched the first game. Not currently able to watch the rest. However, i will be more mentally capable of watching and examining the other videos when I am sober. I will do that. Enjoyed watching this video. I really like your Olimar (seriously).

Top Bottom