• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transmissions to Hocotate - Olimar Video Archive and Critique Thread

Jane

Smash Hero
I got about 3 seconds in.

Your first mistake was going to Smashville... unless that was his counter-pick you linked to.
why do you say that? whats wrong with sv against ike?

also, saying "jc upsmash oos" is redundant. its just an upsmash oos. saying oos implies that you're cancelling it.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Oh god, sv is terrible against Ike. Main reason being it's small. Also the platform is terrible for Olimar, who's a character that usually benefits from platforms. It's just no good :/

Dnyce

Smash Master
and I just SD on purpose last / stocks because I got annoyed at how he kept getting the back throw -> dash attack and pretty much everytime.
You're getting "combo'd"... and 'maybe I should try whistling' wasn't the first thing that ran through your head?

-dead-

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i have a request for rich brown, i may be playing again and the tourney i went to over the weekend was only losses to good falcos. Can you get me a recent oli vs falco video i can watch of you? :D

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boh6KvVvFUM

Friendlies with a Zelda buddy of mine. Critiques would be awesome :D
Already did on facebook (I'm Jim), but other than the grab stuff I'd say that you should definitely airdodge or shield his DF's rather than whistling them, he was able to rack up a lot of damage that way, and Zelda can't really follow up DF with much when you're that far away.

:phone:

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
There's a LOT you need to work on and I'm kind of bad at giving criticism (and I only watched the first match), but there were a few things that really need to be said.

- Don't just mindlessly run in and dash grab. This was the main thing that had me banging my head on the keyboard. If anything you should be running away and throwing stuff since it's a camping match-up.
- Stop falling back into her attacks after she hits you.
- Stop over-plucking.
- Watch/organize your line more. And after she dies, you have plenty of time to sort and reorganize.
- Learn to pivot grab, whistle bounce, DI, etc.
- You seem kind of newish at it, so just get more familiar with your character and the physics of the game. Watching videos from top Olimars might help you to learn how to be fast and effective.

BlaizeRaz0r

Smash Rookie
Indeed I am newish with Olimar. Switched over to him from Pit a few months ago, so I'm still learning the little things. Pivot grabbing gives me trouble because I keep accidentally rolling, and I'm not sure exactly what whistle bouncing is. Will look into perfecting those as well as better sdi. Thanks for tips! I'll keep everything you've said in mind next time I play him (which shouldn't be too long from now xD)

Jim: just watched the video from facebook. Never knew that, will be practicing it soon!

IcyLight

Smash Lord
next time you see me blaize i'll teach you whistlebouncing and stuff if you want, i need to train a NE olimar in case i quit again so they can take out fatal and bizkit while i'm gone :p

BlaizeRaz0r

Smash Rookie
Take me under your wing, haha. That would be sick. Thanks, dude. I think I'm playing with Fatal sometime soon. If you're near Boston you should come.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
yo its 2 hours from one state to another and thats too far?

lmao, ****in new england.
actually, it's 2 hours half way across mine AND half way across his. it's less than an hour to actually get in their state :D

IcyLight

Smash Lord
from what i could see...

you don't seem confident in your choice of moves sometimes. Like, you go for the pivot grab, but you delay the grab for some reason instead of using it right away. Then you decide to use it and it misses because it's too late.

It also seems like you don't aim your sideb when it matters. You really need to aim those whites and purples instead of just throwing them out "in the right direction".

You also like to keep recovering to the platforms instead of directly to the stage as well. This kept putting you right above him and giving him free pressure and eventually hitting you off again. It's good to throw it out now and then, but to do it as often as you were was actually making you take way more damage.

Other than that, you seemed pretty good to me :D

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Got some videos of my scrub Olimar from the last smashfest for criticism.

Mike2 (Snake) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

PantyRaider (G&W) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

PantyRaider (MK) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
1 2 3

PantyRaider (Marth) v. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
0:08 I find it that when people are SDI'ing out of my uair you should start fast falling them as you can get them to throw out a move without it hitting you and you can follow up on that.

0:08-0:12 You should never side b marth when you are that close to him, even when you have white, only when you have a purple you should side b at that distance, it is always better to get better positioning in the marth MU.

0:12 Practice Up smash OoS (out of shield) and he won't be able to get away with landing with fair. Input with tap jump off: Shield, hold control stick up, press jump button and A, all you are doing is canceling your shield with the jump and canceling the jump with Up Smash.

0:15 Sometimes it is best to recover low from the stage when you are that close to it, marth has a really good juggle game and can rack on a lot of damage from you being above him.

0:27 You got marth on the ledge, I find he has a REALLY hard time to get back on stage if you just spam F smash.

0:55 You approached with shield.. bad.

1:05 You had stage control and you dashed away and put marth in a better position.

1:12 Again marth is on the ledge and he should be taking note that you really want to kill him soon as you are Up Smashing a little to much, don't get to anxious for the kill.

1:29 Side b when he is to close =[

1:39 Pivot F smash would work really well here, it messes up marths spacing a lot even though the distance is not much, it really helps

1:50 Idk why you would f throw here, you could use d throw and put yourself in an advantageous position or b throw and get stage control back.

2:53 Instead of running in at risk of being fair'd you could have pivot F smashed.

3:11 Practice whistling as soon as you use your 2nd jump.

3:22 Again, shouldn't side b when that close and should pivot grab or pivot f smash vs marth. He also used his 2nd jump and puts you out of fair range, you could have walked in a bit closer to punish his landing.

3:28 Giving marth what he wants, you to jump into his fair range, very dangerous.

4:00 You risk giving marth stage control by going to the edge to camp.

Overall you should just work on pivot F smash in that match up, and rolls are way better then you think they would be vs marth as well, they really mess up his spacing. Don't overuse them though because rolls will be expected.

Splice

Smash Hero
Thanks a bunch Jiom :)

What are some things to consider about abusing stage control with Olimar?
I know how to stop Olimar from getting it with GaW... idk how Olimar is actually supposed to abuse it against a character such as Marth though

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Well when you are in the middle of the stage, it's easier to net get pressured by fair from marth.
You can keep the pressure on him with F smashes/grabs and keep him by the ledge or off stage until you can put him in the air and juggle him.

Olimar is basically a fortress of pikmin and people have to get past his strong walls (pikmin) to get inside of it. (hitting him) So being able to "wall them out" becomes much easier when they are pressured to the sides of the stages because you always have room to run back some in case they try to move forward on you and you can punish them for that.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
im so confused lol whats rocket
lol here we go

I feel obligated, so:

Pikmin and Olimar have different hurtboxes and are not affected when the other one is hit. As such, if Olimar is charging a smash, and the pikmin is attacked during this time (though Olimar is left unharmed), Olimar continues charging the smash. On the frame that you release the smash, the pikmin, no matter where it is, will be launched for the smash. At about 1:36 the MK hit the pikmin, sending it upwards, then you release the smash which made it hit Pit, lol. Pikmin Rockets are known to have weird trajectories, or in some cases the smash will fly farther than they're suppose to.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Wasn't able to watch anything more than the first game against Wario, TKila, but I plan to at a later time. About to leave for a pre-tournament smashfest soon.

Here's a few things I noticed, though:

You're landing too predictably right next to him. Throwing nairs against opponents' shields are only going to get you punished, if you're predictable.

Running directly at Wario is usually a bad idea. I saw a lot of dashing fsmash/grabs. Very rarely will you be able to punish Wario with one of these. It's a sign of desperation, and Wario is able to take advantage of them really, really easily. Instead, focus on keeping your spacing down. Don't jump to throw pikmin if you're already really close to him, because then you commit to having to land right next to him, and as I said, that's a terrible thing to have to do.

Don't f/b/uthrow that often unless you're desperate for space or are going for a kill. ESPECIALLY upthrow. Save it for kills, as it's your best kill throw with purple and blue pikmin (BACK AND FORWARD BLUE THROWS ARE NOT AS GOOD). Keep your upthrow fresh for when you're going for a kill. Save your forward and back throws for when dthrow isn't useful anymore. That's usually not until around 80%. Up until then, use dthrow solely for combos. It puts them in a terrible spot to where they have to react immediately or their landing gets punished. Take advantage of that. Watch their landing habits and plan ahead for how you're going to punish their patterns.

You don't up air very often. It's extremely good against Wario. And most characters, actually XD Up Smash Out of Shield is something else that you definitely want to learn for this matchup. So much of his shield pressure isn't safe if you have it down.

If a tier is bouncing right above you, don't throw out an up smash. The two attacks will cover the same area, and the opponent will only get hit by one regardless. If you want to throw out another hitbox, use dsmash. That way you have a hitbox above you (the tire) and two hitboxes at your sides. If the tire is bouncing between you and Wario, be patient and wait to see what he does. Either he commits to something to get past it that you can punish (air dodge through, backs off and lands, uses an attack to cancel it out), or he gets hit by it and you can punish.

That's one of the main things I'm noticing, actually. You aren't patient. You throw out hitboxes constantly, which is good at times. I do the same thing a lot. But you have to be predictive with your hitboxes. You have to throw them out where you think the opponent is going to go, not just guess. Also, waiting and letting them make the first move is a good thing, a lot of the time. If you have good spacing, wait for them to commit and punish it with grabs, fsmash, etc.

TKila

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't able to watch anything more than the first game against Wario, TKila, but I plan to at a later time. About to leave for a pre-tournament smashfest soon.

Here's a few things I noticed, though:

You're landing too predictably right next to him. Throwing nairs against opponents' shields are only going to get you punished, if you're predictable.

Running directly at Wario is usually a bad idea. I saw a lot of dashing fsmash/grabs. Very rarely will you be able to punish Wario with one of these. It's a sign of desperation, and Wario is able to take advantage of them really, really easily. Instead, focus on keeping your spacing down. Don't jump to throw pikmin if you're already really close to him, because then you commit to having to land right next to him, and as I said, that's a terrible thing to have to do.

Don't f/b/uthrow that often unless you're desperate for space or are going for a kill. ESPECIALLY upthrow. Save it for kills, as it's your best kill throw with purple and blue pikmin (BACK AND FORWARD BLUE THROWS ARE NOT AS GOOD). Keep your upthrow fresh for when you're going for a kill. Save your forward and back throws for when dthrow isn't useful anymore. That's usually not until around 80%. Up until then, use dthrow solely for combos. It puts them in a terrible spot to where they have to react immediately or their landing gets punished. Take advantage of that. Watch their landing habits and plan ahead for how you're going to punish their patterns.

You don't up air very often. It's extremely good against Wario. And most characters, actually XD Up Smash Out of Shield is something else that you definitely want to learn for this matchup. So much of his shield pressure isn't safe if you have it down.

If a tier is bouncing right above you, don't throw out an up smash. The two attacks will cover the same area, and the opponent will only get hit by one regardless. If you want to throw out another hitbox, use dsmash. That way you have a hitbox above you (the tire) and two hitboxes at your sides. If the tire is bouncing between you and Wario, be patient and wait to see what he does. Either he commits to something to get past it that you can punish (air dodge through, backs off and lands, uses an attack to cancel it out), or he gets hit by it and you can punish.

That's one of the main things I'm noticing, actually. You aren't patient. You throw out hitboxes constantly, which is good at times. I do the same thing a lot. But you have to be predictive with your hitboxes. You have to throw them out where you think the opponent is going to go, not just guess. Also, waiting and letting them make the first move is a good thing, a lot of the time. If you have good spacing, wait for them to commit and punish it with grabs, fsmash, etc.
Thx For explaining ... Wario is not a match i play often :S.

i would like u to watch Marths matchs D: (both D: )

Note: I know about the Back Throw n Front Throw with the pikmins but sometimes i feel good when i have my opponent in the edge it make me feel that i have control of the situation , any way i know wut u mean :)

Jumpin for throwing Pikmin really close to my oponent is really bad D: i am so expose to damage D:

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Watched the first match of this one.

You kept using pikmin toss with non-purples when you were up-close or trying to get off the edge for some reason.
Saw it at 1:41, 1:45, 1:54, 3:21, 3:56.

You also kept DIing into him and either airdodging or whistling, which is generally a bad idea.
Saw it at 1:03, 2:24, 3:32, 3:52.

And at 1:36, you could have Uaired once more to bring that purple to the front.

EDIT: Not necessarily a criticism, but rather an option.
Sometimes when I'm trying to get onstage against someone, I'll jump toward them to make them think that I'm pushing forward in, then airdodge while pulling back to the edge (not clinging on the ledge, just teetering on the edge) and throw out an Fsmash as soon as I land.
It's scary as hell to do against Marth, but I did it a few times in friendlies against Nike and it seems to work against him if you keep it random and infrequent.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
If anyone can critique any of these or point out any habits, I'd really appreciate it.
I kind of slacked off during some of them though, particularly the Frigate one. ^^;

SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) v. theeboredone (Ike)
1 2 3 4 5 6

SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) v. Zigsta (Bowser)

EDIT: Also, I love our grab.

Top Bottom