• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Town & Sydney, An Australian Major Smash Tournament July 10th - 12th

cheese619

Smash Ace
I wanted to drop in and say Luke and Gman's commentary during Smash 4 Wii U was really great and I loved it. It was really entertaining without ever going too far off topic and it was nice to have some good personalities on the mic. I don't think anything they said was too offensive as well because you could tell they were joking around and taking the piss.

FinXx

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to drop in and say Luke and Gman's commentary during Smash 4 Wii U was really great and I loved it. It was really entertaining without ever going too far off topic and it was nice to have some good personalities on the mic. I don't think anything they said was too offensive as well because you could tell they were joking around and taking the piss.
Not sure if troll.

I'm not big on the Smash 4 scene, but I gotta say, I felt like 80% of their "commentary" was mocking the people in chat who were waiting for Melee to start. I feel like they could have more appropriately used their air time to closely analyse each match (Grand Finals, mind you) or at least educate the Melee scene as to what was going on in the game, since it was pretty clear most of the vocal audience were Melee centered.

Instead it seemed like they were way more interested in demonstrating 'WhY dOeS eVeRyOnE wAnT meLeE u gUyS wAtChEd iT aLL dAy gO wAtCh iT oN yOuTuBe'

edit: unless of course most people saw Smash 4 at TnS as a joke, in which case the commentary was pretty spot on

Last edited:

cheese619

Smash Ace
Not sure if troll.

I'm not big on the Smash 4 scene, but I gotta say, I felt like 80% of their "commentary" was mocking the people in chat who were waiting for Melee to start. I feel like they could have more appropriately used their air time to closely analyse each match (Grand Finals, mind you) or at least educate the Melee scene as to what was going on in the game, since it was pretty clear most of the vocal audience were Melee centered.

Instead it seemed like they were way more interested in demonstrating 'WhY dOeS eVeRyOnE wAnT meLeE u gUyS wAtChEd iT aLL dAy gO wAtCh iT oN yOuTuBe'

edit: unless of course most people saw Smash 4 at TnS as a joke, in which case the commentary was pretty spot on
I feel like 80% of your post is stupid.

Pete278

Smash Lord
I agree, pretty rare I find myself enjoying Smash 4 streams but the commentary definitely helped, had quite a giggle the whole time. Props to Atyeo and Gman.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Hello, I am currently 15 years old and I want to become a deez. I know there’s a million people out there just like me, but I promise you I’m different. On December 14th, I’m moving to Melbourne; home of the greatest deez. I’ve already bought my controller, and now play smash 4 everywhere I go as training. I may not be a deez yet, but I promise you if you give me a chance and the support I need, I will become the greatest deez

Jamwa

Smash Champion
lol @ seeding
lol @ ruleset

shoutouts to the ppl i chilled with a bunch (i hope you know who you are because i dont)
shoutouts to gords for temporary housing
shoutouts to zxv/tommoner for temporary housing
super shoutouts to fudge for wog showers + car driving
super duper shoutouts to star for actual showers

Snoc

New Kid on the Block
shoutouts to NSW for ****ing up a transport card system more than Vic ****ed up myki.

i got on stream for my first ever PM doubles yay.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
shoutouts to NSW for ****ing up a transport card system more than Vic ****ed up myki.
Really? I mean, as a Victorian who's been suffering myki for 5 years now I loved that they kept the paper tickets, so short-term stayers didn't have to jump through the hoops of acquiring a ticket designed for frequent users of the public transport system.

Snoc

New Kid on the Block
when the guy at the airport pretty much forces opal down my throat saying it was the cheapest option it was kind of frustrating not having a top up machine that worked ever.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero

whilst you are somewhat right, if majority representation of melee is spoilt ******* complaining constantly when their game isn't on stream, and wont let smash 4 have their own time in the sun (sharing is hard) and constantly complain about how bad smash 4 is and how its for austistics, why would I think they'd want me to explain the game to them?

We did closely analyze each match if you were paying attention, we also were having fun and so were the people on stream.
your post was laughed at because the thinks you 'think should have happened' did happen.

Also what was clear? That smash 4 had the higher viewer count and was requested more than melee?
That people complaining in chat to turn off a game want to hear about that game?
That the melee community is toxic as **** and need to learn to co-exist?
hmmmm... better rethink things

Splice

Smash Hero
^afaik the melee commentary didn't speak a single bad word about Smash 4. I think the space was shared without complaint by the melee community, sucks it has to be represented by people on twitch.

No disrespect / I know the event is running but those prize incentives for amateurs are a bit silly. IMO unless you're a serious contender for top place in pro you are better off flopping out of pools on purpose for an easy ride through amateurs, for a guaranteed reward.
I dunno dude do you have any idea how hard it is to actually make it into Amateurs? If you're a great enough mathematician to end up in amateurs than you deserve a prize imo

FinXx

Smash Apprentice
wont let smash 4 have their own time in the sun (sharing is hard)
why would I think they'd want me to explain the game to them?
Pretty sure Smash 4 and Melee had equal stream time at TnS dude. Also, you should explain the game because that's what good commentators do? Being a higher tier Smash 4 player I thought you'd understand that. Obviously not.

Also what was clear? That smash 4 had the higher viewer count and was requested more than melee?
Lmao, you don't think people were tuning in on time to watch top 8 Melee only to find a 3-stock Smash 4 GF bracket reset? You really think there were more people chanting "where is Smash 4?" in the Twitch chat before it started streaming?

That people complaining in chat to turn off a game want to hear about that game?
If you were right about Smash 4 being a higher demanded game at the time, why were you spending most of your commentary s*** talking the minority? A good commentator ignores stream chat cancer and focuses on the game they're passionate about; why not just admit you're a bad commentator?

That the melee community is toxic as **** and need to learn to co-exist?
I'm all for co-existing. Remember, I'm criticising you here, not Smash 4.

Last edited:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
if you are actually criticizing me you should actually read my reply instead of glossing over it, ignoring what I said, and repeating yourself.

FinXx

Smash Apprentice
if you are actually criticizing me you should actually read my reply instead of glossing over it, ignoring what I said, and repeating yourself.
Wow, I replied to almost every single statement of yours and it counts as ignoring what you said? Sure buddy, let's visit the only two statements I didn't acknowledge:

majority representation of melee is spoilt ******* complaining constantly when their game isn't on stream ... and constantly complain about how bad smash 4 is and how its for austistics
I didn't want to reply to this because it's just a hugely thoughtless stab from you. Sorry if the chat thought the game sucks, but I don't hold the same views. Ignore cancer chat, try to deliver good commentary. Yes, I repeated myself.

your post was laughed at because the thinks you 'think should have happened' did happen.
This can't be determined until we can re-watch the GF VODs of Smash 4. Like I said though, I highly doubt good commentary happened. Guess we can only wait.

Pretty done with you though, its now kinda obvious why you're not a respected member of your own community.

Last edited:

ToddTalks

Smash Rookie
I enjoyed myself. Went along on Saturday knowing that I was going to get stomped hoping to win a set to make it to amateurs. Made it to amateurs on Sunday and it was pretty fun. Managed to finish 3rd and everybody was friendly and it was easy going. Both days were about 30 minutes behind but was understandable considering how much was going on. Props to the pool leaders to helping out and get games started and organised. Big props to Gords - noticed he was coping a lot of flack for something on Sunday (I think it was sm4sh stream time) but this guy is always constantly running around trying to organise everything along with competing so big thanks to him.

Luke remembered my name even though I've met him once so I think that was the highlight of my weekend. Actually nvm, I went to chicken for the first time and I've been in Sydney in a year.

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
I wasn't tuned in at the time so can't comment directly but I will say this about a trend I've noticed.

There is a difference between asking "when's melee?" as a legitimate question in chat, especially when the scheduling was as hard to follow as TnS, and berating Smash 4.

I think a lot of S4 people, particularly who went through the Brawl era, are overly defensive when it comes to melee enthusiasm, and try to 'reverse bash' what they perceive to be melee elitists. If people are straightup dissing the game/players whatever then sure it's a fine response, but too often people are flying off the handle when someone just expresses their interest/anticipation for watching melee.

Not calling anyone out, just saying people need to chill, on both "sides".

Last edited:

Juci

Smash Apprentice
I thought atreyus commentary was entertaining, I couldn't stop laughing, the fact that he was interacting with the viewers made it a more real experience for me.

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
Both days were about 30 minutes behind but was understandable considering how much was going on. .
Nope. On sunday it was crazy behind bro. Melee doubles was supposed to be at top 8 and they didn't even finish round 3.
PM was supposed to finish at 3pm and top 8 was underway after 3. Gords did a good job shifting stuff and cutting streams of certain games but better planning was needed to avoid that.

It was, For a lack of a better word. A clusterf***

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
sigh... what is it, 9 years down the track and we are still having these problems?

Alright finXx, since you are so insistent on this, I'll give you the time of day, although I doubt anything constructive will come from it, answers in red. And sam, there really is a bigger picture problem here.

Wow, I replied to almost every single statement of yours and it counts as ignoring what you said? Sure buddy, let's visit the only two statements I didn't acknowledge:

Yeah, it sure does, replying and listening are not the same thing.
If you misinterpret something I said, and then counter by saying if X thing were true than why didnt Y happen, when Y did happen, that means that you weren't listening.

Pretty sure Smash 4 and Melee had equal stream time at TnS dude. I dunno if they did or not, but look you've read what I posted and come to an odd conclusion about it, you think I was saying melee was being unfair and not sharing stream time, nope, I was saying they were complaining about having to share stream time and wanted smash 4 to not be there at all. Also, you should explain the game because that's what good commentators do? Which is exactly what I did do, I'm sensing a pattern here.Being a higher tier Smash 4 player I thought you'd understand that. Obviously not. Being a high tier player doesnt automatically make you a good commentator, or nessacarily mean you can explain whats going on in a game. You complain later in your posts about 'thoughtless stabs' which is exactly what I'd call this.

Lmao, you don't think people were tuning in on time to watch top 8 Melee only to find a 3-stock Smash 4 GF bracket reset? You really think there were more people chanting "where is Smash 4?" in the Twitch chat before it started streaming?

Firstly, if I think that being an ass and chanting for a game (which constitutes to the disrespect of not wanting to share, just wanting to get your own way constantly and invalidating the other games efforts entirely) why would my arguement be "yes there were more people chanting for smash 4. There were lots of people that did ask when smash 4 is though, which does hamper my point somewhat but they did it without adding the whole 'the other game is for Downy and autistics it should die bad people play it.
Secondly are you saying that the reason that smash 4 had almost double the viewer count of melee was because melee players were sitting in twitch waiting for melee? Can you prove that? Who's to say then that melee's view counts weren't also inflated by people tuning in to watch smash 4 and waiting through periods of melee and pm?
but really when you say "Lmao, you don't think people were tuning in on time to watch top 8 Melee only to find a 3-stock Smash 4 GF bracket reset? " I fail to see what your point is.

If you were right about Smash 4 being a higher demanded game at the time, why were you spending most of your commentary s*** talking the minority? A few comments here and there to break up the monotony of commentary and keeping things interesting = most of my time? Are you the kind of guy who, if I ate one of your chips, would go around complaining to everyone that I ate ALL of your chips? See how silly that sounds, you making incredible leaps of logic forces me to make stupid metaphors to make you understand how dumb what you just said is. A good commentator ignores stream chat cancer and focuses on the game they're passionate about; why not just admit you're a bad commentator?
Sure why not? Why not just admit that you are a bad listener and a bad arguer and are just looking for more ways to hate on the scene. The only constructive things you've said here, and things there were already done anyway, what are you truely hoping to achieve here? Why cant I be passionate about a game, whilst also having a good time including and interacting with the stream chat, are you the authority on what is and isn't a good commentator, are you saying there is only one way to commentate, a set formula that you must stick to no matter what? If you take nothing else out of me making you look bad, take this. If I am such a bad commentator, why are people saying they really enjoyed my commentary?
You dont usually have people come into a thread after a big tourney just to say they liked the commentary, you almost never see that.

I'm all for co-existing. Remember, I'm criticising you here, not Smash 4.
Are you for co-existing?

unless of course most people saw Smash 4 at TnS as a joke, in which case the commentary was pretty spot on

See, you think that smash 4 is a joke game, and had no place being there? Do you see how you are directly a part of the problem, and how toxic this attitude is? Looks like a great way to co-exist to me.

I didn't want to reply to this because it's just a hugely thoughtless stab from you. "thoughtless stab" constant behavior observed over and over boils down to a "thoughtless stab" huh?

This can't be determined until we can re-watch the GF VODs of Smash 4. Like I said though, I highly doubt good commentary happened. Guess we can only wait.

Pretty done with you though, its now kinda obvious why you're not a respected member of your own community.

be done with me all you like, I was done with you the moment you walked in the door. Its obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. You have been crying here about people just directly attacking others instead of being constructive, and thats exactly what you've done here, except how can I not be respected when people are coming to my defense? If I wasn't respected I wouldn't have been asked to commentate in the first place, or had heaps of people coming in to say hi and support me, again this is you looking at the facts and somehow still getting it wrong. You aren't doing yourself any favors here, already I've had people sending me messages like what's that finXx guys problem, this isn't how you earn a platform dude. Go vent somewhere else.
and to sam

There is a difference between asking "when's melee?" as a legitimate question in chat, especially when the scheduling was as hard to follow as TnS, and berating Smash 4.

Did you mean a difference between asking whens melee and a difference between ripping on the other scenes game? yes of course you are right, but the latter happened, and does happen a lot.

I think a lot of S4 people, particularly who went through the Brawl era, are overly defensive when it comes to melee enthusiasm, and try to 'reverse bash' what they perceive to be melee elitists. If people are straightup dissing the game/players whatever then sure it's a fine response, but too often people are flying off the handle when someone just expresses their interest/anticipation for watching melee.

That may be true of some people, but being on the melee side of things you need to understand whats really happening here. I dont want to be the guy who compares this to **** culture, because it really isn't, but I cant think of a better way to point out how silly it is that when an entire community pushes you around, tells you to kill yourself, tries to bully you out of everything, makes you afraid to post anywhere because you like the wrong game, that victim blaming is ****ing incredibly shallow and shows how much you dont understand the bigger picture.
People do straighup diss, constantly, look around you man, Australia is better than America, but its still the cool thing to be a dank melee diehard fan who ****s on smash 4 kids. As long as thats the cool sociable thing to do, as long as people are constantly pushed out and made uncomfortable by the other community, then its a ****ed up problem and shouldn't just be made light of by telling people to chill.

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
I'll give you the time of day, although I doubt anything constructive will come from it
This is because you hide anything constrictive you have to say within insults, poor reading comprehension and hypocrisy that is very distracting for people who do not enjoy being openly disrespected or dealing with double standards.

cheese619

Smash Ace
This is because you hide anything constrictive you have to say within insults, poor reading comprehension and hypocrisy that is very distracting for people who do not enjoy being openly disrespected or dealing with double standards.
As opposed to finxx constructively pulling stats out of his arse and his passive-aggressiveness.
"I felt like 80% of their "commentary" was mocking the people in chat"

There are many types of commentary, Luke and Gman didn't try to pass their commentary off as 'eSports commentary' the kind that you would see at a LoL tournament or something like that. Personally I find that style of commentary very bland, the commentators censor themselves and have no personality. You can't have a laugh with that style of commentary and it often feels very contrived. Luke and Gman took a different approach and commentated on the game whilst also enjoying themselves and they had great chemistry/banter. That style of commentary is just as valid as the other and it's the reason why commentators such as Yipes in the FGC or HMW in the smash community are so well liked.

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
As opposed to finxx constructively pulling stats our of his arse and his passive-aggressiveness.
"I felt like 80% of their "commentary" was mocking the people in chat"

There are many types of commentary, Luke and Gman didn't try to pass their commentary off as 'eSports commentary' the kind that you would see at a LoL tournament or something like that. Personally I find that style of commentary very bland, the commentators censor themselves and have no personality. You can't have a laugh with that style of commentary and it often feels very contrived. Luke and Gman took a different approach and commentated on the game whilst also enjoying themselves and they had great chemistry/banter. That style of commentary is just as valid as the other and it's the reason why commentators such as Yipes in the FGC or HMW in the smash community are so well liked.
Atyeo's commentary is immaterial to my point since I was at the venue and not listening to it.
Finx's experience of sm4sh finals is a valid data point. He felt the chat interaction was distracting from the viewing experience. You feel differently. We now have two data points. Let's keep doing science.

Zero

Smash Hero
I'm not big on the Smash 4 scene, but I gotta say, I felt like 80% of their "commentary" was mocking the people in chat who were waiting for Melee to start.
It wasn't. /fin

On the Smash 4 commentary, I quite enjoyed the light hearted nature of it, with a little bit of gameplay talk interspersed. However, I think it's completely unprofessional and disrespectful to insult other people, other players, and especially the tournament organiser, whilst commentating on the stream. It's one thing to disagree with certain decisions or to generally lament running over schedule, and it's another thing to dislike somebody, but it's just not appropriate to so viciously bring such contentions online in what should be a professional presentation.

Some shoutouts:

Respect to Gords for running a successful event under significant pressure - despite some hiccups we mostly went without a hitch. Also, please record the doubles set PMTD and Nuffball vs Kirara + M that's stored on your Wii U. I'm desperate to watch that over and over and over again.

EA, thank you so much for your efforts on a fantastic stream setup. I know I gave you some hassle on Sunday about some scheduling decisions but you had it all under control.

Congratulations Waveguider for taking out the event from the losers bracket, fantastic effort and incredible gameplay. I'm still in a set deficit against you, and I'm oh so keen to bring it back. I'll buy a Wii U soon enough :)

Congratulations Ignis for 2nd place. Honestly I feel disappointed about how our set ended (with my SD) and I'm looking forward to a rematch. Very well played in GF though, great sets against Waveguider. Oh, and I'm looking very forward to seeing the recordings from your computer, lots of great sets stored there.

M, my hunch is you're going to win the next set against me, and we'll keep going back and forth as usual. Good games, always clutch.

VIC guys, very nice to see you up for our tournament, means a lot to see the interstate presence. Congratulations Extra on 4th, you did very well against our top players. Thanks all for the friendlies.

Very keen for the crate 4v4 when we're back on your turf.

Pudge, the Korean syndicate is probably after you now.

G-Money | Atyeo and G-Man, your commentary was very entertaining, I can do nothing but smile and laugh while going over these recordings, job well done. I know you warned me about being offended, and you should know me better than to assume I'd be offended :p

Gabe: GOD ****ING DAMN IT.

Sydney players who got knocked out by OoS: we gotta do better than this, we'll never hear the end of it.

Saucy Dancer, Pat, Bjay, Scarpian, Randy, ACT guys, VIC guys, everyone who came dinner and brought that poor guy who finished his shift back into the restaurant for 2 hours, great times.

Everyone I missed, and everyone at the tournament: thanks for your efforts in making Town & Sydney the success it was, to all of us.

S.D

Smash Master
@ luke_atyeo luke_atyeo I understand there's a bigger issue at play, and I understand your position probably better than you realise.

Like I stated my comment was just a general observation, and I think on the whole both ends of the community are far too quick to jump down each other's throats.

I'm not victim blaming - I'm well aware of vitriolic BS some melee people spread, and I'm not saying forget about it.

I don't condone the hate mongering, but sending it back the other way isn't a solution either.

Alls I'm saying, and it really is nothing deeper than this, is that overreacting to innocent queries and considerate melee fandom is not helpful as a general rule, and twitch chat is best ignored at the best of times (srs twitch chat is venom).

Like I mentioned I'm not talking about TnS here, it's just a relevant comment.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I'm not really one for shoutouts, but thanks to the VIC & ACT smash 4 crews making the trip.

I didn't really get a chance to play many of you, and I apologise to those who asked. But it was great for some of our other newer players who didn't make BAM to get a taste of what good play is like over there. Hopefully it gives some of us (and maybe some of you?) that much more motivation to get better.

On a similar note: Sydney, time to learn the Wario matchup? :/

Browny

Smash Hater
I liked the smash 4 commentary.

People abusing the commentators because melee wasnt on probably could have been ignored, but after being told OVER AND OVER again that it was going to be after smash 4, and still hurling insults, maybe they deserved to be addressed on stream and told to STFU.

Ideally those trolls would have just been muted/banned from the chat, but then they'd go insane over being attacked by smash 4 fans for simply asking when their game was. Imagine the drama that would have started, good god.

Exactly how much **** did the commentators have to cop before it would have been fair to silence those demanding melee? Ignoring them isn't the answer when they took up the majority of the chat at times.

Last edited:

Zero

Smash Hero
Real talk, PM was on stream waaaay too long on the second day.

When a top 8 bracket is three hours behind schedule, you don't get to stream your entire top 8, and two Losers round 4 games, and play Bo5 for random losers bracket sets, at the expense of every other pro bracket playing. S4 was stalled for hours waiting for PM to finish, and honestly I'm surprised we weren't finishing the tournament at Gords' place.

also luke is cool

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
I had a good time.

Top Bottom