• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Town & Sydney, An Australian Major Smash Tournament July 10th - 12th

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Ok guys Rules for Town & Sydney are up
you can view them using the following link
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PcBze29npznrDDZeygv2zwNY_5ftH-V1hhcBTLFfB38/edit?usp=sharing
Hey Gords, I have a few questions about the rules:

Selfdestruct moves include only Ganondorf’s Side-B, King Dedede’s Neutral-B, Wario’s Neutral-B, and Kirby’s Neutral-B.
What about Bowser's Side-B?

2. About the Wii U stages: No Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege or Duck Hunt?

crews, money matches and friendlies
Can we also use Friday to set up customs that aren't part of the EVO sets?

4. Lastly just a general question, just wondering why is the Wii U gamepad banned? (This doesn't affect me, but it may affect other players)

Last edited:

GTR

Smash Cadet
I'm not Gords but I can try to answer some of the questions:

Re 2. New DLC stages which are more viable for tournaments means that those stages don't need to be played anymore/be part of a tournament stage list.

Re 4. Only one Gamepad can be used per console which is technically unfair if two players theoretically want to play on a Gamepad so it's better if they are just banned outright.

Last edited:

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet
What about Bowser's Side-B?
Bowser's side special in 3DS/Wii U actually releases the opponent before hitting the lower blast line, and can be recovered from depending on the character and stage. It's essentially the same as if the opponent was to break out of Dedede/Kirby/Wario's neutral special just before they hit the blast line; you simply died while they lived, and as such it is not covered by the rule.

Can we also use Friday to set up customs that aren't part of the EVO sets?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. There's pretty much no chance you'll be playing on the same setup all throughout the three days, and since only 2 slots per character are allocated for free use, there's the possibility that a set you decide to put in on Friday could be overwritten over the course of the next two days since those slots are for everyone. Nothing should stop you from importing your set onto the Wii U when you want to use it though, especially on the Friday, since it's not like you need to be on schedule for the lack of a tournament.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Re 2. New DLC stages which are more viable for tournaments means that those stages don't need to be played anymore/be part of a tournament stage list.
Of the two new stages, only one can be considered new, and I feel there is still a debate to be had here. In melee, one of the main differences between dreamland and battlefield are the blast zones. The testing that has been done on Smash 4 Dreamland shows that the blast zones are actually almost identical to Battlefield's.

There is a valid argument to be made that the increased general dimensions of Dreamland (main/floating platform length and floating platform height) make it different enough to be considered a different stage, so I guess we'll see how such a debate unfolds over the coming weeks/months.

Nonetheless, I don't think the introduction of new DLC stages is a valid reason for removing old stages from the stage list. If it has been decided that, after testing them for a few tournaments and getting some experience with them it has been decided that they are not suitable for tournament play, that is fair enough. But adding new stages should not be the sole reason to remove old ones.

Last edited:

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I'm not Gords but I can try to answer some of the questions:

Re 4. Only one Gamepad can be used per console which is technically unfair if two players theoretically want to play on a Gamepad so it's better if they are just banned outright.
That makes sense.

Bowser's side special in 3DS/Wii U actually releases the opponent before hitting the lower blast line, and can be recovered from depending on the character and stage. It's essentially the same as if the opponent was to break out of Dedede/Kirby/Wario's neutral special just before they hit the blast line; you simply died while they lived, and as such it is not covered by the rule.
On one hand this makes sense, on the other hand I've never ever seen anyone recover from a Bowsercide. The number of characters that could recover that far vertically would be pretty small too, so if you're not using one of those few characters it seems it'll be tough luck if you get caught by a Bowsercide.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. There's pretty much no chance you'll be playing on the same setup all throughout the three days, and since only 2 slots per character are allocated for free use, there's the possibility that a set you decide to put in on Friday could be overwritten over the course of the next two days since those slots are for everyone. Nothing should stop you from importing your set onto the Wii U when you want to use it though, especially on the Friday, since it's not like you need to be on schedule for the lack of a tournament.
Just in the interest of saving time I guess, instead fiddling around before your set to set up a custom moveset that's not part of the EVO sets you set it up beforehand. But eh, guess it's not a huge deal.

There is a valid argument to be made that the increased general dimensions of Dreamland (main/floating platform length and floating platform height) make it different enough to be considered a different stage, so I guess we'll see how such a debate unfolds over the coming weeks/months.
Dream Land 64 does has the blowing tree, remember. That element alone makes it different to standard battlefield.

Nonetheless, I don't think the introduction of new DLC stages is a valid reason for removing old stages from the stage list. If it has been decided that, after testing them for a few tournaments and getting some experience with them it has been decided that they are not suitable for tournament play, that is fair enough. But adding new stages should not be the sole reason to remove old ones.
However I agree with this. Especially in the case of Delfino, Castle Siege and Duck Hunt, they are all stages that have been used in tournaments for a long time now, and all change things up from your standard stages creating more diversity. So I'm really not sure why they were deemed unsuitable just because a couple of new ones (one that is identical to another apart from cosmetic changes, and one that's very similar to it) were added.

Oh, one last question:

Will there be a rule in place to prevent the abuse of that Pac-man glitch that's been recently discovered (assuming it's not patched out beforehand)?

Last edited:

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
On one hand this makes sense, on the other hand I've never ever seen anyone recover from a Bowsercide. The number of characters that could recover that far vertically would be pretty small too, so if you're not using one of those few characters it seems it'll be tough luck if you get caught by a Bowsercide.
It's not about surviving the Bowsercide in general. Because Bowser dies in the process, and you can survive however long your character can after release, you will win the match anyway.

EDIT: Pac-Trampoline glitch is janky but honestly nothing gamebreaking. Most characters shouldn't have an issue recovering from under the stage, and the Pac-Man would be jumping through hoops to set this up as is.

Last edited:

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
Thought may as well post it here.
Summoner, we never got to play at Project Melbourne, wanna MM in PM? I don't think we've ever played/I've seen you play, so keen as :D
$10/$20 whatever you prefer. Bo5 standard rules.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
totally duder, i was so sad we didn't play in pools at project melb :(

I can do $20 np, friday night of the event?

Gruel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gruel
are the tournaments gonna be a 3 day tournament or is it going to be 1 tournament each day? basically I'm saying do I have to be there all 3 days? as I might not be able to play the 3 days and might only be there for 1 day.

Gords

Smash Champion
are the tournaments gonna be a 3 day tournament or is it going to be 1 tournament each day? basically I'm saying do I have to be there all 3 days? as I might not be able to play the 3 days and might only be there for 1 day.
I sent you an email, but basically it's one tournament that will be played out on the Saturday and Sunday. Saturday being the qualifiers for the pro and amateur brackets that will be played on Sunday.

If your interested definitely try to make it Saturday. Even if you can't enter into any events you can play friendlies on any spare setups, a casual pass is only $10 and available at the door

Last edited:

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Was I supposed to receive an email other than the standard Paypal receipt?

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Is anyone still looking for housing? I am able to house from the Thursday onwards.

Gords

Smash Champion
TOWN & SYDNEY 10th-12th July
10 Days to go, the count down begins!!!

HOUSING AVAILABLE
Thursday 9th - Monday 13th July.
If you are still in need of housing please contact either myself or @ Invisi Invisi .
both of us have limited spaces but we will do our best.

REGISTRATION CLOSES THIS SUNDAY 11pm.
If you're interested in attending please fill in the Town & Sydney Registration Form by 11pm Sunday 5th July. Ill accept payments up till Tuesday 7th July.

If you have difficulty paying or need the payment link please contact me or email sydneysmashbros@gmail.com

Gords

Smash Champion
Only 1 week to go

2 DAYS TO REGISTER
REGISTRATION CLOSES THIS SUNDAY 11pm.
If you're interested in attending please fill the Town & Sydney Registration Form by 11pm Sunday 5th July. Ill accept payments up till Tuesday 7th July.
If you have difficulty paying or need the payment link please contact me or email sydneysmashbros@gmail.com

SIDE EVENT PRIZES
Don't think you have what it takes to make it out of pools? Never Give Up, Never Surrender, You may not be in the running for cash prizes but the Amiibo Tournament and Amateur Bracket winners get some of these goodies.
T&Sprizes.JPG

HOUSING AVAILABLE
If you are still in need of housing please contact either myself or @ Invisi Invisi .

Splice

Smash Hero
This makes me happy I entered PM coz I'm probs gonna end up in amateurs no lie

Yoshi's Woolly World cover is extremely valuable due to Poochy on the front cover

Joeza02

Smash Rookie
Just wondering what day and time the smash for wii u and amiibo tournaments are?

Gords

Smash Champion
all tournaments go over 2 days, pools Saturday and brackets Sunday, a full schedule will be released after i get numbers.
the amiibo tournament will likely be run over both days, based on the times we have a spare WiiU console to run it on

Gords

Smash Champion
REGISTRATION CLOSES TODAY 11pm
We are almost at 100 unique entrants HYPE guys, lets break that 100.

If you're interested in attending please fill in Town & Sydney Registration Form by 11pm Sunday 5th July. Ill accept payments up till Tuesday 7th July.

HOUSING AVAILABLE

Last edited:

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Sorry I really wanted to come, but annual leave got rejected :/ Didnt have enough time to pre book it because yeah.... Late announcement. Goodluck everyone =). I'll see you next time ;o

Joeza02

Smash Rookie
Couple of questions , I have registered for a casual pass online and having difficulty with PayPal so is it ok if I pay at the door? Also, any age restrictions? Also, to enter the amateur compitition (specifically the smash for Wii U competition) do you have to have a competitor pass and how do you enter? Thanks a lot, excited to come!

Gords

Smash Champion
Casual passes can be paid for at the door.

Amateur brackets are only available to those that enter into the main event of the same game. It is for those that place just outside of qualifying for the Pro Bracket. As such requires a competitor pass and entry into the main main event. If you barely miss out on getting out of your pool you will be automatically entered into the amateur bracket

Last edited:

Joeza02

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot! Looking forward to (hopefully) seeing the smash 4 tournaments and entering my Amiibo! Are there any age restrictions?

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
Now that signups are finished, I imagine a schedule will be up soon. In the meantime, do you have final numbers for entrants?

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I'm sure you are working on it but just wondering when we would expect to see the schedule? I mean the tournament technically starts tomorrow (although the tournament proper doesn't start until Saturday), but the schedule is information we need.

ToddTalks

Smash Rookie
If anybody wants to play sm4sh today, let me know and add my wii u - Stanley_Vanilla. Will probably head to the venue tonight to get some friendlies in too.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
No disrespect / I know the event is running but those prize incentives for amateurs are a bit silly. IMO unless you're a serious contender for top place in pro you are better off flopping out of pools on purpose for an easy ride through amateurs, for a guaranteed reward.

Last edited:

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Awesome event, really enjoyed it as my first major Smash tourney. Congrats to Waveguider for winning Smash 4.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I had a fantastic time, thanks to Gords and the rest of the Sydney team for making this a great tournament! I will probably post some shoutouts soon.

Astra Waifucon

Smash Cadet
Before I say stuff, I wanted to apologise for my pause. I apologise to the viewers, the players and the streamers.
Beyond that, the tournament was really great. I can say that all of the Melbourne players had a great time competing. This was our first tournament outside of our state afterall and I'm glad to see how welcoming everyone was.

Now for shoutouts:

-Zxv for cheering me up when I SD'd against you
-Kira for being really cool and showing me that trumping is actually the truth.
-SaucyDancer for being cool with my mistake and just being a great dude.
-Waveguider for hating luma in friendlies and being really fun.
-Deez Jr. for winning the amiibo tournament
-Fruit for breaking my shield
-Gords for double tripping me
-Anyone else I played this weekend

Thanks for the time, I'm really proud of Melbourne and Sydney's work this weekend and although I didn't reach my top 8 goal, I'm very motivated to do better in later tournaments.

Top Bottom