• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top ten at Apex 2013 predictions.

Battlecow

Play to Win
PP's gonna take it all

and you guys are all gonna act like it's a surprise

and I'm gonna laugh

bËst^

Smash Journeyman
My predictions in a nutshell: One of the "great ones" (including Mango, Armada, Hbox, Dr.PP and M2K) will suffer something unpredictable and places behind top 7.

Othervice I predict there'll be few suprises in the bracket all the way.

Beat!

Smash Master
f you honestly think Bladewise and Kels are a realistic threat to mango,
I don't (I removed "etc" form your quote, because there are some players on that list that I do think pose a threat to Mango), but you put S2J -who hasn't won a single game vs Armada in the three sets they've played- on your list. Like, the guy's really ****ing good, but putting him on the "can beat Armada" list while at the same time NOT putting anyone except Armada on the "can beat Mango" list despite the fact that several others have won games/sets against him just reeks of inconsistent reasoning to me.

I know it's opinion. That's why I asked for clarification.

past_b

Smash Apprentice
I think axe has the potential for top 3 if everything breaks his way, e.g. he meets pp and/or m2k in bracket, both of whom I think he is capable of beating.

I think mango takes this tourney. I'm not a mango fanboy but damn he has been virtually unbeatable the past half year. I can't see even the best player in the world, i.e. Armada stand in his way!

:phone:

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I don't (I removed "etc" form your quote, because there are some players on that list that I do think pose a threat to Mango), but you put S2J -who hasn't won a single game vs Armada in the three sets they've played- on your list. Like, the guy's really ****ing good, but putting him on the "can beat Armada" list while at the same time NOT putting anyone except Armada on the "can beat Mango" list despite the fact that several others have won games/sets against him just reeks of inconsistent reasoning to me.

I know it's opinion. That's why I asked for clarification.
There are a number of things to I took into account when making my list, and it wasn't just a matter of "who beat who".

Numerous players have beat mango when he was clowning around, or using secondaries, or just fluked out a win. I didn't consider any of those guys for my list because they don't (imo) really stand a chance at beating mango the way he's curently playing and how seriously he seems to be taking the game the last 6 months. That's why I don't have guys like Taj or Bladewise or whatever regardless of beaitng mango in the past.
Also note that I don't even have PP in my "could beat" mango list. Why? Because I honestly think mango has him on lock in the falco ditto. Of course I could be wrong and PP might just wreck him.

Furthermore, like I said, if I was just making a list of "who beat/took games from who", then I would include Leffen in my "could beat armada" list because I actually think a ntsc set vs the two could swing leffen's way if he plays the way he did at smashers reunion (or whatever tourny that was recently). However, I don;t have leffen listed because I don't even think he will get far enough to face armada because he will be seeded far away (region bias) and there are dozens of western hemisphere dudes in between who could/would take him out.

It's not like I was intentionally making a long list just to make it seem like armada is gonna lose to a bunch of guys just to rustle european jimmies.

And I put S2J in armada's list cuz S2J is the ****ing man. Deal with it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
There are a number of things to I took into account when making my list, and it wasn't just a matter of "who beat who".

Numerous players have beat mango when he was clowning around, or using secondaries, or just fluked out a win. I didn't consider any of those guys for my list because they don't (imo) really stand a chance at beating mango the way he's curently playing and how seriously he seems to be taking the game the last 6 months. That's why I don't have guys like Taj or Bladewise or whatever regardless of beaitng mango in the past.
Also note that I don't even have PP in my "could beat" mango list. Why? Because I honestly think mango has him on lock in the falco ditto. Of course I could be wrong and PP might just wreck him.
PP almost took impulse, he won WF's

Mango wasn't clowning around or using secondaries when Taj beat him. He ****ed up, badly, but that could happen again.

Look at me arguing against myself

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
After seeing Mango's Falcon roll through some of the best Peaches in North America (VaNz, Vwins, Bladewise, Darkatma) these past few months, I'm now genuinely interested in seeing him bring out the Falcon against Armada.
IIRC, during an interview or something at the big house 2, he said he didn't want to use falcon against armada because he felt it would be copping out. He wants to beat armada using fox.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
...Okay yes Mango's really good at wrecking people who upset him once, but what's to keep him from getting upsetted again then by some new upset-maker? Armada doesn't wreck people who upset him once because he never gets upsetted. :p (would upsetted be the past tense of upset? Help me out here people) Everyone IS aware that he's dropped exactly two sets in over a year and a half, right? And that those losses were in Grand Finals to amazing players that he went on to beat?
This. (That's the point I was making but I guess I wasn't clear.)

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
I like how Hbox is out, even I hate watching puff vs ylink I really thing Hbox is easily the best in USA against Armada. And if somehow Mango pull off puff he will easily win apex.

Following the "people who can beat Mango/Armada" Mango only has Armada as possible counter, maaaaaybe PP... But Armada has the top 4 from USA and someone else

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
I've heard Sheik is really good against Falcon.
Edited for clarity.

Are there any good vids of Armada's Sheik? I love seeing alternates of top players. That one match of his Marth versus Leffen is still imprinted in my brain.

I'd consider donating to a prize pool explicitly to fund a single-elimination bracket side event containing Mango, Armada, PP, and M2K in an all-character iron man battle. Probably only two stocks per character in the interests of time. Seeds can be determined randomly. Or maybe just like ten characters of the player's choosing... or one from each tier... but that'd mean they both have to pick IC's...

*sorry Hbox, had to pick four out of the five and you're not as known for your not-main characters as those four--no diss is intended*

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
Didn't Armada do an ironman against Leffen recently? I'll see if I can find it.

Meanwhile, new discussion: what do y'all think of Javi's chances against some of the top players?

Edit: Also, does anyone know how seeding will work at APEX? That could change predictions a lot based on who will face whom. A bracket where Javi faces, say, Westballz, KK, and PP in winners will be way different from one where he faces Axe, M2K, and Hbox.

MVP

Smash Ace
His sheik is far from beating mango................. Far

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
if by some very odd reason mango and armada don't meet in bracket there MUST be an mm/pride set between them.

:phone:

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think the ironman between Armada and Leffen was at King Funk's Castle, and someone posted a thread for it in Melee Discussion, so you can search for it that way.

Bieber

Smash Apprentice
His sheik is far from beating mango................. Far
in a pre-apex stream, armada's sheik went like 50-1 against leffen's fox, so it's definitely capable of hanging with top players and not just destroying random lower level europeans (no offense to king funk and vj). i've heard many people say that his sheik is much better than his peach is against falcon, and this is the peach that 3 stocked s2j at apex and repeatedly 3 stocked fuzzyness's falcon last time they played in tourney.

i think armada's sheik could beat mango's falcon, and i wouldn't be surprised if his peach could too. yeah mango's falcon destroys every other peach but i don't think that proves much since armada is way WAY better than every other peach; it's like how pp absolutely dominates every other peach but armada still beats him. i think he'll have the best chance against armada going straight fox

leffen

Smash Champion
armadas sheik did not beat my fox 50-1 lol, and even if it did im horrible against sheik.

im pretty sure armadas sheik would lose to s2j and the other top falcons tbh.

Gastogh

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I just have a bad memory but I usually see PP win vs Armada.
Over the nine tournament sets they've played, the score is Armada 6-3 PP. In those nine sets they've played 40 games, where the numbers are Armada 25-15 PP.

(Yes, I keep track of individual games. Because SSBPD won't. :c )

Beat!

Smash Master
Maybe I just have a bad memory but I usually see PP win vs Armada.
PP's victories over Armada:
Set 1 of Pound V GF 2011
Set 2 of Pound V GF 2011
Set 1 of Smashers' Reunion GFs 2012

Armada's victories over PP:
Apex 2010 LSF
Pound V WF 2011
Genesis 2 WQF 2011
Apex 2012 WSF
Smashers' Reunion WF 2012
Set 2 of Smashers' Reunion GF 2012

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
6 to 3 isn't really that huge of a difference IMHO

I think PP has a super duper legit shot vs Armada, probably better than the rest of us in the "maybe" category

S2J will get ***** (no offense)

Hax, me, Shroomed, M2K, and Hbox have solid shots but I think PP has the best just 'cuz his game vs Peach is retardedly polished and I feel he has a better chance of figuring out Armada than vice versa

PP is so smart

That said, mental stuff takes time and Armada doesn't give you time when he death touches you. Armada is also more technically consistent and that matters a lot in such a volatile MU.

That said, I'll be interested to see what Armada's learned for this tournament since he always has a bit more refinement on his stuff whenever he comes over. I hope it involves either powershielding or dair. I like dair. And I'm still waiting for this era of PS > Falco neutral game completely that Europe keeps talking about.

Mango has a super duper solid shot too. Not sure how it stacks up to PP's, so I've omitted him. He's insane though.

Armada is probably the favourite to win.

If Javi and Armada play, Armada will 2-4 stock him however many times he needs to and that will be the set. Javi will probably get a lame shine KO somewhere and shoot a lot of lasers. I don't see Javi's gimmicks working vs Armada's sheer, unbridled, homosexuality. And death combos.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
PP and Armada always have super tight sets too.

They're seriously such a good player MU and character MU it's so much fun to watch.

Top Bottom