• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 5 Yoshis

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Well, basically anyone could fit into #5, really. Once you get past #4 everyone's results start to seem really similar.

:069:

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I'm actually kinda surprised so many people are putting me down as #3. >.> Sure, I do have a couple decent placings, but I really feel like my good OoP wins are just a result of shock value, and I've been doing gradually worse at locals as time passes. It seems strange seeing me being placed immediately below players with the kind of accomplishments that Polt and Delta have, while being placed above players who have been getting results in harder regions than mine for longer than I have been placing. This feeling may be influenced by the fact that I have been playing poorly for the last month, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

If I had to make a top 5 list strictly for North America, it would be Poltergust and Delta-Cod for 1st and 2nd, with some combination of Hades, MX, Stocky, and Yosh (alphabetical order by the names I listed them as, lol) for 3rd through 5th. Maybe the results do imply that I should be third, but I honestly don't feel like I've earned it yet.

:005:

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I think you've improved a lot in this past year firefly. It may be due to shock value, but being able to make it almost to finals in a regional is no easy feat, no matter where you are. The pacific northwest doesn't compare to to some other stacked regions, but results are results, and people see them. You're definitely up there, even if you not in the top five.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm actually kinda surprised so many people are putting me down as #3. >.> Sure, I do have a couple decent placings, but I really feel like my good OoP wins are just a result of shock value, and I've been doing gradually worse at locals as time passes. It seems strange seeing me being placed immediately below players with the kind of accomplishments that Polt and Delta have, while being placed above players who have been getting results in harder regions than mine for longer than I have been placing. This feeling may be influenced by the fact that I have been playing poorly for the last month, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

If I had to make a top 5 list strictly for North America, it would be Poltergust and Delta-Cod for 1st and 2nd, with some combination of Hades, MX, Stocky, and Yosh (alphabetical order by the names I listed them as, lol) for 3rd through 5th. Maybe the results do imply that I should be third, but I honestly don't feel like I've earned it yet.

Don't john for other people about shock value. If Yoshi sucks, shock shouldn't carry you far against good players. You're not bad, you're a good player. The thing is, is that (and this is gonna sound really cocky/whatever), is that Polt and I have been doing extremely well lately and are probably a step above all the other currently active Yoshis, so it's probably gonna look like a huge gap after place 2. I'd definitely rate you as one of the better Yoshis, but a lot of us are at a similar skill level so it's hard to decide exactly who's better than who.

So man up and get better! :mad:

Eh I've been placing decently in a tough region but I don't consider myself anywhere near that list yet since I'm fairly new. XD
Really, if I see you at another event, come get me before you go play a serious set, and if I'm not busy with my own match I'll try and see what you're doing wrong and give you pointers. Sorry for being so busy at Viridian, I didn't get to see you as much as I should have. =/

D

Deleted member

Delta ur so cocky u arent even top 5 ur competition suxxx

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Well I'm not bad... but I guess a few pointers wouldn't hurt. The next regional I'm going to is Redemption, you going there? >_> Oh and don't worry about Viridian, I got a lot out of watching you play those last couple of sets XD

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I think you've improved a lot in this past year firefly. It may be due to shock value, but being able to make it almost to finals in a regional is no easy feat, no matter where you are. The pacific northwest doesn't compare to to some other stacked regions, but results are results, and people see them. You're definitely up there, even if you not in the top five.
Thanks. Why haven't I seen you at any tournaments since TP Portland? D=

Don't john for other people about shock value. If Yoshi sucks, shock shouldn't carry you far against good players.
Have you ever heard people say that WC is really bad against bad characters? I'd be really inclined to believe that now. :x Plus, I only really got good wins at that one tournament when nobody knew what to expect.

The thing is, is that (and this is gonna sound really cocky/whatever), is that Polt and I have been doing extremely well lately and are probably a step above all the other currently active Yoshis, so it's probably gonna look like a huge gap after place 2.
Nah, that makes sense, lol. The two of you have been putting in some serious work lately.

So man up and get better! :mad:
Thanks, but I have some mindset issues I need to get around before I can progress much further. >.>

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Slice and Bigman are still the only two Yoshis that actually have the talent required to control the character; the people who place better either:

1. play smarter
2. play gayer
3. play more
4. play

I say give it another two years before the higher-placing Yoshis catch up and implement these skills into feasible gameplay strategies. Don't argue with me; I've seen your videos (all of them). I know what's what in here.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Actually, he's right. Slice and Big are the two people I know with the most technical control of Yoshi. They can move him around incredibly fluently, and this opens up a lot of options. Most of have mastered Yoshi's basic movement options, while those two have mastered the advanced ones.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I do advanced stuff too ;-;. But ya he's right. "Top" Yoshis like just realized that being able to go aggro can be a good thing. (Hi Delta <3)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
But you shouldn't go super aggro on Bowser, Ganny, Dedede, and Snake, which is the majority of the big ones. You have to go super gay on them. (And technically, ROB, isnt even that big. He's the 10th heaviest, which is even less than Yoshi...)

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Well definitely not Snake. Screw Snake. >_> But I do make it work by spacing myself properly. If they start punishing that's when I go defensive.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I usually pivot grab alot, And when he tries to camp with grenades I camp back with eggs since those come out faster then the grenades and make them explode in the process cause of the Eggs having two hitboxes.
For his Tilts I just sheild them and maybe SDI and Sheild grab him after he's done.

Also back on topic with the top 5 Yoshi's and stuff, i'll get around to the defeats/losses sooner or later.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Snake ***** me so hard and I can't figure out why. Someone reaaaaaaaaaally needs to help me with that match up. >_<

Slush, if pivotgrabbing is working a lot on Snake, then the Snake is doing it wrong. He can easily punish it with Ftilt. >_>''

D

Deleted member

PIvot grabbing works well in lots of situations, not in close range.

Its not that hard imo, pretty even i think. Yoshi rappesss snake and snake raaapes yoshi.
Like its not unreasonable for yoshi to get like 110 damage to snakes like 30, but then snake gets a dthrow and a read and its even again. certain stages are really hard for yoshi vs snake as well (halberd is baaaad if they camp the part of the stage with the hazards.)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Don't Deltacod in this match-up. :)

Oh, and juggle Snake. ALWAYS juggle Snake. And go for f-air spikes. You're going to need them.

:069:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If you can't get a fair, nair them. And when they recover high, don't go up in the air to stop them unless you know it'll work, wait on the ground/platforms and punish his landing. His air speed is bad and after Cypher his options in the air are terrible. He doesn't even have any good airials.

What I do, is I camp snake until I find an opening for a grab or egglay. Once you get your tongue on him, get him in the air or offstage. If he's offstage, keep him there with
nair and try to gimp him. Watch for bair and uair though, but know that of he uses them he has to drop quite a bit due to endlag. If you get him above the stage, bait with usmash, uair, and bair. Bair works really good if he tries to air dodge to the ground as you can hit him in his landing and the ground cancel it into a utilt or dsmash.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Slice and Bigman are still the only two Yoshis that actually have the talent required to control the character
Actually, he's right. Slice and Big are the two people I know with the most technical control of Yoshi. They can move him around incredibly fluently, and this opens up a lot of options. Most of have mastered Yoshi's basic movement options, while those two have mastered the advanced ones.
Zudenka too.

:059:
BRB Nabbin' some replays to show you guys that I have just as much techskill with Yoshi.

If you think I'm joking, it's the only thing I ever work on.

bigman40

Smash Master
If you guys were looking closer to what Jile used as reference, he said our names because he saw our videos associated with the techskill over the years. Air, you've been talking to me about how much you're gotten the techs down, but you barely have any videos to show it (uploaded videos and you know this). Idk about Zudenka's case cause he has a few videos up here though.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I can do a decent amount of techs, I just have to start applying them more. Im starting to use more DR now.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I have DR fully implemented into my game and play a more technical Yoshi than almost everyone on the boards, I just don't have any local tournaments and don't have to time to drive out of state, so I'm falling way behind in my MU experience.

I would probably get beat by anybody here even though I am God's gift to button-mashing.

Airborne

Smash Lord
I'm without a hacked wii right now, so I'm unable to save most replays. I'll try and see if I can save some matches to my SD card tomorrow, provided that there is a weekly and that I'll be able to attend.

Also, Scatz and I have travel johns as well, Jile. =( Sh*t sucks.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I'm without a hacked wii right now, so I'm unable to save most replays. I'll try and see if I can save some matches to my SD card tomorrow, provided that there is a weekly and that I'll be able to attend.

Also, Scatz and I have travel johns as well, Jile. =( Sh*t sucks.
I think it's probably also why we have nothing else to do but practice our tech skills. No coincidence. =P

Top Bottom