• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Stage Counter Picks/Bans {BOWSER!}

Ravin

Smash Lord
Hmm... You live in Colorado as well. Have I played you at a tournament before?

And sure. just lemme know when. And Rainbow Cruse isn't bad for Samus either. Go with JJ, but im telling you, most Samus's play on that stage enough to work around it now. Unless your Xyro, He didn't know you could angle Samus's Final Smash <_< <3

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Hmm... You live in Colorado as well. Have I played you at a tournament before?

And sure. just lemme know when. And Rainbow Cruse isn't bad for Samus either. Go with JJ, but im telling you, most Samus's play on that stage enough to work around it now. Unless your Xyro, He didn't know you could angle Samus's Final Smash <_< <3
how does me not knowing about final smashes make me not know about stages?

damezguy

Smash Apprentice
i feel pirate ship is a good stage to cp against olimar as his pikmin cannot do there job properly there. honestly, when facing olimars i rarely have trouble here.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
We already have that for Olimar. >_>

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Samus is done.
Very nice amount of input! =)

Thanks a lot guys, especially Xyro and Ravin. =D

Sheik is next.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
I don't think there is a clear stage that Toon Link would have an advantage over Sheik.

Any stage that would help him not get gimped as easily, and I guess Yoshi's Island is a good stage for TL apparently? or Pirate Ship if it is legal.

Neutrals you might want to strike BattleField. All the others seem to be fine for both.
You'll probably want to ban Frigate Orpheon or NorFair in CP

Sheik really excels in a good gimp and edge guard game and the less stage to recover on makes Frigate Orpheon a good choice. NorFair is there since Sheik's tether reigns over Toon Link's and it is fairly easy to pull of Vanish KOs on that stage and tippers can hit under the platforms.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Lylat hurts TL more than sheik.
Yoshi's Island is always a good TL stage has nothing to do with the match-up.

I would say Frigate is the best CP vs Sheik IMO.

Reasons:
a) Right side without an edge forces her to use her up-b more allowing for better punishment.
b) The slight slopes paired with you sheild can stop he needles easier.
c) High platforms can lead to low % deaths with you Up-smash.
d) The placement of platforms can help TL outcamp Sheik easier.
e) Flat side makes for easier Dair placement (If you that kind of guy).
f) The sides paired with TL's Fair and Bair Result in far horizontal stagespikes. Almost always a kill if it is after sheik's 2nd jump and they dont tech.
g) The transformations of the stage will force sheik into the air, which imo is where you want her to be.

Camping under a platform stops most of sheiks best appoarches; keep control of the platforms and you should do fine.

About the above saying TL will get gimped alot on Frigate. If you play TL right he is one of the harder characters to gimp. Use bombs and rangs to prevent her from chasing you. Dont stall at the edge against sheik. Lastly dont shoot arrows at her while recovering. The lag of the arrow paired with the area that it covers is easy for a good sheik to get around and punish.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
Japes takes away her up-b kills for the most part, but make sure you camp the right side of the stage, so she can't gimp you and let the water take the kill. Also on the right side I believe (might be wrong) her needles can't reach you unless she jumps, which should make it pretty obvious.

Lylat's worked well for me in this matchup. Take advantage of the tilts and you can stop most of her approaches

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
I say any small stage is good because the less distance you have to cover the less needles you have to dodge on your way over there.

Jeet Kune Do

Smash Apprentice
Pick Frigate and Yoshi's Island.

Ban Battlefield, Norfair, or just your least comfortable stage in general. This should depend on how you feel the Sheik is going to counter pick you should you win a match and she has to pick the stage.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Those two stages are good for Shiek. Are you looking at this through Toon Link's perspective?

Because your post looks the other way around to me.

UncleSam

Smash Master
lol so I went to the Sheik Boards and they don't have anything on TL, well I played some matches as Sheik(against a TL) and I didn't have any problems on FD and smashville.
reasons for FD: sheik gets a chance to needle spam, and will run through your projectile spam if the sheik your playing has a good enough timing on the shield. good edgegames for sheik on this stage
reasons for smashville: again good edgegame options, easy to stage kill for sheik on this stage when TL gets knocked off, also Sheik's Fair outspeeds TL's giving a chance to WoP if TL is knocked off. Smashville is small so not much time for us TL's to projectile spam, sheik is an approach character with high speed and a good dash attack, deadly combo.

I'm coming back when we find good CP's for snake, I could use them

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Hmm I like this thread. But sincerely i dont know what to CP against sheik or vice versa (I play both) :/.
But I know both character love norfair. :/ From tink's perspective:

*Frigate orpheon, Battlefield are definite bans. Sheik rules in bf. Platforms really help her with everything. And frigate because of her amazing gimp game. (Could be doubleedged for the sheik tho :/ seeing as her recovery is craptastic. >_> Ive had great sucess in Halberd with sheik in the past. The low ceiling means out DACUs will kill much earlier when tipped.

*CPs: Norfair is a good sheik stage but I honestly think it is better for tink. Our bombing game is awesome here and we are harder to gimp. Pirate ship prevents us from getting gimped too and gives us a spike and is a good tink stage overall.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
For some odd reason in the set of friendlies that I jsut happened to find a sheik main.

I can really say I like Japes vs. Sheik.

Then again, the sheik I played probably didn't have any experience with Japes, and this was only a one time occurance kinda thing, but it might be worth discussing.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Why aren't we talking about Snake now :(

Also, for MK, Lee told me his worst stage is Yoshi's Island:

1. Our dsmash might OHKO MK there,
2. This takes away a big MK tech where they up B backward and it cancels...since you can't go under the stage,
3. Again, since you can't go under the stage, they do less of that gliding under the stage stuff.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Sorry guys, it's being a pain try to to edit the post for some reason. Too much stuff on it??... I don't think it would be that. =/
It keeps goign to some ******** page.
I have the write-up done, so theres no problem with that... >_<

I might try updating it on another computer at my friends house or something tomorrow.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
I quite like green greens, FD and delfino vs a shiek i think rainbow ride is good to but green greens and rainbow ride might be banned at some tourneys fests

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
i think its called "rainbow cruise" but correct me if im wrong

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
No were not talking about snake that was just a random comment. >_> I guess. *looks at the previous page* But yeah RC is our CP against snake.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
how are we not talking about snake. Sheik already has his write up on the front page and snake is next in line.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Uh, an Olimar picked Norfair on me as a counterpick and I ***** em there. It seemed so hard for them to spam me...whatdya guys think?

Heo/Wolfe

Smash Rookie
D3 should have a ban for rainbow cruise as well, he can infinite on the boat. I've seen it happen.. Poor ADHD.

As for Snake, hard to say on the bans I would as far to say ban FD for him cause mortar sliding pisses me off. Ban battlefield too. But vsing him, I always want a stage where there isn't much slide room and I can gimp him well, would prob pick Yoshi's (yay for tilted edges). RC too and we all know why.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Sheik is done.
Sorry for the wait guys.

Snakes next.

Eveelution

Smash Rookie
Uh, an Olimar picked Norfair on me as a counterpick and I ***** em there. It seemed so hard for them to spam me...whatdya guys think?
I really don't know what that Oli was thinking. Maybe they could tether around on all of the platforms and use the super armor frames in the Down B so they would be safe from lava hazards. But the stage's size makes it harder to throw pikmin around while TL's bombs and arrows can still reach across. Not to mention TL can always tether around on the platforms as well, not to mention missing a Dair spike may not always be fatal.
Hmm, that's a strange counterpick to choose...wonder what they were thinking

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
CPs for snake: FD, Rainbow ride/cruise(w/e you call it), nofair, japes, yoshi's B and Battlefield (battlefield is abit of a wierd one iv met snakes that crumble on this stage against our toon so it depends on how the snake plays but id say its 50/50).

Bans for snake: Smashville(he controls this stage the platform is basically a battleship but then our camp game can be quite decent on this stage but still avoid it), lyat cruise, Battlefield(as i said above its 50/50 depending on the snake) and anything with a low ceiling like green greens or corneria.

Lobos

Smash Master
CP: Norfair ......brinstar.......<_<........>_>.......

Ban: I really don't what to ban vs snake because all the neutrals can be 50:50....maybe... Anything with a low celing?

Norfair - High ceiling, lava, big stage = good for TL
Brinstar - My personal pick.......don't pick this if you don't know how to play here.

Panix

Smash Ace
Counter pick RC for most snakes, but in some cases BF would be better, this goes both ways, if your playing a campy snake, go RC. if your playing a Tilty snake, go BF.

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
Hmm... For this I'd say Ban Lylat for sure, CP Rainbow Cruise or, if you can't fight well there, Norfair. Lylat is his battlefield, Norfair is ours.

melito

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Melito37
i was in a tournament like 3 days ago. on brawls deep. i was in grand finals against so fatal, i came from losers braket he cp frigate , and i was doing really good untill the stage started 2 mess me up. at the right where there is no edge 2 grab 2. he kept punishing me there everytime i recover. and i couldv won the match if i didnt sd thanks 2 the stage when it changes.. 2 me i thing frigate should be ban

and for CP i would say delfino. but im not sure other tls would do good in that stage. i won when i cp that one. but delfino is like my TL's home. im so use 2 it.

Top Bottom