• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

Jaxys

Smash Cadet
I simply prefer the set-up of the Wii Mote as opposed to GC, even though they're somewhat similar. I absolutely cannot use the Nunchuk with Brawl I know it's much better.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I've changed controls 5 times (button mapping and different controlers), you get used to it. Incidentaly I ended up on the GC controler and I wondered why I didn't just use it in the first place, so I recomend you make the switch even if it is just for casuals. It'll take you about a week to feel comfortable with a different controler but it's well worth it. I still have a strange button set up on the GC controler (jump is switched with grab) but the point is it's still better.

webshooter

Smash Rookie
Sorry for getting into your baords, but I need to know something about Toon Link.

What has more priority than Toon Link's dair? I can easily expect it coming, but I can't find a way to punish it rather than dodging it or rolling. Thanks!

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Generally its just "Don't get hit by the Dair, and punish during the lag"

And ROB's (I assume you main ROB) Usmash might beat it out if you time it correctly. But its probably safer to just move out of the way and punish with something else.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
Where is young link?

meh.. Ill try to second Tink since Yink and Link was my favorite in Melee and in brawl link is eww and I alwayse hated Tink cous he a spammer but ill try him i guess >.>

webshooter

Smash Rookie
Thanks, but I was just asking in general of what moves have more priority. I can't beat it with R.O.B., but I play as other characters too. I know IC's Uair is better, but what else?

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure ROB's Usmash does work, if you time it correctly, but w.e.

Stuff with big hitboxes.

Eg. Ikes Fsmash, Usmash. Maybe eruption and some other moves.

Metaknight.

OCD

Smash Cadet
whats the easiest way to perform the zair, down grab, dsmash combo? i cant get TL to turn around right after the Dthrow to Dsmash.
Mew

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Buffer the turnaround.

Dthrow
Flick control stick the other way in the last 10 frames of his throw.
Spam down on Cstick.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Can someone point me towards a list of TL ATs that are actually useful?

*edit* never mind, I just printed them all off.

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
How do you use Nair OoS with Toon Link? Everytime I try it I get a Zair.

Hold Shield
Jump
Let go of shield really really fast
Attack

If you keep on holding shield and hit A, you'll do a grab in the air, which means you'll do a Zair.

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Twinkie
Also, can the first hit of Toon Link's Down Smash be Smash DI'ed upwards so that the opponent does not get hit by the second hit?

The Zedi Wonder

Smash Rookie
Is there any way to stop the second hit from the Dair? I know I've stopped it before but sometimes the second hit stabs into the ground regardless.

You mean the pogo?

Nah, if the first stab hits, Toon Link is always going to bounce. The most you can do is time your 2nd stab right so that you land laglessly on the ground. There's a specific timing for it, like around where Toon Link decides to put his sword away, where you can land laglessly. Over time, you'll see it and eventually catch the groove for it.

Amaranth

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have some tips on how to short hop better?
I always have problems with it, maybe its because i'm not doing it correctly? (Lightly tapping my Jump button)

Any tips/tricks?

Just practice it more and more, and you'll eventually get consistent with it. It's just as you say it, lightly tap your jump button. We're only human, we all still mess up our short/full hops every once in a while, so if you're still messing up time after time, don't worry about it.

If you're still having trouble though, perhaps you might want to change your jumping method, and see how a different configuration works out. It should barely make the difference but you can exercise the option if you please.

Amaranth

Smash Rookie
Just practice it more and more, and you'll eventually get consistent with it. It's just as you say it, lightly tap your jump button. We're only human, we all still mess up our short/full hops every once in a while, so if you're still messing up time after time, don't worry about it.

If you're still having trouble though, perhaps you might want to change your jumping method, and see how a different configuration works out. It should barely make the difference but you can exercise the option if you please.
Thanks, is there any specific way to practice it? Like a map or some sort, or should I just sit in training short hopping for hours haha.

Also, if I could, I've got some questions on Zair. Everytime I attempt to use it during a SH, it's too high to hit still...and then I land with lag and get LOLPWNED by a Fsmash or something.

Thanks again,
Amaranth

Thanks, is there any specific way to practice it? Like a map or some sort, or should I just sit in training short hopping for hours haha.
Sitting in training for a couple of hours wouldn't hurt. Any map is fine, although personally I would pick Battlefield.

Also, if I could, I've got some questions on Zair. Everytime I attempt to use it during a SH, it's too high to hit still...and then I land with lag and get LOLPWNED by a Fsmash or something.
Zair when rising is something that not a lot of us use since like you said, it hits too high and usually misses, which leaves you vulnerable to attacks until you land. It works occasionally on tall enemies, or enemies that are in the air, but that's it. I don't recommend rising zair all that often, and would suggest using an alternative option depending on the situation that you're in (perhaps a boomerang?).

Zair is mainly used while moving downward since we only have 2 frames of lag once we touch the ground, falling leaves us less vulnerable to getting hit than rising does, and because it's more likely to hit our opponent. Because of all this, Zair to Nair and Zair to Grab work well, since you can get a quick hit with Zair, and almost instantly follow it up with a Grab or Nair.

Hope this helps.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
My advice? Way back when I had a problem with SH consistency, I just practised in training for a bit with a character who is even harder to SH with (Like Fox for example) until I got it down consistently, then Toon's was super easy and I never had the problem again. If you think Toon's SH is hard, check out the 64 or melee Fox's SH. It just takes practise to get quicker.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Toon link is high

thats why his eyes are so red

any more questions folks? ill be here all night

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Cant deny, he's pretty baked.

But the Teir list says he's mid. Why the curiosity about TL Nike?

:phone:

Nike.

Smash Hero
LOLOL at Hyro.

I'm curious since the next tier list project is coming and I wanted to see what everyone here thought of it. Zss made the jump to high tier on the last one. I think both characters are as good as each other. I keep flipping back and forth on which tier he belongs in, though :(

i personally think that TL should be ahead of zss

and that TL should be top of mid

$0.02

army man

Smash Ace
accept and address

OK so i was playing yesterday with my brothers and i kept on getting spiked after my recovery and kept on getting edge guarded after tether recovering. I'ts starting to appear that toon link needs some better recovery options. does anyone have any suggestions? any type of idea is happily accepted by me and hopefully everyone else.

Top Bottom