• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
I started experimenting with playing TL on SV. I use Wolf and Olimar for this match. For the sake of conversation we'll use wolf.

My idea is that if a Wolf player camps under the platform while it's over the stage, than TL's options are extremely limited.
When the platform leave the stage, Wolf jumps onto it or camps accordingly to how the TL reacts.

Now, my question to you is: What are his options if the wolf has say, a 30% lead on TL and camps under the platform? This is a new stratigy I am trying to develope so I want to really know. I feel like this match is even unless Wolf plays this way then it +2 in his favor. Please help me understand it more. If you tell Gdub, Gdub will tell me cause i probably won't get back on to check this. Thank you TL mains

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
TL should just camp/spam while approaching.

A 30% lead shouldn't phase a TL
But how? Wolf shine is killer on all projectiles but bomb. And you can only throw the bomb foward.

Serously think about it. I really don't think TL can do anything.

And the 30% gap would keep growing cause wolf camps gay as fuh

UncleSam

Smash Master
But how? Wolf shine is killer on all projectiles but bomb. And you can only throw the bomb foward.

IDK what you're talking about dude. You can throw a bomb in 4 directions.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman

Here

____

_\/_________\/____
Wolf TL

You gonna throw a bomb up?
You gonna throw it behind you?
You gonna throw in under you?
Or are you gonna try to hit wolf who is camping under a platform that is moving?

You don't always have to throw a bomb AT your opponents. If he's in front of you, expecting a forward bomb throw from you, and plans on meeting it with a shine, then you could just toss the bomb in any other direction as a mindgame and do something else.

As in:

Throw it backwards -> Bair/Nair Wolf
Throw it upwards -> Nair/Fair/Zair Wolf
Throw it downwards (you're in the air) -> Nair/Zair Wolf

If Wolf is under you, you're obviously in a very disadvantageous position. All you can do really is cover your landing with bombs, to prevent him from jumping up at you. If you're high in the air, throw a bomb and space a landing. If you're not that high in the air, iBomb -> Shield to the platform (Airdodge + ZBomb Drop). Once you touch the ground from either situation, you should gtfo asap, whether it be through another jump, or by running.

MJG

Smash Hero

Well....
and

u know u can always do something besides throwing a bomb dont u?
this

You don't always have to throw a bomb AT your opponents. If he's in front of you, expecting a forward bomb throw from you, and plans on meeting it with a shine, then you could just toss the bomb in any other direction as a mindgame and do something else.

As in:

Throw it backwards -> Bair/Nair Wolf
Throw it upwards -> Nair/Fair/Zair Wolf
Throw it downwards (you're in the air) -> Nair/Zair Wolf

If Wolf is under you, you're obviously in a very disadvantageous position. All you can do really is cover your landing with bombs, to prevent him from jumping up at you. If you're high in the air, throw a bomb and space a landing. If you're not that high in the air, iBomb -> Shield to the platform (Airdodge + ZBomb Drop). Once you touch the ground from either situation, you should gtfo asap, whether it be through another jump, or by running.
Btw...even if we see the space animals using a reflector, that just means we (as the TL players) have to be smart and do things such as Zair>Bomb, etc.

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
Is there a way to Zair when your near the ledge w/o tethering? Like sometimes i'm above the ledge and it tethers downard to the ledge when i wanted to Zair.

KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
How to battle against ZSS Jab? Its a one framer and you can punish this, if she hits your shield. So what do you guys against her? I read the Match.Up Thread already, but its not actually.

Jab limited your close Range attacks because she is always faster than you...

Dyclone

Smash Ace
is there any way to ensure my bomb will explode when I or my shield get hit?
And what are moves I shouldn't be using as TL? I seem to get punished for a lot of them.

NearZzz

Smash Lord
How to battle against ZSS Jab? Its a one framer and you can punish this, if she hits your shield. So what do you guys against her? I read the Match.Up Thread already, but its not actually.

Jab limited your close Range attacks because she is always faster than you...
Nope. Either try to DI behind it, roll away or take the hit.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
side smash. down smash unless you're trying to gimp, upB on the ground unless your sure you'll hit. down air, those are some
I never use grounded up B but I have a habit of using smash attacks to rack up damage, It'll be tough to try to replace those moves

KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
ok edit. THe question was stupid.

Notice:
I have good experience with:
F-Smash first hit, wait until you can use it again and again is very useful, because there shield is going to break, and the most of them are getting crazy, and do stupid things. Like running in the second hit or some other stuff.

KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
Almost every character can punish TL OoS if they shield the 1st part of f smash
maybe, but they are afraid of the second hit after all, so then wont try to punish it. See my videos, most of them wont attack.

UTilt is a better alternative, although it doesn't connect on all characters (Metaknight for example).

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
2 Questions:

-I see some (Toon) Links using Down-A as a sort of momentum cancel mid-flight to DI. How do you make use of this, and how do you cancel out of the Down-A so that you don't continue to fly downward to your death?

-I also see many (Toon) Links pulling out bombs after having been hit up into the air, but whenever I try to pull out a bomb while up in the air, I basically fastfall to my death. Being that Bomb = Down-B, how do you pull out a bomb without fastfalling?

Thanks.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
2 Questions:

-I see some (Toon) Links using Down-A as a sort of momentum cancel mid-flight to DI. How do you make use of this, and how do you cancel out of the Down-A so that you don't continue to fly downward to your death?
Just bair to momentum cancel...
-I also see many (Toon) Links pulling out bombs after having been hit up into the air, but whenever I try to pull out a bomb while up in the air, I basically fastfall to my death. Being that Bomb = Down-B, how do you pull out a bomb without fastfalling?
Pull the bomb at the height of your launch to prevent fastfalling. But...if you're hit really high then you should momentum cancel first, then pull a bomb if it's safe.

Hi.

1. When you get hit, use back air to cancel your momentum. Immediately afterwards, jump and use down air really fast. Try it out in practice beforehand, you'll get the timing for it quickly.

2. I'm not sure what you're doing, but when you get hit, I guess you can lightly hold down then hit B instead of mash it. Alternatively, slide your control stick downward after DIing and push B a little after, as if you were doing a tilt. It's all about the timing.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Just bair to momentum cancel...
Alright thanks. Also, when am I supposed to bair? As soon as I can, right? So just be spamming it while flying off the side?

Pull the bomb at the height of your launch to prevent fastfalling. But...if you're hit really high then you should momentum cancel first, then pull a bomb if it's safe.
So pulling a bomb in the air in ordinary circumstances will make you fastfall a bit? I was watching NinjaLink play as TL and it seemed like he pulled a ****ton of bombs while in the air without fastfalling at all :embarrass:

^ Thanks.

Top Bottom