• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that if you jump (either Full Hop or Short Hop), do a back aerial and then Quickdraw an arrow in the same direction that your Bair was aimed at, Toon Link will move a tiny bit in a the opposite direction in which you shoot the arrow.
Brawl Physics. :bee:

As for QD. Think L-cancel from Melee, except not as strict.

By the way how many frames does QD cut? I always thought it just cut out the startup entirely.

It cut's out 16 frames of startup. The arrow's hitbox comes out on frame 18 and the move lasts 41 frames, but on a quickdraw, it comes out on frame 2 and the move lasts 25 frames.

No no no.

Just before you land on the ground, press B.

If you did it right, you will quick draw. What differentiates a quick draw from a regular arrow is the fact that a quickdraw magically eliminates 18 frames of lag on the startup of the attack.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link also magically holds both the bow and shield in one hand =D.

Jaxys

Smash Cadet
Toon Link also magically holds both the bow and shield in one hand =D.
Good way of telling if you did it correctly. ^^

2 Questions:

What's the difference between a regular Zair, Airdodge + Zair and Airdodge Zair while holding a bomb? I never got the difference.

& is it still considered a "quickdrawn" when the shield and bow aren't held together? Not good at noticing subtle differences.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Zair
-He does a Zair. lol.
-Input : Z while in the air.

Airdodge + Zair
-You get the benefits of invincibility frames before a Zair. But it makes it predictable once the opponent gets used to it.
-Typically used during a short hop. Airdodge keeps you safe on the way up, and Zair covers your way down.
-Input : R, then A in the air.

Airdodge + Zair while holding a bomb
-Same as Airdodge plus Zair. You just have a bomb. rofl.
-If you get the timing right, its pretty useful if the bomb blows up while you're airdodging. Since you can Zair out of the smokescreen, and I believe the bomb -> Zair is a true combo.
-Input : R, DELAY, A in air.
-Don't do R+A together because thats invinci-bomb.

Also, it is not a quickdraw if he does not hold both together. The shield is an indicator that the quickdraw was successful.

Jaxys

Smash Cadet
Thanks. I was thinking that the airdodge or bomb may have magically extended or sped up the tether. xD

Jaxys

Smash Cadet
Sorry for a double post, but I hope that the amount of days in between will apologize!
How does one throw bombs and boomerangs farther? I've seen you guys throw'em really far when mine doesn't :o

If you hit side B at the same time like a smash attack, it'll go farther.
If you hit either side and then B, or lightly push the CS to any side and hit B at the same time, it won't go as far.

Just imagine you're smashing and tilting your boomerangs.

Don't worry about the double post. :)

Jaxys

Smash Cadet
Found something quite interesting.
Bombpull -> SH -> Fthrow the bomb to your opponent -> Zair -> Follow up

I've been practicing this in training on Ganon for the past few minutes. I really like using Nair as a follow up. Sometimes, the tripping potential can lead into an arrow lock which is always nice. Also, you can use it to get a nice Hyphen slash in!

Bomb + Zair = 9-10%
Add in a Nair = 19-20%
(Second hit of Nair connects) = 29-30%
Arrow locking = !?!?!%

Bomb + Zair = 9-10%
Hyphen slash = 24-25%

Bomb + Zair = 9-10%
Grab = Up to you now

Basically, it is a must to press shield before that Zair comes in, and if timed well, it sort of acts like an InvinciBomb where you avoid the explosion of the bomb and then immediately come in with the Zair and follow up!

Not sure if this has been mentioned though, just did it on a match and I found it to be quite useful =P

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
I find performing a zair while holding a bomb tough. Can I get some frame data or something?

The input is just R + delayed A, right? But just how delayed, because obviously if you delay too long you'll just airdodge.

Dajayman

I found out my problem, it seems you need to hold R for a bit then press A. I was either pressing R+A which made me bomb drop or I was pressing R and letting go and then pressing A which made me do a normal bomb throw, lol.

Thanks for the help.

Hyro

Smash Lord
I found out my problem, it seems you need to hold R for a bit then press A. I was either pressing R+A which made me bomb drop or I was pressing R and letting go and then pressing A which made me do a normal bomb throw, lol.

Thanks for the help.
no you ****ing noob.

you press r to airdodge. when you're holding a bomb and airdodging, you can zair.

Which means you press R (or L), just ****ing airdodge, then, press A...or Z.....

served with extra salt.

Dajayman

I just didn't know it was possible to zair anytime during an airdodge before. I was trying to do the zair before I airdodged because I thought I'd have to wait until the airdodge was over to zair.

But I figured this over a week ago, so your mean advice didn't help. :/

Hyro

Smash Lord
I just didn't know it was possible to zair anytime during an airdodge before. I was trying to do the zair before I airdodged because I thought I'd have to wait until the airdodge was over to zair.

But I figured this over a week ago, so your mean advice didn't help. :/
oh. well then **** you.

hi pj and mjg :)

Jaxys

Smash Cadet
What's the best way to pull out bombs? I've been trying a lot of SH bumb pull quickdraw but it's getting predictable.

Can anyone help me with the boomerang too? I don't get how to use it :D

NH Cody

Smash Champion
lol...I don't know what to tell you if you don't know how to use a boomerang xD

Throw it?

When you're far away from your opponent?

And angle it?

lol

also another way to pull out a bomb is with a full hop, then you can do different stuff after that, such as airdodge zair into the ground, or boomerang, or FF QD, or double jump boomerang, etc.

Moved all those hilarious *** posts to the gd cause it was too golden for the inquiry thread lol

Dajayman

Just mix up your bomb pull. I tend to mixup SH bombpull > QD, SH bombpull > DJ, FH bomb > land on platform, and dash away bombpull > JC bombthrow.

Also tossing a boomerang in the air to cover your bombpulls helps as well, the boomerang will either hit your opponent away or it'll offer some potential protection when it comes back.

Jaxys

Smash Cadet
I feel silly for not being able to do a JC bombthrow.
But that's probably because I use the nub controller. -shakes fist at Wii Mote-

Thanks again

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Or you could just press Direction + A + Jump at the same time. No timing required.

And set Jump as L/R or something

(GC Controller)

Jaxys

Smash Cadet
I'm sort of limited when it comes to ATs because of the fact that I use the Wii mote of its side, but I'll be trying what Chsal said when I have time.

Ic0slay3r

Smash Apprentice
I'm sort of limited when it comes to ATs because of the fact that I use the Wii mote of its side, but I'll be trying what Chsal said when I have time.
You shouldn't limit yourself. Change to a GC it will make life 100 times more easier.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Well, doesn't really matter if you play casuals and stuff, but GC is better for anything more serious.

Or at least attach Nunchuk so you have a control stick. (SDI, in-between angle rangs, etc)

Top Bottom