• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

MJG

Smash Hero

Have a question regarding Toon Link? Well you came to the right place! Use this thread to ask any simple questions you have regarding Toon Link; whether it be new strategies, how to perform advanced techniques, how many frames an attack lasts, anything! And feel free to help out your fellow Toon Link players by answering some of their questions.​

Q: I'm having trouble killing my opponents. What can I do about this?
A: Be Patient! Do NOT spam kill moves, and don't be afraid to keep throwing projectiles and racking up a little more damage. Space well, and gradually work your way up to the kill move.

Q: Brawl + Toon Link!!
A: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240068http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240068

Q: I'm from another character board and we are discussing the Toon Link matchup...
A: Please post it in the Match-up Discussions Directory instead of making a new thread, and we'll go right to your character board for discussing.

Q: Rate my Toon Link!
A: Please use the Video, Critique, and Record Thread.

Q: I think I found a new combo and wanted to make a thread about it...
A: Please post it in the ATs, Tricks and Combos instead of making a new thread, since there is a high probability that it is already known. If it turns out to be something big after being looked into in that thread, a new thread might be created about it for further discussion.

Q: Why is Toon Link ____ on the tier list?
A: Because that is where he has been thought to be ranked by the SBR.

Q: Where are the Toon Link clans?
A: The Toon Link boards do not have any. This is not a place for that. Try the Brawl Online Clan Directory

Q: Where can I learn about frame data?
A: use the Filling in the Sea Chart - A Toon Link Research Thread.

Q: I want to make a tier list about something...
A: Please don't. They're pointless and will not help advance Toon Link as a character.

Q: I made a combo video!
A: Please post it in the Video, Critique, and Record Thread instead of making a new topic.

Q: What are my spacing tools?
A: Zair! Zair zair zair zair! It's relatively lagless upon landing and has a long enough reach when fully extended so that you won't get punished if you space it properly. Spaced Bairs work well. Retreating Nairs are also really good. Don't forgot to arrow cancel after the Nair if the opponent isn't near you.

Q: How do I use my projectiles effectively?
A: Well, arrows are very useful after short a short-hopped Nair, Bair, Fair, bomb pull, and mid-air arrow. Since they shoot quicker and have less lag if you shoot them as you land, shooting an arrow is a good option anytime you land (if your opponent isn't very close to you, otherwise you might get hit). Boomerangs are good for limiting your opponent's aerial movement and getting out of chain grabs (since thy come back to you after thrown). Bombs are great for raking up damage and getting you out of chain grabs if you're holing one while it explodes.

Q: What are my kill moves?
A: Usmash, Utilt, Fsmash, Uair, and Fair are your most reliable kill moves.

Q: What are moves I can use to rack up damage?
A: Bair, Nair, Utilt, and projectiles are good for piling on damage.

Q: Something weird happened with Dair....
A: THAT MOVE IS ********!!! Odds are, it's something that is already known. PLEASE do not make a new thread about something weird that happened when you used Dair. Just post your discovery in this thread and ask if it's new.

Q: What moves am I supposed to use to momentum cancel?
A: Bair is your best choice. Uair works very well, too.

Q: What moves are not very safe to use?
A: Up-B can be very dangerous to use onstage if your opponent sees it coming. It can be DI'd out of, so be sure to use it unexpectedly. Dsmash also isn't very safe. It has a lot of lag, and doesn't kill very well. It's best to avoid this move unless the situation calls for it. Dair is also a move you shouldn't use unless you're pretty sure it'll hit.

Q: Why cant I SHDA?!
A: If you are just starting to use this, don't worry. It takes a lot of practice before you can pull it off consistently. One important thing to remember is to NOT spam the B button, and make sure to time it so you hit it as soon as you start a jump, and as soon as you land. You can also customize your controls to make it easier for you, but it's not necessary.

Q: Something weird happened with the boomerang...
A: Same as Dair. It's probably already known, so please don't start a new thread about it. Post in this thread and ask if it's new.

Q: Should I use Toon Link as a main or secondary?
A: Whichever you want. Don't ask us who you should use. (*COUGH*MAIN*COUGH*)

Q: I keep getting hit when I'm trying to recover. What can I do to prevent this?
A: Your top options are to throw a bomb, throw a boomerang, and/or iBomb near the stage.

Aerials:
Bair = Back aerial
Fair = Forward aerial
Uair = Up aerial
Dair = Down aerial
Nair = Neutral aerial
Zair = "Z" - aerial (pressing Z in the air to let out the hookshot)

Smash Attacks:
Fsmash = Forward smash
Usmash = Up smash
Dsmash = Down smash

Tilts:
Ftilt = Forward tilt
Utilt = Up tilt
Dtilt = Down tilt

Toon Link Advanced Techniques:
ibomb = Dropping a bomb during an air dodge
Z-drop = dropping a bomb/item mid-air with the "Z" button
Quickdraw = (AKA "Arrow Cancel") shooting an arrow upon landing

General Smash bros Terminology:
Spike = A Move that sends the opponent downwards
JC throw = Jump Canceled throw
Auto canceled = Using an aerial
Pivot = Turning around during a dash
AD = Air Dodge
DA = Dash Attack
DJ = Double Jump
Tech = Pressing "L" or "R" as you land on/hit the stage after getting hit.

You were probably hit high in the air and attempted to use dair when your momentum was still going up or whichever way you were hit.
That is all :)

You should merge this with the Useful Links Directory. Also, might I recommend adding "Post Here Before Starting a Thread" to the title?

Nice work.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
I'm gonna do what I always do (Meh, I feel obligated to do it) when a big new thread comes out and correct any mistakes you've made. Thank me later... or now.

First of all it might be a good idea to number the questions for reference when mentioning them. I'm going to refer to them by number anyway.

Q1: Fine. Nothing remotely wrong with it.

Q2: Forgot
A: at the beginning.

Q3: You put "9" instead of "("
Also the bomb thing won't work if you're the lower numbered port, as you know. Add that.

Q4:Assuming this is for newer players (not n00bs though. We both know they don't exist here) you might want to add that F-Smash is only reliable if you hit with it. Not very likely to hit with.

Q5: Zair too. Combos well enough it should be mentioned here.

Q6: Fine, though you might want to add the most common glitch: get hit>double jump>immediate dair.

Q7: Just from my experience dair seems to work just as well as uair, but you're the expert... I guess. =/
Another thing is that "(s)" in the question is horribly inconsistent. Especially with "moves" in your next question.

Q8: >_> "ues"? Lrn2type.
Not to mention you completely forgot dair which is, like, the number one TL no-no. <_<

Q9: Forgot the A: again. >___>

Q10: iBomb? (I know what it is. Just making a point and pestering you with this)

Just as an add on point from that last question (my word choice was probably terrible right there), a glossary might be a good idea. Just the most common terms so inexperienced players can understand smashspeak (I shoud coin that phrase (= ). Some TL specific terms too, of course.

Finally: DID YOU COMPLETELY FORGET THE OLD Q&A THREAD?!?!?!

J/K. That's unlikely anyways. I actually think this is a good idea anyway since none of the new smashers ever use the stickies.

Edit: WTF? ALREADY STICKIED!?

Bravo, Sasuke. Bravo.

eddy49

Smash Rookie
Wow this answers almost all of my questions, I'll keep this in mind when I play at my next tourney! Thanks so much.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
I'm sorry but there's NO WAY you could not know this stuff and actually compete in tournies.

Once again I'm sorry but there's just no chance.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
No need to get all elitist here Moth. :/
Besides, the point of going to a tourney when one is new to the game should be to get better, not win.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Moth- gtfo with that attitude please. This is a thread so that new TLs can ask questions and learn stuff. Treating them bad wont help them.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
No need to get all elitist here Moth. :/
Besides, the point of going to a tourney when one is new to the game should be to get better, not win.
I said I was sorry. Besides I go to tournies and I've memorized that stuff. I still do bad...

Moth- gtfo with that attitude please. This is a thread so that new TLs can ask questions and learn stuff. Treating them bad wont help them.
What I said to Rutger. I'm not trying to shoot down new players I just felt like this was pretty obvious spam.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Well I guess I'll be fair and say that I didn't look at the other threads. He shouldn't have posted the same thing in so many threads.

Still, even though it was spam I still think your response was a little overboard. :ohwell:

Also, can you remove the long quote from your previous post Moth? I know you intend well but all the quote does is needlessly make your post twice as long. What you quoted is only three posts up and both are on the first page. >_>

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Oh, yeah. Sorry I'm used to making corrections in the quote so it was habitual to quote like that.

I guess I did go a little overboard too. I keep forgetting that the internets is srs bizness.

Edit: Fix'd both

If anything, this entire forum is rude for labeling him as a Smash n00b. The interwebz rnt srs nuff bizness imo.

Hyro

Smash Lord
IMO, dsmash is a reliable kill move, but I don't use it as much as I should. But utilt is definitley a reliable kill move. It's only a little weaker than our usmash.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Ohh, forgot Utilt.

dsmash for gimping? =/
Because otherwise it kills at REALLY REALLY high percents only.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
My friend picked up TL and charged a d-smash, and I didn't recognize the animation. I had no idea what move it was.

I usually use it after sidestepping depending on the lag of the opponent's attack

Arcrandom

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5058-0892
I'm a new TL player, I main Jiggs, but TL is my secondary, so honestly how often do you use bow reversal, and I can't seem to pull off a SH double shot, any advice

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You should only arrow cancel when the opponent isn't really close to you. Maybe like, 1/15 of the stage away is good.

As for the SHDA, practice, practice, practice! That's all it takes.

For the SHDA, I recommend you change one of the shoulder buttons to jump like I did. That way, you can jump and bow instantly, instead of having to make your thumb jump from X/Y to B. Normally, I use X to jump, but I learned how to SHDA with R. It's easier on the thumb, since you can just keep it on the B button.

Doing a short hop with L/R isn't easy, especially if you have clicky buttons, but if you practice it a lot, you'll eventually learn how to do it.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
For SHDA don't do what I did which was SH and then mash the B button rapidly, this slightly charges the first arrow and ends in a failed SHDA.

Yea, pretty much just practice and quick fingers. I use the default buttons setup and SH by tapping Y and swiftly tapping B, so it is possible without button config.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Myuru, I use L for jump but really it's just a matter of timing it right. If you want to see some examples of the timing try doing a few short hopped nair>quickdraw (arrow cancel) sequences or bomb pull>quickdraw works too.

Hope that helps, myu!

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Date created: 06-15-2009, 12:23 PM

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Tap down, don't hold it. Once you start FFing you don't stop. Nor do you accelerate by holding down. Make sure you time the tap right as well. If you're moving up you won't FF at all.

Also you could practice by doing SHQD. By getting rid of the first arrow you have time to practice FFQDing.

A~Kid/ToonethLinkage

Wants His Own Custom Title
Tap down, don't hold it. Once you start FFing you don't stop. Nor do you accelerate by holding down. Make sure you time the tap right as well. If you're moving up you won't FF at all.

Also you could practice by doing SHQD. By getting rid of the first arrow you have time to practice FFQDing.
I was thinking, can I practice it in training on 1/4 mode, just to get used to it a little bit, then make it faster a little until I master, but that will take longer, won't it?

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Indeed it will. Plus it may have an adverse side effect on your skill in general. It's best just to practice the move itself until you get it but if you feel like you're not making any progress just try breaking the move down and practicing the part you have trouble with.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Brawl Friend Code (3566-1220-2303)
Wii Friend Code (8470 5631 0313 7590)

Add both and give me yours.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
In the future, try to edit your posts. It makes mods angry...
Obviously you meant to say that NOT editing your posts makes the mods angry.

What you just said insinuates that you are trying to make the mods angry (which editing your post wouldn't do anyways).

Hykan

Smash Rookie
Awesome thread! I was wondering if this is new or not. When you D-air on top of a bob-omb (thus grabbing it and still doing your d-air) then throw it straight up, it acts as though it still has the momentum that D-airing next to it would give it, and it will fly behind you.

Sorry if that's old, but I just found it and thought it was kinda neat. Useless, but neat.

Hykan

Smash Rookie
Well, I hope this doesn't end up being a double post (Internet is acting all funky D: )

Regardless, I just tested it with all items and it only works for bob-ombs. I haven't tried Link's bombs though...but if it doesn't work for ours, why for his, right?

Top Bottom