• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Inquiry Thread (Ask a question, get an answer)

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
I rarely use z for zair because of that weird bug, so I just press R+A really quickly. If you're really using it so close to the ground to the point where that isn't fast enough, why not use an arrow cancel instead?

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Quick question, is there a way some way to do better footstools with toonlink? I tend to find myself being outfootstooled by other character all the time, even if im on top of them i end up being footstooled? (especially by pit) Is there some method or advice to get better footstools because I would love to know. Is there a certain hitbox i should know about or anything? I know its all about timing but anything you guys know would be appreciated ! lol Thanks guys.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
Quick question, is there a way some way to do better footstools with toonlink? I tend to find myself being outfootstooled by other character all the time, even if im on top of them i end up being footstooled? (especially by pit) Is there some method or advice to get better footstools because I would love to know. Is there a certain hitbox i should know about or anything? I know its all about timing but anything you guys know would be appreciated ! lol Thanks guys.
put tap jump on and just hold up when above them after doing an attack so it stops the second jump but still manages to footstool thats how i do it when i use MK

but the best way to learn is to go into training and footstool for aggges till you dont wanna do it any more bowsers easy to footstool and its funny when you do ^^

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I was one of the five finalists at a Play N' Trade tournament. I get match uped against a clan mate of mine, who uses Snake, and end up getting 2 stock. I have lots of trouble with Snakes, especially the ones that play like him. I don't have a video, the match was too long to get the replay onto my SD card, but lemme see if you guys know what type of Snake's I'm talking about: They camp with grenades, and abuse shield grab and tilts. They throw in a mortar slide once in a while, but mainly to edgeguard. He also used Grenade drops to edgeguard in conjunction with NAir and USmash. How do i counter those types of Snakes?

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
Alright. I was playing brawl this weekend and I did something weird with zair.
I was getting hit horizontally slowly off of the platform and I used zair to try to grab the edge. It missed but the zair still came out. I still moved away from the edge, but I DI'd towards the platform and regrabbed, and it worked, even though I was at a further distance away from the platform than before, at the same height.

Edit: Also, the second zair came out REALLY fast, like almost instantaneously after the first.

My question: Does DI affect your tethering? This might be a little lead to controlling our edge grabbing.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Alright. I was playing brawl this weekend and I did something weird with zair.
I was getting hit horizontally slowly off of the platform and I used zair to try to grab the edge. It missed but the zair still came out. I still moved away from the edge, but I DI'd towards the platform and regrabbed, and it worked, even though I was at a further distance away from the platform than before, at the same height.

Edit: Also, the second zair came out REALLY fast, like almost instantaneously after the first.

My question: Does DI affect your tethering? This might be a little lead to controlling our edge grabbing.
What do you mean does it affect it?

Because what you explained sounded normal, unless you worded something weirdly that made it different.
Zair is supposed to save you like that, lolz.

gOld7

Smash Apprentice
I was reading a user created TL Character Guide. One of the things the user plainly made clear was not to spam TL's Usmash. And I don't see the reason why. When I close on with somebody with TL, if the opportunity permits, is to Usmash ( they have to be at a 0-10 damage percentage ) them in the air, they will fly upwards at a small distance then fall back towards me, I continuesly "spam" this until he escapes the Usmash. I like this, because I do it unexpectly, more of a surprise/preumptive strike. Tell me, in this instance, would a spamming Usmash be acceptable?

WAIT!!!

I forgot my original question.

Why should you NOT spam your Usmash?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Because its your best kill move and is punishable if you miss.

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
Why would you spam usmash for something like that? TL has so many follow-ups that are better for that kind of situation... why not start a string of aerials afterward, or just spam utilt instead? Using usmash like that is just counter-productive.

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
What do you mean does it affect it?

Because what you explained sounded normal, unless you worded something weirdly that made it different.
Zair is supposed to save you like that, lolz.
Well technically, the only reason my zair didn't grab the edge would be that I was too far from the edge. The situation was odd in that I was drifting away from the edge when I used my second zair (on accident).

The first zair came out normally, but the second one came out before the first animation even ended.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
That thread is not from the Diddy boards.

If people want to know basics, they go to tactical.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
That thread is not from the Diddy boards.

If people want to know basics, they go to tactical.
ahhh right k thx for putting me straight sasuke tis just where i found it and i thought thats a rlly helpful thread and then my mind went straight to the toon board

Oh yea lill off topic but heres some vids my mate made that you guys might like ^^

1st http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUVeciV6410&feature=channel

2nd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj_v1VSedG8&feature=channel

T3h Albino

Smash Master
bowcanceling *lol nub*
anyway i can't get the timing down. Like ill do it 1 out of 5 times is there anything i should know?

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
bowcanceling *lol nub*
anyway i can't get the timing down. Like ill do it 1 out of 5 times is there anything i should know?
what i did to learn how to bow cancel was i did them after nair after sh nair you have the perfect timing to arrow cancel just sh nair and arrow as soon as poss

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
i can nair to BC
but i still can't do double arrow ;_;
I got it ^_^ thanks for your help man
If you REALLY want an easy time learning, change your up taunt to special. You can sh, DI, first special with the up taunt (special), and second bow cancel with the normal special while placing your thumb back on the joystick.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
If you REALLY want an easy time learning, change your up taunt to special. You can sh, DI, first special with the up taunt (special), and second bow cancel with the normal special while placing your thumb back on the joystick.
Santi would have to disagree with you here.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
How do you perform the wave bounce SHDA. Where you run forward and spring back while firing an arrow. Cant get it!! It looks so useful though

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
How do you perform the wave bounce SHDA. Where you run forward and spring back while firing an arrow. Cant get it!! It looks so useful though
Its all about your momentum i found that if i went in to training mode sh arrow and spamed right and left on the control stick i did the momentum shift arrow so i played and played around with it until i understood the mechanics of the move it just takes time and tbh only you can teach yourself somthing we can only advise on personal experience.

i can nair to BC
but i still can't do double arrow ;_;
I got it ^_^ thanks for your help man
nps dude heres sumin santi told me when i had troubles with it helped alot "SHDA... the trick is getting the first arrow high by shooting it as quick as possible.
Then you can just quickdraw the second arrow.
You will get the timing after a while.
First just focus on that first arrow.

and yes switching up taunt to specials isnt a very good idea

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
use both mix em up abit u se bair for being hit sideways and uair for being hit up cause you dont wanna make two of your best moves stale now

SuSa

Banned via Administration
You people need to learn how to DI.

Also, DI only happens on the last frame of hitstun.

You're talking about momentum canceling, aerial drift, and gaining momentum back.

If hit vertically I'd say use Bair. It's easier to FF with. Although it really doesn't matter. You can use any aerial and FF (even Dair, but thats a horrible option).

If hit horizontally, use bair. - It's faster so you get your ability to change your momentum back quicker.

Only FF if hit vertically.

@Jase

Moves don't get stale unless you HIT something with them.... so why the hell would you mix it up? Use Bair, its shorter.

Top Bottom