• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips vs MetaKnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I know people go way overboard, I think it's ridiculous that MK should be banned, there's plenty of characters I would rather fight. He's just like Fox or Sheik in melee, just really good/well-rounded overall. (Sheik vs spacies is 45/55 and sheik vs ICs is around even too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC8HGKkXEx4

this was one of the only times I ever did that match in my life but I seemed to do just fine, even if you don't count the SDs and on ICs best stage. If ICs grab you you get wobbled anyway, and fast fallers (especailly falcon) are dead regardless. Sheik does fine vs ICs, I think she has the advantage 60/40. So yes, I would say MK is the same as Sheik
Does MK have any matchups where he is at a slight disadvantage, like sheik vs spacies in melee?
(i hardly play brawl so i dont know which is why im asking)

And if somebody here plays SF2 competitively (i dont, btw), id like to hear if you think Akuma is as broken as MK or not.

BTW, have you ever played wobbles or chu with sheik in melee?

Also this is a great thread, i like your "there are solutions to things that seem unbeatable and overpowered, if you just play smart and do the right thing" mentality m2k. You can see it in your posts and your playing style.

SharinganKnight

Smash Rookie
This sounds good, though no one around me plays meta, and i dunno if lag problems online would effect this, guess I gotta try to convince a friend to pick up meta =P. Also Haggar, your sig is win =).

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
akuma in sf4 is so broken he is unbeatable. in brawl u can beat him with a super smart snake or falco. altho once metas learn to counter everyoens only one counter then he will be as good as akuma is

wangston

Smash Lord
Thanks for the tips, they will help out. But this still won't make him any less of a ****, this will just enable me to understand what the heck this **** is up to.

jehonaker

Smash Cadet
A question to Mew2King:
In your opinion, who draws neutral against Meta Knight? I'm pretty sure Yoshi does, but there are some others I'm unsure of.

This was an excellent essay. Thanks for writing it, Mew2King...it'll help out against the Meta Knights I fight, methinks.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i have to say these tips were really good,

untill the 3rd time i tried to do anything, and than they learned the counter tactic, and immediately countered it

BentoBox

Smash Master
Hence why you have to be smarter than your opponents to actually stand a chance at beating them. You can't seriously expect spoon feeding to do that much for you.

This thread needs to be cleaned.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
i have to say these tips were really good,

untill the 3rd time i tried to do anything, and than they learned the counter tactic, and immediately countered it
Hence why you have to be smarter than your opponents to actually stand a chance at beating them. You can't seriously expect spoon feeding to do that much for you.

This thread needs to be cleaned.
These two posts..mmhmm.

shounenkel

Smash Journeyman
M2K nice tips i think they will help me with fighting MK your too good ^^ BUt i need some tip with sheik in melee plzz on how to play her right i guess im not play her right >_<

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
I scanned the main topic with ctrl+f and didn't find anything related to this.

When using pit against MK, Pit usually get ***** if you don't know what to do. Most Mk's play agressive, attacking with special moves every chance they get. Using pit can punish their agressive move style.

When knocking a metaknight offstage, some Tornado back, I've played M2k, Inui, and atomsk, and they Drill Rush back. The most common occurance is Shuttle Loop.

Using Pit's Mirror shield in it's beginning Frains when the shield first activates and you hear the clinging sound. The shield will Shine and if anything hits it, it will reverse their momentum like Mario's Cape. Doing this against Drill Rush leaves MK helplessly gimped falling towards their death.

Against Tornado its a bit harder and usually people aren't expecting it and wind up dieing.

Lastly against Shuttle Loop it works twice, when they are going up and when they loop around for a glide attack. It's most effective on their glide attack since they fall offstage dieing. It's possible to end the shuttle loop at it's peak when they realized they have been reversed.

Another thing a pit can do, that I do rarely is another form of edgeguarding. If it ever occurs you edgehog the shuttle loop and they attempt to make it under the stage. I've dropped down and hit them with an arrow. Forcing them to restart their Shuttle loop under the stage. Since gliding works like you have to charge it by going down, than you can go up, the Mk has no Upward Momentum they can obtain and fall to their death.

Well this is for Pit help against Mk.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I think it's just the brawl generation dont have as much patience as the melee generation did.Sheik did dominate the metagame at the beginning if I remember correctly.But there was never a call for a ban.People just got over her initial prowess and got sick with Fox,Falco and Marth,awell as finding way around her very simple but effective tactics.

I mean when you think about it,all of sheiks tilts aswell as d throw combo into a nair or f air really.Not to mention chaingrab on certain characters.

i think banning metaknight is a stupidly harsh manuever.If you learn to beat metaknight you be a better player at the end of the day,because you'll find other characters easier in comparision.Just dont play stupid and use what you KNOW works(not in competitions obviously)

I do hate playing Metaknight.....but boy does it feel good when you take him down.

Kinda like taking down a really good Fox or Falco in melee with Captain Falcon.

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
metaknight isn't that bad, stop b!tching learn the match, here's what you do...you play with him and see how he's able to get punished from the lag of certain moves if you just play smart, yeah i know you can get gimped fast but at the same time you can kill him at like 100% solid cuz he's light play smart and try to beat him by percentage not by gimps.

M.K

Level 55
metaknight isn't that bad, stop b!tching learn the match, here's what you do...you play with him and see how he's able to get punished from the lag of certain moves if you just play smart, yeah i know you can get gimped fast but at the same time you can kill him at like 100% solid cuz he's light play smart and try to beat him by percentage not by gimps.
Way. To. Fail.

STOP USING THIS ARGUMENT. It doesn't work. This is a terrible, terrible, terrible, argument.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Way. To. Fail.

STOP USING THIS ARGUMENT. It doesn't work. This is a terrible, terrible, terrible, argument.
He's right though. In order to win against Meta Knight, you have the pray on his light weight and kill him, rather than gimp him. You need to punish the lag on specific moves, particularly through shields. His attacks all have such low shield stun that hitting him out of attacks is very easy, depending upon the attack. DI properly so he doesn't gimp you. If you follow the basics required to combat Meta Knight, it's much easier to win.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Here is why the argument fails... Of course you can learn the matchup but a MK player is just as capable of learning how you play. MK also in all likelyhood has more options than most characters in many situations due to high speed, high priority, and low lag. You can punish some moves but overall you will have way fewer opportunities to punish MK than any other character. MK's inability to get gimped is another fairly large advantage. (Especially if you try to play him with a light character). The point is that MK, while not unbeatable, will have a significant advantage over almost every character, and a moderate advantage over others. The only way to beat MK is to be the better player... But if you are on equal footing to your opponent in terms of skill you'll have a tough time.

Here is the tl:dr version. Skilled players don't have a problem with crappy MKs. The question is how to take a good MK out which is far more complicated.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
You don't think that's a little bold of you to state "you only lose to good MK's" when you haven't even been out of your area? Inui is a good player? Nah, no he's not. Why do you think so.. because he beats you with MK? Or because he beats Atomsk with MK? That doesn't make him a good player. He's a bad player using a broken character. And - further note, I am not amazing, I lose to bad MK's (Plank is a bad MK imo). When considering how BROKEN MK -ACTUALLY- is, you should NOT use the term 'good' as loosely as you are. Inui is not a good player, his performance with Marth/Snake should show you that much. I'm allowed to have an opinion, and in my opinion most Metaknights aren't actually good... they're just Metaknights.
LOL wow you can be really dumb sometimes.

From the sound of your post, only M2K and Azen are good and everyone else is bad.

http://allisbrawl.com/medals.aspx?id=4424

Most are PRE-Meta Knight and I won TerraBite with Marth and went 99% Marth at FAST and took 5th.

Anther

Smash Champion
Personally until I see someone that I feel isn't near me do way better against me with meta as opposed to any of their other characters that I consider decent characters, I'm not convinced the lil guy is broken. He's kinda really good, but he doesn't break characters the way dedede and ics have the potential to... XD. He is tampering with the tournament scene with all the fuss he's creating though.

Metaknight makes you have to be good at brawl in order to fight against him, and you also have to know how to punish his attacks... which M2k kinda describes there. I'm sure he knows some very simple mix-ups that counter those counters but the counters he's listed are very simple once you've practiced them and kind of own baby metas if you think out your approach and counter tactics.
He imo has very prominent windows in which you can stage your punishments once you get used to it. I could be completely wrong though and just haven't faced the right metaknights. <3.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I agree Anther.

To go off topic for a sec... Where the hell are all the mini Anthers hiding in tournaments? Pikachu is ******** good.

Anyway, yeah, Meta Knight, counters, tournaments, got it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Personally until I see someone that I feel isn't near me do way better against me with meta as opposed to any of their other characters that I consider decent characters, I'm not convinced the lil guy is broken. He's kinda really good, but he doesn't break characters the way dedede and ics have the potential to... XD. He is tampering with the tournament scene with all the fuss he's creating though.

Metaknight makes you have to be good at brawl in order to fight against him, and you also have to know how to punish his attacks... which M2k kinda describes there. I'm sure he knows some very simple mix-ups that counter those counters but the counters he's listed are very simple once you've practiced them and kind of own baby metas if you think out your approach and counter tactics.
He imo has very prominent windows in which you can stage your punishments once you get used to it. I could be completely wrong though and just haven't faced the right metaknights. <3.
I don't have much authority but in theory, if MK knows the matchup as well as you do, he should always win. He should be able to counter your counter tactics, knowing that they will come. I suspect the only reason MK doesn't always dominate is EVERYONE knows their MK matchup, but no MK can know EVERY matchup (except for the best, of course).

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
Sethlon is an amazing Falco, obv.

Watch his matches against this MK called DMK, who I've had to play myself. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8xzjv3uzvU&feature=related

Three moves is all it takes. Obv the good people can still beat him but not easily, and can lose to him as well. If there was no MK, I'd never see DMK beat anyone good on such a consistent basis. But since MK does exist, he does. Seriously..."it's not fair".

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I don't have much authority but in theory, if MK knows the matchup as well as you do, he should always win. He should be able to counter your counter tactics, knowing that they will come. I suspect the only reason MK doesn't always dominate is EVERYONE knows their MK matchup, but no MK can know EVERY matchup (except for the best, of course).
how would you know that? the top metaknights are saying that, at a high level of play, metaknight does have neutrals (m2k lists snake in this thread). so why should i believe some random over the people who actually know the character?

Sethlon is an amazing Falco, obv.

Watch his matches against this MK called DMK, who I've had to play myself. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8xzjv3uzvU&feature=related

Three moves is all it takes. Obv the good people can still beat him but not easily, and can lose to him as well. If there was no MK, I'd never see DMK beat anyone good on such a consistent basis. But since MK does exist, he does. Seriously..."it's not fair".
congratulations, you found a video of a bad matchup

if i can get a recorder i can show you a video of a scrubby dedede 2 stocking my dk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom