• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Oracle

Smash Master
I need to take a break from smash as apparently there are rumors going around about me that are very negative.
have you heard about ripple i hear he always wears that hat even when he's naked

also lol bowser has good matchups. he's a lot better than the booty tier ganon roy and ivy and even they have good matchups. its just that bc bowser is a grappler he's never going to just destroy a character, when he wins its only by a little bit (which is fine and actually pretty ideal)

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
About dsmash. Its good for something, so I don't mind that much. Its good for tech chasing spacies. I never really used it for hydroplane stuff where they could be airborne.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
About dsmash. Its good for something, so I don't mind that much. Its good for tech chasing spacies. I never really used it for hydroplane stuff where they could be airborne.
It's not even because hydroplanes, it's because of how they changed it in 3.6. It's a frame 16 move that was changed in kbg to match the gtfo style smashes of Pikachu and Rob (who have frame 5 or 6 dsmashes) at higher percents meaning it lost the thing about it that was great, comboing at higher percents

Inb4 umbreon comes screeching about how smashes shouldnt combo

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I would accept a frame 6-7 move with the Dsmash he has now

I would accept a frame 16 move with higher BKB and much lower KBG.

What he has now is so weird.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
It's not even because hydroplanes, it's because of how they changed it in 3.6. It's a frame 16 move that was changed in kbg to match the gtfo style smashes of Pikachu and Rob (who have frame 5 or 6 dsmashes) at higher percents meaning it lost the thing about it that was great, comboing at higher percents

Inb4 umbreon comes screeching about how smashes shouldnt combo
Umbreon's argument was that smashes shouldn't combo at higher percents. Though sheik forward smash, zss down smash , back part of zss forward smash, charizard down smash, and throwing peach down smash in there (you know why) were already going against that trend. Don't know if he still feels that way, or would agree that squirtle's down smash should be lowered to 7-11 frames considering it is better than the gtfo me down smashes at lower percents in terms of reward for hitting it.

eideeiit

Smash Ace
I don't think Squirtle needs a gtfo move since he's such a slippery guy to catch. Tech rolls a bit better and combo dsmash I like more.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Umbreon's argument was that smashes shouldn't combo at higher percents. Though sheik forward smash, zss down smash , back part of zss forward smash, charizard down smash, and throwing peach down smash in there (you know why) were already going against that trend. Don't know if he still feels that way, or would agree that squirtle's down smash should be lowered to 7-11 frames considering it is better than the gtfo me down smashes at lower percents in terms of reward for hitting it.
It shouldnt be compared to gtfo smashes at all because it's not a gtfo move. It's always been the type of move you really need to have a read for or get lucky to connect with, and at 16 frames there's not really a reason for it to not combo at later percents. I would definantly understand if it was as fast as those gtfo smashes AND comboed but it doesnt.

Then again Rob's dsmash comboes and gtfos while being frame 5 so who knows

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Yeah the only gtfo move he needs is a functional tech roll.

I personally like the slower Dsmash because if you hydroplane it then you can start it from a safer distance and have the hitboxes come out near the opponent instead of too soon.

Also it can fiddle with spot dodges or stationary techs a bit.

didds

Smash Lord
Dsmash definitely isn't for combos or gtfo option, it's more of a neutral tool at this point. One of his few lingering hit box moves that can catch opponents and stuff their flow, while putting the pace control back in squirtle's favor.

Frame data wise it's not very good but it works just because of who it's attached to. Unfortunately strong options are always a slippery slope when paired with mobility

Parz

Smash Rookie
also lol bowser has good matchups. he's a lot better than the booty tier ganon roy and ivy and even they have good matchups.
Yo Oracle Oracle ! Could you give me some details as to why you think Roy, Ivy & Ganon are "booty tier"?
You're actually one of my favourite player and IMO one of the most knowledgeable persons about PM, and that's why I'd like to hear your thoughts.
I'm currently maining Roy, my bro mains Ivy and Ganon is probably the most played/mained character in my region (Montreal).

--> I made 5$ betting that you would finish before Junebug at Paragon :)

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Dsmash definitely isn't for combos or gtfo option, it's more of a neutral tool at this point. One of his few lingering hit box moves that can catch opponents and stuff their flow, while putting the pace control back in squirtle's favor.

Frame data wise it's not very good but it works just because of who it's attached to. Unfortunately strong options are always a slippery slope when paired with mobility
I wouldn't think of it as a great neutral option. Hydroplaned it's very telegraphed and the hitboxes take a while to come out, so an opponent can see it coming from miles away and it's an easy punish.

For me one of its best uses is Wavedash>Dsmash as a tech chase, I feel like it has some really good followups.

If you could RHDS then it would be a different story though, that would be insane.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I hope the discussion of legitimate counterplay to Ike's fly by nair (and thus why it doesn't help Ike's neutral to be better than Marth/Roys) isn't seriously being dismissed as "going too deep."

Within the context of how I brought up the fly-by N-Air thing (before everyone went IN COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS WITH IT)
Nobody went in completely different directions. This is what you said

His fly-by N-Air being essentially an unpunishable wide-spread converting tool
Bolded is flatout wrong and several people explained why. Having an unpunishable tool is a huge deal in any fighting game so I hope you understand why several of us were so quick jump on it. The wide-spread converting tool is no doubt true, and Ike having strong conversions was discussed as an advantage vs Marth/Roy. If it was unpunishable, then I could agree on its effectiveness as a neutral breaking tool. However Marth and Roy have neutral breaking tools via their dtilts (Roy has ftilt as well, Marth even has tipper fsmash as a hard read). Does Ike have any tools that break neutral as well as Marth/Roy dtilts?

Samus's frame data is pretty good. Frame data overall in this game is quick enough that players can't play 100% on reaction so we don't have to take frame data too literally (TAS), like the example of Jiggs resting Samus every time Samus does something. Usually when the argument "because frame data," is made, it's a summary of traits that make moves competitive in all fighting games - low start up, low end lag, high priority, high range, high damage (whether it's the individual moves that are powerful or the frame data + game mechanics that allow the moves to be chained for high damage). Samus has a good chunk of this in her toolkit and her ground movement isn't slow so you can definitely argue she's a strong character based on that.

there are elements and qualities to a character's neutral-game beyond how safe and certain a move is to hit without getting hit by moves in return. The thing you WANT to hit them with (the thing they DON'T want to get hit by) takes a bigger toll on a match-up than anyone seems to be giving credit, and I think that's what is being missed here.
This confused me a **** ton at first because I thought you were going to talk about the elements and qualities of a characters neutral beyond how safe a move is to hit without retribution. Still confused. The thing you want to hit them with takes a bigger toll on the MU than is credited, why? Because of how hard you can convert off it when it does hit?

A thought-experiment worth looking at might be...
If you're making the wrong choices and I'm making all the right ones, I'll win with a bad character statistically.
So, with less 'sound' statistics on a character, do the other qualities that take place in GAME-PLAY allow of someone to sway a match in a way that they make better decisions, or make the opponent make worse decisions?
This thought experiment I think is generally done by anyone maining a low tier (went thru this myself being a Ganon main in 3.02), or anyone trying to tough out bad MU. When speculating tiers, I find these kinds of arguments to be in the getting too deep territory.

I like the rest of what you said, esp this:
Given this is possible, doesn't it make sense that this is very possible the other way? A simply tweak or new quality brought by a new tool, giving more strength/significance to WHAT'S ALREADY THERE despite what's already there being exactly the same?
Sums up why I enjoy the melee characters more in this game than melee.

Last edited:

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
It shouldnt be compared to gtfo smashes at all because it's not a gtfo move. It's always been the type of move you really need to have a read for or get lucky to connect with, and at 16 frames there's not really a reason for it to not combo at later percents. I would definantly understand if it was as fast as those gtfo smashes AND comboed but it doesnt.

Then again Rob's dsmash comboes and gtfos while being frame 5 so who knows
I am not overly invested in changes to squirtle. I was just making a correction since you said "In before Umbreon says smashes shouldn't combo." No one said that, pretty much every character in the game has at least one smash attack that combos at some percent, even to latish percents. The reason why it is compared to a gtfo is because of its animation, which is why I personally think if it is going to have essentially the same properties of a gtfo move, it should be sped up to that 7-11f window for testing since everyone agrees 16 frames is too long for the move in its current form. Oh and add lucario up smash to that list of smashes that combo at late percent since he can jump out of it.

didds

Smash Lord
I wouldn't think of it as a great neutral option. Hydroplaned it's very telegraphed and the hitboxes take a while to come out, so an opponent can see it coming from miles away and it's an easy punish.

For me one of its best uses is Wavedash>Dsmash as a tech chase, I feel like it has some really good followups.

If you could RHDS then it would be a different story though, that would be insane.
I'm not even necessarily thinking just hydro stuff with dsmash, and it's a committal option, but it can still be functional in neutral when used properly and with some reading.

Like yea you have to commit to covering a certain space, but it also has the advantage of having less room for error when you can anticipate your opponent.

Let's say you know fox is approaching with a shffl nair. Yea wd back to dtilt or retreat to pivot grab is less committal when it comes to punishing, but it also requires more precision in general. Dsmash gives squirt an easier window to time and better hitboxes to cover the landing. And it is pretty slow which is why it isn't the best gtfo move, but it's fast enough to serve its purpose. If your opponent is dd camping, unless they expect squirtle to completely overshoot a wd into dsmash, they will get caught during the retreat.

It's important to note that as a neutral tool it's utility is super mu dependent too. I'm going to avoid it against aerial characters because it just doesn't cover space that is necessary to my opponents neutral. A jiggly puff doesn't care about the ground that much, but a heavily grounded character can be threatened since dsmash covers space that is important to how they play the game. A character like sheik can be forced to respect the space that squirtle can suddenly invade.

But yea, it's just a committal option that can't be thrown randomly. tech chasing is by far it's greatest and most universal use at this point.

Smash is back and forth, any move can either be the best or worst option depending on the situation and you have two different brains trying to out adapt each other and it makes for some messy stuff sometimes, game is nutty

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I'm not even necessarily thinking just hydro stuff with dsmash, and it's a committal option, but it can still be functional in neutral when used properly and with some reading.

Like yea you have to commit to covering a certain space, but it also has the advantage of having less room for error when you can anticipate your opponent.

Let's say you know fox is approaching with a shffl nair. Yea wd back to dtilt or retreat to pivot grab is less committal when it comes to punishing, but it also requires more precision in general. Dsmash gives squirt an easier window to time and better hitboxes to cover the landing. And it is pretty slow which is why it isn't the best gtfo move, but it's fast enough to serve its purpose. If your opponent is dd camping, unless they expect squirtle to completely overshoot a wd into dsmash, they will get caught during the retreat.

It's important to note that as a neutral tool it's utility is super mu dependent too. I'm going to avoid it against aerial characters because it just doesn't cover space that is necessary to my opponents neutral. A jiggly puff doesn't care about the ground that much, but a heavily grounded character can be threatened since dsmash covers space that is important to how they play the game. A character like sheik can be forced to respect the space that squirtle can suddenly invade.

But yea, it's just a committal option that can't be thrown randomly. tech chasing is by far it's greatest and most universal use at this point.

Smash is back and forth, any move can either be the best or worst option depending on the situation and you have two different brains trying to out adapt each other and it makes for some messy stuff sometimes, game is nutty
Those are some really solid points. Definitely true that its leniency (and actually decent disjoint) mean that people get caught in it more than they'd like to.

I do wish it had a smaller KB curve though.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I am not overly invested in changes to squirtle. I was just making a correction since you said "In before Umbreon says smashes shouldn't combo." No one said that, pretty much every character in the game has at least one smash attack that combos at some percent, even to latish percents. The reason why it is compared to a gtfo is because of its animation, which is why I personally think if it is going to have essentially the same properties of a gtfo move, it should be sped up to that 7-11f window for testing since everyone agrees 16 frames is too long for the move in its current form. Oh and add lucario up smash to that list of smashes that combo at late percent since he can jump out of it.
Umbreon has said that smashes shouldnt combo lol, we had this discussion when 3.6 full first released.

Having it become a gtfo move would be super lame, as it was one of the more unique smashes even if it was semi slow. Plus it would probably bring up issues with hydroplaning if it were made much faster.

Go play RoA, Orcane can RH all his smashes and has a ton of other squirtle stuff

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
As much as I want to believe this, I don't think PM is there yet.
The meta-game never reflects the game in its current form, but we can at least TRY to understand where it's going.
In other words, using what it's giving us to reflect on, to see beyond the data it presents. We already do this, everyone, we're speculating. I have only ever suggested in using the data in more beneficial ways when it comes to understanding the goodness of characters in the game, because we ALL KNOW the meta-game isn't the end-meta. Why not think that way? Or learn what it means to think a little better in terms of that way?
Tier list thread related junk, at its most basic.

I'll always advocate giving attention to the mental side of things, but yes, you know it, the game is young, the meta-game younger, the understanding of the game even younger.

Nausicaa Nausicaa so what you're trying to say is that Ike is better at forcing the opponent to make bad decisions than Marth and Roy? Because that's ultimately why tools like dashdancing and projectiles are good, right--they force your opponent to make bad decisions? What does Ike have in this field that Marth and Roy don't? The obvious (and therefore probably incomplete) answer is Quickdraw, but is that really enough? What am I missing here that would make you say Ike is the best FE character (in neutral or generally)?
This is actually perfectly written for something I wrote elsewhere, so I'm just going to copy-paste it.

I'm pretty sure nobody thinks when they read. Comprehension has always been a bane in discussion in the tier list thread, but that was incredible. Mind = splosion

G&W won a tournament. Neutral is the primary part of Smash. G&W must have won neutral too much. DD and projectiles are the key parts of neutral. G&W must need DD and projectile nerfs.

^ Is everyone thinking this or something? It's perfectly in-line with the logic and reasons that people apply to other discussions.
If it's NOT what everyone is thinking, then there's another obvious clue that nobody in the forum community (or PM in general) know why they think the things they do, or why things happen the way they do and why they can't understand them before they happen.
Applying some logic to some things and other logic to other things makes a mess, no wonder there's no stable understanding of the 'tiers' in this game. It has nothing to do with lack of experience or observable top-end matches. It has to do with a lack of understanding how to observe experience. Even with top-end matches to observe, nobody would have any idea WHY those observations would clear things up for them. Just that, seeing top-end matches clears things up... because durrr
The community is adorable. Scrubs, love you all.
That kind of sums it up, I'm pretty sure you already kind of 'get' what I'm trying to say there.
BUT
Before you go into specifics and nuances in the writing or whatever, there is only 1 single thing that is of relevance at all.

the remainder is left as an exercise to the reader
This is the only thing of importance in any topic you ever hear, read about, see, or contemplate.
Math profs = 1, guides on how to do things = 0
So the story always goes. lol

Nausicaa posted from your account somehow?
...and you KNOW all of this already.
Nobody needs not say a thing, but others saying things can be context for you to look at ^that^ a little closer.

I hope the discussion of legitimate counterplay to Ike's fly by nair (and thus why it doesn't help Ike's neutral to be better than Marth/Roys) isn't seriously being dismissed as "going too deep."

Nobody went in completely different directions. This is what you said
"His fly-by N-Air being essentially an unpunishable wide-spread converting tool"
To be blunt, first...
That's EXACTLY why everything went sideways.
2 things.
1) Some people addressed how fly-by N-Air isn't like CF's. Some addressed how it's punishable. Some addressed conversion tools. Some address options in neutral in general.

^ Every single one of these was a different direction, and NOT the point within the context of the point I was making. Said the words, many words, many things pointed out, the direction I was leaning personally was very far from where everyone else went with it.
BUT
100% of everyone's points stand (stand true, in many ways or all, you could say), including yours and mine, NONE of any of it was contradictory. No matter how you want to explain that it's different than CF's N-Air, punishable (your point), converts only certain ways, or whatever else.

The point I was making is actually explained a bit more in this post to the comments I made to others (G&W comments in spoilers were directly about this 'Ike' thing) so that might make more sense than anything.

Otherwise...
Samus has a good chunk of this in her toolkit and her ground movement isn't slow so you can definitely argue she's a strong character based on that.
Frame-data by this logic says she should NEVER get a Grab off anything but hard-tech-chases.

You're applying some reasoning to some of these things, and disregarding it regarding other things. Applying different reasoning for other things, and disregarding it for these things.

Sums up why I enjoy the melee characters more in this game than melee.
More context to learn, grow, and enjoy from.
PM provides in it droves, even for the raw melee-directs. Of course we like them more. :D

Tilts shouldn't be kill moves.
Ganon plz
Jabs shouldn't be kill moves.
Ganon plz
Oh wait maybe that's WHY he's so bad!
He might be on to something at last!

didds has your answer. Bolded some parts, but the whole thing is the answer you're looking for if you want to know what I'm talking about. Spralwers Spralwers Life Life etc
You can keep talking about what you're talking about and directing the conversation at me, you're making useful points etc, but you're standing in NY saying AZ is west and I'm standing in Africa saying AZ is across the ocean.
Some people are saying Marth and Roy have better neutrals than Ike for sure, I'm saying neutral in the way people are looking at it...
(in this recent conversation at least... other conversations have talked about neutral in other ways that make more sense but swords and spacies will always come back and so here we are)
... has no place in a platform bouncing fighting party game called don't get hit by the things you don't want to get hit by, and hit people with the things you want to hit them with.

But didds was talking about the wrong character.
Some little turtle thing that doesn't get hit.
I wonder what happens if a character that's not built around avoiding hits... does everything in their power to not get hit...
Bet some kind of openings happen just MAGICALLY.
Must be like... Sheik or Puff or something in the air. I can smell it. Falco and Lucario are getting beat by ROLLS, of all the blasphemy someone get the Dash-Dancing improving tool and shove it into the next PM patch!

Edit: Didn't bold the things I meant to bold in didds boldiaceness
Game is nutty
NUTTY

And spelling and words omg hard game

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
Nausicaa Nausicaa I say this in the most flattering way possible: if you got as good at the game called "make your ideas known to other human beings as clearly as possible, while also attempting to understand their ideas" as you were at the game called "don't get hit by the things you don't want to get hit by, and hit people with the things you want to hit them with" we would all join your cult and you would be unstoppable.

I can't tell if the stuff you said between quoting me and quoting Spralwers was entirely directed at me, or was using me as an example for others; whether the part you put in the spoiler box is meant as a rebuttal for what I said, or whether it was a complaint directed at the Tier List Spec community at large (let's face it, this thread totally qualifies as a community); what "Sheik or Puff or something" or "Falco and Lucario are getting beat by ROLLS" have to do with anything (well, the latter one was clearly sarcastic, but why the statement is there at all I don't know); or how the bolded part suggests "Ike is better than Marth" (the premise that started this conversation) rather than "it is ambiguous whether Ike or Marth is better" when you're emphasizing the parts about how everything is situational and matchup-dependent. (Honestly, I don't know as much about Roy to compare him to Ike.)

I enjoy answering your riddles because you pose good ones that get me thinking about the game. I think others would agree with me there. But if we say the premise of the riddle is wrong, or we get half-answers and ask what's missing, that's also us thinking about the game, and trying to learn more. You seem to understand that much.

But that's also us getting stuck in our thought process; we can't get from NY to Africa, to use your own metaphor, so either we're gonna give up on figuring you out and going to Africa, or we're gonna call you wrong and tell you to move to NY, or we're gonna try to ask questions so we can find a way to get to Africa, or maybe we'll even propose to meet in in the middle for a refreshing swim. By upping your ability to communicate your own ideas, we are more likely to try harder to get to Africa, or less likely to tell you to come to NY, or you'll have to do less swimming than we will.

This is a really odd metaphor.

tl;dr "Huh?"

I also have a riddle of my own, which pertains to Pit. I don't think it really belongs in this post, though. Maybe once this Ike business is sorted out.

Speaking of Ike, now that I've gotten my "communication is important" rant out of the way, I'd like to take another crack at the Ike problem.

Premise: Ike is the best FE character in neutral and in general. This time, I'm going to ignore my reservations with the premise and roll with it (I'm not going to convince Nausicaa he's wrong unless I know WHY Nausicaa thinks what he does on the subject anyway). Why might Ike be better than Marth/Roy, despite having slower movement and attacks? He could get stronger rewards when he does win neutral, but that wouldn't be having a better neutral game like the premise says. So it stands to reason that there is some tool he has which Marth and Roy don't. Obviously, the biggest difference is Quickdraw. We know about using Quickdraw to extend punishes, but that's not what we're here for. So what happens when Ike presses the Quickdraw button in neutral?

There's enough startup on Quickdraw that the opponent knows Quickdraw is happening by the time Ike actually does anything relevant out of it. The opponent will then try to defeat Ike's actions out of Quickdraw.

Now, in certain matchups (Falco comes to mind), the opponent can put out a quick projectile which will prevent Ike from doing anything to actually hurt them; Ike has to find other things to do that discourage them from throwing out projectiles before he can take advantage of Quickdraw in neutral against those characters. (Is this actually feasible? Can Ike body someone for throwing out projectiles so hard that they're too scared to do it even in the situation where it's a trump card?) Alternatively, Ike has to be willing to tank that projectile and plan on winning whatever interaction comes immediately afterward.

In situations where that's not a threat, the opponent has to guess. If they make to approach Ike, Ike might already be approaching them, or might go flying past them to reset the situation. If they throw out a hitbox, Ike might simply wait and punish the endlag. If they shield, Ike grabs. If they spotdodge, Ike might time his strike differently. Or, importantly, Ike might just wavedash down and effectively cancel the game; now he has information about what the opponent will do when they see him charge Quickdraw. (This option loses to the opponent walking forward; now they've taken space from Ike and he doesn't have room to Quickdraw again. This option in turn loses to basically anything else Ike could do out of QD provided he spaces correctly.)

What all those actions have in common is that whatever Ike does will happen too fast for the opponent to differentiate from his other options and react accordingly. In other words, Ike has a tool with which, from a distance where Marth and Roy can't threaten the opponent, he can sometimes force his opponent to play a mixup game without necessarily revealing his own cards. That's what Ike has over Marth and Roy.

How's that?

frankxthexbunny

Smash Apprentice
Nausicaa Nausicaa I say this in the most flattering way possible: if you got as good at the game called "make your ideas known to other human beings as clearly as possible, while also attempting to understand their ideas" as you were at the game called "don't get hit by the things you don't want to get hit by, and hit people with the things you want to hit them with" we would all join your cult and you would be unstoppable.

I can't tell if the stuff you said between quoting me and quoting Spralwers was entirely directed at me, or was using me as an example for others; whether the part you put in the spoiler box is meant as a rebuttal for what I said, or whether it was a complaint directed at the Tier List Spec community at large (let's face it, this thread totally qualifies as a community); what "Sheik or Puff or something" or "Falco and Lucario are getting beat by ROLLS" have to do with anything (well, the latter one was clearly sarcastic, but why the statement is there at all I don't know); or how the bolded part suggests "Ike is better than Marth" (the premise that started this conversation) rather than "it is ambiguous whether Ike or Marth is better" when you're emphasizing the parts about how everything is situational and matchup-dependent. (Honestly, I don't know as much about Roy to compare him to Ike.)

I enjoy answering your riddles because you pose good ones that get me thinking about the game. I think others would agree with me there. But if we say the premise of the riddle is wrong, or we get half-answers and ask what's missing, that's also us thinking about the game, and trying to learn more. You seem to understand that much.

But that's also us getting stuck in our thought process; we can't get from NY to Africa, to use your own metaphor, so either we're gonna give up on figuring you out and going to Africa, or we're gonna call you wrong and tell you to move to NY, or we're gonna try to ask questions so we can find a way to get to Africa, or maybe we'll even propose to meet in in the middle for a refreshing swim. By upping your ability to communicate your own ideas, we are more likely to try harder to get to Africa, or less likely to tell you to come to NY, or you'll have to do less swimming than we will.

This is a really odd metaphor.

tl;dr "Huh?"

I also have a riddle of my own, which pertains to Pit. I don't think it really belongs in this post, though. Maybe once this Ike business is sorted out.

Speaking of Ike, now that I've gotten my "communication is important" rant out of the way, I'd like to take another crack at the Ike problem.

Premise: Ike is the best FE character in neutral and in general. This time, I'm going to ignore my reservations with the premise and roll with it (I'm not going to convince Nausicaa he's wrong unless I know WHY Nausicaa thinks what he does on the subject anyway). Why might Ike be better than Marth/Roy, despite having slower movement and attacks? He could get stronger rewards when he does win neutral, but that wouldn't be having a better neutral game like the premise says. So it stands to reason that there is some tool he has which Marth and Roy don't. Obviously, the biggest difference is Quickdraw. We know about using Quickdraw to extend punishes, but that's not what we're here for. So what happens when Ike presses the Quickdraw button in neutral?

There's enough startup on Quickdraw that the opponent knows Quickdraw is happening by the time Ike actually does anything relevant out of it. The opponent will then try to defeat Ike's actions out of Quickdraw.

Now, in certain matchups (Falco comes to mind), the opponent can put out a quick projectile which will prevent Ike from doing anything to actually hurt them; Ike has to find other things to do that discourage them from throwing out projectiles before he can take advantage of Quickdraw in neutral against those characters. (Is this actually feasible? Can Ike body someone for throwing out projectiles so hard that they're too scared to do it even in the situation where it's a trump card?) Alternatively, Ike has to be willing to tank that projectile and plan on winning whatever interaction comes immediately afterward.

In situations where that's not a threat, the opponent has to guess. If they make to approach Ike, Ike might already be approaching them, or might go flying past them to reset the situation. If they throw out a hitbox, Ike might simply wait and punish the endlag. If they shield, Ike grabs. If they spotdodge, Ike might time his strike differently. Or, importantly, Ike might just wavedash down and effectively cancel the game; now he has information about what the opponent will do when they see him charge Quickdraw. (This option loses to the opponent walking forward; now they've taken space from Ike and he doesn't have room to Quickdraw again. This option in turn loses to basically anything else Ike could do out of QD provided he spaces correctly.)

What all those actions have in common is that whatever Ike does will happen too fast for the opponent to differentiate from his other options and react accordingly. In other words, Ike has a tool with which, from a distance where Marth and Roy can't threaten the opponent, he can sometimes force his opponent to play a mixup game without necessarily revealing his own cards. That's what Ike has over Marth and Roy.

How's that?
I was initially worried when you gravitated towards the idea that there must be a "tool" that makes Ike's neutral better, but I really like where you went with it. It's these kinds of thoughts that push things to further corners rather than just filling in the pain by numbers chart.

EDIT: I meant paint by numbers but I'll admit I like what I accidentally wrote.

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Warning Received
You described quite accurately/made the summary of a set between a Mewtwo/ZZS against an Ike near the beginning of 3.5. It was probably the first glimmer of it that has happened in recent patches, though it was a very clear glimmer.

A set where, the entire story (every moment of it) was a tale of Ike being threatening from a certain space nearby, that was far enough away that M2/ZSS had to act in an aggressive way simply to not be in a disadvantageous position in what people call neutral. They had to work neutral in a maneuver-heavy way to keep Ike on the back-foot, not to get an advantage, but to not be in danger themselves with Ike on-the-loose. Though this entire time, Ike never had to overextend himself, or ever be at any distance that was urgent in the sense that HE had to make the move and initiate interaction.
ZSS/Mewtwo are fast, can 'control' neutral the way people often refer to what makes a good neutral game. Yet throughout the entire thing, Ike created the sense of urgency with the presence he had on the stage. Not the other way around.
There were signs of this in early patches, 3.02 included, when pace-control was like wild-fire in the game. This is still being hinted at, and it's quite clear if one knows what to look for.

This brings to mind, that I'd actually like to hear Frozen's thoughts on it. Since he played against the Ike.
How do you tag that bugger? There are a billion Frozensomethings on this forum.

PS: Life, werd

Edit:
1) What's the Pit riddle?
2)
If you saw my post about this not long ago, it's been my life's work in the forum community for a long time.
Found it. This one. http://smashboards.com/threads/tier-list-speculation.331666/page-948#post-20171034

Otherwise, that metaphor wasn't too far off from some other things, it was just less direct.

tl;dr of this WHOLE thing below...
If one learns how one learns
If one pays attention to where one's attention goes
If one looks for what is to see with clarity, rather than look for clarity to see what is.
Then one has done one's work.
Wherever you are, on whatever path you're on, the shared natural element of change is eternally your constant.
Live with it well. (hint on how: re; "if one ....")

My brother describes my view and the view of others like we're on a bunch of lily-pads. Everyone is hopping around in the water on these things with no sign of shore but frantically looking for answers, and I keep telling everyone to sit down and look at the ground they're standing on and everything thinks they have to GET somewhere to see the ground I'm talking about.

Victor Wooten (some mad genius with music) described it like everyone is climbing a mountain, trying to get to the wise-man at the top. Meanwhile I'm just sitting there among the hustling and people ask questions and try to get higher but keep going in circles, getting upset with how little effort I put in to keep up with their hard work. Then they get tired, listen to me telling them to enjoy the view, and they take a seat to realize they're at the top.

My counter-part in Smash and other things in the life-experience of learning and growing as a person took that another direction. Some people might lead the pack up the mountain, and tie the new ropes down (him and Victor and my brother and MANY others in EVERY field), but there's this annoying bamesy-bird flying around watching everyone take all the steps. Then it shouts at you... tells you there's an easier path but you have to stop doing what you're doing and drop all your tools and do something else entirely, and it seems like it doesn't make sense and is backtracking and isn't getting you any answers and you just can't handle what you KNOW that might bring up. Once in a while everybody takes their turn sitting, even for just small breaks, and in those moments, all of that context and everything comes clear. It was all just to understand everything you ALREADY KNOW.

As Odds said, there's the muck and the watching. You can watch in the muck, you can get out of the muck and watch, but you won't know you're in the muck until you watch for it. This watching is not with the eyes everyone is usually looking with. It's with very different eyes.
If everyone was watching, we'd have a tier list done by now. ;)

Yet, nothing you ever see/hear/read will ever be something you don't ALREADY KNOW.
I'm not talking about knowledge here (like who has the biggest grab ranges and junk). Knowledge and Knowing are not at all comparable. Be sure to understand this, and never get them mixed up. If you do, and you notice you may have, attend to it accordingly and carry on.

But don't listen to anyone.
Odds just found a small character called Pikachu hiding in the crack of his shell made of popularity and blindfolds known as loving a single character too much and getting too caught up in what others were attending to regarding his vision to see there was too much in the vastness of this game to do that. Umby is still trying to get a foothold on what it's like to constantly be grasping for ideas that save him from holes dug by making statements he goes back on every 2nd week, and Oracle, that poor soul, has even started copy-pasting things Bamesy has said from months ago.

^ Even our gods fail us.

Bamesy of all people. That terrible terrible poster who spams up the pages with such long sentences and smartypants dialogue and thought-provoking concepts that are really just verbal diarrhea zen koan mumbo jumbo that he deserves to be banned for ever provoking the idea that Kingvan Doodoodooze could ever be a premonition to the forthcoming of the anti-meta character that haunted Tier Lists from making any sense for an entire year after the Ooze enter the forum.

All bow to OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZE

Last edited by a moderator:

Life

Smash Hero
And here I was half expecting a "nope, it was something else completely, though that's a totally cool idea you just had there and I'm glad you're thinking about the game." Judging by the lack of any sort of qualifier on the post, I'm guessing I got most of it?

Although it's odd you bring up Mewtwo and ZSS. I'd expect them to be in that Falco category where they can throw projectiles sufficiently to shut down Quickdraw. I take it the Ike in question (Ally, I assume?) was acting in such a manner where that wasn't an issue? Or do I overestimate those two characters' tools in that situation?

So anyway, here's my riddle about Pit.

Premise: Pit's arrows are a good tool.

Now, everyone who's ever seen two Pit gfys has probably seen arrows do something cool. In certain matchups (space animals come to mind), landing one in an edgeguard situation is a death sentence. Beyond that, they can extend combos sometimes, although in my experience they often don't do quite enough hitstun to make the followup a true combo. (If you're blatantly ridiculous, you could loop an arrow, get grabbed, and hit the opponent with the arrow to break their grab, but that's, well, blatantly ridiculous.)

However, in many situations, landing an arrow will do very little, maybe a couple percent and a tiny bit of hitstun, but Pit's got thirty-ish frames of endlag on grounded arrow (and 25 on aerial arrow) so he can't do much to convert off that. Despite that, even in situations where arrows aren't directly going to change the game, I still think it's a good idea to throw them out (obviously not to the point of predictability, but fairly often).

The riddle: Pit's arrows are good even when he won't get rewarded significantly for landing one. Why?

(inb4 "congratulations, Life, you've discovered zoning" which is part of it but not the whole story. You don't have to dig super deep for this answer, but it's not THAT straightforward lol)

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
And here I was half expecting a "nope, it was something else completely, though that's a totally cool idea you just had there and I'm glad you're thinking about the game." Judging by the lack of any sort of qualifier on the post, I'm guessing I got most of it?

Although it's odd you bring up Mewtwo and ZSS. I'd expect them to be in that Falco category where they can throw projectiles sufficiently to shut down Quickdraw. I take it the Ike in question (Ally, I assume?) was acting in such a manner where that wasn't an issue? Or do I overestimate those two characters' tools in that situation?

So anyway, here's my riddle about Pit.

Premise: Pit's arrows are a good tool.

Now, everyone who's ever seen two Pit gfys has probably seen arrows do something cool. In certain matchups (space animals come to mind), landing one in an edgeguard situation is a death sentence. Beyond that, they can extend combos sometimes, although in my experience they often don't do quite enough hitstun to make the followup a true combo. (If you're blatantly ridiculous, you could loop an arrow, get grabbed, and hit the opponent with the arrow to break their grab, but that's, well, blatantly ridiculous.)

However, in many situations, landing an arrow will do very little, maybe a couple percent and a tiny bit of hitstun, but Pit's got thirty-ish frames of endlag on grounded arrow (and 25 on aerial arrow) so he can't do much to convert off that. Despite that, even in situations where arrows aren't directly going to change the game, I still think it's a good idea to throw them out (obviously not to the point of predictability, but fairly often).

The riddle: Pit's arrows are good even when he won't get rewarded significantly for landing one. Why?

(inb4 "congratulations, Life, you've discovered zoning" which is part of it but not the whole story. You don't have to dig super deep for this answer, but it's not THAT straightforward lol)
You put it very differently than I would have, but basically nailed it in enough places to hold it down.
You also used language that I wouldn't have, but is likely much more effective for others to understand too.
That's kind of how these things go.
I don't make sense a lot of the time, I'm sure, and it's just as you pointed out.
I usually can't make sense of what others say, as we've been over as well.
The bridge is needed (Victor/bro/team-mate that I mentioned in the edits of my last post are examples of them) and you're being a VERY decent bridge right now.
I 'could' go into stuff on the Ike thing, because I 'think' there's something else, but I'm not 'sure' if there is because I may have either missed something in the way you said what you did, or I'd just muck it all up for everyone again. I'll sit the rest of that out.

-It wasn't Ally.
-Or it's the other side of that coin (an underestimation of 'something/one' else [Ike]) and I'm sure you know which side I'm on regarding that at this point.
-Also, you could say it was 'acting in a manner' but it was really just (as didds didds described in his post about Squirtle) appropriate and proper Smashing (not getting hit...etc)

Edit: This bottom part was in reference to Pit. lul @ how this is probably a prime example on how I lose people in conversations around these here discussysmashy parts.
Samus's uncharged charge-shot was a big part of why I beat m2k's Marth with Samus in an MM in Melee.
I refused to play her in PM until that was fixed.
It's fixed.
It's sexy.
It's a terrible horrible trashy garbage move by all standards and statistics and logic.
Yet somehow... just somehow... this nutty mess of a game called Smash has some other quality to it that makes **** (like literal poop that's disgusting in bad ways and shouldn't exist) WORK

Weird... I think we all need to eat more brains or something.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
w.r.t. Pit riddle: What did uncharged charge shot do to M2K that made it easier/possible to defeat him?

I personally think that tactic actually isn't awful in and of itself, it's just that using it prevents you from using fully charged charge shot which most Samuses prefer; plus missile covers the same general space, so it might not be immediately obvious how doing that might be a benefit.

Better yet, was this MM recorded? I could probably tell you if you were on the right track from watching the set. The key to the riddle is in the counterplay. Pretend you're Pit's opponent, not Pit. Pit pulls out his bow. What do you do?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
re: nausicaa

never got a chance to respond to this from like 4 days ago but

yes, I do think 50% of people are just pretending to understand him, even if not consciously; rather they see the few accurate/verifiable things he says, and then extrapolate their own meanings of his confusing/nonsensical ramblings because they've assumed the burden of communication is on them for not understanding rather than on nausicaa for not properly communicating. And there's no reason to believe that the issue is just lack of communication ability, chances are he also makes as little sense in his head as he does in typing. The crazy sage character is a character trope, not a real life personality. In real life, the more crazily you communicate, the less valid your ideas are even if people understand what you're saying. Add to this that he has no verifiable claims for having "tutored" or "trained" top players and no evidence of his level of play to back up any of his statements. The more people put him on ignore the better. Not because he's a bad person or w/e, but reading his posts is seroiusly draining my sanity and it's hard to avoid when he makes himself the fucking center of the thread constantly.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
The set in question, Frozen v DJ Nintendo at Nebulous 14.

A rematch from 3.6b.

ZSS can kind of do that, but Ike (as with most characters) can play around Paralyzer in a way that makes it more of a mild annoyance than a real means of dictating interactions. She might use it in specific situations to force a certain set of responses (ex. to cover a potential vulnerability), but otherwise she's generally better off staying mobile, as it's always been.

If Mewtwo's not sitting on a charge then Shadow Ball's in a similar, albeit weaker position. Comparable commitment, more startup, less reward. Doesn't really shut down smart use, but if they're predictable it can mess them up a bit. I'd be more interested in positioning in ways that make it difficult for Ike to muster his tools/know which tool is the right one to use, though Shadow Ball can help you reach that point.

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
^Drinkingfood
Good thing I take long breaks away from the smashyworld of smash. Another one incoming, probably the day after tomorrow I'll be away again. Yay you! :D
If you think my 'writing' is crazy and it's not something that can translate to vocal dialogue, that's completely understandable, but you couldn't have that any more backwards in this instance. In fact, that's pretty much 100% backwards from the truth. Listening to me in person shuts up an entire room into a state of meditative contemplation, literally every single Sunday for the last 5+ years of my life has been hosting massive gatherings with just that happening every single time.
You'd be VERY surprised to meet me in person, and for those who have (they're around) it's always a doozy. Maybe you'll meet one of them one day, maybe you'll meet me.
We're opposites though, as I've mentioned before. Would be an odd interaction for sure.
You could ask quite a few peeps about the other stuff, Axe and Hugs might have a word about that if they remember the pre-decade era and their rise to stardom and return from brawl days. Scorp existed because a certain player (ehem) crushed a certain Fox in repeated mms even before that time.
That's all beside ANY POINT YOU SHOULD EVER PAY ATTENTION TO.

Read what is said without interpretation.
^whatever the hell that might mean to you, do it.
Or you'll be rolling in the crap of credentials and BS that means essentially 0% of anything. Whether you want it to be important or not, it's not.

On that note, I totally got a minor spam infraction for describing mental disposition in the post above.
Sexy how unrelated to a topic something can be, yet be so related at the same time. It was probably the most accurate and yet twisted post in the last 20 pages too. ha

w.r.t. Pit riddle: What did uncharged charge shot do to M2K that made it easier/possible to defeat him?

I personally think that tactic actually isn't awful in and of itself, it's just that using it prevents you from using fully charged charge shot which most Samuses prefer; plus missile covers the same general space, so it might not be immediately obvious how doing that might be a benefit.

Better yet, was this MM recorded? I could probably tell you if you were on the right track from watching the set. The key to the riddle is in the counterplay. Pretend you're Pit's opponent, not Pit. Pit pulls out his bow. What do you do?
That's basically what it was. Expecting Samus to land with anything from an aerial to a waveland, and approach her in some space-taking maneuver (dashing in) only to get clipped by an uncharged shot from the air-to-ground transition. No cancel, no reward further, but enough to make an opponent weary of punishing a would-be punishable situation, and tentative/hesitant at further engagements of that sort from there on.
You got it though. Pit-arrow-style is what the point was, same idea of situation and result from the actions.
Was 2010 and no.

Edit: Regaring your Pit holds an arrow, what do? statement.
@GeZ might have a similar idea about Mario and wavedash backwards Fireballs, and you 2 might have fun discussing that.

PS: This thread is MINE you can all bugger off.
Or I'll swat you!
With my... ooze chops!

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Actually I don't believe Nausicaa has any notable tournament placings, so I'm not even sure you can say that he's good at the game called "don't get hit by the things you don't want to get hit by, and hit people with the things you want to hit them with."

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Speaking of bowser: I don't see the harm in him having something like his smash 4 up b, where the more he mashes b, the higher he rises - Luigi/ics style. It would give him a better vertical on top of his already good horizontal. It can still be edgeguarded quite easily but it still gives him a much better chance of coming back.

Also how does bowser do vs jigglypuff?

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
^Drinkingfood
Good thing I take long breaks away from the smashyworld of smash. Another one incoming, probably the day after tomorrow I'll be away again. Yay you! :D
If you think my 'writing' is crazy and it's not something that can translate to vocal dialogue, that's completely understandable, but you couldn't have that any more backwards in this instance. In fact, that's pretty much 100% backwards from the truth. Listening to me in person shuts up an entire room into a state of meditative contemplation, literally every single Sunday for the last 5+ years of my life has been hosting massive gatherings with just that happening every single time.
You'd be VERY surprised to meet me in person, and for those who have (they're around) it's always a doozy. Maybe you'll meet one of them one day, maybe you'll meet me.
holy ****, there's no way you aren't a ****ing narcissist
which just makes it all the more convincing that 1FD is an alt of yours

Last edited:

frankxthexbunny

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of bowser: I don't see the harm in him having something like his smash 4 up b, where the more he mashes b, the higher he rises - Luigi/ics style. It would give him a better vertical on top of his already good horizontal. It can still be edgeguarded quite easily but it still gives him a much better chance of coming back.

bowser hates jigglypuff. everything combos into rest and bowser thrives against characters that need to pressure to win.

Also I'm going to go ahead and point out mew2king says some of the wrongest tier things ever sometimes. Winning tournaments teaches you frame data and gives you practical knowledge of what worked at one specific time. New blood always redefines the tier list with come from behind victories no on expected (like Amsa but on a larger scale). Old blood only see the game as they know it and aren't much more equipped than anyone else to see how it will be in the future.

I'm not saying that High level players cannot predict tier movement, I'm just saying it's not a prerequisite. If Naus is as good as he says then he has enough knowledge to make gutsy calls on what will work in the future, especially since that's pretty much all he does. Sure it gives us no reason to trust him, but the simple fact that he doesn't think that Fox is all everyone's cracking him up to be in PM is enough for me to believe that he's on to something. In the end, it's all with a grain of salt. I don't catch all his riddles sure but he REALLY isn't that hard to understand, especially if you read the literature he posts every now and again (and is on his profile).

And btw while everyone was busy scoffing about marth having a better neutral than Ike, more productive people in the thread (than I) went ahead and came up with some interesting mindgames and such that Ike has that Marth and Roy doesn't. Whether you place mindstuff over stuffstuff is like totally your call and all, but it's not invalid to say that Ike's ability to "force mixups without revealing his own cards" isn't a powerful mental neutral tool.

So to tl;dr it
High level players need to explain themselves just as much as anyone else
I've never seen a high level player's tier list that was accurate AFTER THE FACT.
We're all just trying to frame the game in our heads, all in different ways and from different views
Naus backs up his arguments (and isn't hard to understand really. i mean really)
When Naus doesn't back up his arguments he asks the class what they think and gets thoughtful responses from the open minded and effectively no responses from everyone else.
All that's happening is some people are thinking laterally, and some logically, and this is causing a schism that should not be happening.

tldr tldr
something something perspective.
look at the 3.0 "joke" tier list and how bad it was. These were high level players. We're all equally clueless. So let's be friends and try to get over having different approaches to tier analysis

btw bowser totes trashes spacies, as well as dedede and donkey kong at least used to.

Last edited:

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
In almost exactly the same way that Fox has bad matchups, yeah.

Almost. He probably beats Roy, and maybe Kirby.
Roy i would like to say is 50-50 (maybe 45-55 in either way, i mean really its close)
Kirby.... has alot of things he can do to bowser but i agree with this

I dont mind the idea since bowser has a very low verticle recovery and its sad when i see a bowser flub and sd or he gets stuck into the edgeguards because its so predictable.

Also ill quote soulpech on the bowser match up.

"i literally have 9 different flow charts that end in a rest"
-soulpech (at a tournament i faced him at)

steelguttey

mei is bei
olimars lag is worse, olimars trajectory is worse, predictabilty is worse, more punishable, easier to edgeguard, i can keep going but im kinda floored by the comment that hes like falco in any way, because hes not.
olimar also has more mixups because of down b wavebouncing, neutral b jump, and if he has a purple he can knock people off ledge, so hes much less predictable. olimars recovery has a hitbox that can hit people hogging ledge, so i can see the jetpack being harder to punish and harder to edgeguard in some situations. i never compared olimar to falco, i said he has an onstage game that is almost as good as falcos.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Even if Nausicaa is flat out wrong about a lot of things, it doesn't really hurt to look at the game from another perspective. You might be able to gain some insight about a problem or situation you might have missed otherwise.

Back to the discussion about Ike, Life Life made a point that QD forces his opponent into a mixup game without showing his cards.

This kind of brings me to a discussion that's been going on in the Ike group. @Umbreon recommends to go to larger stages and try to stay away from smaller stages as Ike, which wouldn't make sense since Ike is just sword Ganon right? He hits hard and moves slow so why would he want to go to larger stages where he can be outmaneuvered? It basically comes down to what Ike is able to do with QD, on smaller stages Ike can only safely use QD in a stagger situation. At that point Ike just becomes sword Ganon, with slow hitboxes for stage control (fair is frame 17, nair is frame 7 but starts above him, etc)

On larger stages Ike can use QD to put the opponent into the situation that Life Life described, and gathering information for free (essentially) is a powerful strength that is usually reserved for characters like ZSS, Falcon, and Fox. QD can also be used on larger stages to move yourself out of bad stage positioning, you can quickly shoot past an opponent, RAR to turn and face them, and can cover the space in front of you by using nair or fair. Combine that strength with the rather consistent punishes that Ike has and it's really no wonder why he's still considered a top 15 character despite nothing but nerfs to his options.

didds

Smash Lord
Regardless of whether or not nausicaa is whatever about whatever, is it narcissism to be confident in your strengths?

Is he nausicaa or narcicaa?

Edit: I'll see myself out

Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure nobody thinks when they read. Comprehension has always been a bane in discussion in the tier list thread, but that was incredible. Mind = splosion

G&W won a tournament. Neutral is the primary part of Smash. G&W must have won neutral too much. DD and projectiles are the key parts of neutral. G&W must need DD and projectile nerfs.

^ Is everyone thinking this or something?
I think the people who at least have a good fundamental understanding of "neutral" don't follow that line of logic. At the least I see that G&W's tools in neutral are beatable, but the things the people don't want to get hit by are taking huge tolls on the MU (like you were discussing earlier), but more because people weren't playing vs G&W in neutral properly (as thorough MU experience is hard to come by) and weren't DI/SDI'ing his combos properly (as a result of MU inexperience/lack of knowledge).

To be a consistent top player I think you actually need to study MUs like you're in school, like a true nerd. I know from my own travels that most smashers don't do this, they rely much more on actual experience, which is tough to come by because in no region will you find a strong main per character that knows their MUs.

To be blunt, first...
That's EXACTLY why everything went sideways.
2 things.
1) Some people addressed how fly-by N-Air isn't like CF's. Some addressed how it's punishable. Some addressed conversion tools. Some address options in neutral in general.

^ Every single one of these was a different direction, and NOT the point within the context of the point I was making. Said the words, many words, many things pointed out, the direction I was leaning personally was very far from where everyone else went with it.
BUT
100% of everyone's points stand (stand true, in many ways or all, you could say), including yours and mine, NONE of any of it was contradictory. No matter how you want to explain that it's different than CF's N-Air, punishable (your point), converts only certain ways, or whatever else.
Understood.

So you know where I'm coming from, I think having unpunishable attack options makes for the most powerful neutral in any fighting game. You deal damage but not take damage in return = 100-0 MU, you get a perfect every game, your opponent doesn't get the chance to fight back. When I analyze how good a character's neutral is in a MU, and for the entire game, I first try to figure out, "Can this character attack and deal damage without getting punished in return under any circumstances?"

Frame-data by this logic says she should NEVER get a Grab off anything but hard-tech-chases.

You're applying some reasoning to some of these things, and disregarding it regarding other things. Applying different reasoning for other things, and disregarding it for these things.
At theoretical top level play, almost, I believe Samus should only be getting grabs off hard tech chases and if followed up under the right circumstances with missiles. And yes that latter part about the applying reasoning for some things and disregarding it for others is true, I do it based on circumstance. For instance Marth's dtilt is faster, longer reaching, and much less punishable than most if not all of Ike's ground moves and I consider that significant, but Meta Knight's dtilt has equal range and comes out faster compared to Marth's but I hardly consider that significant (relative to Marth). That's a discussion for another time.

To be more clear I don't think Marth/Roy have better neutral period, as in, better neutral in every MU. I just think it's better on average. Marth/Roy's ability to attack and cut off their opponent's neutrals on the ground is terrific. But, in certain MUs, I consider Ike's ground game to be just sufficient enough that his ability to fly out at CF esque speeds with huge disjointed hitboxes is more valuable than the ground zoning Marth/Roy can do. As a Marth main I still consider Ike's neutral better for these MUs: Peach, Samus, Puff, and maybe Zelda, Sonic, and Mewtwo. There are a decent number of MUs where I don't consider either character's neutral better, but more MUs where I'd consider Marth's better. Hence why I still consider Marth's neutral better than Ike's on average, but Ike still to be a strong character, def in the same tier at least.

Last edited:

Boiko

:drshrug:
You could ask quite a few peeps about the other stuff, Axe and Hugs might have a word about that if they remember the pre-decade era and their rise to stardom and return from brawl days. Scorp existed because a certain player (ehem) crushed a certain Fox in repeated mms even before that time.
Samus's uncharged charge-shot was a big part of why I beat m2k's Marth with Samus in an MM in Melee.
It's nice to talk about wins that we've gotten in our careers, but it sounds like you're using wins from 2010 and prior to try to substantiate your points and that's not really how things work. Plus, it's hard to believe this is true because that's not even how Scorp came about.

You say things like:
His fly-by N-Air being essentially an unpunishable wide-spread converting tool
And then when people tell you how that is incorrect for XYZ reason, you say that we're failing to see the game in the context that you want us to see it in. The problem is that you're failing to validate why we should see the game in that context and what that context is. You do not have any footage that indicates your level of play, just claims about your wins in melee from 5+ years ago. When I'm trying to demonstrate a point, I break it down as much as possible. If I wanted to explain why I thought that a move was a powerful neutral tool. I would explain how the moves works in conjunction with the character's kit, what the counter play is to it, why that counter play doesn't always work which makes it an effective neutral breaking tool, and then explain the potency of follow ups that stem from said tool. I wouldn't make a claim, shroud it in mystery, and then rather than having a discussion with someone who disagrees, say "you're not seeing it the way I do." Okay, but why should I? Players rely upon my opinion of Ness because they know that I'm a good player with proven, relevant results. Why should I listen to you?

You brought up Samus' uncharged charge shot, and how it is the tool that allowed you to beat M2K. You vaguely explained how you used it while referring to it as "sexy." But all you did was explain its function in one situation where a player expects landing with an aerial or waveland. Okay, but what if the player is below you like Marth should be? What if they anticipate it and run up shield? What's the counter play? Why is it something worth exploring?

It is not revolutionary technology. Samus players have been using this forever. It forces you to respect Samus' landing when you're not in a position to run up>shield>punish, and it forces your opponent to shield if they're attempting to run up>punish, allowing you to land safely and reset neutral. Good players, however, pressure Samus coming down, pinning her into a corner so that charge shot becomes unsafe. Or they threaten the zone directly underneath her, which she can not adequately cover while descending. So yes, you're right, it is not a good move, but it has niche uses. You can do this with a full charge shot too, it just becomes more "expected." Good players will adapt to getting hit by it once, however, and respect the mix up option.

If you want people to view the game from a different perspective you should explain two things:
1.) What that perspective is.
2.) Why your perspective is worth considering.

Edit: That being said, I believe that even the most unskilled player could contribute something worth thinking about. You don't necessarily have to be good to have good opinions. But, it helps when you're able to substantiate your opinions one way or another. Often, the best way to do this is by demonstrating it in real gameplay.

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
olimar also has more mixups because of down b wavebouncing, neutral b jump, and if he has a purple he can knock people off ledge, so hes much less predictable. olimars recovery has a hitbox that can hit people hogging ledge, so i can see the jetpack being harder to punish and harder to edgeguard in some situations. i never compared olimar to falco, i said he has an onstage game that is almost as good as falcos.
Whistle Wavebounce sends you further away from the stage, aerial Pluck has a whole bunch of frame where you're just wiggling around in the air and your opponent can go hit you. Pretty much always better to use Pluck first, then jump as you get closer because then at least you can do a rising Fair to ward people off. So it's not exactly a mixup.

His hitbox is okay but refreshing invincibility is easy against him because the jetpack moves so slowly. And it has so much landing lag that ending up onstage means you're going to get hit again.

Like I understand the PMDT's design philosophy of giving the edgeguarder more advantage than the player recovering but Olimar's recovery is free.

Top Bottom