• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I find it silly that people even say fox doesn't have results when almost every region has a top fox that could make major placement at any time. SoCal is ruled by Lucky. Here in louisiana we have Lee Martin (I'm the only person he doesn't beat with fox). Canada (some part of it...? i don't follow canadian scene) has alphicans, pretty sure silent wolf (is he from canada or just north USA?) plays a lot of fox still in PM when he's not playing wolf.

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
A bit late, but Peach's air-dodge doesn't work quite like Melee, she can't fast fall out of it anymore, meaning she can't reliably escape Fox up-throw up-air.
Really? It looks fine to me. Maybe you're trying to fast-fall too early? If not, remember that Peach fast-falling doesn't look that much more impressive than Peach just falling unless the distance is large. You might have to do something like jump off Temple if you want to notice anything really significant.

I find it silly that people even say fox doesn't have results when almost every region has a top fox that could make major placement at any time. SoCal is ruled by Lucky. Here in louisiana we have Lee Martin (I'm the only person he doesn't beat with fox). Canada (some part of it...? i don't follow canadian scene) has alphicans, pretty sure silent wolf (is he from canada or just north USA?) plays a lot of fox still in PM when he's not playing wolf.
SW isn't Canadian, I believe he's from Washington. I'm also sure Weon-X has a more impressive record than Alphicans, considering he's #1 for the Ontario PM PR and #2 for the Melee PR and has taken games (and possibly sets?) off KirbyKaze in Melee.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Really? It looks fine to me. Maybe you're trying to fast-fall too early? If not, remember that Peach fast-falling doesn't look that much more impressive than Peach just falling unless the distance is large. You might have to do something like jump off Temple if you want to notice anything really significant.

SW isn't Canadian, I believe he's from Washington. I'm also sure Weon-X has a more impressive record than Alphicans, considering he's #1 for the Ontario PM PR and #2 for the Melee PR and has taken games (and possibly sets?) off KirbyKaze in Melee.
I'm not a Peach player lol. Specifically in Melee Peach can fast fall during her air dodge or something like that. She can't in PM, Bladewise complains about it and Silent Wolf laughs about it.

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
I'm doing it right now, lmao. She can begin her fast-fall after her airdodge stops moving in a given direction. I'll try it out in Melee and see if the timing's changed.

Nevermind that. Yeah, she can't.

What am I talking about? I just checked both. She totally can.

But maybe I'm just having some confusion with the mechanic and Bladewise is right since he's got more experience with it. Not sure. I'm going to bed.

That MU would be a bit harsher if she couldn't, but now I'm like 99% sure they're exactly the same.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

as I said
dunno anything about canadia

Chevy

Smash Ace
I'm doing it right now, lmao. She can begin her fast-fall after her airdodge stops moving in a given direction. I'll try it out in Melee and see if the timing's changed.

Nevermind that. Yeah, she can't.

What am I talking about? I just checked both. She totally can.

But maybe I'm just having some confusion with the mechanic and Bladewise is right since he's got more experience with it. Not sure. I'm going to bed.

That MU would be a bit harsher if she couldn't, but now I'm like 99% sure they're exactly the same.
Yeah in testing I can't find a difference either, so it's probably the same. BW is insistent that he can't escape up-throw up-air anymore though, says there's more hitstun or something. Doesn't really make any sense, but it's a matchup he plays every week in both games so I'd trust that something is up. Definitely could just be PM visual cues tricking him up though, it seem escapable in Debug mode.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
FWIW: Pittsburgh Melee is ruled by Foxes (when we're not ruled by Luigis) but literally every single one of them hates PM so we actually don't have any real PM Fox players LOL

Also I feel like uthrow uair is harder in PM for Fox but it's probably either me being bad or characters in general being a little heavier

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
If Mewtwo had a Crawl + I could figure out how to sweetspot teleport, I would enjoy M2 a lot more.

*edit* Crawl because it is so perfect for wd characters. The real question is will the PMDT ever make wave scuttling (or whatever you wanna call crawling after a wd for a boost) work both directions. It works with Squirtle too...

Last edited:

Rongunshu

Smash Apprentice
Canada has Weon X who is currently dominating the Ontario scene but the ranked players are getting closer and closer to his level.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Yeah in testing I can't find a difference either, so it's probably the same. BW is insistent that he can't escape up-throw up-air anymore though, says there's more hitstun or something. Doesn't really make any sense, but it's a matchup he plays every week in both games so I'd trust that something is up. Definitely could just be PM visual cues tricking him up though, it seem escapable in Debug mode.
Get'em to re-test it.
Peach and Zelda's airdodges were matched to Melee in 3.5.
This is what I thought.
Canada has Weon X who is currently dominating the Ontario scene but the ranked players are getting closer and closer to his level.
Quebec PMing at all or just Ont?
@ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood I'm pretty sure we're familiar with the absolute opposite regions. Like PERFECTLY opposite. lol
Snake is pretty much at the bottom of high tier
Truth
Snake is OP
The worst characters in the game are Kirby and Pichu.

I really wish we could hard reset everyone's memory of Melee so people's tier lists wouldn't be so bad. Fox won't even be top 5.
but... Bowser
And tru dat
*quietly puts on shades*

Also Mewtwo.
I know of Chillin and Neon and that's all I can think of offhand.
Tru dat to mewtwo

meh at the rest
What are everyone's thoughts on Zelda?
She can kill if she gets a hits, and has a threatening area around her to make those hits possible in some ways.
Instead of moving through space to get RIGHT INTO that threatening space (think Peach dancing), she maneuvers that threatening space around so the opponent has to stay out.
Very different dancing. Something that has never been present in a Smash game in any significant way. Especially not in Melee. It's a cross between Ganon trying to corner someone with his dysfunctional neutral kit, while exchanging the need to cover yourself > for the need to not giving up the space you're covering the way a Melee Zelda would, or a half-camping Ivy or Oli would.
Attrition through burst-threats, rather than burst-threats through attrition. If that makes sense.

Side-note, these kinds of characters are always the last to develop when it comes to meta-game. The meta-games of others dictates more about this kind of match-up and game-plan than the character performing this. Hence it's so odd and janky. Gotta know Zelda really well to not get bopped by silliness, but then it's really hard for Zelda to not get bopped until she adjusts to whatever the opponent does in response.
Zelda comes last in nature of this pacing, but if the opponent (PM players who fight Zelda's) don't do the work first, then the meta-game will also be degenerate.

None of the nerfs to Fox have addressed anything problematic at all.
Was talking about this elsewhere.
I've also figured it would come to 2 things.
1) Lasers getting around Samus's Z-Air range, or whatever the 'close range' would be where it gets the full-damage from a laser.
Eliminates the need to occupy so much distance when it's ideal to play the Fox-camp-counter-approach game, which makes the mid-ranges a lot less over-committing if the opponent wants to commit to anything. Makes BIG distances less of a slowly-automatically-winning-position for Fox, and rather just a strong position.

2) Move the angle on U-Air to be slightly to one side. So DIing the wrong way is death off the top, DIing right can help you live. SDIing and DIing mixed makes it really interactive to get one without messing up the other, on top of Fox mixing up U-Air spacing and timings and directions. Lots of play, and lessens the auto-mode stuff.

Just kind of predict that if it were to go anywhere from here, that would be the place it would go because the PMDT kind of get that you can't just wreck stuff in the game for the sake of balance, but instead can make stuff more engaging for better play and that alone is auto-balancing.

Edit
3) is that I always thought CF would get some similar treatment for diversity and interaction interest sake.
U-Air having a more vertical angle, N-Air's 2nd hit having a more Jiggs-N-Air KB to it. Makes decision making a lot more interactive and interesting without losing anything he already has. It's less cart-wheels to death and more cart-wheels that will lead to death based on player-options, but more options and decisions to make on the way. More utility has to be used to actually make it work, but it can be just as free.
If the opponent makes the wrong play, or CF makes the right play. Instead of CF just makes the play regardless of whatever each player does.

CF can be the linear as ever character though. He's solid, would be nice if he was cooler.

Last edited:

frankxthexbunny

Smash Apprentice
I'll tell you what, that dude can press some buttons hahahaha

This video leaves me wondering if it's easier for Wolf to punish off multishines than it is for Fox and Falco, though. If Fox inserts an extra shine after hitting someone and then wavedashes out of that, how do his options change compared to a typical waveshine? What about Falco? If it turns out Wolf's multishine pressure is easier to get followups from than the other two, that could change things significantly if the metagame goes in a direction where multishine pressure is commonly used and is expected to frequently result in hits.
I always find it so funny that wolf is consistently placed as lower than fox and falco on tier lists when he has the advantages of both with very few of their weaknesses

Kapapanerp

Smash Apprentice
I'll say it 1000 times, Fox wasn't the best character in any of the patches.
We can debate about whether or not Fox is the best character or not all day but that doesn't change the fact that he still, by a large margin, has the most tournament wins. It's been that way even since 3.0.

MrLul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrL300
Maybe because Melee players, who have been adapting to matchups and just playing wayy longer than us are just better than us?

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Maybe because Melee players, who have been adapting to matchups and just playing wayy longer than us are just better than us?
Then why do those same melee players just better than us not get the same results with marth, sheik, jiggs, peach, and more importantly falco?
This is the next good debate point that will be brought up, I am just saving you time of reading through obvious broken fox is broken before this valid point is actually brought up.

I am not advocating positive or negative feelings toward this spacie. Since I am a diddy main, and the character has options that soft to hard counters every approach I can make unless I take huge risk for moderate reward, I am aware my opinion would be more biased than it should be, and will not mention the topic of "balanced" when addressing this particular character.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
Falco mains are more likely to lose to gimmicks jank cheese "poor game design" since he's so fragile compared to Fox.

Hbox won a PM tournament with Puff. PPMD won a PM local with Marth, though he doesn't play PM generally. There are several good PM-playing Peach mains (Bladewise comes to mind). Westballz plays PM Falco (I don't know how often) and succeeds. And do I have to bring up Axe? Can't really speak for Sheik players, but those "better than us" Melee players do in fact play Melee in PM and succeed on characters that aren't Fox.

Given that "fundamentals" is a widely accepted part of the fighting game vocabulary, why is anyone surprised that the longtime Melee veterans playing their Melee mains in a game that's a whole lot like Melee tend to see immediate success? And that many other top PM players (to name one, Junebug) likewise earned their stripes playing Melee or Brawl even if they don't necessarily play the same characters?

Granted, I still think Fox is the best character, but the transferability of skills between other Smash games and PM is undeniable.

Last edited:

The Baron

Smash Apprentice
I always find it so funny that wolf is consistently placed as lower than fox and falco on tier lists when he has the advantages of both with very few of their weaknesses
Nor really. Wolf has to play honest in neutral since laser doesn't command all the space that falco and foxes does, he lacks persistent, high priority, long lasting hitboxes (sex kicks), and his attacks all have some form of counterplay. That isn't to say he isn't strong, But he definitely has weaknesses. He reminds me of fukua and ryu. Hes super well rounded, and his strength just comes from adaptability, not ant real over specialization. Though like fukua, hes a little too well rounded making him fairly strong, especially in this enviroment.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Falco mains are more likely to lose to gimmicks jank cheese "poor game design" since he's so fragile compared to Fox.

Hbox won a PM tournament with Puff. PPMD won a PM local with Marth, though he doesn't play PM generally. There are several good PM-playing Peach mains (Bladewise comes to mind). Westballz plays PM Falco (I don't know how often) and succeeds. And do I have to bring up Axe? Can't really speak for Sheik players, but those "better than us" Melee players do in fact play Melee in PM and succeed on characters that aren't Fox.

Given that "fundamentals" is a widely accepted part of the fighting game vocabulary, why is anyone surprised that the longtime Melee veterans playing their Melee mains in a game that's a whole lot like Melee tend to see immediate success? And that many other top PM players (to name one, Junebug) likewise earned their stripes playing Melee or Brawl even if they don't necessarily play the same characters?

Granted, I still think Fox is the best character, but the transferability of skills between other Smash games and PM is undeniable.
The next point someone is going to say is that you had to go to literally the best player of the other character's main, while so many pm tourneys are won by Jane doe with fox. The followup rebuttal is that many of those players were small statistical outliers compared to the monopoly on wins that is fox, and that ppmd is good enough to win some melee tourneys with pichu, and as such would skew results if he was included. You did bring up valid points however,and if they won in 3.0 that would be far more credible to your claim fox is fine than if they won tourneys vs the nerfed 3.5 cast. Thanks for the input {also when saying someone won tourniesits best to name them, otherwise pessimist will believe the talent pool was low.)

Last edited:

NWRL

Smash Ace
I think that with the normalization of rolls and spotdodges across the cast, one of the best aspects to have in a character now is the ability to tech chase easily. Tech chases won't be braindead against characters like Bowser any more, but characters that can tech chase well in the current environment just got a lot stronger, due to the timing being stricter to continue the chase. I can say that Falcon, Ike, Roy, Marth, Fox, Diddy all just got slightly stronger with the changes offensively, whereas Bowser and a few others got stronger defensively. (obviously)

The most important thing right now is to let things settle and see where the meta advances as far as dealing with Fox, he's still extremely strong but I'm unconvinced that he's as big of a problem as everyone seems to suggest. Yes, he gets good results, but that's expected of a character with the development that he has. He kills later with usmash, his uthrow->uair conversion is still probably the best in the game, but that can be SDI'd out of, even if it's extremely difficult to do so. Lasers being nerfed hurts his camping game, and while it's lame to get camped out with Fox, I think it's also lame to strip a character of it's flavor by repeatedly nerfing lasers when they're not the thing that makes Fox strong.

Characters to look out for this patch are: Fox, Falco, Wolf, Roy, Marth, Ike, ROB, Peach, Diddy, MetaKnight, Snake, Falcon, Mario, Wario, and Sheik

If your character has good/even matchups with these characters, then I think it will do well in the meta.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Characters to look out for this patch are: Fox, Falco, Wolf, Roy, Marth, Ike, ROB, Peach, Diddy, MetaKnight, Snake, Falcon, Mario, Wario, and Sheik

If your character has good/even matchups with these characters, then I think it will do well in the meta.
And funnily enough, most of these characters are or already were pretty good in comparison to the rest of the cast prior to the normalization. Spacies and swordies were widely seen as very good, alongside ROB, Diddy, and Falcon.

Hopefully this doesn't end up polarizing things further instead of normalizing them, but I think the other changes in the patch will (hopefully) prevent that from being the case.

Life

Smash Hero
1. I didn't say Fox was fine, I said that PM has more transferable skills from the other Smash games than people seem to think, especially when playing the characters most similar to other Smash games i.e. the Melee top tiers. My PM local, to my knowledge, has never been won by anyone without significant experience in Melee (except the one guy who played a lot of Brawl, who quit when we all got good enough to beat him LOL).

A lot of top Melee players in general have a disdain for the game (understandably; if you're already good at Melee, why try to play more games and lose your edge?), which I think is a reason why it's not constantly Melee-in-PM players winning tournaments. But considering how popular Fox is in Melee (especially as a pocket character, so people who have a pocket Fox can play him in PM and not worry about screwing up their main in Melee), it's going to happen disproportionately with him, balanced or no.

Again, I'm not arguing that Fox is fine or not fine, I'm arguing that Fox is disproportionately represented by the part of the player base that has the biggest head start on everyone else, and that that's a contributing factor to why he's so common and why he's so likely to get results, regardless of whether he's intrinsically balanced or not.

2. I don't remember which tournaments LOL

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
@ NWRL NWRL
how did tech chasing become stricter? Some characters getting standard spotdodges? Also, Squirtle is amazing at tech chasing and can set it up off of bubble, but he also gets tech chases absurdly hard.

NWRL

Smash Ace
@ NWRL NWRL
how did tech chasing become stricter? Some characters getting standard spotdodges? Also, Squirtle is amazing at tech chasing and can set it up off of bubble, but he also gets tech chases absurdly hard.
Overall, most characters have less frames of vulnerability on tech rolls and spotdodges. Take Bowser for example, he had like... 18 frames of vulnerability after rolling forward or backward, now he has 12 either direction, so you have to be 6 frames quicker to achieve the same result.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again

vist won the first 3.02 tournament on record with luigi, his melee main

then he quit pm because luigi was different than melee

so like fundamentals for other characters transfer over, yes, but for SOME REASON fox is still the most successful character in the game

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Overall, most characters have less frames of vulnerability on tech rolls and spotdodges. Take Bowser for example, he had like... 18 frames of vulnerability after rolling forward or backward, now he has 12 either direction, so you have to be 6 frames quicker to achieve the same result.
Tech options weren't changed at all, just rolls and spotdodges. Bowser got his tech rolls buffed in movement, but every character has the same vulnerability in tech rolls/tech in place.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
1. I didn't say Fox was fine, I said that PM has more transferable skills from the other Smash games than people seem to think, especially when playing the characters most similar to other Smash games i.e. the Melee top tiers. My PM local, to my knowledge, has never been won by anyone without significant experience in Melee (except the one guy who played a lot of Brawl, who quit when we all got good enough to beat him LOL).

A lot of top Melee players in general have a disdain for the game (understandably; if you're already good at Melee, why try to play more games and lose your edge?), which I think is a reason why it's not constantly Melee-in-PM players winning tournaments. But considering how popular Fox is in Melee (especially as a pocket character, so people who have a pocket Fox can play him in PM and not worry about screwing up their main in Melee), it's going to happen disproportionately with him, balanced or no.

Again, I'm not arguing that Fox is fine or not fine, I'm arguing that Fox is disproportionately represented by the part of the player base that has the biggest head start on everyone else, and that that's a contributing factor to why he's so common and why he's so likely to get results, regardless of whether he's intrinsically balanced or not.

2. I don't remember which tournaments LOL
Got ya, yea it appears we are arguing 2 different sides of it. Yours is that fox has the largest group of melee players, and that melee players have the most fundamentally sound talent to do well at a tournament. Where as I was arguing that the reason there are so many pm foxes for increased likelihood of getting results, is that the good options available to this character compared to the rest of the cast are more numerous than any list of con's that come with being fox. Melee elites are notably more talented than avg pm players, but only a few mains of other characters have had tourney success, and yet the pocket fox of someone that does well in melee is still good enough to get by, without even having to know what options the other character has just because fox has the potential to make their options not relevant.

Also vist winning a tourney doesn't really say who was in attendance, and at the beginning of 3.0, everyone was kind of not good at the game. I was more talking about towards the end of 3.02 with its mewtwo abuse(wrote an entire page worth of why even the idea of this character contained too many poor design choices.) Lucas, fireball with a strong down smash faster than some jabs, boomerang the character, and just unapologetic jankiness.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I read this often and the people that say this never go in-depth as to why. They never analyze gameplay and establish that the decision making or micro-level gameplay of high level Melee players far exceed that of our high and top level PM-specific players. It's just "Fox is really developed, Melee players are better," and that's the end of that. Shallow argument with neither demonstrable nor observable evidence, doesn't establish any new or interesting ideas.
Also doesn't address the issue that literally every other Melee character sees vastly weaker results, and are always lower on high-level player tier lists. Many people have brought up that there are 0-2 top level players of X character that can threaten similarly described players of Y character, including the likes of Sheik/Marth/Peach/Falco/Falcon etc, yet magically 15-20 Foxes? Is this just, ever so conveniently, a statistical anomaly? How far does it have to go until we consider that it is actually influenced by the character's ability to even some degree? I guess Meta Knight just attracted all the best players in Brawl...?

It's also really obvious to anyone with a brain watching some gameplay that top level Foxes still have no idea what half of their opponents are doing, and PM has been tournament relevant for like 3 years now. Lucky is actually the first I have seen in Project M to learn matchups and see vastly different set counts vs opponents as a result. It's why I consider him easily top 5 PM player in the USA, while Fox players who perform better than him in Melee are often weaker in PM.

I don't necessarily sit on either side of the fence but I do love exposing me some poor logic.

Last edited:

TheoryofSmaug

Smash Apprentice
I read this often and the people that say this never go in-depth as to why. They never analyze gameplay and establish that the decision making or micro-level gameplay of high level Melee players far exceed that of our high and top level PM-specific players. It's just "Fox is really developed, Melee players are better," and that's the end of that. Shallow argument with neither demonstrable nor observable evidence, doesn't establish any new or interesting ideas.
Also doesn't address the issue that literally every other Melee character sees vastly weaker results, and are always lower on high-level player tier lists. Many people have brought up that there are 0-2 top level players of X character that can threaten similarly described players of Y character, including the likes of Sheik/Marth/Peach/Falco/Falcon etc, yet magically 15-20 Foxes? Is this just, ever so conveniently, a statistical anomaly? How far does it have to go until we consider that it is actually influenced by the character's ability to even some degree? I guess Meta Knight just attracted all the best players in Brawl...?

It's also really obvious to anyone with a brain watching some gameplay that top level Foxes still have no idea what half of their opponents are doing, and PM has been tournament relevant for like 3 years now. Lucky is actually the first I have seen in Project M to learn matchups and see vastly different set counts vs opponents as a result. The others often win despite that.

I don't necessarily sit on either side of the fence but I do love exposing me some poor logic.
I noticed you have change your flair to MK and I'm assuming/hoping you're playing him at Paragon. Just curious on what your current opinions are on his tier list placement. To me he is like Shiek with Marth's neutral and extremely good, easily the second best character behind Fox.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Meta Knight is in my top 5 for sure, he's really good. His kit has answers to just about anything in the game. Less than 5 losing MUs.
Unsure if he's 2nd best, but I think I had him in my top 4 last time I made a list. The top 5 rn (in no particular order) is probably Fox Falco Wolf MK and Diddy.

Rizner

Smash Ace
Just caught up - good past few pages.

What are everyone's thoughts on Zelda? I generally think lower of characters whose mains don't have anything positive to say about them, but I also get this feel that Zelda could be decent. An incredible recovery, bair mixups (sh double bair, sh bair b reverse land canceled nayrus, bair waveland, bair nair), I think a decent response to juggles (telecancel snapping to platforms). Every Zelda main seems to be under the impression she is bottom 10 though, so I don't know what to think. Didn't @Umbreon make a claim awhile back that all Zelda's don't know how to use her in neutral? Maybe you could elaborate?
I think Zelda right now is generally not understood, at least her nuances and how her mechanics function on more than just a general level. I think that she is somewhere in the bottom half just due to a few matchups (fox, shiek, mewtwo, falcon), but overall her power and balance is in an ok spot. She isn't useless, and she doesn't really need to dominate. She has issues recovering (possibly the least exploited by other players due to lack of knowledge) and no real combo-escape tools, but those aren't game-breaking weaknesses necessarily. I personally don't like the current dins mechanic in terms of design, but it's pretty decent in some matchups and can be used in complex ways if the opponent doesn't force you out of it and isn't a fox/falcon/sonic. As Nausicaa mentioned, she's different than others in what she does and what she wants to do. She creates pressure through positioning moreso than movement or attacks, and can often hit really hard if opponents mess up or get called out on an option.

frankxthexbunny

Smash Apprentice
results only suggest tiers, in an undeveloped meta they're heavily influenced by character development popularity and of course the people playing them. Fox is the best top 8 melee character in the game for sure.

xLithiumx

Smash Cadet
I just wish Fox couldn't waveshine characters that fall to his shine*. Of course they can tech, as i've seen CPU's do before, but still, I don't really like it.

Last edited:

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight is in my top 5 for sure, he's really good. His kit has answers to just about anything in the game. Less than 5 losing MUs.
Unsure if he's 2nd best, but I think I had him in my top 4 last time I made a list. The top 5 rn (in no particular order) is probably Fox Falco Wolf MK and Diddy.
I feel similarly to you about the top tiers in this game. Am I the only one that finds it unfortunate that the best characters in melee, the best character in brawl, the former best character in smash 4, and a character specifically designed to play like the best characters in melee are most likely the best characters in this game. I feel like this was inevitable, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I feel similarly to you about the top tiers in this game. Am I the only one that finds it unfortunate that the best characters in melee, the best character in brawl, the former best character in smash 4, and a character specifically designed to play like the best characters in melee are most likely the best characters in this game. I feel like this was inevitable, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.
What are you talking about?

It's like Clash of the Titans up in here, I ****ing love it.

Btw SB you could stand to use more front hit of dair offstage to finish combos when I've seen you try to use fair carries into an edgeguard. Front dair is MK's strong forward finisher and applying it more should get you sick gimps. I think Fair -> Dair all Ken style is pretty possible too.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
results only suggest tiers, in an undeveloped meta they're heavily influenced by character development popularity and of course the people playing them. Fox is the best top 8 melee character in the game for sure.
Yes, results suggest tiers. When we have enough data points, we find that they indicate trends, and we look at those characters and try to figure out just how good they are. Of course, we as a community have historically looked to high level players and analytical minds in order to interpret results, as if it were just a matter of results we'd put all tournaments into a program and calculate tiers and be done with that. Those people have determined some cases to be outliers, like when single players that perform significantly better than everyone else with the character, this can be attributed mostly to player skill. But dozens of data points indicating the same thing is not an outlier, it denotes a trend. We've certainly come to the same conclusion with fewer data points in the past.

Last edited:
Top Bottom