• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Why would you feel bad about them getting only buffs and more tools? Feel bad for the pits and the olimars that got completely destroyed lol. Or the MKs, ZSSs, Squirtles, etc that lost so many tools.
Yes

I'm really sad that I cant withdraw into withdraw into withdraw anymore

Bring it back pmdt
That's what the changelog concurs, but I'll check sometime. I can't remember if the Nair or Bair was harder to get the side-b

Squirtle had his gravity and such changed every version to ruin his double aerials the most
https://youtu.be/IeLklmmYyNk?t=101
He's a shell of what he use to be, and nobody will ever know since everyone sucks at early/double aerials
You do realize that he had to be changed because the only reason he had the things he had before were do to universal bugs (stage collision bug) right
Also 3.02 squirtle was degenerate as all hell

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
You do realize that he had to be changed because the only reason he had the things he had before were do to universal bugs (stage collision bug) right
Also 3.02 squirtle was degenerate as all hell
http://projectmgame.com/en/news/project-m-3-0-changelist
3.0 when they fixed the SCD they also increased his gravity (no more SH Bair DJ/WL, SH Nair Aerial, SH Aerial Nair, etc.)
then they lowered his SH (no more SH Nair DJ/WL)
http://projectmgame.com/en/news/project-m-3-5-changelist
People suck at early aerials, nobody ever used any of these in a tournament match when they existed. I'm not sure if they knew SH Nair DJ/WL existed when they made the SH height change. For anyone who didn't use his early/double aerials he's been the same or better.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2mecds/squirtle_35_changes_what_they_mean_going_forward/
Short hop-
lowered, THANK GOD. This is actually really great, all too often if you tried to bair or nair from short hop you would overshoot your opponent (as in be too far above him) unless you got the timing exactly after jumpsquat finished. The ever amazing crossup "shorthop slingjump bair" now connects much more reliably, same with nair (although that isn't a crossup)."
He saw no downsides as he couldn't do SH Fair WL http://smashboards.com/threads/squirtle-squad-general-disc.331682/page-48#post-18149440 : meaning he, and the rest of you, didn't know or utilize similar difficult windows for SH Nair WL/DJ and so on in the past versions

Last edited:

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Jtm94 already posted a video a couple of pages back. Also outside of Stingers and Karma, don't really know anyone from the n. Carolina region that plays pm. Any good diddy players? And any videos of play for that region? Nice to stay updated on the off chance I run into new players. And want some new ideas before going on netplay later.

Last edited:

Beets

Smash Apprentice
I'm not seeing the post he wrote.
Forgive me. What I meant was:

Hey Alax, I wrote about the issue with changing PM Jigglypuff away from Melee.

Edit: This is the post I was replying to:
Why can't they changes Jiggs?

Who's gonna be upset, Hbox? He plays Mario in this game anyways.

I propose Sing should be made into the base of Jiggs moveset because, well, that's pretty much Jigglypuffs icon trait in Pokemon. Make it a close range paralyzer? Or hell, a shine that puts people to sleep.

But what of rest? I feel it shouldn't be the crutch of the character anymore. It should still be her go to kill option, just maybe act as Wolfs side b - a finisher. This beside Sing may be a bit op sounding, but hey, Snake makes it work, no? But this whole topic falls into the folder everyone leaves in the back of the filing cabinet - "muh melay"

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
Kai plays diddy, but mains sonic. You can probably find some vids of him here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCphw6bgXDURoWli8YfL-kCQ/videos

Not sure where the best place is, tbh, and it'll be mostly sonic. There will be some on FZG, though. Basically, FZG streams FPS every week (when possible) but it's not always PM. They also occasionally stream some bigger events. Kai was only recorded on PM for one FPS as far as I know. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you. Also... Kai isn't really a good DIDDY player or a good SONIC player. He's a bit like Chudat. He's not that great at the character, but he is REALLY good at smash in general. He's also mostly a sm4sh/brawl player from what I know, and he doesn't ever really wavedash or use melee tech. Basically, he's not good to watch if you want to learn how to play a character, but if you want to see someone KO top NC players with half charged sonic fsmashes off hard reads 3 times in a game, he's your guy. Next time we meet, I kinda want to try to teach him some tricks like wavedash oos and such and see what he does with it lol.

Also, to correct myself, Kai is currently 4th on the PR, not 3rd. (I made that mistake because he was 3rd when we played)

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info, was going to use video since I am still new to netplay and find myself sding by walking, and dropping b reverse combos that rely on footstools. All the same, the combos I saw Dla using seem a lot safer with less commitment so think I will do that more times than not.

And just trying to make sure, karma is the young sonic main right, played her a couple times. She is getting better in neutral from what I saw, which is good to see. Hope she hits the PR since she was going for it. If wrong karma, my bad, but there are a lot of them.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I am confused, how would you have ever footstooled Squirtle Withdraw? You can only footstool when they aren't doing attacks. That eliminates all up b's, but because Yoshi's recovery essentially is double jump, footstool is an option. Is there a bug or something?

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I am confused, how would you have ever footstooled Squirtle Withdraw? You can only footstool when they aren't doing attacks. That eliminates all up b's, but because Yoshi's recovery essentially is double jump, footstool is an option. Is there a bug or something?
No. Squirtle has a specific thing when he's footstooled out of withdraw. It's really stupid and you're literally stuck in it forever unable to do anything. It needs to be removed already, makes no sense that you can tank a ****ing falco dair but then someone jumps off of you and you just lose your ****

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
FYI normalize doesn't mean make everything the same, it really just means removing egregious outliers
It's silly when people make it into a slippery slope

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
If you normalize Ike he'd still be broken because M2K said so.

I've never practiced footstooling Squirtle out of SideB, but I have tried it in tournament and I didn't get it/got messed up because of it. I heard it feels easier with some characters, but I don't know. Also footstooling Yoshi out of DJ is straight disrespect and will turn friends against you. How is Wario vs Yoshi or is that unknown? Bite breaking DJ armor seems like it could matter, but I can't tell.

Foo

Smash Lord
Just dropping in to say that if you normalize everything that everyone in this thread complains about we might as well burn the SD cards and play What Does The Fox Say forever.
This is HIGHLY misleading. Everyone in this thread has different balance goals and biases and the community is fairly sizable. Of course if you followed EVERY nerf suggestion, the game would be an unplayable mess. However, that doesn't mean some characters don't need to be nerfed a bit, and some characters have things that need to be normalized a bit. imo, there's a range between "****ing jank BS" and "boring normalized BS" called "jank bs like momma used to make" which is the ideal balance zone.

On one hand, you have stuff like a sonic down-b that comes out frame 6, is the fastest movement in the entire game and can be turned on shield while doing constant damage at all times that is CLEARLY in the ****ing jank BS range and it was a really good thing that it was nerfed into jank bs like momma used to make. Then you have things like zss dash cancel blaster, that most people thought was fine. In the context of 3.02, it was balanced, but it was still ****ing jank BS, but only BARELY. Had the transcendence been removed and the frame 1 cancel been moved back a little bit, it would have been just like momma used to make, but they went too far and made it one of the most boring moves in the entire game. You just throw out a bunch of really dinky projectiles that don't really do any damage or anything with low lag, but not nearly low enough to do anything you would do with mario fireball or falco laser. You can charge it, but that part is so bad it's never really worth using. Blaster's redeeming quality is that you can spam them like crazy, but holy **** is that a boring thing.

Mewtwo acting out of TP was another thing that was pretty clearly in the ****ing jank bs range, but rather than remove it altogether they found a really clever and effective way to make it fair, deep, and interesting without removing any fun. They also added a little bit of jank in to ganon, with his float, but they were a little too careful with it imo. I think for it to be the most fun, the iasa should be a little sooner.

Basically, here's the point. There's gonna be people complaining about everything. It's the PMDT's job to find out what there is a general consensus about, filter out the random salt, and also note who the better and more intelligent players are complaining about. Then, they have to find a way to fix those characters without making moves that are unfun for either player.

BTW, here's why you want it in the middle.

****ing jank BS: Fun for the user, not fun to play against.

boring normalized bs: very boring for the user, neither boring nor fun to play against

bs just like momma used to make: less fun than ****ing jank bs for the user, but still fun, and really fun to play against.

For instance, I think diddy is in that perfect range of jank right now, because his projectiles are still really BS, but there's also really good counterplay to them. His moves are all REALLY good, but they almost all have some sort of weakness (usually either end lag or multihit)

EDIT: (also fixed up some spelling, grammar semantics etc. Also, Gannon was a typo, I swear)

------------------------------------------- No Medal Post ------------------------------------------
-------------------------
---------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------(as awarded by @ AceGamer AceGamer )-----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------(as revoked by @ Bazkip Bazkip )-----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
This is HIGHLY misleading. Everyone in this thread has different balance goals and biases and the community is fairly sizable. Of course if you followed EVERY nerf suggestion, the game would be an unplayable mess. However, that doesn't mean some characters don't need to be nerfed a bit, and some characters have things that need to be normalized a bit. imo, there's a range between "****ing jank BS" and "boring normalized BS" called "jank bs like momma used to make" which is the ideal balance zone.

On one hand, you have stuff like a sonic down-b that comes out frame 6, is the fastest movement in the entire game and can be turned on shield while doing constant damage at all times that is CLEARLY in the ****ing jank BS range and it was a really good thing that it was nerfed into jank bs like momma used to make. Then you have things like zss dash cancel blaster, that most people thought was fine. In the context of 3.02, it was balanced, but it was still ****ing jank BS, but only BARELY. Had the transcendence been removed and the frame 1 cancel been moved back a little bit, it would have been just like momma used to make, but they went too far and made it one of the most boring moves in the entire game. You just throw out a bunch of really dinky projectiles that don't really do any damage or anything with low lag, but not nearly low enough to do anything you would do with mario fireball or falco laser. You can charge it, but that part is so bad it's never really worth using. Blaster's redeeming quality is that you can spam them like crazy, but holy **** is that a boring thing.

Mewtwo acting out of TP was another thing that was pretty clearly in the ****ing jank bs range, but rather than remove it altogether they found a really clever and effective way to make it fair, deep, and interesting without removing any fun. They also added a little bit of jank in to gannon, with his float, but they were a little too careful with it imo. I think for it to be the most, the iasa should be a little sooner.

Basically, here's the point. There's gonna be people complaining about everything. It's the PMDT's job to find out what there is a general consensus about and filter out the random salt, and also note who the better and more intelligent players are complaing about. Then, they have to find a way to fix those characters without making moves that are boring for either player.

BTW, here's why you want it in the middle.

****ing jank BS: Fun for the user, not fun to play against.

boring normalized bs: very boring for the user, neither boring nor fun to play against

bs just like momma used to make: less fun than ****ing jank bs for the user, but still fun, and really fun to play against.

For instance, I think diddy is in that perfect range of jank right now, because his projectiles are still really BS, but there's also really good counterplay to them. His moves are all REALLY good, but they almost all have some sort of weakness (usually either end lag or multihit)
You deserve a gold medal for this post

Last edited:

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
So out of curiousity, is there a general concensus on at least a few of the characters for a tier list. Since 3.6 is coming between now and 20xx, no one really wants to host a large scale tourney only to fall near the release date. It would be nice to be able to play some of the "problematic characters" before they get the pit treatment.

Last edited:

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
So out of curiousity, is there a general concensus on at least a few of the characters for a tier list. Since 3.6 is coming between now and 20xx, no one really wants to host a large scale tourney only to fall near the release date. It would be nice to be able to play some of the "problematic characters" before they get the pit treatment.
No one is getting the "Pit" treatment XD lol. 3.5 is where all major nerfs happened, from here on most changes should be minor

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Two very different "treatments". Pit got nerfed to hell; while Zelda and ZSS were drastically altered they didn't suffer as much (if at all, depending on which character and who you ask) in terms of performance relative to their peers.

Last edited:

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
With zelda and zss, they went slightly in the wrong direction, enough so to take the identity of the character away, but at least their core remained. With pit, they put him on a whipping post said your name is tobi boy and proceeded to strike his toolset with reckless abandon.

Pretty sure 3.6 is being delayed cause trying to agree on balance always seems to create at least 1 over compensated character for the meta, and 1 olimar.
I think the balance will be there, I just hope a few of the bugs are gone. Tired of banana glitches and auto grab release on start of command throw.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I'm excited for Squirtle buffs. I simply can't imagine what they would nerf that is actually important (outside of shell shift, in which case I would probably get super pissed again like I did last patch notes when I saw QAC2 was removed...). Would love some throw buffs to make things like f throw rhus up smash more lenient (because that would be fricken amazing). Ah well, at least nobody understands my character so I can jank them out all 4 stocks every game...

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
zss is chill idk why yall are saying she's bad

pit is also chill

the only bad character in this patch is fox and that's cuz he's too gud
No there are definitely a handful of other characters who need slight adjustments to make the way the interact a little less silly
Being on the receiving end of claims of fraudulency isn't fun, I want ROB to get a faster falling speed so people will stop ******** when they can't combo me

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I'm gonna go against everything this thread stands for, and post what I speculate the tier list looks like for this game.

I'm sure most people (who know how wack I am) expect some wacky shiz in my list.
So here's my wacky list.

Stand-Outs are peeps that are... really good and probably could fit in the next tier.
Bulk of a tier are only in rough order.
Barely-Ins are peeps that I think barely fit in that place, or fit there for weird reasons.

4 Tiers

Higher
:wolf::mewtwopm::lucas::yoshi2::mario2::luigi2::fox::diddy::lucario::pikachu2:
Higher Mid
:toonlink::sonic::ike::falcon::roypm::peach::rob::sheik::falco::metaknight:
Lower Mid
:zerosuitsamus::samus2::squirtle::ness2::marth::pit::snake::wario::link2::gw:
Lower
:kirby2::ganondorf::charizard::popo::dk2::bowser2::zelda::olimar::jigglypuff::ivysaur:
Ooze
:dedede:

Higher Tier

Stand-Outs
#1 Wolf :wolf:
He finally gets it. He's always been in my top 5, since the dawn of the cosmos, but he finally did it.
Not because of the nerfs to Lucas and Mewtwo and etc, but because the only thing I ever think about when playing him is how good he is. How every comment about him when I'm playing him is along the lines of 'wow, you're so precise with him' but never realizing it myself because it's so easy to be precise with a character that can so easily send anyone, anywhere, at any time, because you're just such a dang good character.

#2 Mewtwo :mewtwopm:
He was my 2 behind Lucas straight upon introduction to the game, but now is my 2 behind Wolf in 3.5.
I don't think anyone has a good idea about how good this character actually is. As far as his development goes, most of what I consider his BnB go-to playstyle was never even a thing in 3.0 even when he was very popular in the mainstream. Now that the easy-route was stripped, what's underneath should eventually come to the surface, and I'm stoked to see if people can deal with it on larger scales, because I don't know how most will.

Bulk
#3-8
:lucas:Lucas is kind of in the same boat as Mewtwo, where everything I do, I know there's more to it than I can see. Due to his much poorer off-stage game in 3.5, he's at least a lot less forgiving in some aspect of his game. Overall, I think Lucas might be the 2nd most difficult character to play in the game, maybe the most difficult, and it'll be a long while before his game is even close to matching others in the cast.
:yoshi2:Yoshi is the most linear of all of this Higher Tier in terms of game-plan, in the sense that he can't apply TOO many different methods of approaching the many match-ups in the game to make them work. Instead, his core methods are so solid that whatever little of them he CAN actually use in a match-up, it's basically always enough, or more than enough. I don't see Yoshi game-play getting anything but more unbreakable, even through his quirkiness.
:mario2:Mario is solid. So simple in terms of what he CAN do, but so dynamic in application of those methods. He's like a Yoshi in this sense, but more unbreakable-branching-to-quirks to win all of his match-ups, rather than quirky-and-developing-unbreakability. He'll be one of the strongest fortresses in the game forever.
:luigi2:Luigi has always been in my top 10, but this is probably the highest I've seriously placed him. He's always considered staight-up bad in the mainstream, unlike Wolf/Yoshi/etc, who are usually just considered unknown. For some reason he's under the radar, but I don't see him staying there forever. There are hardly any glimpses of him becoming a force, but it shouldn't take someone much time to see that there's something to him. Something dangerous.
:fox:Fox for obvious reasons is a beast. This is the highest I've ever placed him in a PM Tier List before, and I think that's probably still lower than anyone would ever put him. He can do everything, is essentially what most people consider the most 'free' character in Smash, in the sense that you can do anything you want and it's effective, fun, flexible, and generally everything in the game is manageable with him. Obvious top-end contender.
:diddy:Diddy is solid in a similar way to Mario, but with more interactive methods. He's less of a fortress that the opponent has to break down, and takes more of the role of breaking down an opponents fortress. He joins those ranks as being in the solid-crew, and will always be around and functional in the top-end of the game. I (still, since his intro to PM) consider Banana-Dashing (DDing with a nana) to be the strongest neutral position in the game.

Barely-Ins
#9 Lucario :lucario:
He falls into the category of quirky characters that will slowly become more and more stable.
As people are flushing out most of his quirks and basic interactive game, he'll eventually need to solidify into being stable and untouchable. Next to Banana-Dashing, Lucario with an Aura Charge is a neutral position that I consider one of the strongest in the game too. I don't see him going anywhere below the middle of the cast because of this and the punish game he can work, but he might not fit in with the cream of the crop.

#10 Pikachu :pikachu2:
The most difficult character to play in Melee, is only a little less difficult to play in PM.
He gets a lot of hate the way Peach/Luigi/others do, as if he's bad, but a character that was widely considered one of few that could go toe-to-toe with both Mewtwo and Fox in 3.0 can NOT be THAT bad. Fox may hit some fast buttons for a string, but with Pika it's not just precision and accuracy that count, given a choice between options can end stocks or lose them. Naturally it makes sense that he gets no free-wins, and everybody expects SOME free-wins.

Higher Mid Tier

Stand-Outs
#11 Toon Link :toonlink:
In every version of the game, I've found him to be one of the easiest to pick up and rock with.
He's complex in his maneuvers and ways to apply everything he has, yet it's all based on a foundation of the same stuff, flowing together smoothly. He also doesn't have much when it comes to weaknesses that he needs to cover, given his core game-plan essentially keeps him in control of the pace of the game. He dictates things just by playing his game the only way he really needs to play it. He can auto-pilot and almost keep up with the best of them.

#12 Sonic :sonic:
This is the lowest I've ever put Sonic in any patch ever, and I absolutely love him here.
He feels like a somewhat normal character, while still feeling like Sonic. Not nearly as much quirky junk in the foundation of his core game-plan, but it's still there to add to his already solid set of tools and speed. After discussing the benefits of doing this multiple patches ago, then it happening, and happening so well, I'm really happy with him and stoked for the game to develop with play. Again, I don't think many know how good he really is.

Bulk

#13-18
:ike:Ike was held down by pace-control more than possibly anyone in the game in 3.0, and with all of that basically being the target of the nerf-bat more than anything else, he was let loose and there's very little keeping him under wraps at this point. With some key speed and range tools, and the ability to be threatening from nearly anywhere WITH those tools, he's one of the few left who I would say is still a little 'too' jank for the game.
:falcon:Falcon is very much in the same boat as Ike, where pace-control was a bit of an issue but in a very different way. There's been nothing additional to the PM game overall that is worse than anything he had to face in Melee, and this is very unlike almost anyone else coming from Melee. This expanding-without-greater-burdens gives him an edge in the game when it comes to cast-wide match-ups, the niche that hurts him is very little.
:roypm:Roy is in the solid-crew with Mario/Diddy/TL/etc, in the sense that there's really not much for weaknesses to cover, his general game-plan is flexible and universal, and basically... Roy. Just. Works. He's been this way since introduction, and unlike the pace-controlling aspects that other solid-crew have, he never had much of his own. So the nerf to that pace-control side of the game has allowed him to move more freely up the Tiers.
:peach:Peach is in the batch of characters that everyone has argued against me, saying she's bad. I still don't see how she can be anything less that a beast that has a niche of things that hurt her, which is maybe slightly bigger than the hurts-Falcon niche, but not entirely unmanageable. Any character that can cover themselves almost indefinitely in-combat is good. She's STILL the Queen of Amoeba Hitboxes.
:rob:ROB was much like Ike, where pace-control was a major annoyance and held him back. If he could control the pace of a match, and be free to fly around, basically swatting the fly-swatters and catching the fly-catchers, he would be fine. Sure enough, most of the key elements of the game that didn't allow him to do this were mostly toned down. He's solid and annoying, and there's very little that can annoy him back anymore.
:sheik:Sheik is still Queen of Stale-Mating the Neutral Game, just as much as ever. She's as glass-cannon as it gets, but that clobber-faces or get-clobbered game-plan works much better for her on a universal level than most other game-plans go for other characters. She needs to seriously adjust to deal with things thrown at her, but she can deal with anything. Characters like Kirby might be the ultimate specific-fly-traps, but she's the well-rounded one.

Barely-Ins
#19 Falco :falco:
He's always been about half-way on my lists, but I think I'm finally actually agreeing with myself.
I never really knew what to expect from how much his game would change over a larger cast and more quirky characters and janky tools, but figured he would stay somewhere solidly near the middle. Likely dealing with some very well, and not dealing with others very well, but always falling somewhere into even-ish match-ups because Falco is simply just very capable as a character even if he CAN'T lock-down and play his game. That is indeed happening.

#20 Metaknight :metaknight:
Poor guy was a Top 5 on my list for 3.0, but I never knew how much his key moves were the reason they were gone.
He's ridiculously fast and carries all of the tools he needs to win any match-up, but he has to work for them. Nothing is free after some initial hits he can get in neutral. Rather than stale-mating neutral and winning through simply having consistently better neutral and pressure tools at all times, the way Sheik can, he has beast tools that he has to figure out how to pressure with. Always enough to deal with anything, but anyone can deal with it too.

Lower Mid Tier

Stand-Outs
#21 Zero Suit Samus :zerosuitsamus:
I was reluctant to put her this low, because she really is more solid, but that's not always good.
This is the lowest I've ever put her, and a lot of it has to do with how normalization alters a character in the context of game-play. Aside from being fun because of quirkiness, being quirky allowed her to play HER game, despite some counter-play and hindrances from it, she still forced opponents to play that counter-play and play to her weaknesses. Now, the need to play a certain way against her has be swapped for stability, which is fine.

#22 Samus :samus2:
Similar to both ZSS and MK for my reasons of her being here, she's somehow still in the same place.
Similar to ZSS in the sense that normalization hurt in exchange for stability. Similar to MK, meaning I took his D-Air and cheese for granted, but underestimated his core-game. In the same way, I took her Z-Air for granted (one of the most OP moves in Smash history) but underestimated how good she was underneath. I had her in the Top 10 in 3.0, so she's still not as good as her Z-Air version, but she's better than I thought she would be with that gone.

Bulk
#23-28
:squirtle:Squirtle is small and fast and hits hard and has decent range and basically is just really solid, so he can't ever be counted out. Aside from being very quirky in more ways than most of the cast, he still functions well in a straight-forward way. As his game-development transitions to more stable play, once all the novelty and junk has been flushed out, I expect him to be a force that you can't take your eyes off of even for a moment.
:ness2:Ness is a beast and offensive force that's nearly unmatched in the game. If stale-mating the neutral game can be played with to his favor, he'll easily start challenging Sheik for the title-holder. Given the way his neutral and pressure tools work so smoothly into finishes, his game leaning more to the stability side will only keep benefiting him, and that's the direction the entire game is bound to go with time.
:marth:Marth is one of the most affected Melee characters when it comes to diversity in cast, but not in any way that completely destroys him out of the competition. His game-plan is still the same, and still as functional and universal as ever. If a character can't develop enough neutral-breaking game or neutral-trapping game, than Marth will tear them apart, and that's bound to happen given how steady he can chip away at positioning.
:pit:Pit is like a Marth that leans more on the neutral pressure side of it. He was the nearest challenge to get the Stale-Mate Master title in 3.0, but now it's a little more challenging to convert that into finishes the way Ness can, and was turned to be more like Sheiks game-plan. This essentially makes him more position-chipping version of a stale-mate character given his speed and range playing more of a factor than ever.
:snake:Snake has a cool niche, never really threatening the opponent in a way that PREVENTS them from acting a certain way, like a lock-down character, but he does it in a way that makes them WANT to act to act a certain way. This allows him to control a game from what's basically a threat-level type of position instead of directly. If he can pace-control a match this way, then he's as good as it gets, if not, then he'll hurt. Glass-cannon of sorts.
:wario:Wario always makes me forget how good he is until I play him. He's fast, hits hard, has the free-stuff in droves, IF you can get it. He can get it. Aside from some basic tools that might hurt him more than others, there's not really a counter-play that can be applied to deal with him that he can't adjust to and plow right through in some way. There's really nothing that he can't adapt to, and at the same time, he forces others to adapt by nature of it.

Barely-Ins
#29 Link :link2:
There's no character that fits more crappy and vague explanations than this noob-slaying zoner.
He's slow, at least. Otherwise, he has pace-control in various ways for various things, free-stuff in the form of everything from initial hits to continuous strings, and a mix of tools for pressure and positioning that are mildly obnoxious to get around and not get hurt by. Playing him, it really feels like not ALL of it comes into play at once, so he can't break the game entirely, but it really feels like it SHOULD break the game sometimes.

#30 Game & Watch :gw:
I used to think he was way too good in older patches, then thought he was quite bad in the latest patches.
Now I think he's both at the same time. Throughout the versions, I played a completely different game than anyone else I'd seen in the mainstream. People would spam bacon, or play an aerial spacing game, or a DD game, I'd think it was all silly. I'd just hit people with a weird Turtle/UpB/Bacon repetition combo into free wins and wondered why others didn't. Then figured if someone did ALL of those, it'd be sexy, and that's totally starting to happen already.

Lower Tier

Stand-Outs
#31 Kirby :kirby2:
He's probably the best in the game or something. That dash and those feet and those jumps, deceptive.
With some of the most ridiculous semi-combos and zoning and pressuring options the game could offer a single character, it makes him feel like I'm a troll by simply playing him. All of his tools are so solid that it's a little tricky to see just how well they all mesh together, because the way he flows together is very dry and blunt, which makes it both effective and diverse within its simplicity. He'll always be an annoyance, every move is, really.

#32 Ganondorf :ganondorf:
He could always take space and corner people, but he can finally actually get hits when he does.
No matter how much work he would put in, it was never really threatening to be in a bad spot when facing a Ganon because of how limited he was when he actually gained anything through actual well-played Smash. With new tools that allow him to have some form of mix-up and close-combat decision making options, he can actually finish the job now. This is the first time I've ever considered Ganon to be a real contender, and it's great.

Bulk
#33-38
:charizard:Charizard has a sweet play-style that is probably more of an acquired taste than I give credit to. Bulky and clunky while still fast and flexible, with a good mix of speed and range that makes a great start, and fairly easy leads into solid finishing. Aside from some pace-control of various kinds, usually in the form of traps and neutral stale-mating, he can get through almost anything. Almost, is the key word there.
:popo:Ice Climbers in PM are so fun. I wish I could take them into Melee and 64 and play them there. They feel soft in terms of how much of an impact they have on forcing the opponent to adjust to them, and playing them almost makes everything feel like a challenge. Which I like, because they're very capable in this same way. It's not the character forcing the opponent to adjust to them, but they allow the player to make that happen through game-play. It's proper.
:dk2:Donkey Kong is probably the most linear character in the game when it comes to game-play, and that's usually a hinderance if it isn't something that's very universally solid and very stable. Fortunately, he has some of the most foundational utilities in the game to make it work. Despite so few quirks, his simple-game is probably the most effective simple-game you could have in Smash. Outside of some niches, he's never out of a game.
:bowser2:Bowser is crazy. How hard he hits for what often can seem effortless is just off-the-wall bonkers. A single play, which can catch even the best player on anything from a random guess to an attempted read, can change the entire pace of a match and flow of a game. He's threatening, and deceptive, and even when the counter-play is worked out, unless it's a niche match-up, he's too quirky as a character in general to completely shut him out of a game.
:zelda:Zelda is an offensive force that uses defense as the best offense. She's a very interesting character, and I wouldn't be surprised to see her in the finals of finals of major events due to how much of a different game she brings to the table, and how little of a mistake needs to be made for her to get more free-stuff than most characters in the game, and how little she has to do to threaten the opponent into making a miss-play that they can easily fall for.
:olimar:Olimar still feels like he belongs in a different game, but only after realizing that he has a single game-plan that seemingly makes all of his other game-plans obsolete. His close-combat game is solid, but the thing that really sets him apart is how he can work the neutral game in a way to make his close-combat game actually come into play. I'm stoked to see how this plays out long-term, because I think he'll be a very exciting character when flushed out.

Barely-Ins
#39 Jigglypuff :jigglypuff:
She's a beast in Melee, and is hurt more than most in the transition, but she's still a beast.
It's amazing how good every character in this game is, and how Puff STILL keeps up with the best of them. If she just plays her normal game, a slight adjustment to being more offensive deals with a big chunk of the cast, and a bit more defensive deals with another chunk. She's still in a weird niche, and one that isn't difficult to deal with, but that game-plan and quirkiness that she brings are still a foundation that can develop and adjust to any mold.

#40 Ivysaur :ivysaur:
This is probably a surprise to basically everyone, even me really, but this is what I'm going with.
There are very few match-ups in the game that I think she straight-up wins, but those that she wins, she wins quite hard. Otherwise, I think almost everyone else has a slight edge on her. I think most of the even-ish match-ups, the nuances will work out in a way that what she brings to the game will be quite manageable by the opponent, and she won't be able to deal their adjustments as functionally to match how well they can manage how she adjusts. Barely losing those match-ups, if at all.

Ooze Tier
#41 Ooze :dedede:

One thing I noticed when doing this...

This list looks VERY similar to almost all of my lists for patches 2.1 through 3.0.
It seems that the core game-play concept/plan/methods of a character play a much greater factor than the COMPONENTS of that concept/plan/method of game-play.
So unless it's something like Wario losing his crouch-out-of-shoulder-bash, or Ganon gaining a Hover, if the thing was only an improvement or adjustment to existing traits that the character could use too well/not well enough (Kirby Inhales or Charizard Glides), it didn't really have much of an impact on how much better or worse I thought the character was over the patches.
Some major changes to components (Pit in 3.5 vs 3.0 for example) weren't really just adjustments of traits, but that was essentially the removal of a combo-starter (D-Throw) and pressure/combo tool (Glides) that basically is the equivalent of a complete removal of a core-move.

Mostly, it's these 'core' things that make the difference. Only core things in this sense though. A change in play-style (ZSS, Diddy, Sonic, etc) never really made a difference in tier placement, even when it was 'core' elements that were adjusted.
Adjustments and removals/additions are very different, both in components, and functionality.
Cool.

IMO
FACES

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
You might have just set a record high for words-typed to meaningful-content, Nausicaa
That's really saying something, even just for this thread
Congratulations

Last edited:

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
@ Nausicaa Nausicaa Mario,Luigi,Yoshi,Lucas,pika top tier?.....kek.

you've grossly over estimated the potental of these characters while (just as grossly) underestimating other characters. for example.

Characters that ****s on some of the characters i mentioned. Peach, Marth(maybe not yoshi, but his MU spread is way to good to be be mid or low mid), Falcon, Roy(ik for a fact the mario brothers suffer against swordies).

you've also really underestimated ganon if you think he is low tier. With good movement and simple reads ganon is a problem(especially if the indviduals playstyle premotes good stage control). Would definetly put as mid or mid high.

Same goes with falco even though he still kinda sucks in PM IMHO. Melee players still make this character look great though.

TBH if you just switched around some people your list would be fine(or at least justifiable). Like if you switch mario and luigi > falcon and roy.
Yoshi > Marth
Lucas and falco
Put pika in low mid(sorry anther's placement at one major doesnt cut it imo; not tryna take shots at ppl though.)
Maybe put TL in top tier he just has so much good going for him(Links tools + good speed + plus kill of throw + he can leave combos kinda early = really good character)

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
Yeah, don't want to hate on people actually discussing, but... @ Nausicaa Nausicaa , I have never seen someone say so little with so much... I'm not even going to mention most of the seriously questionable placements, but let me just abridge all of your descriptions.

#1 Wolf :wolf:
I always thought he was good, but now I think he's really good because people say I'm good when I play him but I'm not lol.

#2 Mewtwo :mewtwopm:
He was number two on my last list, and my super OP yet completely unexplained playstyle with him that is much better than any current playstyles isn't being used yet.

#3-8
:lucas:
I put this character really high last patch but he got nerfed so he's slightly lower. He's also really hard to play.

:yoshi2:
Yoshi is really linear but his line is really thick and meaty yet he is also really quirky.

:mario2:
Mario does things in ways.

:luigi2:
Apparently being upper mid in just about every tier list and high on some means he's straight up bad in the main stream, but I think he'll be good.

:fox:
Fox is really good at everything, is flexible and can manage everything. Therefore #7
:diddy:
Diddy also does things in ways and something about fortresses? Also, unlike scissors, you always want to run with bananas.

Barely-Ins
#9 Lucario :lucario:
Lucario with aura is the best neutral next to diddy with banana and has a really good punish game too but other characters are better because

(closest thing to an argument for a character's tier I've seen thusfar)

He's good because he's really hard to play and that's why he isn't popular. No one plays characters that don't win for free

(at this point I decided 40 characters is a lot and I don't have that much satire in my body, so let's just skip around.)

#19 Falco :falco:
I always put him in the middle, but for once, I actually agree with my own opinion. I didn't know how he would deal with teh PM janks but I thought he'd be middle and he's middle.

#21 Zero Suit Samus :zerosuitsamus:
She was normalized, but apparently that keeps her form having to play a certain way, but she's bad but that's fine.

#41 Ooze :dedede:

This character is OBVIOUSLY SO BAD THAT HE DOESN'T EVEN WARRANT A DESCRIPTION DESPITE EVERYTHING.

I mean... sigh. Your list would have better had you not even written the descriptions. There is next to no discussion about any matchups, strengths, weaknesses, relation to the meta or ANYTHING. Almost all of the post is just stating that you are biased in some way and then stating a thing they do or don't do. Your descriptions also have next to no correlation to the actual rankings. I mean, Lucas was at #3 but you only had negative things to say about him, yet you had jigglypuff at #39 and had nothing but good things to say about her.

I mean... it's look like you spent time on it but....

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
Just realized his list was numbered. Omg this is bad, but not horrible. If it wasnt numbered this list would just need a tweak or two.

He's good because he's really hard to play and that's why he isn't popular. No one plays characters that don't win for free

(at this point I decided 40 characters is a lot and I don't have that much satire in my body, so let's just skip around.)
this killed me way more than it should have. quote of the year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom