• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

The_NZA

Smash Lord
probably 'cause they've been doing a questionable job at best
Last patch was actually extremely well balanced below the top 10 and above the bottom 4. At Smashing Grounds, we were lucky to have a lot of players play characters other than Mewtwo, Lucas, Pit, and Diddy and we saw first place constantly rotate around between a ton of characters.

As for your comment Professor Pro, one game =/= my entire play. Especially against a character who escapes the entirety of my punish game. All you are doing is some variant of "your just bad get gud", which is honestly really disappointing to hear from you. I love how you will defend every Snake design choice because you believe he is stuck in neutral without them, but you blatantly refuse to hear the possibility that Ness may not have a kit well equipped at competing with other players when they are playing what you consider to be "smash".

_Chrome

Smash Ace
What do people think about giving Ness his SSB64 rolls or dash speed? Would it be OP, or would it be fine? I personally like 3.5 Ness, but do you think this would make him more balanced or a more braindead, less intelligence-based character to use?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
here's a fact, ness has tools to be fine in neutral. Pro is probably the same as me in that I can play against a character and analyze their neutral pretty fast. even if opponents don't do something in neutral, we think "X option would be good here or _ would be a good mix up"

D

Deleted member

As for your comment Professor Pro, one game =/= my entire play. Especially against a character who escapes the entirety of my punish game. All you are doing is some variant of "your just bad get gud", which is honestly really disappointing to hear from you. I love how you will defend every Snake design choice because you believe he is stuck in neutral without them, but you blatantly refuse to hear the possibility that Ness may not have a kit well equipped at competing with other players when they are playing what you consider to be "smash".

The_NZA

Smash Lord
"last patch was really balanced if you don't include all the unbalanced guys"
I mean, having 26-30 balanced characters is pretty good. If they had toned down the top 10 characters (or even just the top 5) and bumped up Jiggs/Ganon/ICs, the game would have had really good balance. They've admittedly changed the tempo of hte game for the better, but acting like having 41 pretty well balanced characters is an impossibility is being disingenuous. We were pretty much on the precipice of having that in 3.02, with just a handful of tweaks. It can happen again.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Last patch was actually extremely well balanced below the top 10 and above the bottom 4. At Smashing Grounds, we were lucky to have a lot of players play characters other than Mewtwo, Lucas, Pit, and Diddy and we saw first place constantly rotate around between a ton of characters.

Ok, can you show me another game then of you playing that you feel represents you doing good and still getting punished for Ness's flaws?

Why would it be disappointing to hear from me that I don't feel like you're playing well or utilizing your character to it's best ability, would you say you're even close to optimizing your character and gameplay?
Characters flaws/strengths are brought to light at it's best when someone has optimized their character, something which from what I saw was clearly not the case, and I'm not even trying to offend you, I'm just being honest.

I'm not refusing to hear the possibility of Ness not being equipped, BUTTT at the end of the day I don't care that much about hearing it either, I like seeing footage which is what counts to me.
I care about mostly about seeing gameplay instead of talking gameplay, and the game play I saw reeks of PK Fire dependency.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Ok, can you show me another game then of you playing that you feel represents you doing good and still getting punished for Ness's flaws?

Why would it be disappointing to hear from me that I don't feel like you're playing well or utilizing your character to it's best ability, would you say you're even close to optimizing your character and gameplay?
Characters flaws/strengths are brought to light at it's best when someone has optimized their character, something which from what I saw was clearly not the case, and I'm not even trying to offend you, I'm just being honest.

I'm not refusing to hear the possibility of Ness not being equipped, BUTTT at the end of the day I don't care that much about hearing it either, I like seeing footage which is what counts to me.
I care about mostly about seeing gameplay instead of talking gameplay, and the game play I saw reeks of PK Fire dependency.
I'll try and get back here with more footage as I get some. I only played two stream games last Thursday, with under 1 hour of play. We can sync up here later and you can give me some tips if I'm still struggling.

My disappointment was in reference to your desire to put me down rather than offering me solutions...I think of you pretty highly as a player and always root for you. You want to think the players you like will root for you and your improvement rather than tear you down is all.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
My disappointment was in reference to your desire to put me down rather than offering me solutions...I think of you pretty highly as a player and always root for you. You want to think the players you like will root for you and your improvement rather than tear you down is all.
That's the best though. I love when good players tear me down. You have to be in love with the process of becoming great.

Even better when top players go around the venue johning about your character, and discussing what CPs to use against you. As if you can't hear them. :004:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I'll try and get back here with more footage as I get some. I only played two stream games last Thursday, with under 1 hour of play. We can sync up here later and you can give me some tips if I'm still struggling.

Criticism can be harsh as well as constructive, man. Harsh criticism is sometimes the best criticism, too often people are unwilling to listen and need to be told they're ****ing up.

On-topic: Meta Knight is still easily top 10, but holy crap that Fox MU. Totally lose that now.

D

Deleted member

If you took what he said as "cutting you down", I feel you missed the point entirely, NZA.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Criticism can be harsh as well as constructive, man. Harsh criticism is sometimes the best criticism, too often people are unwilling to listen and need to be told they're ****ing up.

On-topic: Meta Knight is still easily top 10, but holy crap that Fox MU. Totally lose that now.
You really think he's top 10 still? After playing him for a little while I felt he was at least at little lower than that. I guess I'll have to wait to see a good player do well with him.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
You really think he's top 10 still? After playing him for a little while I felt he was at least at little lower than that. I guess I'll have to wait to see a good player do well with him.
I'm willing to consider I might be wrong, but Meta Knight's playstyle I get. They took the Sheik away but he's a good Marth/Jiggs in a game where intercepting recoveries is on the whole more reasonable, even minus a jump and glide. His vertical recovery definitely took a hit, but he's got a good neutral on-stage and a commanding presence at the ledge so he can either prevent you from coming back, or make you come back unsafely and keep throwing you off until you don't.

So yeah, still top 10, maybe even higher.

Boiko

:drshrug:
I'm willing to consider I might be wrong, but Meta Knight's playstyle I get. They took the Sheik away but he's a good Marth/Jiggs in a game where intercepting recoveries is on the whole more reasonable, even minus a jump and glide. His vertical recovery definitely took a hit, but he's got a good neutral on-stage and a commanding presence at the ledge so he can either prevent you from coming back, or make you come back unsafely and keep throwing you off until you don't.

So yeah, still top 10, maybe even higher.
Interesting. Definitely makes sense.
I guess we'll see how the meta develops.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Actually leaning on Ike being top 10 ATM, at least until the meta for nerfed characters develops.
He's just in a better environment for him, doesn't have anything janky though.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
Personally, I believe Samus is the strongest character this format. The other one I know for sure is Fox, and unfortunately I won't get to know much more in a month when I come home from school after my exams are done. But IMO Ike is very strong.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
lucas is still silly

sonic has been nerfed into oblivion

ddd is still a character focused almost only around grab and fair

fox is still gahike

the more things change the more they stay the same

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Lucas does run faster than Ness for some reason. It's weird because it's almost like Ness is supposed to play a dash dance heavy up close game but doesn't have the speed to back it up. Lucas' projectile also doesn't force him into a bad spot if he wants to use it.

@ Professor Pro Professor Pro

Snake barely has a slower run speed than Ness but a similar (to 3.02 PKF) but less continual shield pressure projectile that can be done with much less commitment and has more versatility. He also has a tranquilizer which allows for hard punishing options as well as a DACUS to follow up if the percent is too low/mashed out too quickly.

I'm not sure why I'm comparing Snake and Ness' neutral but I find it weird that a character with a barely quicker ground speed (albeit airburst speed is pretty amazing but even then it's pretty risky) lost an amazing neutral option but didn't gain anything to help neutral back (granted it's polarizing and bad for Ness' design).

You know what? I'm not even sure what I'm really trying to say but looking back I'm reminded that Snake's Up Throw wasn't changed, why was this? It allows CG's into "Sticky" on a good portion of the cast but still kills ~Marth Up Throw Kill % (LolreferencingMarth'sUpthrowasakilloption).

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Bair and Ftilt say hi
okay yes my post was a p large simplification and yes you can add those two to the list of things ddd does

anyway, ddd uses all or most of his moves, but his strategy is flowcharty. everything revolves around some shffled aerial to grab to chaingrab/fair in an attempt to get his opponent offstage where ddd just uses fair/bair for edgeguarding.
I mean this is still an oversimplification but DDD JUST CAN'T DO THINGS like other characters can

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Lucas does run faster than Ness for some reason. It's weird because it's almost like Ness is supposed to play a dash dance heavy up close game but doesn't have the speed to back it up. Lucas' projectile also doesn't force him into a bad spot if he wants to use it.

@ Professor Pro Professor Pro

Snake barely has a slower run speed than Ness but a similar (to 3.02 PKF) but less continual shield pressure projectile that can be done with much less commitment and has more versatility. He also has a tranquilizer which allows for hard punishing options as well as a DACUS to follow up if the percent is too low/mashed out too quickly.

I'm not sure why I'm comparing Snake and Ness' neutral but I find it weird that a character with a barely quicker ground speed (albeit airburst speed is pretty amazing but even then it's pretty risky) lost an amazing neutral option but didn't gain anything to help neutral back (granted it's polarizing and bad for Ness' design).

You know what? I'm not even sure what I'm really trying to say but looking back I'm reminded that Snake's Up Throw wasn't changed, why was this? It allows CG's into "Sticky" on a good portion of the cast but still kills ~Marth Up Throw Kill % (LolreferencingMarth'sUpthrowasakilloption).
Snake's Uthrow was affected by the universal change to throw release points.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Yeah, if you are killing with Marth upthrow, you reaaaaaaaaly messed up to get to that point.

D

Deleted member

if marth upthrow killed at 100 i would make dozens of players quit for fun

Darkevilprice995

Smash Cadet
Anyone willing to make a full roster tier list based on theory/early testing? I'm in the mood to read one, and it would probably present a lot of characters worth discussing.

didds

Smash Lord
Squirtle Samus is like 80-20 in Squirtle's favor.
He doesn't have a mu worse than 65-35 in his favor out of the entire cast.
He even beats himself 70-30.
I've been reading books about it.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Anyone willing to make a full roster tier list based on theory/early testing? I'm in the mood to read one, and it would probably present a lot of characters worth discussing.
Well. Since you asked. Here's a totally bad one that should be taken with a pretty heft amount of salt.

Lines aren't ordered and bigger gaps between the lines means bigger differences and blah blah blah.

:fox::wolf:

:ike::metaknight::sheik::samus2::mario2::falco:

:zerosuitsamus::link2::toonlink::squirtle::snake::wario::diddy::mewtwopm::roypm::marth::falcon::charizard::dedede::lucas::pit::peach:
:ganondorf::luigi2::lucario::yoshi2::zelda::bowser2::dk2::ivysaur::kirby2::ness2::gw::pikachu2::ness2:
:jigglypuff::sonic::olimar::rob::popo:

Restating for emphasis. Don't take this to seriously. Made out of boredom and because someone asked and was made only a few days after 3.5 release. So it's gonna be bad.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
:fox::sheik::marth::wolf::falcon::samus2::mario2::peach::falco:
:dk2::wario::mewtwopm::gw::roypm::squirtle::ike::lucario::diddy:

This list is complete guess so don't make me dwell on it all night lol. Just general top 2 tiers.

Last edited:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
PM's neutral isnt terribly difficult, would definitely try to push your characters tools before writing them off too early.

So as it turns out, everyone quit pika. Here's his obituatry:
Juushichi said:
tbf whatever someone said about toning down burst movement and ect was more or less what we wanted to shoot for. it's why things like why MK no longer has his 3.02 dair or goes into special fall out of down b, part of the reason why just about all stats on GnW DACUS/Up Smash got nerfed, why Wolf has more endlag on Dash attack, Ike got the nerfs he did to QD (not enough imo), why Mewtwo is the way he is, why Sonic is the way he is and more.

I understand that people are disappointed and are asking "why when this isn't even ___?", but changes generally happen holistically. There was certainly a fear that Pika's ability to zip around the stage, circumvent positional advantage, close space and more would be too strong of an option for this version with everything done to other characters. As a dev we have to think about these things when abused to their potential. Anther certainly brought the most nuanced and maybe practical application of the technique in the earlier version, but the amount of flexibility that it brought was too much in our opinion.

I know Pika players are tired of hearing the whole song and dance about how strong his gimp options and more are, but that is a strength of the character. Some or most of his worst matchups have been nerfed in a significant way (Mario not being able to 0TD Pika with d-throw is certainly one + fireball changes), recoveries accross the board have been nerfed. These are some of the things that go into the conversation.

I think it's unfortunate that players feel like they lost a lot of flavor and individuality in Pikachu and are dropping him. I feel like in reference to the cast, this is the strongest version of the character that there has been to date for Pika.
Hearing this and other explanations hasn't alleviated anything, its only made me question the strong support I provide to this game at all especially offline. Taking a lot to not trash on this build to friends, in SoCal, and where I currently live as people are already upset, so please dont identify me as some hater hell bent on making PM look like garbage at least I restrict all of my distaste to two threads.

Strongest iteration in reference to the cast? lmao! I just had a long session of 3.5 tonight, and I can confidently say Im dropping this character hard as others have. My friend, who is also a strong competent pikachu main, has also dropped him. ESAM has dropped him, TKBreezy has dropped him, and I wouldnt be surprised if Axe just uses falco now. And theyre all completely right to do so. Recoveries are still way too good in this game for pikachu to have had any meaningful improvement with these mechanics, and you want to call this his strength? rofl

What gets me is that plenty of outstanding and intelligent pikachu mains have used QAC for six years and theyre now believing that it has some unlocked potential that's unfair? You make it sound as if Anther wasn't already an expert at this when it was added to PM and its potential already near its peak. Sounds like some BS to me. Fast movement, including burst movement, is pikachu's shtick along with his strong offstage game. It's a quality he has in every smash game and makes pikachu a fun character to play. Both you and Sethlon need to stop pretending like you know what this character is supposed to be. Pikachu more then anyone else deserves burst movement. I find it more hilarious that you guys felt the need to take this out but leave in shine-like attacks, kill throws, and throws > kill moves which are actually unfair and too good and granted to a handful of characters.

Just as bad was the laggy landing they gave back to quick attack. Sethlon doesnt know **** about pikachu in melee, his recovery was massively overrated by people who didnt know what they were doing (all you needed to do was grab the ledge and then punish him however you like) and his recovery is once again equally overrated. What gets me is they returned stupid melee qualities of needing to be just above the ground for lower lag as if this tests any sort of skill, or as if the lag in 64 or Brawl prevented pikachu from being punished in reasonable ways.

I honestly wouldnt have minded some nerfs to QAC, but the idea that a single burst provides any sort of meaningful compromise would be hilarious if it werent tragic, and to me only further displays the incompetence of the PMDT. Sounded like a 10 year old came up with it when lunchables said it and gave the PMDT too much credit to think they wouldnt take such an idea seriously. And it's still on pikachu's bio on the website as if this is anything glamorous. Its gimmicky and ugly as hell now that it only has one burst and would be better off removed completely then to exist as the badly designed move it now is, at least then people could take an honest look at how bad pikachu is and give him appropriate changes.

Hope the PMDT + friends had a good laugh when I brought all this up the first two times, once again Im right about everything stated this time I didnt even need to touch the game once to figure it out.

Many players who arent hardcore solo PM-players play this game for fun and the PMDT seems hell bent on removing fun from this game.
To lazy to remove the salt infusion, Im sure you guys can look past that <4.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom