• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

MLGF

Smash Lord
I never said your opinion was invalid but saying "be rational and kill her via spacing" in the most vague explanation of how to beat a character and it literally applies to every single character in the game. Hence siiigh.
Zelda has weird hitboxes with weird durations. Being rational and using smart spacing is vital because you can't force you to play defensively, you have to play Smart offense. A lot of dash dancing, Wavedash fake outs, shield pressure, etc. Yeah sure, it sounds generic but it's because she's not some character that breaks the boundaries of the game.
If it's hard because she can Nayru's Ness' neutral game, I advise just picking up a sub to cover Ness' weaknesses. It's not like Zelda is the only rough matchup anyhow.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I feel like ness/Zelda would be fine
you can crouch under instant heels, great dd and air mobility to bait/punish naryus, can DJC aerials to clank Dins away, you could probably activate pk fire on them or absorb them if she isn't in a position to punish you
I think as long as any character has some degree of mobility and the player doesn't fall for traps and just plays smart, that Zelda is really bad. There's some mus that she most likely ****s on, and goes even with some (I think she goes even with diddy, for example, once the zelda has proper upb wavelands/agts), but most of the cast should just stomp her.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Zelda has weird hitboxes with weird durations. Being rational and using smart spacing is vital because you can't force you to play defensively, you have to play Smart offense. A lot of dash dancing, Wavedash fake outs, shield pressure, etc. Yeah sure, it sounds generic but it's because she's not some character that breaks the boundaries of the game.
If it's hard because she can Nayru's Ness' neutral game, I advise just picking up a sub to cover Ness' weaknesses. It's not like Zelda is the only rough matchup anyhow.
I feel like ness/Zelda would be fine
you can crouch under instant heels, great dd and air mobility to bait/punish naryus, can DJC aerials to clank Dins away, you could probably activate pk fire on them or absorb them if she isn't in a position to punish you
I think as long as any character has some degree of mobility and the player doesn't fall for traps and just plays smart, that Zelda is really bad. There's some mus that she most likely ****s on, and goes even with some (I think she goes even with diddy, for example, once the zelda has proper upb wavelands/agts), but most of the cast should just stomp her.
Ness has a very limited combo game against her. Zelda camping top platform is a nightmare for Ness. On a flat stage like GHZ it's very doable, but once platforms come into play, it's a lot harder.
Didn't mean to quote MLGF but uh, whatever.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
It cancels into the Double jump, but you dont have to jump, you can just do an aerial/special or waveland. Thankfully you cant do grabs, that'd be crazy. If you can QAC>aerial and hit the aerials auto cancel window, then It'd be a pretty fast way to grab/up-smash, but from messing around with it I never got anything like that to work.
In a pre-2.0 build you use to be able to QAC into instant Up-smash or Grab I'm pretty sure. Closest thing now is to go into the L-cancel Nair or whatever aerial I think and then do the action.

@Lunchables you mentioned "any point during it" but I don't think it's like that or phrased like that. You have to choose the angle into the ground in which you're gonna land, not like a MK down-b; unless I need to play Pika more

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You can cancel the up b by up b'ing into the ground, so yeah you can't just cancel it whenever but I meant that in neutral its extremely useful due to the fact that you can just hit the ground and then re-up b lol

I'm sorry guys, I'm just bad and I need to get better. I'll never be a true pm god like my idol tagxy :(

Player -0

Smash Hero
After looking back at the 3.0 changelog I saw this and never really got what it meant:
- Quick Attack's animation stretches less and his tail is now intangible during travel

Does this mean that Pika is less vulnerable during QA or does he still retain the massive hurtbox that appears during it? @Strong Bad pls

:4tlink:
Fixed.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
10/10, way to convince me that pikas QAC isn't busted by insulting me

le siiiiiiiigh
I wasnt insulting you I was stating an objective fact in relation to the argument. Must have missed those three paragraphs I wrote on the subject maybe if you were better at reading QA wouldnt be such a problem for you.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I saw it when he quoted it the first time, doesn't change my comment.
Though my last comment does contain a sick double entendre burn

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
Well, I was spot on with my prediction on how the Zelda discussion would be. Don't think about nerfing Zelda, think about reshifting her power.

Is Zelda OP? No. I don't think anyone is saying she needs nerfs.

Is lighting kick OP? Abso-****ing-lutely. Now, it's ok for characters to have moves that are significantly better than others (you know, bread and butter), but lightning kick is one of those moves that's SO good, if randomly given to a mid tier character, it could make them top tier.

The fact is, it makes no sense for a move to be THAT fast, THAT lagless THAT long ranged AND THAT powerful. It outclasses most aerials in every single category. However, here's the problem, Zelda isn't OP, so nerfing the kick would make her suck ass. Well, since she has a move THAT strong and still manages to be underwhelming, she's obviously lacking somewhere. I think it's bad design to have moves that infuriatingly powerful, so it'd be better to make her a little more well rounded.

I'm no Zelda expert, but I feel lighting kick should be made slower and laggier, but her mobility (and maybe something else) should be buffed to compensate.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I believe "You're bad" constitutes as an insult and as an overall measure of skill. and doesn't completely pertain to the current topic while "Get better" wouldn't but is an extremely flimsy argument when you can say that for every argument. Is that a fallacy? Any debater doods pls halp, Wikipedia 2hard.

I heard from Zhime that Zelda is getting totally revamped and he doesn't play this game anymore.

Edit - I've been meaning to say that also in Brawl Pika has RCO (I think is what it's called) and doesn't have a way to get to the ground really quickly after QAC'ing. Unless you perfect QA -> Drop through platform cancel thingy -> platform cancel on SV/Lylat. Also Brawl players were too busy complaining about MK.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

to be fair i think "you're bad" is less of a personal insult than "QAC doesn't help pikachu's recovery" is false.

i mean both are wrong, but the latter is more wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
I don't understand the claim that QAC is busted when it telegraphs so goddamn hard and is attached to such a terrible character. Seems like claiming Bowser's fsmash is broken because it kills Jigglypuff at 20% or whatever

But what could I possibly know about anything

Last edited:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Something can seem busted when you have a low understanding of it. See: Umbreons last comment.

Player-0: Is one's skill and knowledge in handling a game mechanic not relevant? Also I doubt RCO is what held QAC back from being broken, lol. Even if that were true, then just revert it.

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
I believe "You're bad" constitutes as an insult and as an overall measure of skill. and doesn't completely pertain to the current topic while "Get better" wouldn't but is an extremely flimsy argument when you can say that for every argument. Is that a fallacy? Any debater doods pls halp, Wikipedia 2hard.

I heard from Zhime that Zelda is getting totally revamped and he doesn't play this game anymore.

Edit - I've been meaning to say that also in Brawl Pika has RCO (I think is what it's called) and doesn't have a way to get to the ground really quickly after QAC'ing. Unless you perfect QA -> Drop through platform cancel thingy -> platform cancel on SV/Lylat. Also Brawl players were too busy complaining about MK.
If it were a debate, and you were making a point saying that your opponent isn't very good would be ad hominem (attacking your opponent rather than the points he made) and saying he needs to get better would imply he's bad, so it's the same thing.

@Umbreon and Taxgy If you can't make your points without insulting eachother, nothing will be gained from the discussion, so just stop.

@Odds bowser fsmash can kill jiggles at 0 if fully charged. Nerf now

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
edit: nevermind, why am I thinking of that.

brain fart

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
to be fair i think "you're bad" is less of a personal insult than "QAC doesn't help pikachu's recovery" is false.

i mean both are wrong, but the latter is more wrong.
Don't worry, that's how life works. Nobody is truly right. Unless you like cookies more than brownies.

Something can seem busted when you have a low understanding of it. See: Umbreons last comment.

Player-0: Is one's skill and knowledge in handling a game mechanic not relevant? Also I doubt RCO is what held QAC back from being broken, lol. Even if that were true, then just revert it.
However my post before last did contain a pretty sick double entendre burn about his video game skills, so good that I wish I could like my own comment.
One's skill and knowledge is relevant but their placing in tournaments is a much higher factor and I believe that Lunchables takes that category. RCO was a pretty important considering killing was pretty hard in Brawl and RCO allowed a free F-Smash for most characters although I'm not a top and probably not even considered a mid tier Brawl player. Re-adding RCO would not fix the problem in my opinion. It wouldn't address the issue on why it's really good right now, the ability to jump out of it at any point in which you QA into the ground which grants Pikachu a ton of mobility (as it should) but it also messes with his recovery in the sense that there's no lag from using it from certain points.

If it were a debate, and you were making a point saying that your opponent isn't very good would be ad hominem (attacking your opponent rather than the points he made) and saying he needs to get better would imply he's bad, so it's the same thing.

@Umbreon and Taxgy If you can't make your points without insulting eachother, nothing will be gained from the discussion, so just stop.

@Odds bowser fsmash can kill jiggles at 0 if fully charged. Nerf now
Dafug is a strawman then. Wikipedia pls give me the power to search using your wikipedianess. Roy's Blazer killing Jiggz at 0% thouuugh. Best rest punish ever.

Foo

Smash Lord
Dafug is a strawman then. Wikipedia pls give me the power to search using your wikipedianess. Roy's Blazer killing Jiggz at 0% thouuugh. Best rest punish ever.
Strawman is arguing against a point your opponent didn't make, or over exaggerating something your opponent said. e.g. If I were to say fox needed a slight nerf to shine and upsmash and someone responded "there is no reason to nerf fox into the ground and make him bottom tier" that would be a strawman.

Last edited:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I actually think that avatar is super cute with that title and that name and that sandwich so adorable I just cant :c...(had to take a screen shot)

Player-0 your post is a bit contradictory, lol. Either RCO made the difference or it didnt. In any case, there's no point to using QAC to recover on stage and no one really used it that way in 6 years of Brawl either. If you successfully QA past your opponent and onto the stage, what point is there in QAC afterwards. What advantage does that provide you? If you QA past your opponent 9 out of 10 times youre just going to want to land on the ground and not care about QAC. Anything you could do with QAC would just put you at a disadvantage, the only exception I can think of is if you QAC back at your opponent at the ledge which isnt recovery related.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Cassio why do you have two accounts anyway? You better flaunt the Brawl Backroom tag with pride, dammit!

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion

It's called an Ad-hominem - argument on the person, it's attacking the person instead of the argument.

Ex: "I think anthropogenic global warming is real and a problem! CO2 is a proven greenhouse gas, which is why the planet isn't -4 degrees Celsius, and adding more increases global temperatures, which is linked to more storms and higher sea levels that endanger costal areas!"
"But you're stupid!"
- This does not actually answer any claims made, but attempts to discredit the argument by using the logic chain
A) X is stupid
B) Stupid people tend to be wrong
C) X is wrong about Y [even though Y may be factually correct - if X had said "2+2=4 in base 10", X would be right, even though this logic chain would appear to hold for some generic Y]

Straw-man is stating a weak or parodied version of an argument to debunk it more easily. For instance [this example is kind of sucky]:

My argument: The US military has provided stability by intervening in unstable areas, acting as a policeman of the world.
You: You said the US has made areas stable by killing people and trying to dominate other areas for their oil. That's stupid and we can see all the wars that cuased.
Me: Straw-man - I said the US intervening stabilizes areas - that includes sending diplomats to mediate, offering ground and/or air support to governments under assault from extremists, and attempting to eliminate violent elements in areas that have been shown to pose a direct threat to the US. And 60 years of Japan. Also, last I checked, since the US became the dominant power, there has not been a major war since WWII - as opposed to 2 world wars in a span of 31 years prior to US primacy.

Debater dood hopes it makes sense.

Also RCO lag only occurred from QA2C, not QA1C, if memory serves. Also I think Pikachu had relatively low RCO lag - only like 15 frames if Pikachu didn't fall very far and didn't fastfall.

QAC helps Pikachu's recovery - I know this because I know a player who picked Pikachu only because he's really bad at aiming at these small things called "ledges". That said, I fsmash him out of QA frequently on FD and make reads on other stages (go to platform or no?), so it's not really a problem. The way it buffs recovery is that unlike against Sheik or Falcon, if you hold ledge and jump onstage you aren't guaranteed a punish if they QAC.

Personally, I find this buff to be negligible, and something that helps Pikachu out in a needed way (the lag on QA is stupid in my opinion as well - just because it was a good move in 64 doesn't mean it needs to suck in Melee or PM), so I don't think nerfing QAC would be a wise idea in any sense. Never heard of that Lylat/SV tech you mentioned though.

Player-0 your post is a bit contradictory, lol. Either RCO made the difference or it didnt. In any case, there's no point to using QAC to recover on stage and no one really used it that way in 6 years of Brawl either. If you successfully QA past your opponent and onto the stage, what point is there in QAC afterwards. What advantage does that provide you? If you QA past your opponent 9 out of 10 times youre just going to want to land on the ground and not care about QAC. Anything you could do with QAC would just put you at a disadvantage, the only exception I can think of is if you QAC back at your opponent at the ledge which isnt recovery related.
QAC to recover onstage is really good against an MK who tornados prematurely at the ledge - with good timing you'll take center stage as they suffer tornado endlag and be in neutral without RCO. This timing is not that easy for this though. And you want QAC, not just landing, because even though tornado has at least 29 frames of endlag, that's not all that much really, so getting the QAC can make a reasonably large difference.

But saying that "QAC buffs Pikachu's neutral game and recovery too much, therefore it should leave" is a poor design choice - Pikachu has always been designed to have a strong recovery and reasonably good gimping game - in exchange it doesn't have consistent approaches, only a projectile to aid forcing approaches or slightly aid approaches (that is only really good in Brawl and maybe Smash 4 from what I've seen) and in that statement I include QAC (just nairplane through QAC or shoot a projectile - literally every character in PM can do at least one of those things and QAC approaches lose to BOTH).

I wasn't here for the source argument, so maybe it is more than that, but this argument seems fairly similar to the argument I have read elsewhere that Samus should lose her bomb jump since her recovery is too good - Samus's recovery being good is part of what makes Samus Samus.

Player -0

Smash Hero
RCO was ONE of a couple of factors in BRAWL that in my opinion made it okay.

QAC'ing doesn't automatically mean jumping out of it. It refers to any movement option that isn't just landing. WD'ing OoQAC can push you off a platform and effectively make Pikachu unpunishable by any characters that aren't completely dumb (M2 teleport -> Up Smash) or QA off of the QAC again to further put Pikachu in the center of the stage and at a better position. This allows Pikachu to "completely" disregard the design that's trying to be achieved by the PMDT which is to have jumping offstage to edgeguard be more risky but reap more of a reward and staying on the stage to be much more safe but still put the edgeguarder at a advantageous position.

@ Thor Thor I think I got it, maybe, possibly. For the SV/Lylat I'm referring to the fact that Pikachu can drop though platforms if he does a sort of normal QAC but holds down instead of jumping and then the Platform Cancel, which any character (barring Jigglypuff and VERY situational for some multi-jump characers [Mainly MK and Kirby]). It's more like a combination of stuff.

I believe that most of the people here are trying to advocate for a slight nerf in QA's ability to "completely" circumvent edgeguarding rather than lose it as a whole (I saw some people that wanted it gone though?). I think the best solution would be as Lunchables said and make it so Pika can't QAC from the second portion of QA. Even that somewhat hampers Pika's mobility but it seems like a viable solution.

That reminds me though that it differs from M2's teleport in the sense that Pikachu has a hurtbox (that I think increases in size unless they changed it in P:M, debug mode pls.). It also has travel time and is limited to jumping or doing something with a platform or the ground.

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
QAC is amazing, ma boi Anther goes deeeeeeeeep. This is an American game, you can't just wait for the Japanese to discover everything for you, you have to go out and invent tech for yourself.

Thor

Smash Champion
RCO was ONE of a couple of factors in BRAWL that in my opinion made it okay.

QAC'ing doesn't automatically mean jumping out of it. It refers to any movement option that isn't just landing. WD'ing OoQAC can push you off a platform and effectively make Pikachu unpunishable by any characters that aren't completely dumb (M2 teleport -> Up Smash) or QA off of the QAC again to further put Pikachu in the center of the stage and at a better position. This allows Pikachu to "completely" disregard the design that's trying to be achieved by the PMDT which is to have jumping offstage to edgeguard be more risky but reap more of a reward and staying on the stage to be much more safe but still put the edgeguarder at a advantageous position.

@ Thor Thor I think I got it, maybe, possibly. For the SV/Lylat I'm referring to the fact that Pikachu can drop though platforms if he does a sort of normal QAC but holds down instead of jumping and then the Platform Cancel, which any character (barring Jigglypuff and VERY situational for some multi-jump characers [Mainly MK and Kirby]). It's more like a combination of stuff.

I believe that most of the people here are trying to advocate for a slight nerf in QA's ability to "completely" circumvent edgeguarding rather than lose it as a whole (I saw some people that wanted it gone though?). I think the best solution would be as Lunchables said and make it so Pika can't QAC from the second portion of QA. Even that somewhat hampers Pika's mobility but it seems like a viable solution.

That reminds me though that it differs from M2's teleport in the sense that Pikachu has a hurtbox (that I think increases in size unless they changed it in P:M, debug mode pls.). It also has travel time and is limited to jumping or doing something with a platform or the ground.
Jigglypuff already circumvents that design anyway - the risk-reward for chasing her offstage is ridiculously low, while her risk-reward for going offstage is obscenely high. As I stated before, I think Pikachu is also a character that should mostly circumvent that design, and it works right now very well. And QA has enough startup to intercept it reasonably, or you can try to smash attack it from onstage (or dair it - I have daired at least a few Pikachus out of QAC to their doom while playing Falco and Link from onstage, fsmashed plenty as Falco and Link, and usmashed a few as a Pikachu - I have also dsmashed it as Falco). To say it "completely circumvents edgeguarding" is either you exaggerating their claim, or them exaggerating - the move does nothing of the sort if you're practiced at edgeguarding Pikachu, it only makes the stage a realistic option IF you are close enough to the stage to attempt a QAC.

steelguttey

mei is bei
please stop with the argument for fox being balanced is that everyone can 0-death him or get a good combo on him as well as he can multishine you. thats bull****. his combos are not only nearly universal, but they also lead into other combos if you **** up. worse than that, not even every character has a chaingrab or a 0-death combo on him. he isnt a character that just gets 0-death'd in the slightest.

plus this is smash and di exists

Tagxy

Smash Lord
QAC wouldve been fine regardless without RCO. And I never said it was limited to jumping. QA will takes you far into the stage with one shot, but regardless what point would there be in using it again when you've successful taken stage advantage from your opponent standing on the ledge? Moving any further just reduces that advantage and doesnt apply to recovery. Again the point being theres little if anything that QAC provides that QA on its own couldnt recovery wise.

Cassio why do you have two accounts anyway? You better flaunt the Brawl Backroom tag with pride, dammit!
Turns out I have three, bad life decisions. Lately I wanted my old school date but now Im missing my purple banner so tough choices. I regret it all. Havent played Brawl competitively in awhile though but I'll mess peeps up in multi-smash money matches.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
People saying QaC is broken for recovery:

Take a look at this video: http://youtu.be/RQWucJssaUs?t=2m41s

M2k sets an edge guard up at 80 percent with an ftilt fair. Axe side b's closer, then jumps and up b's. His Up b, being below the stage, had very few angles he could have taken. M2k recognized this and threw out a nair, which covered every reasonable option (the only other being angle away, than towards the stage and drift on stage, which is so slow that m2k could have still punished). Didn't need to go super deep, didn't need to have crazy disjoint, just smart hitbox placement. On a higher recovery, QaC becomes more of a factor, but plenty of characters have safe high recoveries.

As for approach:

I still think QaC should not be compared to Sonic's spins. He could interrupt as soon as he saw an unfavorable position, where as Pikachu has to commit to the full length (and thus, whether he goes into the stage and has the option the QaC). This why you generally don't see Anther, Axe, or ESAM ever use it to approach on an opponent. In the off chance they do, there is never really an option to approach, but still retain the option to retreat on a whim. So I really don't understand the sentiment of "burst movement with no commitment". There be a precise spacing where you can QaC diagonal down and forward and either jump/aerial attack or wavedash back/QA backwards, but I have yet to see it abused.

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
This why you generally don't see Anther, Axe, or ESAM ever use it to approach on an opponent.
Anther uses quick attack at all times, I saw him play not to long ago and he was styling on everybody. I saw him Quick attack onto a platform and drop down into reverse uair and pull this Marth player off stage.

WHO DOES THAT ****

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Use QA, sure, but in a straight up approach. He uses it similar to a dash dance (doing just outside of range). Its also worth noting that to a void using much more reactable QaC2, you basically have to be above them, which for most characters is very dangerous (also dangerously close).

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I think y'all should be talking about Ike too if you're going to be complaining about Pikachu.

I mean I don't think Ike is imbalanced at all in 3.02, but it's confusing me how people are saying QAC is borken when it just seems like a more limited version of QD.

Though I suppose Ike can't cancel aerial QD and doesn't have Pika's mobility either. In terms of recovery sure QAC makes Pika's close to stage nearly un-edgeguardable, but that has such a simple solution of "Pikachu can't QAC if he starts Up-B in the air" that it's barely worth further discussion.

If that's even necessary. "Stupid recovery" is a lot of what makes up Pikachu's playstyle. Though I suppose we can keep "stupidly large distance" and nix "Stupidly safe".

Thor

Smash Champion
I think y'all should be talking about Ike too if you're going to be complaining about Pikachu.

I mean I don't think Ike is imbalanced at all in 3.02, but it's confusing me how people are saying QAC is borken when it just seems like a more limited version of QD.

Though I suppose Ike can't cancel aerial QD and doesn't have Pika's mobility either. In terms of recovery sure QAC makes Pika's close to stage nearly un-edgeguardable, but that has such a simple solution of "Pikachu can't QAC if he starts Up-B in the air" that it's barely worth further discussion.

If that's even necessary. "Stupid recovery" is a lot of what makes up Pikachu's playstyle. Though I suppose we can keep "stupidly large distance" and nix "Stupidly safe".
QAC is fine. QAC is good. QAC is not broken. Pikachu is not broken. Pikachu is like mid-tier.

WHY DO PEOPLE WANT TO NERF THE MID-TIERS?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
>Say one thing about Pikachu

>All the Pikachu players come in like a Yellow Thunder Sh*tstorm to defend him

Jesus it's like you guys are Zelda mains

Last edited:
Top Bottom