• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Looks that way to me. Mew2King still had complete control over that much until he got grabbed / off stage. If all it took to be a good character was the ability to chain grab and edgeguard Fox, everyone and their mother would be a good character. Most of Salem's advantages came from Mew2King making mistakes, such as killing himself, missing a grab or u-smash, or directly challenging a Zelda attack.

This looks more to me like someone not knowing the matchup playing a good player who understands the character. You could see similar instances in Melee and Brawl. If you didn't know the Fox vs. DK matchup, it looked like DK totally destroyed Fox. In practice this was not the case, and I forsee a similar thing for Zelda. She may have some good matchups, but Mew2King got inside repeatedly and just didn't know what to do when he got there.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
No johns...Salem is a Brawl player. I'm not saying this is absolute proof that Zelda is great because it's a single set....but there are at least 10 sets like these with Zelda vs Credible/Great players and nobody seems to notice?

*shrugs*

whatever smashboards....putting characters like Zelda and Bowser next to Game&Watch and DDD...or lower...smh.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
M2K is a Brawl player, too. :p

I think every character is totally viable right now because everyone's still feeling for the optimal way to use each character and individual options, while pretty much everyone has matchup inexperience due to not having enough time to feel out every character yet. It's gonna be a while before we see many strong, reliable trends in winning, losing, and matchups.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
M2K is a Brawl player, too. :p

I think every character is totally viable right now because everyone's still feeling for the optimal way to use each character and individual options, while pretty much everyone has matchup inexperience due to not having enough time to feel out every character yet. It's gonna be a while before we see many strong, reliable trends in winning, losing, and matchups.
LOL, I can agree with that. I'm waiting for someone to be brave enough to say character X beats Fox/Falco.
Then it's really going to get good.

Oracle

Smash Master
I think you can solidly argue that ROB beats falco, but for whatever reason you guys seem to think he's still a bad character so w/e

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Yea, you can't just say "look, salem beat m2k in WS with zelda. top tier right here!" while ignoring the fact that he got beat twice in GFs. M2k's pm Fox was playing bad all weekend.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Yea, you can't just say "look, salem beat m2k in WS with zelda. top tier right here!" while ignoring the fact that he got beat twice in GFs. M2k's pm Fox was playing bad all weekend.
I understand. However, Why excuse M2k's failure to win against a person still learning the ways of melee? When he doesn't do well why not say he was playing bad/didn't know the MU?

Not to mention as I stated earlier it's just 1 match with 1 player...but I've seen at least 4 Zelda pull off equally great wins in different setting and states against the same level of competition. Is it a coincidence is the question I'm asking... I'm also asking if a bottom tier can pull that off. I never said Zelda was top.

In fact somewhere in my lists I usually put Zelda in A somewhere.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
but Salem is a retardedly smart player. Like, even compared to the other top level Brawl players, Salem is such a newbie, and he won Apex. Even at his first Apex, he came out of complete obscurity and beat the undisputed top player of his character in the ditto. I'm not the least bit surprised that he's able to pick up melee and learn it quickly. But watch his play in the first set, and watch it in the second set. The difference between them is 110% M2k. Salem had some really powerful gimmicks with Zelda that carried him through the first set. Once M2k figured out those gimmicks, he stopped getting overwhelmed by lack of MU experience.

tl:dr
I attribute that win 100% to Salem, not Zelda. She's not a bad character, but she's not a top tier threat based on that tourney at all.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
but Salem is a retardedly smart player. Like, even compared to the other top level Brawl players, Salem is such a newbie, and he won Apex. Even at his first Apex, he came out of complete obscurity and beat the undisputed top player of his character in the ditto. I'm not the least bit surprised that he's able to pick up melee and learn it quickly. But watch his play in the first set, and watch it in the second set. The difference between them is 110% M2k. Salem had some really powerful gimmicks with Zelda that carried him through the first set. Once M2k figured out those gimmicks, he stopped getting overwhelmed by lack of MU experience.:wario:

tl:dr
I attribute that win 100% to Salem, not Zelda. She's not a bad character, but she's not a top tier threat based on that tourney at all.
a Zelda almost beat M2K the day before that...just a fun fact i'm tossing out there....but anyways...back to tier lists.

S tier:
1.:fox:
2.:falcomelee:
3.:sheilda:
4.:sonic:
5.:diddy:
6/7:pit:/:mario:

S- tier
8.:peach:
9.:sheik:
10.:zeldamelee:
11.:marthmelee:
12.:link2:

A tier

13:jigglypuff:
14:bowser2:
15:snake:
16:lucas:
17:wolf:

A- tier
18:dk2:
19:ivysaur:
20:wario:
21:rob:
22:lucario:

B tier
23:falcon:
24:pikachu2:
25:ganondorf:
26:nessmelee:
27:charizard:
28:zerosuitsamus:
29:toonlink:
30:luigi:
31:ike:
32:squirtle:
33:dedede:

B-tier
34:gw:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
What I saw in those videos reaffirmed my opinion that zelda is a badly designed character. It might be due to the limitations on what they can do with her side b, but as of right now I think there are better ways to implement it.

Umm, lucario doesn't ignore shields because of shield pressure or moves that get spaced safely on shield....

He ignores shields because he can cancel anything he wants into sideb and grab you out of your shield.
Eh thats kinda true but its not as guaranteed anymore, the new start up lag makes it reasonably avoidable, at least compared to 2.1 lucario. Its still scary to shield against him lol.

D

Deleted member

*quickly updates my Excel spreadsheet*

I'll make my first speculation at a tier list. Tiers are not ordered, just going through the cast in reading order. If you want me to try and order them, I can, let me know.

Tier 1

Mario
Peach
Fox
Falco
Sheik
Sonic

Tier 2

Wario
DK
Diddy
Wolf
Link
Jigglypuff
Pit

Tier 3

Bowser
CF
Ganon
ZSS
Zelda
Marth
Ike
ROB
Snake

Tier 4

Luigi
Toon Link
Lucario
Pikachu
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charizard
Lucas
Ness
King Dedede
Game and Watch

k9.

Smash Ace
Tight someone knows about me XD. YOOOOOO WE NEED BRING THESE LOW TIERS UP THOUGH! KiraFlax let's do this ni'ggaaaa!

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Post videos in the freaking video thread then :p
People might actually see why Ness is good...

unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many vids of Ness at his potential.

k9.

Smash Ace
This weekend i have a tourney, ill post the vids from that. I have been focused on brawl ever since 2.5 came out, but ill make sure to put in work for ness! I GOT ALL OF YOU NESS MAINS! I PROMISE!!

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Cool stuff, hope to see your Ness soon.

I cant really create my own tier list yet, or the one I would make would be an eyesore of inaccuracies lol.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'll make my first speculation at a tier list. Tiers are not ordered, just going through the cast in reading order. If you want me to try and order them, I can, let me know.

Tier 1

Mario
Peach
Fox
Falco
Sheik
Sonic

Tier 2

Wario
DK
Diddy
Wolf
Link
Jigglypuff
Pit

Tier 3

Bowser
CF
Ganon
ZSS
Zelda
Marth
Ike
ROB
Snake

Tier 4

Luigi
Toon Link
Lucario
Pikachu
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charizard
Lucas
Ness
King Dedede
Game and Watch
I can actually get behind this list barring Zard and DeDeDe.

There are plenty but when you make an intelligent post in this thread people choose to ignore it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8TQxqPlKb0
I never noticed how much sethlon sidesteps and ragequits until now.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
highly uninformed opinion based on low-mid level play ^_^

high: falco, fox, marth, sheik, zss, sonic
mid high: wolf, bowser, ike, peach, wario
mid: jiggs, falcon, lucario, mario
mid low: pika, ganon, luigi, snake
low: squirtle, ivysaur, ddd

the ones missing i have almost zero experience with so i'm not sure. except I played a lot of Zelda, i think she's really fun and unique but I can't decide whether she's good.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
But you aren't the one in a GF match GMaster, there's no way your opinion can matter*

*Facetious. It seems necessary I put this here, as it should be obvious to most people why basing opinions on isolated GFs or isolated matches in general is dumb, but there are enough people that truly believe in their power and enough people that don't such that both sides would take this seriously without this addendum.**

**Addendums should not be longer than the main part of a statement.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
No... I only invent ToD or 50% combos that are inescapable, and rather easy to begin.

But seriously I see what you are saying, and honestly I can't say I'm the best, at Ness or anything else really. But I feel due to the fact I see options people ignore, and almost literally cringe with some of the things people do as Ness, I can state my opinion on the matter with some level of accuracy.

Other characters I stay away from talking about for the most part, but honestly I have only seen one or two others who use Ness at the level I do.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I can't really talk about Ness in the same light as Charizard since I just use the former for fun, but I know what you mean for sure. Like "I can't say for sure, BUT, I would suggest that you [a fellow player of the character] try out this next time around."

It took about a full year after my suggestion of Charizard's nair being so multifaceted that I started seeing Metroid even touch the move lol

Stage choices are the worst culprit I find. Charizard going to FD against Ness, Sonic going to GHZ against Charizard. M2K has been very good at using the stage and CP system to his advantage, particularly noticeable in his GF set with Salem. If Salem CPs to a large stage, he uses Falco, and if it goes to a smaller stage, he'll pick Marth, knowing that Salem isn't going to switch off Zelda.

Oracle

Smash Master
Umm... no offence... but if no DJC and FH->PKF is considered high level play atm... no wonder hes bottom...
Nowhere near what Ness is capable of.
That actually supports my argument: if awestin can go about even with one of the best players in the world without doing any of the advanced stuff, then imagine what he could do with a bit more tech skill.

Kink link: idk why you think that using tournament results to determine whats good is less accurate than some randoms on the internet theorycrafting? I'd think the people winning tournaments know why they're winning them

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Because unless you're looking at the very tiptop of players, the opinion of a person being weighted solely by their existence as a "tournament player" is still theorycrafting, results in a 1-2 month-old metagame don't really say much for character viability, and tournament rulesets still aren't fully established, the end result of which is that each tournament is regarding a separate metagame from the ones using different rulesets.

M2K's statement in his interview after his last vgbootcamp appearance echos a similar statement- That, regarding Melee, the top 4 players are PP, Manog, Hbox, then Jason, then a huge gap later are the other high-level players. Apply this to a game where there is no top level or established metagame at the moment.

Long story short I mean to say it's too early to be holding results in high regard. Give it a couple of years until the game has a consistent ruleset, high-entry tournaments, and developed metagames for all the characters to avoid jumping the gun on these kind of things. Toward the end of 2.1's existence, for example, Lucario just started emerging as truly ******** while Ike started seeing less success as the development of other players and characters came about. To be frank I think 2.5 was released a bit too soon and quite a few changes feel like they are in regards more to changes the public clamored for from 2.1 and less in regards to redesigning characters to better fit their envisioned build. A few characters feel like they were changed for the latter yes, but others just seem like they are there to calm the complaints.

Oracle

Smash Master
Because unless you're looking at the very tiptop of players, the opinion of a person being weighted solely by their existence as a "tournament player" is still theorycrafting, results in a 1-2 month-old metagame don't really say much for character viability, and tournament rulesets still aren't fully established, the end result of which is that each tournament is regarding a separate metagame from the ones using different rulesets.

Long story short I mean to say it's too early to be holding results in high regard. Give it a couple of years until the game has a consistent ruleset, high-entry tournaments, and developed metagames for all the characters to avoid jumping the gun on these kind of things. Toward the end of 2.1's existence, for example, Lucario just started emerging as truly ******** while Ike started seeing less success as the development of other players and characters came about. To be frank I think 2.5 was released a bit too soon and quite a few changes feel like they are in regards more to changes the public clamored for from 2.1 and less in regards to redesigning characters to better fit their envisioned build. A few characters feel like they were changed for the latter yes, but others just seem like they are there to calm the complaints.
This is a tournament game. We use tournaments to determine who is the best. If you know what you're doing, then you'll do well. If you don't, then you do poorly. With very few exceptions, all of the people winning tournaments know what they're talking about; since they know what's good and what's bad, they can use the good stuff to win. In addition, does it not also stand to reason that if someone is not entering tournaments or doing poorly in them, then their poor results are the result of their incorrect judgment of what's good and whats bad? Granted, their are other factors that can influence tournament results, but when you say that tournament results don't matter, you're saying that everyone who is better than you is wrong. Just consider the possibility that maybe your opinions could be wrong because of your lack of practical experience.

Rulesets don't affect tournaments as much as you'd think. In the bowser's revenge series we've gone through a different stage list at basically every iteration (out of 6) and our results have remained very similar. Good players will still win regardless of what stages are on.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That actually supports my argument: if awestin can go about even with one of the best players in the world without doing any of the advanced stuff, then imagine what he could do with a bit more tech skill.

Kink link: idk why you think that using tournament results to determine whats good is less accurate than some randoms on the internet theorycrafting? I'd think the people winning tournaments know why they're winning them
After playing Mew2King in Meta Knight dittos in Brawl for eight hours straight, I was able to take games off of him and end most of our games with a 1 stock on either side. I am not as good as Mew2King, nor as good at the MK ditto matchup as he was. I was simply able to adapt.

Similarly, my ROB was able to outplay many Snake and Marth mains despite my Meta Knight having both a stronger matchup and a stronger history of usage. This was not due to my ROB doing anything "special" (indeed, I did not implement anything past 2008 techs for ROB and used incredibly outdated edge-guarding and approach techniques), but rather my ROB's playstyle clashing with that of my opponent coupled with their own inexperience with the matchup compared to the more common MK matchup.

A similar explanation could be used for Sethlon. Many of Sethlon's "impressive" wins are used to express that player's skill with a unique character; from what I have seen, those with exposure to that unique character have done better over time. I believe Metroid's story of playing many matches against Sethlon went along these lines.

In addition, Awe's Ness has consistent exposure to the character and seems to have a different strategy than most. He seems to use unusual recovery tactics, sometimes simply air dodging in an attempt to take a hit and get a better position, and is rarely sitting on the ground when Sonic is approaching. Generally when Sonic approaches, he moves away and has a hitbox out to trade or out-prioritize Sethlon. In addition, he rarely "shares space" with Sethlon unless Sethlon is unable to control his character completely (such as when Sethlon is airborne, tumbling, rolling, or on fire via PK fire).

While these all sound like valid strategies in an attempt to slow Sonic down it is also the fact that these playstyle factors fall in line with Ness' natural character traits. He is designed to do such things to survive in all matchups. Standard Sonic play may be hindered by this playstyle.

In addition, while I agree with "tournament results are better indicators than theorycrafting", I disagree strongly with people winning tournaments know why they're winning with them. That in fact is merely an extension of "randoms on the internet theorycrafting".

As a proof, I can provide Ankoku's character ranking list for Brawl. Many people assumed that Dedede was a "broken character", and some presumed Meta Knight's strength was solely due to him countering Dedede. Time ultimately proved this incorrect, despite the majority of top players believing so. Additionally, I myself was the only ROB who was willing to call ROB a "bad" character for some time; one particular ROB (a green one!) from the west coast received much popularity by being an "aggressive" ROB, especially in the Snake matchup, which was in stark contrast to my campy style. He believed his style was superior and that ROB was actually a top character, 5th at worst. He ultimately proved to be a short lived phenomenon as people learned to counter his style. Despite being a tournament victor and having strong winnings, his theory proved less viable than tournament results over a period of time.

Additionally, "those who win tournaments know why they're winning them" is a logical fallacy when presented with a reality in which two tournament winners can disagree on similar ideas. Since our history in all Smash games is completely saturated with this, I cannot imagine this being correct. A tournament victor's perception in 2013 is unlikely to be much better than a "random's" perception in 2014, to put it simply.

Rulesets don't affect tournaments as much as you'd think. In the bowser's revenge series we've gone through a different stage list at basically every iteration (out of 6) and our results have remained very similar. Good players will still win regardless of what stages are on.

I would also disagree with this. Throughout Brawl's history we saw character diversity change slowly depending on different stage lists. The more conservative the stage list, the more conservative the character list. This has been true for both Melee and Brawl and has been incredibly predictable.

In fact, Falco in Brawl was predicted to have a rise in regards to certain rule changes that occurred. Falco then rose up higher. When the stage striking system popularity changed from 5 stages to 7 and 9 in most areas, Falco dropped significantly over time. That was simply due to the originaly stages not being narrowed down to stages Falco was good at, let alone counterpicks!

It takes time for tournaments to change results. Skill is more important as there is a dynamic gap in player skill while character/stage advantages are a static gap. They merely appear dynamic due to being associated with player skill. Given enough time, players will adapt to their environment. If you did not believe this, you would be completely okay with Items on and every stage on Random because results would not change very much; in fact we have held such side tournaments in the midwest and results were incredibly similar to the main event. Despite this, continued practice under such circumstances would result in a drastically different game. As an analogy, consider a group of people playing tag and then switching to hide and go seek. Originally those good at tag would be good at hide and go seek due to the overlap in skills, specifically running speed, coordination, and eyesight. As time went on, those who excelled at the new skill, hiding, would be able to succeed. It is unlikely one would find a savant that would immediately adapt to the new circumstances, especially if they were temporary. It takes time, even for small changes, for the results to manifest completely.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Me and Overswarm on the same side? Did a temporal rupture occur recently?

I never made the claim that tournament results don't matter or that people in tournament are inherently wrong. I see futility in arguing over points I never made.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Me and Overswarm on the same side? Did a temporal rupture occur recently?

I never made the claim that tournament results don't matter or that people in tournament are inherently wrong. I see futility in arguing over points I never made.
I don't know what point you're attempting to make, but I'm going to assume we are not.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
It's always to soon to take tournament results as the bible imo...but in this case it's WAAAAY to soon. Especially considering how much division there is among the smash communities involving PM. The best Players/Character in every region is different atm. The results are flip floppy and some reasons don't even have at least mediocre rep with some characters. If Mango for example moved to Rhode Island and started winning every event there with Game and Watch it wouldn't make the Character S-tier at all. Even if Game and Watch is in the end an S-rank...his reason for being S-rank can't be Mango winning in an isolated area. Which is what you see especially in the tournament results thread. Only a few things stand out in terms of results so far. Man thing being Spacies are still good....aside from that there isn't much to go on except these different groups of people do well in there own groups.

I say...give it at least a year...maybe 2. I mean...to this day the biggest event for PM was FC in 2.1. We need at least 10 more FC type events and we need to have international events too. The players from Brazil, Mexico, Europe, and Japan need to play the best players in the US

As of right now the top 5-10 player in the US in Project M is in doubt. minus regional rankings.

Basically bones logic is always bad....but in this case only 2 1/2 months in is especially stupid....

my 2 cents.

Top Bottom