• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Falco lasers also don't do 14% and combo into kill moves from more than Marth tipper range away,
Lol lasers don't combo into kill moves?

Approaching with a boomerang leaves Link incredibly open to punishment and is generally a bad idea against anybody who knows the matchup. Also, powershield exists.

Complaining about boomerang... Lol get better.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Lol lasers don't combo into kill moves?
"From more than marth tipper range away"

Approaching with a boomerang leaves Link incredibly open to punishment and is generally a bad idea against anybody who knows the matchup.
Who said Link *had* to approach with it? With Link's moveset plenty of things allow him to combo into boomerang or ease it in with bomb/arrow spam.

Complaining about boomerang... Lol get better.
While I don't think 'rang is OP it certainly is a strong and in some cases annoying move. Good job on being an ass, though.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
"From more than marth tipper range away".
Falco covers more ground than Link, meaning a laser from outside of Marth's range can combo with kill moves or death combos just as easily. Hence how Falco can approach a Marth.

Who said Link *had* to approach with it? With Link's moveset plenty of things allow him to combo into boomerang or ease it in with bomb/arrow spam.
To my knowledge, nothing true combos into boomerang at kill%. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Yes, Link tends to throw a lot of stuff, and can throw a lot of boomerangs, but it's a fairly slow, predictable, clankable, PSable, and punishable projectile that just doesn't warrant the kind of hate it's getting.

While I don't think 'rang is OP it certainly is a strong and in some cases annoying move. Good job on being an ***, though.
Completely agree with you. I see several people complaining that boomerang is OP and my honest response to that is they need to get better at the matchup and stop complaining, regardless of their skill level. there are much more broken things in this game and every other smash to complain about before boomerang.

Not trying to just be an ***, but rather trying to make a point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know what guys, this is the reason why some people get turned off from Project M. Every time a character has something really good going for them, people will ***** about it. A community of whiny know-it-alls isn't appealing. Stop it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You know what guys, this is the reason why some people get turned off from Project M. Every time a character has something really good going for them, people will ***** about it. A community of whiny know-it-alls isn't appealing. Stop it.
*Zelda Main*

Tier talk: why is ROB so bad, and yet so good?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Link's Boomerang sets up into whatever the **** Link wants it to and it's stupid because it can be used to make certain things Link does that should be punishable, hard to punish/unpunishable thanks to its shorter range and faster speed.

It really is a dumb projectile. Is there ever really a time when jump backwards and throw a boomerang isn't an option? It's as dumb as 2.0 Link rang imo.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
Inversely, all that **** is why a lot of people are turned off in the first place.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Essentially. Yes, the boomerang is good. No, it doesn't need to be nerfed. If boomerang is OP, than everything better than boomerang needs to be nerfed too. So Fox's usmash, Falco's blaster, Jigglypuff's rest, Meta Knight's nair, every shine in the game, etc. need to be nerfed. As someone who plays Wolf, Meta Knight, and occasionally Falco, I wouldn't appreciate that too much. So leave Link alone. He needs something good and a boomerang nerf could cripple a developing character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh no, Link has a really good projectile, and almost nobody seems to think that he's higher than mid-tier despite this supposedly ridiculous attack, but because the projectile is frustrating for some people to play around, let's nerf it and claim that it was because of "poor design." We're gonna fix what's not broken if it's the last thing we do, dammit! And let's get as many people as we can together who don't main Link/who haven't put in a huge amount of time and effort to learn how to play around something they find difficult to deal with and have them whine and make smart-ass remarks until we get the nerfs we want!

Inversely, all that **** is why a lot of people are turned off in the first place.
Not really. Newer PM players may have uninformed opinions about certain characters being "overpowered," but they'd still be willing to learn, grow, and play the game if it weren't for two things:
1 - The idea that they'll put a huge amount of time into learning how to play a character, only for the character to end up being drastically changed at some point because enough people complained.
2 - The elitist attitudes of some members of this community.

*Zelda Main*
What exactly are you implying? That because I like Zelda, my opinions are somehow less valid?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but not everything you post is hilarious. Sometimes you come off as a huge prick. If that was your intent all along, then you succeeded. Bravo.

Last edited by a moderator:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Bubble not burst, nor formed in the first place. I just found it funny that a Zelda player said don't complain about annoying stuff.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Oh no, Link has a really good projectile, and almost nobody seems to think that he's higher than mid-tier despite this supposedly ridiculous attack, but because the projectile is frustrating for some people to play around, let's nerf it and claim that it was because of "poor design." We're gonna fix what's not broken if it's the last thing we do, dammit! And let's get as many people as we can together who don't main Link/who haven't put in a huge amount of time and effort to learn how to play around something they find difficult to deal with and have them whine and make smart-*** remarks until we get the nerfs we want!
*cough cough* Seriously though. If Link is so OP, why isn't he S+ tier?

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
*DMG is too vague in post*
*SFTP fills in the blank the wrong way and takes offense*
Now I hope we've all learned a valuable lesson in maintaining clarity in our posts.

Cassio

Smash Master
Guys, I know how to balance pichu. Turn thunder into a OHKO. Clearly this wont be a problem since everyone can work around it and wont be broken :p.

But seriously, I think people can sometimes overemphasize balance at the expense of character design. If I have to make a character viable by giving him something stupid like an easy infinite chaingrab or some other oddly strong move, then I think its time to evaluate the design of that character. Snake is an examples of characters thats viable but not perfectly balanced. He has the ability to do well, yet may not be as consistent as his top tier peers. You don't need 100% balance but you do need good design flow.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
*DMG is too vague in post*
*SFTP fills in the blank the wrong way and takes offense*
Now I hope we've all learned a valuable lesson in maintaining clarity in our posts.
No I disagree with that lesson. I could clarify as much as possible, he's not gonna like what my post implied.

Zelda takes the fun outta the room. *Whoosh* There it goes!

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I have fun playing against Zelda and don't think she is particularly good relative to most of the cast >_>.

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
No I disagree with that lesson. I could clarify as much as possible, he's not gonna like what my post implied.

Zelda takes the fun outta the room. *Whoosh* There it goes!
It seems more like zelda is the prop for your fun. An ANGRY prop.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
well now we have to ban link because no one likes him so therefore all our opinions about him being broken are correct

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
Why don't you just use Diddy to sneak up on everyone with all that ridiculousness? There's no more direct way to prove your point. Same for Link whiners. Use Link to spread dismay across the land and pillage everyone's egos and then they'll start to listen. But you don't. Because YOU KNOW YOU'RE FULL OF IT. What NOW, huh?!

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
Why don't you just use Diddy to sneak up on everyone with all that ridiculousness? There's no more direct way to prove your point. Same for Link whiners. Use Link to spread dismay across the land and pillage everyone's egos and then they'll start to listen. But you don't. Because YOU KNOW YOU'RE FULL OF IT. What NOW, huh?!
I would use Diddy, but the screeching monkey screams start to get annoying after a while. :p

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Diddy will get his place and time

Very soon it shall be

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
I bet those screeches are having a hypnotic effect on you and that's why no one else understands your troubles

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
help
how do I beat MK with ROB
HOW
I'm having a hard time finding solutions to where he just double jumps above me at an angle (where ROB already sucks at covering), out of quick reach, and then randomly dives at me
I've resorted to just camping beneath platforms, and I'm considering just trying to take to the air with up-b's quickly canceled into fair for short bursts upward to try and land a hit with a wall, but then staying in their air too long gets me uair'ed, plus I haven't even tested that out yet but it sounds like it's not gonna work
if that were all MK could do from the air it would be fine, but having godlike aerials otherwise, a teleport, and 3 specials with disjointed hitboxes makes it feel impossible to challenge him until he lands
and then ROB happens to be slow as **** so punishing missed dairs with a JC grab doesn't seem like an option with MK's little endlag
plus MK's even fast on the ground, so getting a gyro out is hard without giving up stage space and/or giving my gyro away
Is this match-up really that garbage or do I just need to get better at it

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Zelda imo does need a revamp of sorts to make her "better." As for her being annoying I played a significant amount of friendlies, and as it turns out people have been practicing the Zelda MU, and playing them with Zelda is a pain in the ***. It's kind of like how Diddy becomes significantly worse once a counter-banana game exists. Again, my Link friend has become amazing with AGT glide tosses and bomb shenanigans and can actually use my bananas against me more effective than I can use them against him.

As for Link, there was an unknown SURGE of Link players at the tourney I went to. Like... Absolutely no joke, every other player either mains or secondaries Link. Playing a lot of them in friendlies I am slowly starting to realize boomerang really isn't that good and just needs to be played around. People complain about character specific traits that make them learn the MU, "we should just make every character play the same so counterplay doesn't exist." is an ideal that seems to permeate about this thread, a really bad one. The different MUs are what gives this game such flavor, you can't go pure space animal and win anymore because there are crazy counters to them... but guess what? There are crazy counters to the characters that counter them too... It's as if this game has quite the selection of viable characters....

Also Ganon is a pain to play against unless you can gimp him, and people underestimate the disjoint + KO power of his moves.. The ability to use a lasting bair or dair to gimp his recovery makes him significantly less menacing.

Going to tourneys and talking to people actually helped me understand a lot of things. I asked people about Zelda as I played solely her in the tourney, and the response I almost always got was, "She's kind of weird to play against, I just found a decent Zelda in my area and practiced the MU."

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I have limited knowledge about that matchup but you have to make most out of your ccing if mk is above you. Hold gyro and mixup between thowing it and aerial also can make up for your range disadvantage

Top Bottom